Touhou Mafia: Extreme Shrine Makeover Edition

Comments

• Are the nolynch votes and the rejection of duels related?
  • In standard mafia (the only I've ever played) a no lynch is a way to pass the day without killing off anybody. The rejection of duels is the added mechanic @Kiradawea made for us to enjoy the game that much more. They can be related later on based on the wagers system in OP.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Wonder how much today's duels will affect the N1 actions and the D1 deliberations, tbh. I feel it's already changing the gameplay dynamic, kind of like how RuPaul mafia did when people shared gifs of their drag queens.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I mean, it's definitely giving me insight on who is who. Despite having no knowledge of Touhou prior, I've worked out three people. Though when the game truly starts, I'll stop with my normal posting and assume the actual character for funsies, so don't mind the attitude shift.
  • Despite knowing which players are which characters, are there fundamentally evil Touhou chars? Fundamentally good ones? Or is it, as someone mentioned, just feudal shrine wars where the good guy depends on whichever side you're on.
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • Quite a busy day so far. I'm not very interested in fighting, so I will forfeit the duel request made to me. We have far more important things to be concerned with!
  • Iosion said:
    Despite knowing which players are which characters, are there fundamentally evil Touhou chars? Fundamentally good ones? Or is it, as someone mentioned, just feudal shrine wars where the good guy depends on whichever side you're on.

This sounds like a question that only third party or scum would ask :(  I mean it's pretty clear to me. 

We have a mod post saying that identifying people based on spell cards alone will not reveal scum, so we have to trust that.
  • @Iosion from what I've researched, there's no outright evil characters or outright goody goody characters. Information from the quick briefs of game lore and the OP give me a feel of what you said. Someone wanted this shrine to go boom and so it happened.
  • @Tamashi thanks for the straight answer.

@Weiwae look at where thinking I was scum based off my Mafia-related infantilism got you (and me) last time (as much as I hate using that as an excuse). I was only questioning it because a few people have made a point of knowing who others' characters are and don't know if I should venture down the Google rabbit hole too.
  • Also, calling out scum moves this early could easily be seen as deflection. :)
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Iosion the way I'm seeing it is that while it could potentially be useful to know who someone's character is, other than possibly some hidden character condition or just wanting to know because you're a fan and want to see who all made the game, the Night Vale Mafia has shown us that just because you think someone might be evil or have reasons to do <x> thing, it's up to the mod's decision on how the game is supposed to be portrayed.

Like this boy as my profile pic. I have no idea who he is, he's just adorable and has a raven on his shoulder. He could be some huge superboss for all I know, I've only ever played bullet hell. He could also be the most innocent snowflake, and it all depends on what Kira thinks he shoudl be for this.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I will say Kira was very smart picking such a huge franchise for such a big game. I don't think it's possible to guess 100% who will or won't be in this game, or what allegiance they'll have, for the reasons Tremula outlines above. Without anything else to base the night's decisions on, though, I expect knowing a character role could very well have an impact on the night's actions. If only because there's little else to base those actions on right now, other than the mafia metagame of 'this person tends to be a problem.'

Personally, I'd caution powerful town to hold back a bit at this stage. Scum might intentionally go out of their way to off the people with strong cards showing today, apropos of nothing else. You'd assume (correctly or incorrectly) that the people with strong spellcards will be strong players.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited September 2016
    @Iosion the only reason I'm researching people and trying to figure them out, is to get a guess as to what spell cards they have access to, so in case I need to win a duel, I have some knowledge to go off of.
  • Regarding "evil" touhou characters, you have Mima as a self-proclaimed evil spirit. But she's mostly just a huge troll. You have Seiga of the Taoists who everyone describes as evil, but she's never been seen to do anything remotely evil, except maybe some necromancy. And you have Seija, but she's really just contrary to everyone else due to the kind of youkai she is. Really, almost everyone in Gensokyo is some flavour of neutral, with the occasional capital G Good Guys like Shou or Eiki. This is a game where it'll be difficult to keep your role name hidden for long without making it clear that you're actively hiding your role-name. Believe me, I've accounted for that in more ways than you expect.

But to answer the question "are there any fundamentally evil characters in Touhou". The answer is no.

...with the sole exception of a cherry tree. Yes. A cherry tree. Welcome to Gensokyo.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • For the lazy people among us, those of you who have googled all of the characters that people might be based on spellcards should totally post your findings.
  • Vote: cherry tree
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Also posting this song that people may enjoy (or realise they know) because it's from Touhou and I enjoy it personally. Mood music to get you excited for the end of Day 0 and the start of the game properly.

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Holy cow people! 133 posts. I won't really be active until tomorrow, so for now I decline the challenge, and <b>vote nobody </b>.

• "Siam?"

"Yes?"

"Duel?"

"Yes."

After a riveting and truly engaging discussion, Siam and Tremula come to the agreement that the shrine lawn is so terribly burnt that it needs to be completely replaced, so one more fight that involves Siam surely can't hurt. The two duelists fly up into the air and face one another. Siam has put his spellcard up for display so many times that by now everyone should know the ins and outs of how the card works. But the card is still strong enough to give most people plenty trouble. Tremula is immediately forced on the defensive where she has to weave between the scorching beams of sunlight. A moment of respite allows her to call forth her two familiars and turn the tide of battle. The steady onslaught of bullets weave between the bright beams of light. At first they seem to miss as they zoom past Siam. But Tremula has been watching. Shortly after flying past Siam, the bullets turn back around and stab into Siam from behind, catching him by surprise.

Tremula has won the spellcard duel
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • The information I'm willing to share is just what you can find here to help you figure out strengths and spell types:

Challenger/Opponent
    ---------------------
    Luce/Trem - Luce Won
    Siam/Ssal - Siam won
    Ssal/Siam - Ssal won
    Ssal/Yari - Ssal won
    Siam/Ssal - Siam won
    Siam/Synk - Siam won
    Siam/Iosi - Iosi won
    Siam/Luce - Luce won
    Siam/Weiw - Siam won
    Siam/Lehk - Siam won
    Ssal/Lehk - Ssal won

Luce - 2/0
    Siam - 5/3
    Ssalis - 2/2
    Yarith - 0/1
    Tremula - 0/1
    Weiwae - 0/1
    Synkarin - 0/1
    Lehki - 0/2
    Iosion - 1/0
  • Votecount:

No lynch: Othero, Tamashi, Ileein, Lehki, Yarith, Iosion, Sylandra, Tremula, Lavinya (9)

With 22 helpers, it's 13 to call it a day.

I counted Lavinya's vote because the forums being bad at bolding stuff shouldn't stop someone from participating, but if you do notice that something that should be bolded isn't bolded, please bold it. It'll make things a whole lot easier for me.
  • As the day rages on, @CyndarinAscends suddenly starts noticing a strange itch that she really needs to scratch. A desire that must be fulfilled. Before she can stop herself, she approaches Siam and grabs him by the shoulder. Compelled by this desire, she loudly states

Siam. I challenge you to a spellcard duel. Face my "Ten spheres of the Kabbalah!"
  • I didn't give a response. I didn't want to duel. I'm confused.
  • First power use of the game, perhaps?
  • Apparently that is the case, yes. Why am I always the early target. THIS IS NOT PK, PEOPLE.
  • It is an... uh... interesting power though. Forcing someone to challenge against their will. If they can also force you to use a specific card and target, that's pretty much an instant loss at any bet they choose.
  • Well I hope whoever you are knows that I will find you.
  • Not until D2 it isn't ;)

theres always the chance that someone forced you to duel, but without consequences from these battles, it might a random mod event?
  • Ninja'd :/