Touhou Mafia: Extreme Shrine Makeover Edition

edited November 2016 in Mafia Hideout
Gensokyo. A peaceful, tranquil, some might even call it a safe and inviting place. Granted, those people know absolutely nothing about Gensokyo. The land of overwhelmingly powerful magical girls that blow one another up with sparkling magic and beautiful patterns and then afterwards sit down and have a cup of tea together. Today seems at first like it'll be a day like many others. The sun is shining.  The wind blows softly. And the ice fairies are freezing frogs. When suddenly.

What was once the Hakurei Shrine ends up reduced to a heap of rubble as an enormous explosion shatters the silence. It doesn't take long before the usually empty shrine grounds are filled to the brim with curious onlookers. Is this the work of that annoying Celestial? Or perhaps the flower demon? Perhaps someone else entirely that desires revenge of some sorts against the shrine maiden that lives here. If so, that's a very, very long list.

Luckily, investigation of the rubble reveals that Reimu was not in the shrine when the whole thing blew up. Unluckily, that means she's missing for who knows what reason. Speculation quickly runs rampant. Some choose to leave the shrine and return to whatever it is they were doing before the explosion happened. Others stick around in an attempt to question one another on guilt and innocence. Others still start to clear out the rubble, intending to restore the shrine before Reimu returns from wherever she is. And some just want to revel in the chaos. It's this chaos that a certain chimaera sees as her opportunity to have some fun. Not counting herself, there are twenty two people remaining around the shrine. With a soft, playful chuckle, Nue Houjuu snaps her fingers. Small streaks of dark emerald light shoot from her fingers and into everyone else. As the name implies, these Seeds of Unknown Form hide the appearance of whatever's afflicted by them, leading to several confused individuals that can no longer tell whom the others here are. Satisfied with the chaos she's caused, Nue takes flight, leaving the following individuals behind to try and make sense of what has happened.

Player list:
5: Synkarin
6: Lehki
7: Breandryn
9: Vivet
12: Ushaara
13: Krackenor
20: Luce
22: Yarith

Eliminated:
1: Zitto (Lynched day 6. Arsonist. Lost as Sanae)
2: Ssaliss (Nightkilled night 6. Stumped)
3: Lavinya (Nightkilled night 8. Stumped)
4: Tremula (Lynched day 7. Stumped)
8: Melali (Lynched day 8. Stumped)
10: Othero (Lynched day 5. Stumped)
11: Cynadrin (Lynched day 2. Lost as Ratatoskr)
14: Ileein (Won day 2 due to Ratatoskr being lynched)
15: Sylandra (Ignited night 5. Stumped)
16: Kalaneya (Dayvigged day 2. Stumped)
17: Falmiis (Ignited night 5. Stumped)
18: Siam (Lynched day 3. Shou Toramaru. Rolestopper&Mason)
19: Tamashi (Executed day 1. Booted for cheating. Miko. Mafia boss)
21: Weiwae (Ignited night 5. Stumped)

EDIT: All Role PMs should now have been sent out. Let me know if you did not receive your role PM.

This list of finely crafted and elegant rules have been provided for your perusal:
Hakurei Shrine Behavioural Rules:
1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. Vote Kiradawea)
2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold.
3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.
4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.
5. IMPORTANT: Gensokyo observes the "Stumping" rule for elimination. This means that a player that has been eliminated may still post in the thread. However, they may not vote or use any powers.
6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM AT ALL.
7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game with other players. See rule 4.
8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)
9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.
10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modkill you.
11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than a RL week. If seven days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 48 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comments

• edited September 2016
    By now you may have noticed that there are spellcards on your role PM, and you may wonder. "Yo, Kira. WTF is this? Didn't we have enough nutiness with the pokemon?" To which I say... I suppooooose? But I'm including this little subsystem anyway. Because I'm evil like that. Anyway, here are the rules.

What is a spellcard duel?:

A spellcard duel is a duel between two people where an attacker challenges a defender to a display of magical skill and deadly beauty. Winner takes all. Loser has to fall... to the ground. Don't worry. The challenges are non-lethal by design (I know I said deadly beauty, shut up!) so there won't be very severe challenges for failing a danmakufu match... most of the time.

So how do I start a spellcard duel?:
    Simply challenge someone. Challenges are supposed to be personal and intense... but just to avoid ambiguity, you should probably declare a "Challenge X to a Spellcard Duel" in bold somewhere. If this lacks and there's a dispute of the validity of the challenge, I'll rule in favour of the defender. You will also have to declare the name of your spellcard with the challenge. This too should be in bold to avoid ambiguity. If you declare a spellcard that you don't actually own, I will count it as a foul and you will not be allowed to make any further spellcard challenges that day. Others can still challenge you however.

Hey, so this very rude person challenged me to a duel. What do?!:
    Calm down and think carefully, because you now have two choices available. If you choose to accept, you get to choose a wager. The wager can be one of the following.

Vote: The loser loses the ability to vote for the rest of the day.
    Resilience: The loser requires one less vote to be eliminated for the rest of the day.
    Spellcards: All the loser's spellcards go immediately on cooldown. Spellcards already on cooldown have their cooldown refreshed.
    Ability: The loser is blocked from taking any further actions during the day and following nightphase.
    Nothing: No bet. The match is just an exhibition match. Has no effect on cooldowns.

Once you have chosen a wager, declare your acceptance of the challenge, the wager, and which spellcard you will defend yourself with. Again, responses should be personal and intense, but to avoid ambiguity you should probably declare "I accept your challenge Y! We fight for *wager*. *Spellcardname*" in bold.

Alternatively, you can choose to forfeith the challenge. This counts as a victory for the challenger. The defender will be unable to participate in any other spellcard duels for the rest of the day, nor may they be challenged. Nothing else happens. This does not count as a loss for abilities that require a loss in a spellcard duel. If a challenge is ignored, the defender automatically forfeiths after 24 hours or two posts of not accepting the challenge.

So what determines who wins a spellcard duel?:
    Look at your cards. You will see that they have four identifiers. A name, a power rating, a type and a cooldown. Name and cooldown have nothing to do directly with victory or loss. Types are used to determine advantage according to the type triangle. Streamers have an advantage over lasers have an advantage over scatters have an advantage over streamers. If your card has an advantage, your power rating will get a +3 bonus. Furthermore, the challenger gets a +2 bonus. After this, any personal abilities affecting spellcard duels are calculated. The winner is the one with the highest total power rating. If it's a tie, the highest base power determines the winner. If it's still a tie, the winner is ruled in favour of the challenger.

So do we get to see the calculations?:
    No. Calculations are kept a secret. If you wish to determine if you won or lost because of advantage or special spellcard powers, you'll have to do a lil sleuthing of your own.

Who can I challenge to a spellcard duel?:
    Anyone that's still in the game can be challenged to a match, assuming they haven't lost a match that day. If they do lose a fight, they'll be unable to participate in any other duels for the rest of the day.

Hey, next to my card it says (Last Word) in paranthesis. Is that important?:
    Oh shush! That was supposed to be a secret power... but if you insist. "Last Word" cards can be played immediately after you've lost a spellcard duel. They have special effects, and really count more as "abilities" than "spellcards".

All my spellcards are terrible and you're terrible for giving me sucky spellcards!:
    That's... not a question. Also, the spellcard rules exist so that weak fairies and powerful gods can fight to resolve their differences on somewhat even footing. But it can't do anything about your own inability to craft a proper spellcard, and really it's your own fault for leaving an enormous safe-spot right in front of your face. Baka!

Hey. I'm pretty sure I recognize these spellcards. Does this mean people can recognize who I am by looking at my spellcards?
    Very possible, but it shouldn't be a huge problem. The great thing about Touhou is that every girl has reason to be scum or town. So you shouldn't be worried about exposing your role.

---

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Well. Those new to the Touhou series will have a lot of lore to catch up on. Good luck with the google-fu.  :D

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Man, I knew I should have paid more attention when my best friend in high school played Touhou. Time to send an fb message saying "heeeey."
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Welcome to Gensokyo's day 0

Today's news:
    Welcome to Gensokyo. To help you settle in, remember that you can always PM your friendly neighbourhood game master any questions you might have.
    Today, no spellcard wagers may be made. All matches are exhibition matches.
    Today, only votes for a no-lynch will count.
    Today's game-day will last until GMT midnight between the 19th and 20th, unless a no-lynch happens beforehand.

It is now day 0. With 22 around, it's 13 to lynch.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Kira's already done you all a huge favour by pointing out that the majority of the cast can have reasons to be either scum or town. Pretty much everyone has been her enemy at some point in time. I'll have a hard time keeping these spellcard type advantages straight, though. Hmm!
  • Oh my god I am screaming so hard this is my favorite game omg
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm completely new to Touhou, but I will try!
  • Luce said:
    I'm completely new to Touhou, but I will try!
    Lusternia Touhou Mafia is something of a gateway drug to the world of Touhou. Make sure you grab a life-line before you dive too deeply into the fanart.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Art nothing, I've listened to two different versions of my character's theme so far, and don't plan on stopping here!
    The fanart is pretty.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I would say the music is one of the highlights of the series for sure. It's definitely what helped to hook me in, especially when it feels like it is doing more storytelling than the actual dialogue.
    For all the newbs:

Daraius said:
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    So first off the obligatory 'hi', and since I am well aware of the frustration of people not utilising the extra system to the mafia to its fullest extent, I'm going to pick another Touhou noob and see if we can get some firsthand experience. I'll be taking a slight disadvantage, since people will see one of my cards, but since it's an exhibition nothing will really be lost and I'll be more secure knowing I'm not doing something wrong.

Hey @Luce, my long-lost Alolan lover, wanna try a practise duel?
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Or anyone, really. I just saw Luce is new and probably just as likely as me to need practise, so I went with familiarity. I just remembered how everything can be taken as suspicious when you're a player. Have to bump out of mod mindset. 

• Hello!

I've never played/know anything about Touhou, but it seems like a decent game. Anyway, I do love Japan mythology, so I'm pretty excited. 
  • Hi. I know almost nothing about Touhou other than that I have no idea how people manage to do well in those games.
    Falmiis said:
    Hi. I know almost nothing about Touhou other than that I have no idea how people manage to do well in those games.
    You learn to discern what is important and what is not, and cancel out all the noise as best as you can. Which can be more difficult than not with some pattern/background combinations.
  • The only thing I know about Touhou, other than it was a popular game, is the Bad Apple song and video.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Tremula! I accept your challenge Y! We fight for nothing! Wrath of a Woman Scorned!
  • Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Oh my gosh I'm so happy to be here, I'm going to go spend my entire time in Eirin's clinic, chill out in Chiruno's bathhouse and stay up all night watching Gensokyo tv shopping while drinking my chirumiru!

Touhou has the most amazing fanculture.
    So happy for that.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • oh god I don't know anything about touhou
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Me either

and I just watched that Youtube video and I don't know that it helped

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    To get an idea of personalities, you can google 'Waflas' and add in your character name. Lots of people write silly fan skits involving the Touhou characters. Alternatively, just surf around here.
    Daraius said:
  • A Touhou mafia...Why did I not know about this beforehand :open_mouth:

Age: forever 28 / Sex: female / Location: where the Fates can't reach

Touhouwiki is pretty straightforward too, I think. Either way, don't get too bogged down in trying to over-analyse things early on. Take it a day at a time, and don't forget your mod's offer to answer any questions in private.
  • yup, gave her about 10 things for mechanics and clarifications, gotta be a big boy/girl whichever I am.
  • Synkarin said:
    Me either

and I just watched that Youtube video and I don't know that it helped

not only did it not help me, but now my youtube feed is crammed full of Touhou things that I still don't understand. send help :(

but the music did give me the urge to play some Dance Dance Revolution.
    To be fair I'm moving backwards trying to remember what little I used to know, ahaha. Sorry if the things I'm posting have only been useful for me, I'm trying to share what's been helping jog my memory. D:
    Daraius said:
    Then in slight reverse order, I challenge Luce to a Spellcard duel! Sutras of the Gate!

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Hiii! I've never played Tohou!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback