Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Ssaliss said:
    There's also very little that can be done against cities that can't be done against forests. Tear down statues? Yeah, perhaps, but odds are they'll be put up quickly again. Also, it's a channeled action, so anything disrupts it. A city equivalent to forest fires would be interesting though, although its efficiency would vastly differ between cities. For instance, due to the structure of Hallifax, it'd be a lot harder to fight it there than it would be in, say, Magnagora, where there are a lot of chokepoints to contain it.

There also isn't anything more than afk-time investment in statues, so they're a lot less likely to... care. 

Yeah, lighting fires is dumb and bad. There should be a consistent area message/LOOK effect after a small number of rooms in an area are on fire. Something to the effect of "A column of smoke hangs in the air" with ambients about the smell of burning to warn people to look for fires so that they can't spread when lit while no one is around. 

There is still a mechanic by which some fires will have self-lit, especially during the summer. The mechanic is such that these usually won't spread too badly, because of the rain that goes alongside the storm conditions. 
  • I have enough problems fighting in a pyromeld let alone on the fire plane >:(
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    edited June 2016
    More immediatly doable: The Storm discretionary power should not create a storm. Instead of just setting precipitation high, it should also set wind to the lowest possible setting and lower the temperature as low as is possible for that area. This would be a pretty simple and straightforwards way to improve it and better justify the high cost. 
  • See? It's like Elders. Sometimes you just have to make a scene so the other side will start talking about it and scowl at Hallifax/Twytch, and then we can all stop doing it. Griefing Air Lords wasn't going to do anything. 

Though technically I've never chopped an Elder.
  • Enyalida said:

Yeah, lighting fires is dumb and bad. There should be a consistent area message/LOOK effect after a small number of rooms in an area are on fire. Something to the effect of "A column of smoke hangs in the air" with ambients about the smell of burning to warn people to look for fires so that they can't spread when lit while no one is around. 

I would like some sort of ambient thing that would let us know about fires, yes sometimes someone is walking around and they find it pretty quick (natural or not) but I have definitely logged in and found the Nexus on fire so it can spread without people noticing (or if no one else is online).

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Yarith said:
    I have enough problems fighting in a pyromeld let alone on the fire plane >:(
    If it helps, I'm the only one that can use ripple and I never use nexus discretionaries. Because I hate them all.
  • Twytch said:
    Setting fires makes people defend their orgs, which actually leads some combat. I managed to see if I could survive @Xenthos, @Selna, and @Sikris (Sikris, I think) + a few guards (I did, for a good bit, too! Much love to MendingStone).
    Setting fires make people invest hours of time putting out the fires, leaving them less time to fight with you, and driving the motivation to even engage with you at any level to an all time low.

Basically, fuck off.

See? It's like Elders. Sometimes you just have to make a scene so the other side will start talking about it and scowl at Hallifax/Twytch, and then we can all stop doing it. Griefing Air Lords wasn't going to do anything. 

Though technically I've never chopped an Elder.

Lightning Serenwilde on fire has 100% not done either of those things. Twytch is already an enemy to Serenwilde. Hallifax has always been made aware of our opinion on totem chopping and similar shenanigans and the ultimate results of that. The way to get to a  place where "we can all stop doing it" is not to do more of 'it', whatever that it is. It's to stop doing it. 

No org is going to leave an alliance because of griefing they suffer at the hands of their enemies supposedly in retaliation for something that same org didn't do themselves. Nah. Cynkarin lighting Serenwilde on fire is Gaudiguch aggression on Serenwilde, no matter what annoying thing a different ally did did to a different enemy nation. 

Especially when that thing is lighting things on fire, something Gaudiguch traditionally loves to do. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that we were being treated to hellish visions of the past, Gaudiguch literally burning a giant scar through Serenwilde that exists to this day. Suddenly a Gaudiguchian has a righteous message about how it's such a bad thing to light forests on fire. Pull the other one. 
  • I would not count on people noticing ambients. I have watched people stand at the nexus using their gift of gab while world wide event emotes are going on and people are discussing them and these people look stupid and say "What are you talking about?"- "Oh I don't know, maybe the big ball of burning death that just flared and set the entire basin on fire that everyone except you seems to have seen, oh look it happened again. Did you see it this time? No? Ah, well, keep on keeping on then."

Not that I am against area ambients for forest fires, they make sense, just that oblivious people are oblivious (and I am not talking about the skill).
  • I do raid Gaudiguch from time to time (Fire, mostly, I don't have a cubix and there's no rift to Vortex). But Gaudiguch is often empty when I'm playing (I should know, it's one of the reasons why I moved to Hallifax. Cricket city is quiet). 

And I do set fires for fights. In all my fire-setting incursions, there has only been 1 instance when no one at all came to defend (despite being present, and we're not talking about a newbie here, either). I don't run out the moment a defense runs in, either. I stay and try to get a kill or two, or stay until I can't survive. Saying I don't do it for fights is a bit disingenuous, especially since I'm sure you've been in a couple of my raids, @Dylara.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Whatever, it's not even an IC motivation at this point, just a whiny little kid throwing a tantrum and abusing mechanics that do not have an equivalent response because he can't respect when people don't want to pvp with him.

You can leave your stupid IC reasons and motivations and politicking at the door, please, thanks. It's about as relevant to what is actually happening as the pile of shit that's been coming out of the mouths of those justifying setting forests on fire for the sake of getting conflict.

It'd still be better than the current status quo, where you can have a third of your org on fire, and if it's a part that sees little traffic and few people in your org are logged on and wandering around the fire can spread to tremendous proportions before anyone notices it. Not having to actually squint into every room to see a possible fire would be a huge boon.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited June 2016
    Twytch said:
    Setting fires makes people defend their orgs, which actually leads some combat. I managed to see if I could survive @Xenthos, @Selna, and @Sikris (Sikris, I think) + a few guards (I did, for a good bit, too! Much love to MendingStone).

This is a pretty silly statement, devoid of any meaning or logic. I was not defending my organization because you were setting fires, I was doing it because you entered the area, triggered my spectacles, and I walked to the room you were in (getting there just as you started the fire). You would have had the same result without dropping the meteor. As such, doing so served no point except for attempting forestgriefing.
    Yeah, setting fires actually makes people not defend their org, if by defend you mean 'fight me'. They can't stop someone from lighting the fires without a totally unreasonable amount of vigilance and  lightning fast response time (and even then..), and will spend more time putting out fires than dealing with a singular intruder. Or if it's a forest, they'll just turn on storm and glare at you.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited June 2016
    Twytch said:
    I do raid Gaudiguch from time to time (Fire, mostly, I don't have a cubix and there's no rift to Vortex). But Gaudiguch is often empty when I'm playing (I should know, it's one of the reasons why I moved to Hallifax. Cricket city is quiet). 

And I do set fires for fights. In all my fire-setting incursions, there has only been 1 instance when no one at all came to defend (despite being present, and we're not talking about a newbie here, either). I don't run out the moment a defense runs in, either. I stay and try to get a kill or two, or stay until I can't survive. Saying I don't do it for fights is a bit disingenuous, especially since I'm sure you've been in a couple of my raids, @Dylara.

Do you now? I've seen you around at times when I'm around and haven't once seen anyone call out a raid on fire. @Cyndarin can check the fire logs, we'll see if there's been a raid in the past 6 days.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Twytch said:
    I do raid Gaudiguch from time to time (Fire, mostly, I don't have a cubix and there's no rift to Vortex). But Gaudiguch is often empty when I'm playing (I should know, it's one of the reasons why I moved to Hallifax. Cricket city is quiet). 

You tried to run the moment I walked in on you setting fires, I had to keep spamming geyser.
  • Lets be real no one wants to raid fire or vortex.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Yarith said:
    Lets be real no one wants to raid fire or vortex.
    Elemental planes make me cry, so much bouncing back and forth. :( I want to raid you guys, I really, really do, but I get lost so easy.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I am not enemied to Gaudiguch and as far as I am concerned "Gaudiguch" does not raid Serenwilde. Cyndarin and occasionally Synkarin raid Serenwilde alongside Glomdoring.

No point in giving an entire Org reason to attack you when you do not have to.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Is Lusternia just a part of my life that's over? :( I feel so distant from everything in the game. I log in to take care of my obligations and hope that one day I'll feel a connection again, but even when I do it's only a short time before I drift away. I still love the world; I find myself coming up with characters and stories and thoughts about Lusternia even during my periods of inactivity. But when I play, I feel like an outsider. Like the part of me that could get immersed in the game faded away, and all that's left is my investment in the story. I'm a reader now, and not a player, and maybe I should accept that and stop trying to force things to go back to how they used to be.
  • edited June 2016
    Xenthos said:
    Twytch said:

You tried to run the moment I walked in on you setting fires, I had to keep spamming geyser.
    Uh...I set a couple of negative spheres on you, but all you were doing was gusting into pits that lead to the nexus. At that point I switched to 'let's see how long I can survive this' (pretty long, too).

Also, Xenthos chose to pit-gust me to the Glomdoring nexus instead of putting out the fire. So, yes, setting fires does have a chance to have some semblance of PK (even if it's just a matter of surviving vs pit-gusting into guards).
    See you in Sapience.
    Twytch said:
    Xenthos said:
    Twytch said:

Uh...I set a couple of negative spheres on you, but all you were doing was gusting into pits that lead to the nexus. At that point I switched to 'let's see how long I can survive this' (pretty long, too).
    My goal there was actually to get you to do exactly what you did; keep you pinned down until you gave up and heartstopped.  I only dropped 4 guards on you, would've brought more over if I had actually wanted them to murder you (4 guards are not a ton of damage, but they do add a lot "emotionally" when you're trying to get away).

Heartstop always feels like a double-victory, for some reason. :)
  • Selna and Sikris came in, too. Songs + pits + web + guards is pretty nasty, I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did (I heartstopped after I blew power on MendingStones).
    See you in Sapience.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited June 2016
    (Pro-tip @Twytch - you can't gust onto Glom's prime nexus because of Crow) 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    He was one room north of the Nexus with 4 widowriders saying hello to his guts.
  • edited June 2016
    There is an undeniable truth here: Glom complaining about the fires was getting Glom nowhere. Glom's complaints to Twytch were lost in the void of assumed partisanship and "whining."  Now we are having a different conversation because both sides are involved. 

So call it what you will. I think it worked out as intended.

I mean, Twytch may still do it but at least I tried!
  • Oh, and I've never seen Twytch on the firelord logs. I check them routinely as a matter of habit and I've never seen him. I've only seen the firelords down once or twice at most since I took over GC.

Not to say he hasn't, I obviously haven't seen every log, and missed several. I haven't seen it, however.
This discussion has been closed.