Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Meanwhile, I just assume everyone is an alt and there are no true newbies anymore.
  • edited March 2016
    meh...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Guys, the Nature domoth saves the economy. Ba dumm tsss...
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Wish there was some way to limit the amount of defenders someone could have based on PK STATUS or something. I can handle one person showing up to defend, but seven people against one is how you get people never declaring and the same staring contests over and over again. Let people die, let other people declare someone they can't kill, let them learn. Stop stifling all combat to group combat in conflict events, please.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You do not need to declare off-Prime... there are large swathes of the game with no limitations whatsoever. Prime is not intended for you to be able to murder someone without them being able to be defended; the "victim" is given an intentional advantage. Glom and Seren have all kinds of fun in Faethorn, no events needed.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Not sure why I'm here.

Qistrel said:
    Not sure why I'm here.

Tweeting is fun!
  • Prime is purposefully PK-limited; that's the whole point of Avenger. On the other hand, that means all the higher planes are Open PK, people should expect to be PK'd, none of that "but I was just passing through etc. etc. cry cry". 
    See you in Sapience.
  • Was reading some of my old logs today. Saudade.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    There is an exception to that, though; novices / lowbies trying to do their planar tasks should be left alone.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2016
    @Blaeke

It's not quite that simple
  • @Celina I know, but I can dream. 

Like wouldn't it be cool if your credibility could be effected by sanctioned duels? Where you bought a glove from a tailor and challenged someone, and if they accepted there would be a fight (either side: winning would increase your credibility, losing costs you none because it's an honourable death) while if they declined they would lose some of their credibility (read: honour). It would work from an RP standpoint because someone with no honour would be shunned from speaking on city or market aethers, and mechanically would allow for 1v1s. 

But I suppose to keep people like Synkarin or Kaimanahi from running people into the ground, only one decline a month would negatively effect your credibility. 

It's just frustrating trying to do something and not being able to, so I want to complain. Because I am a frustrated kitty.
  • Lack of Avenger won't get you what you want, which is satisfying duels. That would require, before anything else, a change in mindset among most of the game's community to value one on one versus everybody pile on (because that may be the only way we're gonna hold someone down long enough to actually kill them.)
    And then you'll probably need tweaking to reduce the effect of 10+ years of artifact-based power imbalance.

Sooo... an org with a group of people with gloves could just go challenge a cluster of opponents / lowbies and prevent them from being able to participate in any of the rest of the game because they either get stomped or just refuse the challenge (limiting it to 1x per month would only make it take longer, but with the same inevitable end). The only way to win if you do not fight is to just not play. No thanks to anything that forces people into fights and penalizes them for not wanting to / not doing well. Sure, you can be frustrated, but abusable new mechanics are not the answer either.
  • So that's the difference between you and me, you automatically assume the worst of EVERYONE. And that's easily fixable by having your honour reset after a month of no challenges. If they don't participate in any combat things like you said, they're likely going to be in their protected zones. A month without a challenge and boom, they're back to normal, and the RP standpoint is that you step away from the public eye to allow yourself to leave the gossip pool.

And if an enemy is running into your territory to try and challenge you, they're going to get killed. Have the glove not work in enemy territory as well, since my dreamed up system is fun to think about.
    edited March 2016
    Any forced duel PK system is likely to explode in everyone's face. 

Just off the bat, being forced to care about "honor" or other people "shunning" you is a strange concept as far as RP goes, since it works on the assumption that everyone who PKs also RPs the same code of honor or that they give a crap what Steve on market thinks about them

Classes are also not all created equal. Some are great in groups and so-so in solo (or utterly bad in solo), where as all classes are more or less designed to have such valuable niche in group PK. This sort of system encourages a new meta that punishes those playing classes for group support, which bring a very real value to their org. A bard is great in groups, but octave is garbage in solo PK which leaves most bards with no real way to kill at the top tier. I don't want to have to play pyromancer because I might be challenged at any moment, when most of the fights are in Faethorn and Pyrochem is infinitely better in that situation.

If I'm a pyrochem, and some monk jumps me, I'm not going to stick around and duel them because it makes no sense to do so. Class design is just overwhelmingly not on my side, but that doesn't mean Joe the 1 button monks is "better." 

Problem is that you do not need to assume the worst of everyone, but only of a few people. Did you know that during the period when we had the ability to have a KILLS ranking, there were a couple of players who started farming newbies for points (and they did not even do anything but bragging rights). Having it reset entire voids the point of the whole system too; from one end, it means that someone can drop the whole penalty in one day simply by manse sitting. From the other, you are telling someone that because they do not want to PvP, they need to not play the game for an entire day. Either way is Not Fun. People play games to have fun, we do not need a system that forces PK-or-don't-play.
  • Reminds me, cities need a Faethorn-like area for incidental PvP. Shared elemental or something. There's not really anywhere near as good a PvP outlet in the game.
    Thul said:
    Reminds me, cities need a Faethorn-like area for incidental PvP. Shared elemental or something. There's not really anywhere near as good a PvP outlet in the game.

I feel like Crystal Meadows was kind of intended to work this way, but for myriad reasons it does not pan out (and just became a gateway hub). The area already exists, though! Make permanent ways to get there from Elemental planes, add a reason for all cities to go there to do some things (probably involving adding new rooms, unfortunately), and you would have something comparable (though preferably unique).
    That would require making a plane everyone cares about for some reason to constantly watch over and patrol and that they can see from their nexus. 

And not a Maeve 2.0, because we're all about sick of that ho.
    As I said, preferably unique. :p
  • edited March 2016
    nevermind
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Better off making a voluntary system whose optimal solution is to not go for it when no one is around ala domoths.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Micro seal challenges that one org challenges another to, 24/48/168 hours later, magic/epeening happens based on collected scores. Only one org at a time can hold the championship belt mini-seal at a time, and whatever benefit it confers continues while challenges are active. (Losing org cannot challenge again until someone else does so, built in challenge queue, and/or any org can jump in on an active challenge) to avoid/curtail alliance cheesing.

Off-the-cuff idea.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That awkward moment when Serenwilde has to call in Celest and Hallifax, and Lisaera as a melder.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Blaeke said:
    Wish there was some way to limit the amount of defenders someone could have based on PK STATUS or something. I can handle one person showing up to defend, but seven people against one is how you get people never declaring and the same staring contests over and over again. Let people die, let other people declare someone they can't kill, let them learn. Stop stifling all combat to group combat in conflict events, please.

I for one agree with this. If I hit an order mob, defile a shrine, or sneak into an org and kill someone, only a limited amount of people should be able to retaliate. Maybe only a list I can choose from.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Chirbo said:
    what

I logged on for the first time in a while and noticed wyrdnanigans going on. So while we're raiding Serenwilde, Lisaera shows up to the defense party with a cudgel in one hand.
    Qistrel said:
    Not sure why I'm here.

Because we miss you.
This discussion has been closed.