Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2016
    Enyalida said:
    A lot of times, someone "Screaming for allies over one enemy" is actually just an automated clan caller for a demesne or other sensory effect. I know I usually leave my caller toggled to report any org enemies (or members of enemy orgs), so even if I don't think we really need to muster the troops, I'll still autocall out the location of the enemy and people will swarm on their own. Like, it's nothing personal or necessarily intentional, and you shouldn't read too much into it.
    It's not that difficult to tell what it is, especially when there's no demesne present to trigger that effect. 

It is nothing personal, it is still hilarious when people do it. The entire North opted out of death because it was going to be hard, but 1 raider, and they're crawling out of the woodwork. Really not sure anyone is going to buy the "it's not intentional" song and dance. I give them more credit than that, people know exactly what they are doing.
  • Iytha said:
    Arix said:
    There is a person running around Lusternia named Kahless. As a semi-Trekkie this irritates me
    As a former Kalas, this also irritates me.
    Although it does mean there is potentially a youngish person out there who knows who Kahless is, and that makes me happy.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Enyalida said:
    A lot of times, someone "Screaming for allies over one enemy" is actually just an automated clan caller for a demesne or other sensory effect. I know I usually leave my caller toggled to report any org enemies (or members of enemy orgs), so even if I don't think we really need to muster the troops, I'll still autocall out the location of the enemy and people will swarm on their own. Like, it's nothing personal or necessarily intentional, and you shouldn't read too much into it.

I don't buy that really. You leave this on because you -want- your buddies to know who is walking in/out of a demesne, or who you are fighting, so they come to help you. It's not hard to set up group calls to be toggle-able and it's just a convenient excuse. I don't mind if people rush in. I may say something like 'No fun' or what not, but lets call it what it is. A intentional call so all your allies know what's going on, so they can come help you.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Eh, the amount of spamming people do when they're calling bashing targets leads me to believe that people just are lazy/don't know how to make a toggle-able caller.
  • Defending org territory has always been a different thing to people then participating in Faethorn scuffles or Domoths. There's more of a feeling of obligation or pride to do so, or at least that's how it is for me. I think I've been involved in at most 2 or 3 fights outside of Etherwilde in recent times.

Pulling out discretionaries is definitely over kill for a solo raid though, which I'd probably blame on jumpy or cynical Security members who need to chill.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    If I hear a call of "enemies in Faethorn" and I'm around...

I'm probably going. If the person you jumped was that idiot who was calling for fair duels and called wolf, yes, please call them out, but someone says enemies in place that makes them killable, I'm coming. And it's on the fault of whoever cried it out.

Also, I love the use of snub, although that may not be the whole story, it is still reflective of what usually happens.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2016
    Synkarin said:
    Enyalida said:

I don't buy that really. You leave this on because you -want- your buddies to know who is walking in/out of a demesne, or who you are fighting, so they come to help you. It's not hard to set up group calls to be toggle-able and it's just a convenient excuse. I don't mind if people rush in. I may say something like 'No fun' or what not, but lets call it what it is. A intentional call so all your allies know what's going on, so they can come help you.

Thank god the truth has nothing to do with what you will or will not buy. I had a fairly complex toggling watch thing, but when I migrated to my new computer I lost most of it, and it's just a default part of my generic demesne setup now - I haven't had the gumption to go in and fiddle with my code yet. Judging from how many people I hear constantly announcing spectacles entrances from places like Avechna's peak where it doesn't make sense to opt into calling, I'd be willing to bet that lots of people just have simple callers sans toggles also. It may certainly be that someone manually called that @Celina was raiding in this case, but.. Celina was raiding and the broad brush is uncalled for (and gross).

You're welcome to assume malicious intent or some kind of inherent inferiority all you want. My default assumption is to assume that people are just swell until proven otherwise.
    Way to be defensive there. I must have struck a nerve.

No one implied malicious intent. I didn't imply inherent inferiority (Celina may have). I'm simply calling it what it is. You want people to know when that stuff's happening, so you call it out. If you didn't, you wouldn't. No where did I say you were less of a person, or had some malicious goal of ruining my day by calling things like that out. I'm addressing the behavior, not the person here.

I don't see nearly the same issues about target calling or demesne calling on the South's combat clans. When there's calling, there's usually a fight, involving quite a few people. It's usually not something that happens randomly and certainly nobody that's ever just called from the peak.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    If anything, when I cared, I purposefully turn target calling off so people don't show up on my side.
    I tend not to like being called a liar in public for no reason. I also don't particularly like other people deciding why I do things, or what my 'true' intentions are, or whatever. 

You might hear people calling from the peak in the southern alliance clan, but it happens all the time in the northern - most of the callers seem to just be on all of the time, especially Celest/Seren. I think most of the Hallifaxians use the same setup (judging by the same starting call), which defaults to off and toggles on for fights, but everyone else appears to have a simple self-made setup. So no, it's not necessarily an intentional call for people to come help you. I actually have an alias for that, that calls out for people to DEFEND me and declares my attacker and location - I use it mostly for the group staring contests when someone breaks and declares. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Enyalida said:
    Synkarin said:
    Enyalida said:

Thank god the truth has nothing to do with what you will or will not buy. I had a fairly complex toggling watch thing, but when I migrated to my new computer I lost most of it, and it's just a default part of my generic demesne setup now - I haven't had the gumption to go in and fiddle with my code yet. Judging from how many people I hear constantly announcing spectacles entrances from places like Avechna's peak where it doesn't make sense to opt into calling, I'd be willing to bet that lots of people just have simple callers sans toggles also. It may certainly be that someone manually called that @Celina was raiding in this case, but.. Celina was raiding and the broad brush is uncalled for (and gross).

You're welcome to assume malicious intent or some kind of inherent inferiority all you want. My default assumption is to assume that people are just swell until proven otherwise.
    Yeah man. We're just so bad for having automated demesne callers (or area callers for Spectacles), and we need to accommodate you elite PKers by making a toggle for you. I know it's so tough.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    To be fair, I think Celina herself was criticised about not bothering to set up a toggle at some point and then did, so it's kind of weird to see it coming up again like this. Can't remember who was complaining at her, though.
  • edited March 2016
    Willing to give out my target caller setup. Includes toggle and choosing which clan to call to.

edit: for Mudlet.
  • 2-5 am raids on etherGlom and it's okay 'because Nienla does it'. Really? That's primary school logic. Why don't you do any of this during any of the time you were on when there wasn't just one person capable of defending on? That's when Nienla does it. The stories of her getting finally killed by five+ people are testament to that.
  • Yeah man, Nienla kicking mobs in villages and running outside to wait for defenders to get bored and leave before doing the same thing again....

She's a real exemplar of what "raiding" is supposed to be about.
    And like... stalking Serenwilders in Faethorn scant minutes beforehand. With you. 
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I am not sure what to think about kephera-loyal people asking Nikkakorra to raise Cthoglogg so they can then do the counter-quests.
    :-/

• 2-5am for you isn't 2-5 am for everyone else. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Arix said:
    There is a person running around Lusternia named Kahless. As a semi-Trekkie this irritates me
    It is okay...only a clone and not the original.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Celina just wanting to point out that not everyone from the north 'opted out' on death. Some of us stuck around and tried to aid those that were actually trying. Did not really work too well for us.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I just find it amusing that two years ago it was the North ranting about 2-5am raids. Nothing much has changed!

P.S. The old Glom Squad that won 1v3 (aftermath of the hai'Gloh event) should raid more, I'd be interested to see how soon the rants and justifications become flipped.
    See you in Sapience.
  • edited March 2016
    Niico said:
    2-5 am raids on etherGlom and it's okay 'because Nienla does it'. Really? That's primary school logic. Why don't you do any of this during any of the time you were on when there wasn't just one person capable of defending on? That's when Nienla does it. The stories of her getting finally killed by five+ people are testament to that.
    Haven't done late night raids in pretty much 2-3 weeks and even then, they were retaliation for Avurekhos, Yarith, Taevyn doing it. I've also done it when Seren has had capable defenders around. The fact that they were unable to stop me despite it being easy to do so isn't my problem.

The North has had plenty of opportunity to raid when you've had a ton of people, but you still didn't because we actually had people around to fight you off. We can stop pretending that it's anything to do with my character and everything to do with the fact that the North doesn't fight unless it has an overwhelming advantage. (See: Turtling in a Fury Meld or defending in an area with shrines/discretionaries)

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that I've received logs of some of you on House of Shadows asking people to use Farscout to see specifically who is around in the South before you went and raided. If you couldn't see people, you went and did it. While I don't like to mudsling, I don't really like my character being used as an excuse. You know what you're doing. Additionally, the North was doing it long before I became active again. Just own up to it.

Edit 2: @Falmiis: Nienla hitting Acknor yesterday was actually to just pull you lot down from Astral on request. It worked, unsurprisingly, and you had a chance to attack me directly but didn't. Celina's point about just wanting to zerg people is pretty spot on as you and Aeden both had an opportunity to fight me (as I stuck around in Balach for an extended length of time) while my declare timer towards Hallifax was active. You chose to wait instead and it wore off. Hell, you lot all came en masse to possibly jump in when Wobou and Nienla were just having a conversation, which only reinforces Celina's point.
    edited March 2016
    Vivet said:
    To be fair, I think Celina herself was criticised about not bothering to set up a toggle at some point and then did, so it's kind of weird to see it coming up again like this. Can't remember who was complaining at her, though.

Nope, to this day I still have no demesne enter/exit announce. I don't like the spam. The South can attest to it, never call on my specs or meld. Never have, probably never will.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Whoops. Wonder who it was, then, because I know I've definitely seen a discussion like this before.
    edited March 2016
    Disclaimer: I might have done a quick one during an event to watch a spot or something and deleted it after. I don't think day to day caller has never existed
    edited March 2016
    Sheesh, you guys are defensive.

There's nothing wrong with having an automated caller so people know what's going on and your buddies can jump in when they hear it. I'll repeat that. There's nothing wrong with having an automated caller so people know what's going on and your buddies can jump in when they hear it. 

There's times that I want to play 1v1 so I'll turn it off. There are times when I want to play with a smaller group so I'll call it to squad or somewhere more private. There's other times that I don't want to play fair and set my caller on so everyone and their brother comes running to help me, no matter how one sided it is. 

You have that automated caller because you -want- your buddies to know what's going on and so they can jump in when needed. If you didn't want them to hear it, you'd figure out how to set a simple variable to turn it off. So pretending it's otherwise is just silly and getting defensive because I'm calling it what it is just means I'm probably hitting the nail on the head. No one is saying you need to turn it off for us 'elite' pkers. No one is saying you're bad people. No one is making any suggestion of inferiority or malice because you had a caller. No one is saying you need to do anything other than just own up to the fact that you call things out so people know what's happening (which is the entire point of having a caller).

Mine consists of a simple variable that I set to the channel I want to send calls to, or it won't send calls if I set it to 'none'. This isn't rocket science coding here. Hell, if you want the function that does it, I'll give it to you. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited March 2016
    False equivalence. It's easy to argue that because one side does something, inevitably the other side has too, which is definitely not the case here. From announce calls to zergballs (I dunno about the off-peak raid thing, no one raids Gaudi. I'm sure that "not intentional" too.), saying it's the same between the two sides is not correct.

While Enyalida was trying to be sassy about the "truth," she revealed the actual truth, which has been repeated by both myself and Synkarin at this point, that she just never bothered to fix something she already knew should exist. It is a conscious decision to play and behave this way. Not an implied accident or oversight, as she's repeatedly tried to imply. Choosing to do nothing is still choosing. Somehow she exists in a world where she can claim she has intentionally not addressed something but it's not intentional. Her own words, you can read them.

While she's trying to take some bullshit highroad of assuming people are swell, and deliberately lying about what I said  ("People know exactly what they are doing"), I maintain that people know exactly what they are doing. She thinks they are swell and stupid, I think they are smart and don't really care how swell that are. Between the Death event, the off peak raids, the fairly predictable turtle style faethorn fights, the people we are talking about know what they are doing.

It's not an unending series of coincidences that the behavior repeats itself over and over, regardless of any "it's gross, it's uncalled for" word vomit. If it is what it is, and when people say it, it's not gross or uncalled for. It's just the truth, something Enyalida will never grasp when a criticism is levied at her side. 

The only point of dispute that is honest here is whether or not playing this way is "good" or "bad." I think it's lame skittles, but some may disagree. 

• But, srsly, does it really matter?
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
This discussion has been closed.