Six Ages Mafia

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    All times are in American eastern time. Lief's vote of none was missed and is now in the list. I believe everything is right. I am clearly out of practice, sorry.

It is now DAY ONE. The day end on Thursday, Nov 21st, at 2PM EST.
    With 7 Riders alive, it takes 4 votes to lynch!

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Mysrai-1(Zitto)
    Carakhan-1(Mysrai)
    None-1(Lief)
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I don't think lynching Sylandra for being Sylandra is sporting play, even if there's a case that it's safe play. In absence of any compelling reason to vote for her, I am not any more inclined to vote for her than anyone else. Since it looks like we might be creeping towards a D1 reveal, I'm going to go ahead and open because I admittedly have about as scummy a power and identity as town can have.

I am a priest of the trickster Raven. Raven is a helpful, if double-edged, spirit of the Riders. Raven does the things that are necessary for the tribe but which Hyalor, in his purity, cannot. As the wiki says, "Raven has always known how to count. Six happy families minus one unhappy family puts us five steps ahead." I may "Rob X" once per game to gain a single use of their power. I am prepare to use this to verify a power claim or to replicate a useful power at the direction of the town. To be very, very clear, and I have a reason for emphasizing my phrasing, I am a Rider and win with the Riders when all the foreigners are dead.
  • In Zitto's shoes, I might have briefly scanned things, missed the None vote that wasn't showing up, and went for one person who seemed most squeamish about lynching (Merlose and I both showed some squeamishness too but I'm the only none vote, but I was and am also willing to lynch given a compelling reason).

Being late definitely doesn't mean he's innocent though, I agree! He could definitely be playing us now that he's in the game.

I 100% understand how dangerous Sylandra is as a player, but as pointed out, there's a solid chance she's town. I think I read somewhere that she has been town more often than not in the end?

Wouldn't she be the best option for scum to off early on?
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • Can't offer a more substantial post as I'm on my very small lunch break, but I'm making good on my word to Unvote: Carakhan.

No hard feelings, fish auntie, my reasoning was solely that it felt scummy to target someone for silence on day one of a three day..."day"? Terminology is weird.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Mysrai-1(Zitto)
    None-1(Lief)
  • Oh, also worth noting, we probably won't be able to identify scum on the basis of identity alone. Portius almost always provides a safe claim for scum players to avoid making it too easy to out them with a role reveal.
  • So we actually have a bit over 24 hours now until the day ends? Good, that's some breathing room.

Honestly, if I were inclined to believe that "X person is dangerous because of other games" then my Rider senses would still be tingling in the direction of @Zitto. I seem to recall him playing dangerous mastermind games in the other mafia's I've seen that are far more worrisome in their misdirection than what I've seen @Sylandra do. But I understand there's more history with her than I know.

But if we add on that like @Lief says, it makes her a really easy target for scum to force a lynch on in day 1, then @Ayisdra sticking to it without much more compelling reason makes me wary. We have a lot of clever, dangerous people playing the game. That's why we like it.

I feel like people are being chatty enough that we still have a lot to gain from analyzing things rather than jumping straight to a role reveal, but I'm game if we go down that route.
  • I'm likewise game to role reveal, but I do want to be cautious because of the genders.

I don't want to role reveal just yet just yet unless we mass reveal, but I will say my ability is a gendered one. I doubt mine is the only one in play!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I’m not in favor of d1 reveals currently and don’t know how to feel about @Zitto claiming an investigative style power. If he’s telling the truth it risks a nightkill on him, and we don’t know if protective abilities are in play.

In regards to @Ayisdra he is either a gutsy mafia or a townie just trying to get a day 1 lynch. I have the benefit of knowing my own alignment is a townie with certainty, even though I know saying “I’m town” doesn’t mean much for you all. So I know when I flip town D1, that will attract a lot of negative attention to Ayisdra. “Why would you do this?! Are you a threatened evil mafia?!” Or something.

So I don’t know if his move is necessarily what a savvy mafioso would do, but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible. In my experience though mafias try to stay under the radar and avoid suspicion when possible.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • How bad I am at mafia is no secret, regardless of the side I get on.

I think the desire for day 1 role claims can be dangerous. I think that gives more information to the mafia than it does us as town.
    Ayisdra said:
    How bad I am at mafia is no secret, regardless of the side I get on.
    Okay but. If we are voting D1 on meta as you suggest, then should I then vote you based on this argument? :no_mouth:

For the record I would argue that is silly. And I don’t believe you’re as bad a player as you suggest! Are you trying to act clueless to trick us?

Really though, every game is different and people can play well in one game and poorly in another. The purpose of D1 lynches is to push those defining actions early so we can determine how each other is playing this specific game, with our current roles and win conditions.

Anyway! We have had a lot of activity today and once I get off work I’m going to try and work through it for a vote.

