Avatar: The Last Airbender Mafia!

Comments

• The more I think about it, the more convinced I am. It fits together awfully well. First, an outline on Long Feng:

The head of the Dai Lee, Long Feng coordinated intelligence operations in the earth kingdom. His network of spies routinely brainwashed young women, who served as both guides and spies within the city under the new name Joo Dee. The Dai Li brain-washing process involved forcing victims to repeat a phrase over and over. Long Feng eventually helped the Fire Nation organize a coup to take control of the city, thinking he would be installed as its ruler, though Azula promptly deposed him after the uprising.

@Falaeron wanted everyone to repeat a specific phrase. He was very clear that it could not be a phrase identical in meaning, nor could it be that phrase along with anything else. That's overly stringent, even for a lie detector in a mafia game. Of all possible cult leader characters in the Avatar lore, none fit better than Long Feng and the "Th He also feels very confident about his night survival prospects; it's unlikely that we have a lie detector who is also immune to night kills, that'd be an incredible advantage to the town, but a cult leader who can only be lynched but not nightkilled is pretty reasonable. The immunity is likely explained in the role PM as a result of his spy network. Directing everyone to use powers on someone else rather than him while also giving himself an ability that would explain why he visits someone everyone night without that person dying covers him from investigation.

I believe Falaeron is Long Feng, a cult leader with night-kill immunity and the ability to recruit people who have exactly repeated a phrase he has used into his Dai Li. (For bonus points, the ability is probably called "The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai".) 

Vote: Falaeron
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    You're delusional.

I'm Toph.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's a quick and ballsy claim.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Well, this escalated.
  • Toph as a lie detector with some self-defense makes sense. Unless somebody else wants to counter name claim I think that's proof enough. Hope you know what you're doing with this early play Falaeron.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    With Toph I feel he would be able to count the number of people lying...letting us see the number of scum/3p. Okay Flareon, you've convinced me. Good play.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    edited May 2017
    Vote Count for Day One (ends May 14th)

None - Arix, Eldanien (2)
    Falaeron - Zitto (1)

With 16 alive, it takes 9 to lynch!

... stupid evil codeboxes...
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Ninja Selenity...

So with my cunt that puts us at 2 none 1 Fal, getting a decent chunk of info tomorrow. I like Zippo's theory but Toph is a fairly strong counter claim. Has anyone not checked in? Anyone else want to toss out some juicy info? If not I'm almost content to vote to end day.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Tremula said:
    COUNT
    I was amused before with your typoing "Zitto" as "Zippo", but this new one takes the cake. 10/10.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    What's with these day one claims lately? You didn't have to out yourself so quickly, and I urge everyone to be reluctant when doing so, we do not want to give up too much information like last game.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • What did I say about unnecessary reveals?! This is exactly why you don't participate in these "plans." 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Jolteon got killed so early last game
  • Also rofl @Tremula

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I don't even know what to say anymore, haha. Lie detecting is a great power. Toph is a strong claim. But claiming both these things day one is just asking to be killed asap. I do hope you know what you're doing!

I've played a lie detector before and it's nice to just wait and see what people unwittingly say. Here's my concern: now that people know this power is in play, people are going to be very sure they don't say as many bluffs or lies. They know they can be caught if Falaeron is alive. So that's the major downside of revealing Day One, plus the giant target on your back thing.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Well, now we have to consider just how honest he's being. Why show your rather powerful hand this early in the game, when Flareon of all people should know better? Why kick yourself in the nuts this early?

Part of my refusal to participate is because Umbreon is a smart little bastard (in the not insulting, within forum rules, affectionate kind of way) and I wouldn't put it past him to set this up knowing people would naturally play along (AS THEY ALWAYS DO ON DAY 1, SERIOUSLY WTF), and then spin the situation to lend himself credibility. Like, it might as well be Lusternian Mafia 101 to fake claim something crazy on day 1 and watch the town mass reveal. 

I noted this earlier, there's no reason to trust anyone yet. A Toph claim and a lie detector claim are not proof of pro-town. Not proof of much of anything until we figure out what the game setup is. And look what is already happening, people are already giving him a pass as a mafia target or useless townie. 

