What are you reading?

Comments

• Hey look, reviving this old thread!
    Totally picked myself up the Soldier's Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. Also snagged the first book of the Earthsea Cycle. Started in on Shaman's Crossing, ho man, forgot how I loved Hobb's social commentary on things. Reading as I piddle along in Lusternia :D
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Ambercrombie, 2nd book of his First Law Trilogy [I keep forgetting to finish it].

Also recently picked up Soulless, by Gail Carriger, 1st of her Parasol Protectorate books. Which so far as been a delightful Jane Austen-esque romp through a London filled with Werewolves, Vampires, Ghosts, and noblewomen worrying over the latest fashions from Paris. I am enjoying it waaaaaay too much 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• In an odd turn of events, I'm reading Asimov's Foundation series: the books mentioned in the first ever post of this thread.
  • edited May 2014
    Ileein said:
    Currently working my way through Words of Radiance, the second book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, about which "doorstopper" is an entirely insufficient word when each book is the size of a cinderblock.
    Is his stuff actually any good, or does he get the coverage because he finished the WoT series?
  • 'The tale of the body thief' by Anne Rice. I am having mixed feelings about this whole series. It's not bad enough to stop reading, there are some damn good passages, but omg is there a lot of filler text I find myself skipping over too. I was told I should have stopped at the previous book, but I'm actually quite enjoying the body thief. Even though it was predictable from miles away how the body switching would go. It's not even a spoiler, it's in the damn title lol. Still, I plan to go on with the series, if only because if I stop reading I might not return to it, so I want to give it a chance and see how far in I end up. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Going along with @Rialorm's current reading, I am planning on re-reading Rice's The Wolf Gift! However, I am currently in the throes of finals, so it will be a couple days before I sink into beautiful, beautiful fiction. I am also queuing up Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah as well as Roxane Gay's The Untamed State
  • Nott said:
    Going along with @Rialorm's current reading, I am planning on re-reading Rice's The Wolf Gift! However, I am currently in the throes of finals, so it will be a couple days before I sink into beautiful, beautiful fiction. I am also queuing up Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah as well as Roxane Gay's The Untamed State
    That book left me speechless. An extremely painful story to read and experience, but a powerful one.
  • I'm working my way through the Mistborn series. Iosai made me start it, and then suddenly, the rest of the Havens got on me about actually starting it. And I'm glad they did! It's pretty neat. 
  • Sanderson's writing is pretty good. I haven't read Stormlight because I already have too many unfinished series that I've read through and am loathe to add another one, but I've read Elantris and Mistborn and a few of his short stories and enjoyed them greatly. Some of the themes and foreshadowing and such are a bit heavy-handed in the early stuff, but I've been told that in his newer stuff (mainly Stormlight) he's tightened up a lot of his writing, while still keeping them pretty fun.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    So, since there's lots of readers here.  Gimme ideas on good things to read.  I tend to like military fiction of any stripe (modern, sci-fi, fantasy, etc), sci-fi and fantasy in general.
  • edited May 2014
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Should keep you occupied for a few months. Or longer.

A substantial component (though far from all) of the series is based around and follows the exploits of a few armies (mix of high and low medievalish-era fantasy), so you get some miltary fiction plus amazing general fantasy stuff. Lots of wonderfully dark soldier humour, if you're into that sort of thing.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • If you're into history at all, Eric Flint's 1632 series is also a very good read, though it can be a bit dry and technical about the military stuff on occasion-- he loves him his guns, boats, and planes, and it shows. The basic premise is that a circa-2000 West Virginia town gets picked up and dropped, lock stock and barrel, into Thuringia (in the Germanies) during the Thirty Years' War, which was a really truly nasty time in that part of the world. There's a lot of rather wry attention paid to the fact that the high school library is now one of the greatest concentrations of knowledge in the world, and flavor-wise it's sort of a three-way mix of technology stuff, politics stuff, and military stuff. Quite satisfying. Plus, it's available for free online at the publisher's website!
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • I don't have any immediate recommendations, but all you fellow book worms may like looking into Goodreads. It's like a social network but for books. You can see what your friends and others on the site are reading, browse reviews, get recommendations and so on. There is also a yearly reading challenge and contests and what not. And of course you can build a list of books to read. Mine is so long I think I need an extra lifetime :P 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • A good fantasy military series is the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. Be warned, it twists and turns and you never know what's gonna happen next. But it is very military.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett, a series chronicling the adventurers of Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt and his regiment, the Tanith First-and-Only, against everything the galaxy has to throw at it.

There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Doctor Sleep
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I feel so uncultured. But I secretly love all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. Ex Military Cop badass genius guy. /swoon

• Alary said:
    A good fantasy military series is the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. Be warned, it twists and turns and you never know what's gonna happen next. But it is very military.
    I never started those books, but there's new Fitz and the Fool coming in August!
  • I really love Brandon Sanderson, and his writing has definitely become more polished and subtle. (For anyone wondering, no, this char is not named after someone in Mistborn)

For military fiction, the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold might quality in the soft science fiction category. I tend to prefer the ones focused on Miles, rather than his parents.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    For sweet sciencey science fiction, try Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's got space travel, first contact, artificial intelligence, transhuman augmentation, (scientifically plausible vampires), and one character with a military background.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I really loved Eon, by Greg Bear, when I was growing up. Time travel! Aliens! Cold War shenanigans!
  • For military fantasy and epic fantasy in general, everything in Elizabeth Bear's The Deed of Paksennarion and the following novels are gold. 
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • I am currently re-reading The Portable Door by Tom Holt. In my opinion, it's light and funny...and I love everything urban-fantasy related.
  • Marcella said:
    Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett, a series chronicling the adventurers of Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt and his regiment, the Tanith First-and-Only, against everything the galaxy has to throw at it.

There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.
    I loved his Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, though I imagine that is less military fiction and more part detective story.

Daraius said:
    For sweet sciencey science fiction, try Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's got space travel, first contact, artificial intelligence, transhuman augmentation, (scientifically plausible vampires), and one character with a military background.
    And Chinese Rooms! It is truly a great read, also totes free on the interwebs.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Currently finishing up "The Last Threshold" by R. A. Salvatore.  Then on to "Mirror Sight" by Kristen Britain!
  • Oh, I love Pride and Prejudice and everything based on it (I still have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my shelf...need to read it when I have time). And Ancient Greek is lovely as well :)
  • edited May 2014
    Khydan said:
    Alary said:
    A good fantasy military series is the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. Be warned, it twists and turns and you never know what's gonna happen next. But it is very military.
    I never started those books, but there's new Fitz and the Fool coming in August!
    I KNOW, I HAVE IT PREORDERED. Not gonna lie, I cried a little when I found out about it. Those books touched me as a teenager and have never let go. I cherish them and reread them a lot.
  • Alary said:
    Khydan said:
    Alary said:
    I KNOW, I HAVE IT PREORDERED. Not gonna lie, I cried a little when I found out about it. Those books touched me as a teenager and have never let go. I cherish them and reread them a lot.
    Soldier Son Trilogy is awesome.  I also cannot wait to read Fool's Assassin.