Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    It was just a general comment. Didn't mention any names because it's not specifically directed at anyone.
  • Lehki said:
    @Havastus there's more I want to set up to be able to better parse some of the data, but I could get a minimally formatted summary organized by tomorrow probably. :D

If you'd like some help with anything, or even a second pair of eyeballs, feel free to reach out to me. I greatly enjoy working on data analysis problems like this, and compiling a history of elected officials within the game is of particular interest to me!

• edited February 2016
    The best advice I can give about Ascension is to play to your strengths, this -strongly- includes the backing your Org can provide. If you know that your organization can simply not stand up to the flood your rivals have, then I suggest focusing on events that do not incorporate group involvement.

Events like:

Knowledge
    Justice
    Beauty
    Nature (to a degree)

Are your best bet, since you can get involved in those without sabotage from others, and it is your best chance at a win.

Events like:

Harmony
    Death
    Life
    Chaos
    Nature (again, to a degree)

Are best to think of in strategic terms, 'Can my org handle it, or will we be trampled?'. These events tend to be heavy on the group involvement and sabotage, and unless you have the defense victory will likely not be achievable.

War is a special case, in that it both depends upon player skill, as well as group involvement (being a 3 on 3 battle). It really comes down to analyzing whether you have skilled individuals in your org/alliance that can handle the mettle.

The reason I double mentioned Nature is because I have seen situations where sabotage was near unnoticeable (since frankly it is all about going to 1 spot, hitting the button, then figuring out where next), as well as situations where somene has been locked down and left to cure out of the mess.

• I can't compete with merchants who don't value their own time. Kind of a bummer.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Go into challenges expecting nothing but stress and a lot going against you. Any success you get, whether it's winning a challenge or even just doing enough to get a mention in the announce post, feels so, so good.

Of course, that's not to say I haven't been frustrated with challenges too (I felt physically sick for a day after Nature), but if I gave up at any point I would have had no idea I could win a seal at all.
  • Decided to just make my bardic submission straightforward and fun with some Lusternia-based haikus. Not every submission should be super serious, in my opinion
  • I'm curious as to why Ascension leads to such frustration. I understand that it's the most epic regular event that we have, but are TAs that crucial to success (no offense to all the TAs out there) that fair play needs to go out the window?
  • It's the ultimate, exclusive character buff and feather in the cap.  Access to advanced demi powers (and more weight to use) is significant, longer domoth claims are handy, so on.  Even that really small difference between level 100 and level 101 is just one more way to feel that you accomplished more, are more elite.  Some people thrive on that.  I'd say most people want the satisfaction of feeling 'better' than the next guy.  It's a very basic part of human nature.

Hence, it's a huge source of competitive drive.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited February 2016
    Fair play never "goes out the window," unless someone is abusing a bug or exploiting a loophole (in those cases, they get disqualified, however). Interference is fair, as outlined by the rules of the events handed down by the administration. 

There hasn't been a seal this year that wasn't won fairly, as defined by the rules.

edit: As to what drives people to compete, it's what Eldanien said. It's a semi unique character perk and very few of them in Lusternia. Special snowflake status etc etc

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Also, 12800 for max vitals is pretty nice.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    All that has been done is fair play according to the rules, considering no one has been shrubbed or tutted by the admin so far. Calling a tactic you dislike dirty or unfair is a key part of scrub mentality.
  • edited February 2016
    Sorry, that was apparently a poor/false choice of words. My question was really about the larger feelings tied into Ascension events. I haven't followed closely so I can't personally claim to have seen anything that I'd consider unfair. I just got a sense that an undercurrent of frustration stemmed from what people perceived as dirty tactics being utilized to win.

My bad! Didn't meant to offend anyone.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    It's only dirty when you lose, else it's a creative application of strategy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    9.00 a spin? Nah, bro. I'm good.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • It's only 7 if you buy 50 of them. ;)

It would be nice if we had a better idea of what the actual reward range would be. It would suck a lot if the "better chances for artifacts" ended yielding a bunch of 10-20 dingbats.

If someone does try out the promotion, do record your spins and let us know.

• $15 for 5 coins pls?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Or at least 1-2 coins for a lower price? I'd be more inclined to try one out for cheaper.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, not happening. I'll stick with my traps and bottles coins.

Mmm, I lied. Going to wait to see a few more results, but I might bite at this after all.
  • Don't worry guys, wonder crystal promo is still on so get your double credits while you can.
  • Chirbo said:
    $15 for 5 coins pls?
    With this I could kick myself and still whore myself on this promo

Win win
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Talan said:
    I can't compete with merchants who don't value their own time. Kind of a bummer.
    I feel you on this one. This is why I can't take shopkeeping seriously and just restock when I have time (not necessarily when things run out). On the flipside, if it looks like I'm underpricing things ya'll can feel free to message me - chances are I'm just too lazy to check the overall market prices.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Vivet said:
    Talan said:
    I can't compete with merchants who don't value their own time. Kind of a bummer.
    I feel you on this one. This is why I can't take shopkeeping seriously and just restock when I have time (not necessarily when things run out). On the flipside, if it looks like I'm underpricing things ya'll can feel free to message me - chances are I'm just too lazy to check the overall market prices.
    Will join in to this boat. Restocking is time intensive and market research is even more so. I have my own formula on how to price stuff as I can't really afford the time checking other shops for every item I put on sale. But then, I don't think anybody ever stumbles upon my shop unless I yell 'I sell cookies' over the aether, so this is less of a problem for me.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm in shopkeeping to make gold, but the super comm mines mean there are people who can make things dirt cheap. I try and source the cheap commodities (thank you genies for helping with this) and I aim to price fair so my items sell without being so cheap I don't make gold and I'm undercutting everyone. 

Most things aren't worth it in shops anymore, to be honest, because of how cheap they can be made. Good for newbies to get easier equipped, sucks for merchants.

• And again the broken economy takes a starringb role in tweets. I'm actually more eager to see a sort of Economy Overhaul before the guild overhaul, as excited I am for the amazingness of Gaudi's new guilds.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Gotta love free markets!

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• More gold sinks, increase taxes on the 1% (whichever one or two people that is,) and better social programs for novices! #ThulForDeveloper2016
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I finally experienced the insane gold/economy when in one run of the spawns of the Horde in the Hifarae Hills--a midbie area--I walked away with tens of thousands of gold. Spawns were dropping 800-1000 gold. I'd never seen that happen before.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    I finally experienced the insane gold/economy when in one run of the spawns of the Horde in the Hifarae Hills--a midbie area--I walked away with tens of thousands of gold. Spawns were dropping 800-1000 gold. I'd never seen that happen before.

The longer it's been since a mob's died, the more gold it drops. Seren's generally pretty good at making sure those things don't see the light of day. Those sort of amounts generally aren't spammable. Generally.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    It means no one has been hunting spawns in a while, which is pretty rare.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Yeah, it's a good thing I shopkeep because I like stocking things it can be difficult to find (clothing that isn't robes, jewelry just for decoration's sake, rune bags, etc.) and just sort of have to accept that I'm never going to make back even a fraction of what I put into it. :( My pricing is almost entirely based off of estimates of how much materials took plus 50%, unless there was extra effort needed in its construction that I feel I should be compensated for. This means some of my stuff is never going to sell unless someone really wants that particular thing, because I'm not going to join in on the endless undercutting party. 

At least there will always be people who buy socks and pants...
This discussion has been closed.