What I'm saying is an early bad play like this could just be a farce to give himself a pass for a few rounds because people are now looking at him as harmless, rather than a dirty dirty liar. 

So we can lynch him on that. Alternatively, if I'm wrong, we'll just be nuking mafia food with a severe case of word vomit. 

It could go either way, but I just wanted to point it out as dangerous to gloss over this as just a bad play. 
  • If I were mafia this round, and knowing how last game went, bluffing early to get the town to start chattering away is absolutely something I would do. 
  • Vote: Falaeron Red card, bad play. Please leave the field of mafia.

Either you are a lie detector and Toph and making a horrible day 1 play and will just bring down the town or you're lying and you are hoping this is going to become your own Ushaara moment. 
    Okay but what if he actually is Toph and a lie detector? Serious question here.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    To quote someone from the last game..

It is a bad play. Punish bad plays, same argument against Shaddus.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Then the town got burned by having Falaeron be our lie detector. It's a bad play and we've punished bad play before and have been burned by not punishing it if your lynch last game was any example. A lie detector neuters themselves by revealing that they're a lie detector. Falaeron just outed themselves as the biggest target for a night kill. If they really are a lie detector then it is in a doctor's best interest to target them. Which means if the mafia has a watcher then we've had the lie detector and the doctor outed from one claim. Early claims like this are bad and by claiming early the lie detector loses a lot of their power.
    Is it that bad a play? If he actually is Toph and a lie detector it's a high risk play, but if he has a Night protective ability, it's less risky. I sincerely don't think mafia would claim a character who is almost 100% positively in this game on day 1 as well as blatantly declare they're a lie detector. Because smart mafia don't try to get so much obvious attention asap.

This isn't equivalent to Shaddus who misread his role and flavor text last game and loudly pushed agendas based on those misreads. Nor is it equivalent to Xeii making comments about the mafia that weren't aligned with her actual Town victory condition. Nor is it even comparable to Weiwae pushing someone aggressively for not liking how aggressive they are. When I say bad play I'm punishing behaviors that put Town at risk long term. I don't see that here.

This is someone saying "this is how my powers work and I'm going to do this play and hope it pays off." That's different to me. It's not how I'd play Toph with that power but I can see why someone would choose to do it. Also Falaeron did the same thing last game by alluding to being Krokano, and the same thing in an earlier game where he alluded to being a firefighter when he felt we should know an arsonist is in play. Idk guys it reads Town to me.
    Daraius said:
    Why would mafia have a watcher? When has mafia ever had a watcher? Real question. I almost never consider that possibility.
    Daraius said:
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have one big question here, as someone who hasn't seen Avatar in a long time:

Did Toph demonstrate an ability to detect lies during the show?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • The aggression in the post above also pushes me to think it is a bluff. And if he does have a night protection it just means that he'll get killed by a strongarm kill. Again, a night protection is most useful when no one knows you have it. A lie detector is most useful when no one knows you have it.
  • Sylandra said:
    Why would mafia have a watcher? When has mafia ever had a watcher? Real question. I almost never consider that possibility.
    Why not? Almost never doesn't mean it's impossible and we don't know. The point of it is that an early claim makes it easier to information gather and figure out who other people are.
    Othero said:
    The aggression in the post above also pushes me to think it is a bluff. And if he does have a night protection it just means that he'll get killed by a strongarm kill. Again, a night protection is most useful when no one knows you have it. A lie detector is most useful when no one knows you have it.
    I don't disagree with Night protection being most useful when no one knows you have it (see: me as commuter last game), but I still don't want to vote @Falaeron based on this. At least not yet.

I'm fine with being labeled aggressive for this, it's how I honestly feel about today. Lynching him today if he's Toph is a mistake.
    Daraius said:
  • Portius said:
    I have one big question here, as someone who hasn't seen Avatar in a long time:

Did Toph demonstrate an ability to detect lies during the show?
    In the show she can hear when people lie, because their pulses quicken and so forth.
  • Sylandra said:
    Okay but what if he actually is Toph and a lie detector? Serious question here.
    Then he's borderline useless. We are suspicious him until someone wastes a night to investigate him AND he doesn't get killed by the mafia....meanwhile the mafia tip toes around his power until they can gank him.

• Also: I wanted Toph! Was my favorite character. I always go for the mean ones.