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Ayisdra said:
    How bad I am at mafia is no secret, regardless of the side I get on.
    Okay but. If we are voting D1 on meta as you suggest, then should I then vote you based on this argument? :no_mouth:

For the record I would argue that is silly. And I don’t believe you’re as bad a player as you suggest! Are you trying to act clueless to trick us?
    My lack of seeing 'tells' in posts is not me being clueless. How people read posts in these games is beyond me, and my skill level. What people are able to glance from posts are often things I would never notice or even think of being otherwise.
  • I'll explain a little more on why I voted for Cara earlier, since she called it into question. I specifically said that 1/3 shots were not enough to convince me to vote at random. That doesn't mean I'm unwilling to vote day one, but I need to have something to base a vote off of. For her specifically, it was that her actions were a very, VERY easy way for a mafia to get a day one pass. While lynching the people who don't participate, and then those who don't participate meaningfully, is certainly the town's safest bet when they have no other clues - the very first day of the game she tossed out a vote when there were two days left on the cycle. 

Of course, then in the response play, she may have deliberately misquoted me to make my switch seem more dramatic. Or it could be an honest mistake. I am not as good at the post and behaviour scrutinising as some of the veterans here, but figured I should post my thought process. 

I am feeling confident to say that multiple people agreeing with the theory about gendered powers, and "confirmation" by another player about it being a thing, definitely makes me a little more confident. Lies are lies, and there's not really any reason to not try to catch people in them. Currently, my feelings are:

Suspicious:
    Cara, see above.
    Zitto, potentially sandbagged joining to gain an upper hand in the mindgame.

Slightly suspicious:
    Sylandra, at all times.
    Merlose, gut feelings.
    Ayisdra, meme taken too far? Sylandra is an extremely powerful town player if she is town, and if she is she's a high priority mafia target.

Not suspicious: 
    Myself, obviously.
    Lief, forthcoming about how she voted and I'm not getting a vibe from her. Yet.
  • Sylandra said:
    I’m not in favor of d1 reveals currently and don’t know how to feel about @Zitto claiming an investigative style power. If he’s telling the truth it risks a nightkill on him, and we don’t know if protective abilities are in play.
    To be clear, I'm claiming a copying power that I offered to use investigatively. I'm also comfortable claiming early because I expect my power to become useless on Day 2. Portius almost always gives out many one-shot powers and most of those powers are used N1. If I'm going to get info with my ability, it's now or never. I do have one absolute piece of evidence in defense, but I am reluctant to say it because someone identifying my breadcrumb would confirm two people as town instead of one. (I am not claiming another ability. The evidence is in the post history.)
    Mysrai said:

Suspicious:
    Zitto, potentially sandbagged joining to gain an upper hand in the mindgame.
    Honest to goodness, I will go get a doctor's note and scan it in if we agree to lynch Mysrai.
  • @Ayisdra, the cries of being a terrible player are not ringing entirely genuine, given you came within a vote to winning as a solo mafioso last game. Also you're currently advocating for lynching Sylandra, and against early claims, when both of those contributed substantially to town's last win. Also interestingly, Ayisdra was mafia last round with a heavy lurker strategy. He's been much more active and aggressive, which could be townie or could be mafia but trying to play differently.

Zitto's claim is interesting, particularly given Raven's seeming ambiguity gender-wise. Certain elements do ring true, but as he himself pointed out, Portius does provide safe claims. It's possible they were more thorough than last time around too.

Lief confirming her power is gender based is interesting.

I'm simply going to have to disagree with @Mysrai that early voting is a scummy thing to do. It's relatively safe to throw suspicion at people, much less safe to actually commit to a vote. And two days is relatively little time to actually get a lynch train going. If you want to put pressure on the quiet people to stop being quiet, a single vote is going to have a bit more oomph to it than simply urging participation. Since that is my mindset, your vote for me did appear rather random, particularly as I was the third player to vote, and the second to vote for a person.

Of course if your argument is that mafia would know that lynch all lurkers is sometimes considered a valid town strategy, and so would therefore be inclined to follow that route, well, that way wine and madness lie. Both of which are very much your domain, of course ;)

Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • Carakhan said:
    @Ayisdra, the cries of being a terrible player are not ringing entirely genuine, given you came within a vote to winning as a solo mafioso last game. Also you're currently advocating for lynching Sylandra, and against early claims, when both of those contributed substantially to town's last win. Also interestingly, Ayisdra was mafia last round with a heavy lurker strategy. He's been much more active and aggressive, which could be townie or could be mafia but trying to play differently.
    If I'm being completely honest, I didn't actually realize I was mafia until like the very end. I had just assumed I was 3rd party. I kept waiting on there to be a double kill night but it never came.
    Did some light reading. @Zitto can you confirm you only have one ability that you've disclosed to us? Raven is shown as having two abilities in the wiki: Stealth and Steal. Just curious.
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    Did some light reading. @Zitto can you confirm you only have one ability that you've disclosed to us? Raven is shown as having two abilities in the wiki: Stealth and Steal. Just curious.
    I can confirm that my only ability is "Rob". I do have an unusual gender status, however.
  • Given that my power is gendered, I think it's really interesting that Zitto is claiming a non-standard gender. With the nature of my power, I am not 100% sure the scum would have something other than a standard gender themselves, unless we have more than one scum at play. Unless Zitto registers as both genders instead of neither?

Is someone able to verify Zitto somehow, or at least his gender? If he isn't offed by scum for his claim, maybe his different gender makes him a good town to keep around? It's something to consider with what little I know and has been revealed.

But if he's lying or if he somehow registers as all genders or something, that would be strange and I obviously would be less convinced.
    ~
    ~
    Well, lynching Zitto is one option for verification.

There are some other deviations in his role I’m interested by, but I don’t think I’m familiar enough with the lore to think they’re inherently suspicious.

If we feel Zitto’s role would give us more information, then we can choose to vote him. It has the added bonus of limiting the information we give to the mafia since he’s already claimed.

However, I think his behavior thus far feels bolder than a traditional scum would be. So I think the odds of a successful D1 Lynch would be low. If anything I’d say he could be third party.
    Daraius said:

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Mysrai-1(Zitto)
    None-1(Lief)
  • Just noting we have 3.5 hours to D1 lynch.
    ~
    ~
  • I highly doubt the Mafia will have a kill that requires or is involved with gender, so Zitto would only prove a nuisance to town powers with that. I imagine he could swap gender every day, or maybe night to day? 
    Heck I doubt this will go through but my two picks for today would be either Zitto or Ayisdra.

Of the two, I think vote Zitto gives us more info. Sorry buddy.
    Daraius said:

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Mysrai-1(Zitto)
    None-1(Lief)
    Zitto-1(Sylandra)
  • Lief said:

But if he's lying or if he somehow registers as all genders or something, that would be strange and I obviously would be less convinced.
    I am explicitly both male and female. As the wiki quotes, "If Raven were nearby he'd gift us with guile. Or she'd gift us. You can never be sure." 
  • Thank you! I've only skimmed the wiki. Have t had the time to go in depth.
    ~
    ~
  • While lynching Zitto would get us information, I don't think it's the best use of our time. I'm somewhat skeptical we'll even get a lynch in the next hour, but I will

vote: Sylandra

To see what turns up, as pushing a lynch on someone with a pretty useful power just seems really shady.

Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • Oof, less time than I thought. I'll learn math someday, I swear. But not now, there are priorities.

The unfortunate thing with the nature of this game is that everyone is suspicious. Except for me. I'm not a Raven shaman so I have no real need to be suspicious of myself.

We DO have an avowed Raven shaman, though. But according to the Lore Wiki, Raven is a ("often untrustworthy") advisor to the Riders. If @Zitto's claim is true, he would probably be town. But, it's also easy to think that a foreigner would claim to be a Raven shaman to excuse aberrant behavior.

I'm still fairly skeptical of @Ayisdra. We're almost 3 days in now, and he's still sticking to his vote of @Sylandra based on nothing more than "she's too good to leave alive". I feel like if he wanted to find more reason to be suspicious of her, she's posted enough that he could find something to hang his hat on. So is the fact that he's not even trying proof that he's town and as clueless as he claims? Or that he's scum who's going to make a weak a vote, not push it, not argue for anyone else, let another townie get lynched, and then claim innocence on D2?

But then, @Zitto has done nearly the same thing, voting for @Mysrai based on a flimsy premise ("lynch squeamishness") which... didn't seem to me to be the case at the time and certainly isn't now. @Zitto hasn't even changed his vote once it was clarified and @Lief's position of voting none was made official.

But then it's also been pointed out that if a townie is lynched and revealed to be a townie, that will put a lot of heat on the person who pushed for it, and both @Ayisdra and @Zitto have been really bold in their moves.

This is tough. It's not that there aren't reasons to vote for everyone (Like Mysrai, I'm not very suspicious of Lief. But that makes me very suspicious of Lief.) But at this point there are only three uncommitted votes (myself, @Carakhan, Mysrai). Since Mysrai isn't likely to vote for themselves, that means a vote needs to be for either Sylandra or Zitto, or someone needs to flip votes. Is that likely?

Almost out of time here. I don't really have a whole lot to go on other than time limits, prudence, and gut feelings. I'm going to vote Mysrai and see what happens.

edited November 2019
    VOTES
    Sylandra-2(Ayisdra, Carkhan)
    Mysrai-1(Zitto)
    None-1(Lief)
    Zitto-1(Sylandra)

Edit: Fixed name list. I'm sorry, not a great game for me not messing things up this time around.