Pokemon Go!

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    The park near my house is beautiful, and we saw literally dozens of people trying to catch pokemons. For whatever reason I can't seem to complete any gym battles. The opponent becomes invincible and the battle times out when I get them down to zero health. Really annoying.  :-w
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Sylandra said:
    Weep, back home with no sweet Pokestops and Gyms nearby. I'm contemplating a walk in the park or something, haha. This game I tell you.
    Man, makes me think about how I have no gyms within walking distance, and the only nearby PokeStop is practically inaccessible. Do we know if more stops/gym locations are going to be added? 'Cause if there isn't anything I can walk to by the time I actually have my own trainer to be in charge of, it's gonna be a miserable existence for my non-driving self.
  • @Phoebus there is a possibility but I would say unlikely as the current stops/gyms are locations pulled from the database niatic has on Ingress of commonly visited portals.  They even removed existing portal locations in areas that were super portal dense so if there are very few poke stops near where you live that may be the reult of there being very few notable landmarks.  With that said if there are any [ainted utility boxes you could always snap a photo with a google pin location and send that in to Niantic support requesting it be added, or any notable landmark (statues, Unique buildings etc) so long as they are not on private property or on the grounds of Public schools (non-college)
    Makaela said:
    @Phoebus there is a possibility but I would say unlikely as the current stops/gyms are locations pulled from the database niatic has on Ingress of commonly visited portals.  They even removed existing portal locations in areas that were super portal dense so if there are very few poke stops near where you live that may be the reult of there being very few notable landmarks.  With that said if there are any [ainted utility boxes you could always snap a photo with a google pin location and send that in to Niantic support requesting it be added, or any notable landmark (statues, Unique buildings etc) so long as they are not on private property or on the grounds of Public schools (non-college)
    Great. I live in a residential area where the only possible notable landmark is an elementary school. :-w There's a park about a 35 minute walk away with nothing on it that maybe I could try to get added, but I can't think of anything closer that would qualify. At the moment, I'd have to walk for at least an hour to hit anything that isn't the dang PokeStop that's visible from my house but located on private property.
  • Demartel said:
    So because I am in Canada I had to download the apk file to play. Turned it on and there was a charmander sitting in my living room. Since then have not seen a single pokemon. Might help if I went outside though, but it is downpouring.
    Canada, using the APK too... pokemon here seem to require a fair amount of walking.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
    I've seen things as benign as playgrounds and hiking trail signs as pokestops, so that park of yours might be worth a shot. The big park I visited today had stops at a memorial bench and a particularly large tree, so wtf knows what qualifies.
    I used to make cakes.

• #Phoebus The park Will work most likely as those were considered to be within niantics guidelines for portal submissions on Ingress.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Ha, it's working for me with the APK thing. Caught a Bulbasaur in the house and I can see an Eevee nearby but too late to head out for it. Do they stay in the area or disappear or what?
  • Phoebus said:
    Makaela said:
    @Phoebus there is a possibility but I would say unlikely as the current stops/gyms are locations pulled from the database niatic has on Ingress of commonly visited portals.  They even removed existing portal locations in areas that were super portal dense so if there are very few poke stops near where you live that may be the reult of there being very few notable landmarks.  With that said if there are any [ainted utility boxes you could always snap a photo with a google pin location and send that in to Niantic support requesting it be added, or any notable landmark (statues, Unique buildings etc) so long as they are not on private property or on the grounds of Public schools (non-college)
    Great. I live in a residential area where the only possible notable landmark is an elementary school. :-w There's a park about a 35 minute walk away with nothing on it that maybe I could try to get added, but I can't think of anything closer that would qualify. At the moment, I'd have to walk for at least an hour to hit anything that isn't the dang PokeStop that's visible from my house but located on private property.
    I live out in the 'burbs and my nearby pokestops are a weird sculpture near the library, a water tower, and a park. I don't think they have to be anything impressive. I've seen really small stuff like memorial plaques or the sign at the entrance to the village as pokestops too.

• So I was at Walmart earlier (rarity, I have major issues with the company) but as I was going down an aisle I saw not one but two people, apparently not together, both playing Pokemon Go.  I didn't hover over a shoulder to see what was going on, but I get the sense they were both trying to capture some Pokemon.

It was kind of odd to see, and really puts some perspective on what a future of augmented reality might look like to bystanders not seeing through the same filters.

• @Eldanien - So I was at Wal-mart earlier and this guy kept giving me strange looks, so I turned to him and said 'Yes I am catching Pokemon!"

While the above did happen the funny thing about this story is my wife holding my phone while I was driving down the highway screaming "Over there! Pull over! There is one in the ditch! No No turn around, it's back there!" then when we got to town "2 blocks to the right! There is a monument! Oh my god a pokemon at Tim Hortons! I need coffee!"

When we finally got to Wal-mart, after a 20 minute detour through town, right outside the door I caught a Pigeto and Jigglypuff.

Also, it seem CO-OP's are our country's gym locations.
  • Demartel said:
    @Eldanien - So I was at Wal-mart earlier and this guy kept giving me strange looks, so I turned to him and said 'Yes I am catching Pokemon!"

While the above did happen the funny thing about this story is my wife holding my phone while I was driving down the highway screaming "Over there! Pull over! There is one in the ditch! No No turn around, it's back there!" then when we got to town "2 blocks to the right! There is a monument! Oh my god a pokemon at Tim Hortons! I need coffee!"

When we finally got to Wal-mart, after a 20 minute detour through town, right outside the door I caught a Pigeto and Jigglypuff.

Also, it seem CO-OP's are our country's gym locations.
    I have seen churches, a monument that no longer exists due to construction of a new subway line, a bank and various malls as gym locations. Pokestops are just about everything from plaque dedications, the science centre sign (that is also no longer existing due to same construction) to a, believe it or not, volt box.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I heard that the Westboro Baptist Church is a pokemon gym, and someone put a clefairy named Loveislove as the pokemon there.

But yeah I am in the same boat as everyone else. At home, I am no where near anything, but I work downtown and go nuts. The coworkers and I travel in a group collecting stops and pokemon... It's like 1997 over here.

• DC is basically a vast, endless expanse of pokestops and gyms. There are 3 gyms within a 5 minute walk of my apartment each way. I hit 100 pokestops on my first day just walking to and work and the metro. 

That being said, all my friends in Texas are talking about their awesome Laprases and Snorlax and Dratini, and I'm over here trying to figure out how I can win with an enormous flock of pidgey.
  • I know there is a Snorlax near me somewhere, but my wife and I could not find it. I died a little inside.

Also, I now assume every person pulled over on the side of the road is catching Pokemon. I don't even think to myself 'I wonder if they need roadside assistance." I just say to my wife "Totally catching Pokemon."
  • I saw a lapras near me, but I was on the bus so couldn't go find it (and I wasn't waiting an hour for another bus after waiting 40min for that one).

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Parks. Churches, statues, monuments, art sculptures, museums, businesses if they have some kind of Mural on them, Utility boxes if there is city sanctioned art of them. Natural landmarks have to have soime kind of sign though for whatever reason (as per Ingress guideliness which is the game niantic ripped the current locations from)
  • DC is basically a vast, endless expanse of pokestops and gyms. There are 3 gyms within a 5 minute walk of my apartment each way. I hit 100 pokestops on my first day just walking to and work and the metro. 

That being said, all my friends in Texas are talking about their awesome Laprases and Snorlax and Dratini, and I'm over here trying to figure out how I can win with an enormous flock of pidgey.

it's true... so many church pokestops
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    That's all I've found nearby, lol. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Team Instinct!!! Yellow 4 Life..... "Mystic is a bunch of noobs, living off Wall Street's money" - A totally real quote from Bernie Sanders - 2016

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited July 2016
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11672443

Seems Team Rocket may have a lair in New Zealand >_>

(The Pokemon Go app has seen fit to put a pokestop at a Hell's Angels HQ x_x )

Ieptix said:
    Just FYI if you're not Team Mystic you are wrong and should feel bad.

Team Valor and proud of it :p

EDIT: Also it didn't take long for PKMN Go meme's to start popping up...
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • 42 unique pokemon in my inventory but not one.single.pikachu.

I will get you.

edited July 2016
    Zvoltz said:
    I live out in the 'burbs and my nearby pokestops are a weird sculpture near the library, a water tower, and a park. I don't think they have to be anything impressive. I've seen really small stuff like memorial plaques or the sign at the entrance to the village as pokestops too.
    Bah, everything within a 15 minute walk from me is houses and trees, save for the school which is off-limits. I could perhaps plead for them to accept things like... "Neighborhood trash pickup zone." "Mailbox for this block of townhouses." "That one No Dumping sign." "The tree in Allyson's front yard, please."  Now that one would be convenient.  :-?
    @Phoebus, you're an artist. You should make some installations of your own and position them around your neighborhood. Make signs for Growlithe Crossing or Slowpokes At Play. ;))
    I used to make cakes.

Daraius said:
    @Phoebus, you're an artist. You should make some installations of your own and position them around your neighborhood. Make signs for Growlithe Crossing or Slowpokes At Play. ;))
    So what I'll do is, I'll paint a sad face on my front yard tree, put a plaque next to it that says "Saddest Tree - 2016", and claim it's a beloved neighborhood art installation. That's probably the best work I've got in me.
  • edited July 2016
    Today I got a vaporeon. For some reason, the eevee evolutions are wildly more powerful than anything else around here so basically all the gyms have a flareon or jolteon. 

I also got a growlithe, a scyther, and an electabuzz. I just need a magmar and I'll have collected all the crappy  pokemon from gen 1 that no one used because they didn't evolve into anything. 
  • One of the neighborhoods around here has 1000CP+ eeveelutions at every gym...and I'm sitting here after catching like 4 Eevee...what's that all about :(

Gonna go haunt that hood for a while and hope their luck rubs off on me. (I named my Eevee Flareon Jr...I neeeed)
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
    Y'all have fun, I am basically going to have to set up a Pokedate with friends in their area of town to ever achieve anything. :(
    Daraius said: