What are you reading?

Comments

• the forums
  • The back of a cereal box?
  • Currently trying to find Feast for Crows to continue reading...

Currently going through H.P. Lovecraft's collection of short stories. Favorite author of all time and I need inspiration for my Cthulhu campaign.

Also trying to track down my copies of the Ender's Game series, as I need to reread it. Last time I read it was probably about 5 or 6 years ago AT LEAST. Been so busy with school then work that I didn't have much time to read anything.

Would love to crack open my Anthology of Literary Criticism again and dive back into Possession. I miss my English literature classes in college and writing papers picking apart well established criticisms on various different things in classic texts. /literaturenerd

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    If you folk haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear) you really should. You'll find elements very similar to Earthsea in the 'school of magic' part of the setting, but it's very well written and extremely enjoyable. 

It's full of a novel sort of magic, adventure, dark faeries, intrigue, music and intelligently chilling villains. Wait until you read about The Cthaeh. So utterly evil!
  • I always read a few books at the very same time... don't ask, i just do. I actually do since I'm a child and I never confuse the stories or anything. Habits don't go away easily and I kill boredom with a bit of change (lol my life looks passionating now).

The shining by Stephen King
    Alice in wonderland: Through the looking-glass from by Lewis Carroll
    City by Alessandro Baricco
    aaaand Twenty thousand leagues under the sea by Jules Verne (for the umpteenth time) :)
    Alice in Wonderland is my favorite.  I bought a copy for my daughter and then learned it was a "rendition" of the original.  It was written all small on the inside cover, like they were trying to sneak the fact that it wasn't Carroll's original book, while still stamping his name on the cover.  :(
  • I've finally acquired Before They Are Hanged, the second book in the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, which I shall begin devouring shortly.

And for anyone who likes 'Low' Fantasy novels I rather endorse reading the first book, The Blade Itself

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• edited February 2013
    Reading three books currently. "Les Misérables" (my first acquaintance with Victor Hugo)
    Also "Dancing with Dragons" by Martin. And "Across the Galaxy" to fill my sci-fi urge
  • Reading "The Calcutta Chromosome" by Amitav Ghosh and "Neuromancer" by William Gibson.

(Also finished "No One Belongs Here More Than You" by Miranda July - highly, highly recommend to anyone with a quirky sense of humor.)
  • edited February 2013
    @Isune You must tell me what you think of Neuromancer, I am innately curious of the opinions of anyone who reads it >.=.>

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Dakuan said:
    Reading three books currently. "Les Misérables" (my first acquaintance with Victor Hugo)
    Also "Dancing with Dragons" by Martin. And "Across the Galaxy" to fill my sci-fi urge
    Les Misérables is possibly the greatest book I have ever read. I have found nothing that is more beautiful in showing human virtue. I commend you for your excellent taste, and advise you to read Le Dernier Jour d'un Condamné as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • edited February 2013
    Piers Anthony and Steven King. Given the sheer volume of each of their libraries, and the fact that they just keep adding to them,  I don't think I'll ever run out of things to read.
    Brian Jacques would be in the same category, but I read the last of his works and...unfortunately, he won't be making any more.

I also give them both my highest recommendation. @Enyalida, I'll defnitely be checking out the Kingkiller books when I finish the Xanth series (well, the parts of it that are out).
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• edited February 2013
    Talan said:
    Eventru said:
    I recently read His Dark Materials at the urging of a friend. They were interesting, but to say I was let down by the ending would be an understatement. Talk about a suspenseful build up ending in... nothing exciting.

As the series was his childhood favourite, I've been considering re-reading one of mine (the Dark Is Rising Sequence).
    Actually I think that was the point. Obviously the series was heavily anti-organized religion, and Pullman is an outspoken as an atheist. The plot progression was something of the ultimate metaphor for life. But still... panserbjørne.

Someone said I absolutely had to read El Rastro de tu Sangre en la Nieve, so I'm working my way through Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I have the original text and an English translation, (along with the actually bilingual friend who demanded I read this), so it's interesting all around, both the work and the way I'm reading it.

Other than that, I got a new kindle for christmas and have been busy filling it up with lots of great stories that cost <$5. Pretty great. Welcoming recs!
    When you finish Strange Pilgrims read Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. Or another thing by him, then Savage Detectives.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Been stuck on the Star Wars expanded universe... though I started with New Jedi Order and am currently on Legacy of the Force. All I keep wondering is... why are Sith always such stupid/whiny people? Truth be told, I'm a bit disappoint... and then there's the fact that they somehow seem able to fool pretty much everyone... primarily because someone on the good side knows something, but they somehow keep neglecting to mention it to a jedi master that might put two and two together and go... "OMG, that guy is a sith!"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The Legacy of the Sith short stories are kind of interesting from that perspective. Also, some of the expanded universe solo-Sith are less stupid / whiny, but the planet-of-the-Sith culture seems to kind of breed that into its populace (which is the entire reason for switching to the Rule of Two, I believe!).

They seem to do much better as behind-the-scenes manipulators than as actual military forces.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Xenthos said:
    The Legacy of the Sith short stories are kind of interesting from that perspective. Also, some of the expanded universe solo-Sith are less stupid / whiny, but the planet-of-the-Sith culture seems to kind of breed that into its populace (which is the entire reason for switching to the Rule of Two, I believe!). They seem to do much better as behind-the-scenes manipulators than as actual military forces.
    I can't read the 8th? book because my ipod isn't working and stupid drm blocks it on my laptop :(
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited March 2013
    Taking suggestions!

Been re-reading The Brothers Karamazov cause I understood probably less then 50% of it. Its a very difficult read and looking for something else to read to not give myself a headache so much.

I've read basically every history book/fictionalized history book you can think of (my favorites, by far, the Gettysburg trilogy by Gingrich and Forstchen, and the Killer Angels series by the Shaara's). I've read A Song of Ice and Fire and all the dink'n'dunk stories that GRRM wrote or other various high fantasy fictions, also read various science fiction books (my favorite Solaris by Stanislaw Lem).

Basically, I'm looking to expand my boundaries to various new things, and taking on just about any suggestions. Skimming through this thread, I've liked the idea of reading World War Z and American Gods.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Neos said:
    Xenthos said:
    The Legacy of the Sith short stories are kind of interesting from that perspective. Also, some of the expanded universe solo-Sith are less stupid / whiny, but the planet-of-the-Sith culture seems to kind of breed that into its populace (which is the entire reason for switching to the Rule of Two, I believe!). They seem to do much better as behind-the-scenes manipulators than as actual military forces.
    I can't read the 8th? book because my ipod isn't working and stupid drm blocks it on my laptop :(
    If using Kindle, can always install Kindle for PC and authorize it to your Amazon account. I can read all of my books on pretty much every device I got... Android Tablet, WP7, PC.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Going through the Shadows of the Apt series. I'd explain it but Wikipedia does a better job than me, so I'm just going to plagiarise their description.

"The series is set in a hypothetical universe populated by different kinden. Each kinden is a fictional race of humans, named after (and having certain characteristics of) an insect. Kinden are typically divided into two categories : Apt and Inapt. The Apt do not have magical abilities, but are able to understand, use and design mechanical devices. The Inapt have varying amounts of magical abilities, but cannot use mechanical devices, even those as simple as latches. The series focuses on the attempted conquest of the lowlands by the Wasp-kinden empire."

I may have a bit of bias when I say my favourite book has to be the Air War, but that's partially because the Author was from my old Warcraft raiding guild and used half the guild as character names.

But mostly biased because of a violent axe wielding Spider kinden mercenary by the name of Morkaris >.>

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Hopefully this isn't too much of a necro. Just finished Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light and it was amazing. The prose, the blending of mythology and science fiction, the rich and thoughtful portrayal of Hinduism and Buddhism, the twists and turns of the plot and the characters... I will definitely be reading more of Zelazny's work from now on.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
    Irillia said:
    Hopefully this isn't too much of a necro. Just finished Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light and it was amazing. The prose, the blending of mythology and science fiction, the rich and thoughtful portrayal of Hinduism and Buddhism, the twists and turns of the plot and the characters... I will definitely be reading more of Zelazny's work from now on.
    I strongly recommend the whole Amber Chronicles by him. Was one of the first fantasy series I ever read and definitely still brings fond memories.

• I just finished re-reading the entirety of the Wheel of Time series, since the last book finally came out. It was quite good, though I was reminded why I dropped it back in sixth grade: the sheer leaden weight of description and characters being uncommunicative idiots really gets to you around book six or seven. Sanderson was a breath of fresh air.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • I know what you mean. I loved the first six, then seven, eight and nine got muddled. Too many characters all over the place with very little actually happening. The last four are on my shelf. Must read them now.
  • Plus dear god the mysogyny.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited April 2013
    I cannot stop reading any book that comes out by Steven Erikson. I do not even know why. They are confusing, there are far too many characters for my poor brain to keep track of (I have a horrible time with names- in his most recent book there was even one segment where I was able to finally place the subject... when I got to the last page), but somehow are terribly compelling for all that.

I've just finished the first book of the backstory-saga he has begun and now eagerly await the next, and cannot reasonably explain why. Agh.
  • edited April 2013
    Talan said:
    Other than that, I got a new kindle for christmas and have been busy filling it up with lots of great stories that cost <$5. Pretty great. Welcoming recs!
    Check out http://www.bookbasset.com/. They have a listing of free Kindle books daily, as well as books for under $1, $3 & $5. I actually get an email everyday from them, but I've downloaded soooo many free books lately that they've listed that I've stopped reading the emails till I get my queue down a bit. But you don't have to sign up for anything, you can just go to their site and see the listings from there.

Reading books from there has got me reading from authors that I've never heard of or maybe wouldn't normally try. I'm in between books right now, but I recently finished the Keegan's Chronicles Trilogy by Julia Crane and Graveyard Games by Sheri Leigh. 
  • Middle of many books, I keep getting distracted. On the topic of favorite childhood books, I'm rereading both the Abhorsen Trilogy and The Tortall books by Tamora Pierce. Also reading the Percy Jackson books. Reading the Maze Runner for a book exchange, but it's bleh. Also reading the Temraire books. This is me, and the wonderful device known as an e-reader that allows me to switch so swiftly.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • edited April 2013
    The Tempest. Somehow got through like 3 Shakespeare classes before getting to this.

Also lots of Denise Levertov poetry. (I really really love Eros at Temple Stream.)
  • Isune said:
    The Tempest. Somehow got through like 3 Shakespeare classes before getting to this.

The Tempest rocks. It's gotta be like my favorite Shakespeare play, other than maaaaaybe King Lear.

I'm currently reading Celebrations of Death: the Anthropology of Mortuary Ritual and Le Morte d'Arthur.

Also, @Ileein: I haven't read the Wheel of Time for like ten years! But it used to be one of my favorite series when I was younger, so maybe I should look into rereading it again, now that it's finaaaaaally finished.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I'm currently reading Fragile Things by  Neil Gaiman. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited April 2013
    Finished Fragile Things and Neverwhere last night! I want more of the Neverwhere universe...

Started on Anansi Boys, too. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback