Goldflation III

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    On the one hand, sugar (alchemy), quicksilver (cooking/forging), spice (herbs), and salt (jewellery) only being found in failed attempts does rather sort of make them harder to find than other comms, but I think the idea is to keep comms relatively rarer in general. So while it'd be nice for them to be more common, especially for cooks, I don't know if it's a step in the direction we want to go... =/
  • Honestly, I'm more concerned with flax being used in two recipes than sugar being used in 10, for several reasons:

First, there aren't a lot of farmland to go around (10 rooms in the Grey Moors, the rest of them in villages (totaling aside from a minor scattering).

Second, you get between one and 10 sugar per failed vial (so a full failed cauldron will get you roughly 55 sugar), whereas flax will only grow by one per day (unless maintained).

Third, you only get one dose of tonic per 20 flax while you get 12 doses per 20 sugar.

All in all, I think there'll be a higher quantity of fruitpizzazz and kiwipunch made than the candies, both because of the higher doses per created item, and because of the higher goop cost of candies.

I think it'd be better if one (or even better, both!) of the two tonics were changed to use something other than flax. Preferrably forest-based, since there's no shortage of those herbs, but any other should work better than flax, at least.

As for sugar being used in candies, well... honestly, I kindof agree that 20 sugar per 12 doses for every candy is a high amount. On the other hand, though, it's candy. Sugar is rather a required component in it. Perhaps they could be split between 10 sugar and 10 other ingredients though? For instance, Fireball might require 10 sugar and 10 spices, and Creamchew might need 10 milk etc. It would lessen the pressure on the sugar while giving a use for some other perhaps underused comms (*cough*spices*cough*).
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited August 2016

Falmiis said:

For presents, is the intention to nerf them significantly? For example, the ultimate present currently gives out items valued at around 300-500 credits. You proposed a 25% chance of getting 600-1000 goop, which would be 6-10 goop under current standards, or 30-50 credits in value. It looks like all of the other presents are also getting nerfed similarly. 

If the intention is not to nerf them as such but just to get rid of the commodities, candy and gold, then maybe bundle the chance of these things into the chance that already exists for goop at each tier, but make it give less (converted) goop. So for exceptional presents there is currently a 28% chance of getting of these things and a <1% chance at 30-40 goop, which is 150-200 credits in value. Maybe make it can be 28% (plus whatever it is currently for goop) chance of getting 30-40 of the new goop, or 1.5-2 credits in value.

Fyi what I said before anyone else even mentioned presents so I don't know where anyone got the idea that I'm for the current numbers proposed by Estarra.

I think people are looking way too much into the commodity cost of these candies. Estarra is proposing 250 goop. That's 12.5 credits for a 12 use candy. Commodity prices will be a very small part of the overall cost of making them.
  • edited August 2016
    Again, I'm hoping for someone to take the list and give me thoughtful suggested alternate costs. I'm not really looking for reasons why this cost or that cost of goop or commodities isn't a good idea. Just give me some alternate costs and I'll consider those I think are reasonable! You don't really even need to justify or explain your suggestions. Otherwise, if no one gives me suggestions, I'll use my best judgment.
  • Okay then! Here's my suggestions:

• Fruitpizzazz - 1/6 health buff (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 25 goop, 1000 gold, 20 coltsfoot
    • Kiwipunch - Increases critical hits (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 25 goop, 1000 gold, 20 kafe
    • Goldentonic - Double xp gain (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 25 goop, 1000 gold, 20 wormwood
    • Argleblaster - 2/10 universal buff (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 25 goop, 1000 gold, 20 yarrow
    • Mint - Influence damage bonus (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Gumball - Chance of sheld vs. denizens (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 arnica
    • Fireball - Chance of firebreath vs. denizens (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Rockcandy - Moderate rooting bonus (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 20 sugar (let's face it, they're solid sugar)
    • Licorice - 3/13 health buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Jellybaby - 3/13 mana buff (60 minutes - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 arnica
    • Creamchew - 3/13 ego buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 milk
    • Waxlips - 25% xp buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10... vegetables? They can be kinda waxy
    • Redlollipop - 5/5 balance buff (1 minute) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 fruit
    • Bluelollipop - 5/5 equil buff (1 minute) - 12 DOSES - current costs 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 fruit
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Fish or meat for waxlips. Animal fat based wax is second only to beeswax among edible waxes, I think? In either case whatever IS used for wax needs to not be honeycombs. For serious.
  • I did, for a brief second, consider using honeycombs for the wax :naughty: Ten honeycombs per candy sounds right, right? Right?
  • Also, please note that I've never eaten any of the candies, so I'm not sure how much sense the proposed recipes actually make.
  • There's a way to get more wax - I believe the bookwurm bait from the Weeky Peedia library can be used for wax comms?
    See you in Sapience.
  • Yeah, I know, but I tried to keep it to the standard comms and not get too fancy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's a great list, but do you really see people buying fireball candies for what amounts to 10k gold and half a credit worth of goop, so roughly 25k gold or so?

I understand we're trying to reduce gold bloat, but let's make sure the things we can buy are worth buying so people do buy them.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    I'd also like to note that for the cost of one set of wax lips on your list, Ssaliss, I can make ten goldentonics.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So fiddle with the goop costs of those and post it as a new proposal. Haggle, legion, haggle!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    do goldentonics and lips stack?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Shaddus said:
    I'd also like to note that for the cost of one set of wax lips on your list, Ssaliss, I can make ten goldentonics.
    Well, I didn't touch Estarras proposed costs for gold or goop at all; I only touched the comm requirements. If you feel like the tonics need to be cheaper or the candies need to be more expensive, feel free to suggest your own changes.
  • edited August 2016
    @Synkarin ya pre sure
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    edited August 2016
    • Fruitpizzazz - 1/6 health buff (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 75 goop, 3000 gold, 20 coltsfoot
    • Kiwipunch - Increases critical hits (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 75 goop, 3000 gold, 20 sage
    • Goldentonic - Double xp gain (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 75 goop, 5000 gold, 20 pennyroyal (let's give it a use!)
    • Argleblaster - 2/10 universal buff (60 minutes) - ONE DOSE - current costs: 75 goop, 3000 gold, 20 horehound
    • Mint - Influence damage bonus (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Gumball - Chance of sheld vs. denizens (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 arnica
    • Fireball - Chance of firebreath vs. denizens (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Rockcandy - Moderate rooting bonus (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 20 sugar (let's face it, they're solid sugar)
    • Licorice - 3/13 health buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 spices
    • Jellybaby - 3/13 mana buff (60 minutes - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 arnica
    • Creamchew - 3/13 ego buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 125 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 milk
    • Waxlips - 25% xp buff (60 minutes) - 12 DOSES - current costs 150 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 fish (brain food!)
    • Redlollipop - 5/5 balance buff (1 minute) - 12 DOSES - current costs 100 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 fruit, 5 redtint
    • Bluelollipop - 5/5 equil buff (1 minute) - 12 DOSES - current costs 100 goop, 5000 gold, 10 sugar, 10 fruit, 5 bluetint

I'd also like to suggest the following:

If we charge to transfer, instead allow us to make these candies for someone in the room for no transfer cost.

Remove Death in Cooking. Add the ability to randomly get sugar from cooking in a lower skill level, higher skill = more sugar at once.

I realise this isn't going to happen, but ponder the idea of allowing cooks to design their own candies and instead infuse their candies with the above powers. Grandfather already existing candies until we run out

Bit-O-Hunny- eaters conglute, even while on prime. Even demigods.(1 death) - 12 Doses - current costs: 250 goop, 10000 gold, 1 honeycomb

Sour Soulless Candies - Eating gives the numbness defense for one minute. Only works against mobs (hunting). - 12 doses, 250 goop, 10000 gold, 10 steel.

Synkarin said:
    do goldentonics and lips stack?
    Yes, they do.
  • Why is there no fruit in the fruitpizzazz? (A bit more seriously, Estarra is there any reason why the drinks use herb commodities rather than cooking commodities? Because if there's no mechanical reason, I will suggest that all four drinks use fruit comms, since the way drinking them is described makes em sound like essentially fizzy fruit drinks. And two of them have fruit in their names.)

Also. Serious question. If Goldentonic costs the same amount of goop as the other three tonics, do you feel they would ever be made? Because the way I see it, the tonic is the one obviously superior to the other drinks.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited August 2016
    ii candy
    more
    more
    more
    more
    more
    Number of matching objects: 869 (out of 1030 total)

These things irritate me yet have just enough value that I don't want to destroy them.  I give them away, but I don't feel comfortable dumping large piles on newbies (I'm not convinced spoonfeeding new players has net positive outcomes) and in the end I wind up gaining them faster than I get rid of them.

Eh.

Getting back to the topic, I haven't been party to any spring candy sales between players, so I don't have a strong sense of what people are valuing them at.  But if we're going to create this other economic system-with-the-system, I'd recommend fluid recipe costs.  Set a ratio of goop:gold:comms for each recipe and apply a single Demand factor against them.  The more a recipe is used, the higher that factor.  Let the player see the costs before confirming the action.  Let the sum of all these Demand factors be a fixed value, so that as certain recipes go up in recipe costs, the others decrease.  Tracking and Demand factor changes would have to be modestly long term, to avoid gaming the mechanics.  The logic is pretty basic, but it would help to ensure that an equilibrium is attained, otherwise I suspect we'll see a whole lot of two or three items made and the rest become novelties.

Then the only dial that may need tweaked is the availability of goop, which is more of an ongoing assessment/evaluation.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Kiradawea said:
    Why is there no fruit in the fruitpizzazz? (A bit more seriously, Estarra is there any reason why the drinks use herb commodities rather than cooking commodities? Because if there's no mechanical reason, I will suggest that all four drinks use fruit comms, since the way drinking them is described makes em sound like essentially fizzy fruit drinks. And two of them have fruit in their names.)

Also. Serious question. If Goldentonic costs the same amount of goop as the other three tonics, do you feel they would ever be made? Because the way I see it, the tonic is the one obviously superior to the other drinks.

I don't know if grocers' commodities can go in an alembic.

• You put a box of fruit in a glass alembic in preparation for amalgamation.

Guess they can
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • I'm probably not going to have alchemists need alembics or cooks need ovens. Aethergoop will just be magical and easier to craft!

We're not going to add more candy--there's already a lot! We may think about more goop created consumables for other trade skills but that's down the road (though feel free to brainstorm).
  • @Shaddus why do you suggest one dose items cost 75 goop and 12 doses cost 125 goop? (I know you have exceptions but just trying to figure out the overall logic.)
    edited August 2016
    Estarra said:
    @Shaddus why do you suggest one dose items cost 75 goop and 12 doses cost 125 goop? (I know you have exceptions but just trying to figure out the overall logic.)

(Shaddus)
    Darn forums.

@estarra: No real reason. I don't feel that we should base prices on "amount of doses", because the powers aren't really equal or comparable except for a few cases.

For instance, wax lips are 25%, 12 times. Tonics are 100% one time, but riftable, plus (unless you're planning on changing this), sellable in shops as opposed to candies. They're more convienent overall, easier to hand out, and thus, they're more pricey than a single dose of a 12 dose item at 125. I feel that they're more likely to be used, and having them priced proportionately higher than 12 dose, generally weaker (but not always) candies makes sense if we are primarily doing this to lower gold and goop/whatever in the economy.

Or, if none of that really made sense, because I took Ssaliss' list and priced what I felt I'd pay for one, regardless of what other things on the list were priced.
    Kiradawea said:
    Why is there no fruit in the fruitpizzazz?
    Because it's not actually fruit, it's Fruit-Flavoured (TM)
  • 75 goop for those drinks is way too high imo. 25 goop, a few thousand gold and some commodities is a good place for them.
    Maybe 25-40 for drinks and 100-125 for candies?
  • Why can't candies be sold? I'd have happily bought some of the hundreds you all have, but I never saw any for sale.
  • Breandryn said:
    Why can't candies be sold? I'd have happily bought some of the hundreds you all have, but I never saw any for sale.
    They can be sold but they require a special command since they are resetting, so you won't be able to find any in shops.
This discussion has been closed.