Lack of Raves V: Stark Ravin' Glad

Comments

• Selenity said:
    @Darvellan for saying hello and making my night by doing so. Was legit nervous/scared since the things I've been hearing outside my house have been... violent, given the ruling that was given in the US today (no, I don't live there), but somehow, that little sprinkle of RP with Darvellan calmed me enough to feel ready for bed.

Thanks Darv. You made my evening. <3

Dawww sexy pirate god guy is the bomb
    The playa you love to hate
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Many thanks to @Elanorwen who gave me a script for Mudlet that restores the one bit of Nexus functionality I was going to miss most. And for digging up Morbo's aetherspace package so I could learn some Mudlet tricks by comparing it with my Nexus scripts (which I'm chuffed to discover functioned much the same, right down to the autopiloting option). I even managed to make a gliding/steering toggle that works with number pad input. @-)

Little victories, y'all. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited November 2014
    Lavinya said:
    Raves for people who can separate themselves from their character. I'm with Riluna, I love to rp some good drama. But if it is driving you to complain (a lot) OOCly at people to leave you alone etc...you're too close and you probably need to take a break and remember that it's fiction, and fiction without some conflict gets real boring. Most of us have been in that boat at some point. Deep breaths.
    This is a little late but It's not a case of being unable to seperate self from fiction. I am able to do that, very well thank you very much. 

As far as I can tell, it is the angst filled flailing of some twit who decided to use me as a convenient target ...because I'm just there. The Hate came out of nowhere for no reason, as far as I can tell. Conflict RP, is more or less expected and consensual. In this case, I don't want it, I don't need it and most certainly didn't ask for it.

I.e raid the fire elemental plane, get caught and expect to get stomped. Insult a magnagorean when you're a celestian - expect to get stomped. Fair poorly in the elections, expect to not be liked for a while (or something). Voice an unpopular opinion in the wrong place and expect to get stomped and ostracized. 

This doesn't even fall under "protecting your own interests" because I make sure that I threaten no interest. The work I put into the shofangi, is effectively destroyed. I can live with that. I can put up with "xeria's we don't like you. BOO! You moved to the city". I can live with that too. What I will not put up with, is some idiot using me to get their fill of drama, by deliberately misunderstanding everything I say and twisting the meaning of my words. That's not even RP or story telling. That's like shitting in someone's living room, walking away and then denying the whole thing. Then running around convincing everyone else that I am responsible for the deed. 

Hrmph. 

------------------------
    EDIT

@Shaddus

@Rilunathis isn't aimed at you. I should have made it clear from the start. Sorry. OOC I still love you, but don't desire any more conflict RP
    is dead like the dodo
  • edited November 2014
    Everyone needs to take five minutes and to just hug and hum to themselves and just be happy dawg
  • @Lerad This conflict has absolutely nothing to do with the kind of conflict you're talking about. This is isn't a conflict over a clash of values and so on. 

That's one.

two: I am simply stating that I will not deal with petty idiocy any longer. The kind that deliberately twists and misrepresents in the pettiest way, for no good reason, even under the guise of "Rpees". If you wish to take that as "labeling all some kinds of rp" as "angst filled". That's you. Not me. Not my issue. We could play a whole 'nother pointless word game around this, but I'd prefer not to.

The conflict you're talking about, is built into the game. That's consensual. You as a player don't want to fight and make enemies, but its' bound to happen. By playing you agree to this kind of conflict in your game. I'm not referring to this type of Rp conflict. I'm talking about the "he said, she said" OOC/IC shenanigans. 

three: @Riluna this entire rant really isn't about you. you're just the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Four: character assasinations that make flaming sense (like what's going on in the shofangi right now, about my work) I can accept. This one makes no flaming sense. That is why I'm so angry. I'm getting drama for the stupidest of reasons that make no sense within the context of the game.
    is dead like the dodo
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Why are you so OOCly upset about what some computer text nerds are saying about you? Who cares? 

I'm willing to bet that your forum outbursts of angst and vitriol cause them to do whatever drama it is, even more so because your reactions are what they are gunning for. They're looking for your sweet buttery tears and you're just falling right into their hands

Your posts aren't even really making sense at this point. It's really hard to see that you're separating IC from OOC especially when you are saying you can't handle more conflict RP from @Riluna due to too much OOC drama (I don't even know if that's right, it's all a big smudge of reasonings)

Chill out bud, this kind of angst isn't worthwhile, you need to take a step back, take a deep breath and let it roll off you.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    You know, this convo would really benefit from two things: A log of said angsty idiocy, and its own thread.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited November 2014
    @lerad nevermind. I'm taking @Synkarin's advice. 

I do not need the line between OOC and IC explained, or a lecture on how to separate IC and OOC.

It's my situation and I'll be the judge of that. thanks. :)

-----------------
    Rest of Lusternia: Moving on!

So rave: Went hunting, made good gold. HA!
    is dead like the dodo
  • I don't see people saying quit I see us suggesting a break so people can get better with themself stressed players aren't good for the game or RL
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2014
    Rave time!

I'm raving because I'm handing off the library for the second time. Hopefully this one sticks!

I'm also raving for a statistic taken from LIBRARIES.I think it's a good legacy for my hopefully permanent retirement from librarianing.

********************The Library of Universal Knowledge*********************
    Recent Book Rating: 2518 - Book Count: 115

*******************The Archives of Illuminated Mysteries*******************
    Total Book Rating: 3264 - Book Count: 115

Hallifax has as many recent books as Gaudiguch has total books. Sure, Gaudiguch has more points (I think from prestige wins more than length, although I'd have to do way too much counting to be sure) but even being equal on volume counts is pretty nifty.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Shaddus said:

At the end of the day, Lusternia is just a game no matter how much money, emotions, and hard work we've invested into it.

TL;DR: Your mental wellbeing is important. Take any steps you need to keep things from harming it.

• I would totally welcome a new thread, since this conversation is way, way off from the initial rave now.

Briefly, @Iytha, and not with the attention your points deserve, I agree that emotional investment is absolutely necessary simply to enjoy the game. But emotional investment is NOT mutually exclusive with player/character separation. Your character can be completely passionate about something you truly don't give a damn about, and vice versa. It gets a lot more complicated than that.

Lerad's advice was actually quite fine. Ultimately, the goal here for all of us should be fun. If a game is causing you that much pain, it's very simply not a game for you anymore. Taking a step back to take a breath, to take your bearings (maybe even find out where things went wrong?) is actually very healthy. If it's not fun, continuing to log in for the sake of habit, when it might actually be harming your emotional well-being is not healthy at all.

I don't think anyone is belittling or mocking Xeria. Not at all. I've been there, too, and at the time, exactly what I needed was a small break. Sometimes we just get a little too invested. Nobody is telling her to leave forever because she can't handle something. Just to stop and take a breath.

Secondly, I have no idea where this came from:

Did you ever wonder why roleplay intense games have such a high suicide rate in their playerbases?

I've never heard this before, and all the studies I've come across actually suggest the opposite, that all forms of video games reduce the risk of suicide. The only causal link found was in those who played games "excessively" (5+ hours daily). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21463355 Lots of studies in this one: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/whatis/psychology.html

A break (not quitting) could be a very, very good idea, especially when we've forgotten how to take one, and become way too emotionally involved.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • I'd like to throw out a thanks to @Kurut for helping me out with my Collegiate stuff. It was really frustrating getting hit with Stupidity, finding out that the listed cure doesn't work, looking for the actual cure to find out no shops in the city sell it, all the while your character is falling asleep, yelling and eating random things. I was actually about to just stop playing Lusternia at that point, but Kurut to the rescue!

Also thanks for the help with the cocoon! :P
  • Portius said:
    Rave time!

I'm raving because I'm handing off the library for the second time. Hopefully this one sticks!

I'm also raving for a statistic taken from LIBRARIES.I think it's a good legacy for my hopefully permanent retirement from librarianing.
    You have probably jinxed it, and Nordin, now.
  • This rave is for @Daganev, for putting up with angry Kurut's crap and not losing his cool. Much <3
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Badass @Lisaera is badass. Right, @Kregarn?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said:
    Logs or gtfo.

(no, really. We want logs)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I will break forum silence to agree with Everiine. That was both unexpected and delightful.
  • Whoa, where did suicide come from? There're plenty of points I want to rebut, but eh, I've derailed raves enough. I'll just say one thing: While I certainly don't rate myself very high on the empathy scale, I also most definitely did not belittle Xeria's emotional response. If you actually read my post, I even stated that she has every right to be outraged... when certain specific situations happen. Sure, we might disagree on when or what circumstances constitute those "specific situations", but in no where did I say her emotions was to be disregarded, or was somehow bad. I simply defended certain RP actions from being broadly labelled as unacceptable when there is a lot more nuance to it.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Shaddus said:
    Everiine said:
    Logs or gtfo.

(no, really. We want logs)
    You're going to hate me, but I didn't keep any logs this time :( .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I have no idea how @Everiine puts up with Selenity, but I love him for it all the same. The RP with you is great dude. Thank you for letting my character be herself (and for letting me not RP a happy-go-lucky char constantly). You are awesome.
  • Lerad said:
    Whoa, where did suicide come from?
    God Blogs, and the personal observation that the average suicide rate in the US has remained steady at around 12 per 100,000 for the last decade. If we got together a thousand MUDs the size of Lusternia and combined their statistics, we should expect to see, on average, just one suicide related death in the entire collection over the past decade. Lusternia, all by itself, discounting the entire rest of the MUD community, has had at least two.

Even if nobody in this thread is considering it, it's still an issue. And I think my broader point of "Maybe it should become a community norm to back off when someone says OOC that they're feeling stressed out." is a good one. We can't rely on the person who is stressed to make rational choices about whether they need a break: the whole reason they might need a break in the first place is that emotional stress makes people do things they regret later.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Twenty-four bits of silvery essence are absorbed into the bark of the Moonhart
    Mother Tree.
    You have received the Flame of Glinshari ikon as a quest reward!

48811 Serenwild legendary prop 1x the Flame of Glinshari     
  • HA! Furniture in the Emerald Fox Cafe.

All but the table.

many thanks to Lord @Darvellan
    is dead like the dodo
This discussion has been closed.