What are you reading?

Comments

• I devoured Skin Game by Jim Butcher in less than 48 hours.

Now I have to read it again because of a plot twist revealed at the end. THANKS OBAMA.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited June 2014
    Ieptix said:
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Should keep you occupied for a few months. Or longer.

A substantial component (though far from all) of the series is based around and follows the exploits of a few armies (mix of high and low medievalish-era fantasy), so you get some miltary fiction plus amazing general fantasy stuff. Lots of wonderfully dark soldier humour, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Don't get me started on how much I love this series. I've been buying all the books (having read them all) and this series is just absolutely amazing confusingly awesome  Some have compared it to Tolkein and G R R Martin put together in one series. So much carnage, so much destruction. So many main character's lost. 

You're alright in my books @Ieptix

Let's not forget the complexity of these books. All the factions explained in depth, and at least two books to back up each faction in it's own right. 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Lillie said:
    I devoured Skin Game by Jim Butcher in less than 48 hours.

Now I have to read it again because of a plot twist revealed at the end. THANKS OBAMA.
    Same. I had the book pre-ordered and was waiting all day for it, and ended up finishing it the next day after I fell asleep. I'll probably start my re-read of it later today after I get home from work. I want to also go back and re-read the entire series, but it'll be a pain trying to gather all the books. I decided to start going through Amazon and seeing what books I'd like to get, though may just end up paying off my library fine and getting books from there.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Indeed. I'm currently making my second attempt at the Malazan Book of the Fallen, having gotten most of the way through Deadhouse Gates the first time before school made me put it down. This time I'm on the third one and pretty into it. Still not entirely clear on what the concept of Ascendants in the Malazan books entails, though I'm given to understand that's the way with those books.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
    edited June 2014
    To be completely honest it's exceedingly vague throughout the entire series. 

Essentially it's like Lusternia meet's Stargate I think. When you reach a state of being, you ascend to be a demigod/god. It's different based on the continent too. It's all very vague.  If they gain a religion, they gain power through the religion. Or other such powers. It plays a huge hand in things like the Deck of Dragons, but you don't have to be ascended to be in the Deck. My FAVORITE character by far is Fiddler for his Readings. The way they've always played a 'casual card game' that's ALWAYS used the Deck of Dragons.. (even before we begun putting ourselves inside that story, the Bridge Burners have been mucking with the Deck)

But, in short they're immortal beings that have transcended death in some way. As I said. Take Stargate Ascendants. Take Lusternia Ascendants. Mash their concept together and bam almost the same thing. 

The only TRUE gods in my opinion of the Malazan series are the 'Elder' gods. Like Burn, K'rul, Mother Dark, etc etc (On that note, Mael's my favorite Elder God. That sly bastard)
  • I was going to try mentioning a few of my favourite characters from the series, but then I realized that I'd have had to list of basically 70% of the cast. :|

For generating good, hearty from-the-gut laughs, though, Tehol+Bugg and Iskaral Pust are the clear winners.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    edited June 2014
    Ieptix said:
    I was going to try mentioning a few of my favourite characters from the series, but then I realized that I'd have had to list of basically 70% of the cast. :|

For generating good, hearty from-the-gut laughs, though, Tehol+Bugg and Iskaral Pust are the clear winners.
    Tehol + Bugg was just my favorite dialog in the entire series. Pust was a good amusement as well but Fiddler's bullshit gave me FAR more laughs. Jaghut are my favorite race as well.

• I removed what amounted to a pretty major spoiler from your post, since I can't seem to make this forum's spoiler functionality work.

Discussion with spoilers is fine if it's in it's own thread with a warning in the title, but let's try and keep this one clear of them, since we've got people who are in the middle of reading through the series watching the thread. Spoiler-free discussion is fine, but if there's more than a few mentions it'd probably warrant its own thread as well (so as not to derail this one overmuch).
  • Fahrenheit 451. Nomnom dystopian fiction. This may be a theme for the next few books I pick up.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I'm re-reading Diana gabaldon series "outlander"

JAMIE FRASER!
    CLAIRE! _squee_

she's got 8 books out now, each of at least 800 pages each. for those that digest slowly, that'll be one years worth of reading I bet. 
    is dead like the dodo
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Munsia said:
    Ieptix said:
    I was going to try mentioning a few of my favourite characters from the series, but then I realized that I'd have had to list of basically 70% of the cast. :|

Tehol + Bugg was just my favorite dialog in the entire series. Pust was a good amusement as well but Fiddler's bullshit gave me FAR more laughs. Jaghut are my favorite race as well.

I always liked Picker and Blend and the rest of the 9th (is it 9th? I always forget, it's been awhile). 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • 1984. Finally reading the origin of all these cultural references to it.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    edited June 2014
    Synkarin said:
    Munsia said:
    Ieptix said:

I always liked Picker and Blend and the rest of the 9th (is it 9th? I always forget, it's been awhile). 
    Technically speaking. Picker and Blend, Detoran, Antsy, and Spindle were from the 7th...the main characters were from the 9th. But yes, Picker and Blend were pretty cool. Noone really beats the dangerous duo of sappers Hedge and Fiddler though. Quite a pair and the dialog between them is almost as good as Bugg and Tehol. 

I'm also a huge fan of how they all get their names in the bridge burners. How you earn your name. Almost noone knows anyone's real name. 

The story behidn the Bridge Burners is actually an amazing one that I still don't fully comprehend.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited June 2014
    I've always taken The Prince as ironic, a swipe at leaders who had spurned him, and their immoral methods hyperbolized to cariacture.
  • Bioshock: Rapture - John Shirly

Prequel to the Bioshock video games, really cool, really well written and keeps the same feel of the game. Adds some extra info and is sort of independently written, with help from 2K and such, rather than just another tie-in book product.

The Death of Achilles - Boris Akunin

A nice thing I picked up in a discount book store about a Russian version of Sherlock Holmes who can do kung fu, has unlimited luck and a faithful sidekick. It's written quite a ways back, so like the Fu Manchu series (Sax Rohma) it is probably a bit politically incorrect, but it's a great story. (I am not a racist, I just like well written books).

It's hard to think up books I'm currently reading as I re-read books a lot so I'm reading the Harry Potter series at the moment, even though I read it 3 years ago.
    Retired.
  • edited June 2014
    Enyalida said:
    I've always taken The Prince as ironic, a swipe at leaders who had spurned him, and their immoral methods hyperbolized to cariacture.
    This is also an argument, Some analysts such as Mary Deitz have said that the book is actually part of a campaign to undermine the Medici's and aide in the return of the Republic in which he seems to genuinely support. The reason for this is three pieces of Advice.
    • He discourages liberality and favors deceit to guarantee support from the people. Yet Machiavelli is keenly aware of the fact that an earlier pro-republican coup had been thwarted by the people's inaction that itself stemmed from the prince's liberality.
    • He supports arming the people despite the fact that he knows the Florentines are decidedly pro-democratic and would oppose the prince
    • He encourages the prince to live in the city he conquers. This opposes the Medicis' habitual policy of living outside the city. It also makes it easier for rebels or a civilian militia to attack and overthrow the prince.

More yet still such as Rousseau and Antonio Gramsci argued that actually, the book was not even designed for the Political Elite because they would already have known a lot of this stuff from their education in Principalities but rather that it was for the common pauper so that they may understand how their leaders solidify their power, also in an attempt to encourage the destabilization of the Medici's.

I however still verge on the side that he was trying anything to restore favour and return to public life, especially considering he actually does it in 1525. Also given the fact it is granted a seal of approval by the Medici Pope at the time. In his letter to Vettori he writes, "And as this little thing [his book], when it has been read it will be seen that during the fifteen years I have given to the study of statecraft I have neither slept nor idled; and men ought ever to desire to be served by one who has reaped experience at the expense of others. And of my loyalty none could doubt, because having always kept faith I could not now learn how to break it; for he who has been faithful and honest, as I have, cannot change his nature; and my poverty is a witness to my honesty."

He also adds, "And because Dante says: Knowledge doth come of learning well retained, unfruitful else I have noted down what I have gained from their conversation, and have composed a small work  on 'Principalities', where I pour myself out as fully as I can in meditation on the subject, discussing what a principality is, what kinds there are, how they can be acquired, how they can be kept, why they are lost; and if any of my fancies ever pleased you, this ought not to displease you: and to a prince, especially to a new one, it should be welcome: therefore I dedicate it to his Magnificence Guiliano. Fillippo, Cassavechio has seen it; he will be able to tell you what is in it, and of the discourses I have had with him; nevertheless , I am still enriching and polishing it."

(As a brief side note this an an incredibly interesting period for me. Italy and Europe are recovering from the ages in which many scholars and intellectuals are put to the sword, library's are burned and University's torn down. The Economy is only just returning as with the death of the intellectuals the previous economy of the Romans and medieval ages collapses. Machiavelli lived essentially at the birth of Modern Rationalism, and shortly after his death Science is going to be born.)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lavinya said:
    Doing my zillionth re-read of the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey. I am in love with her way with words, it's just so...beautiful. I love this bastard language we call English.
    Our daughter's middle name is Phedre. That's how much my wife loves this series :)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    As for me, I'm reading this one book. It's written by a doctor and it's about fish. One or two of them swimming around together, and then there's a red one, and a blue one.
    I recently picked up and read a book about some bug which eats a lot of food. He's apparently starving or something, and it's a really good twist at the end after he's eaten.
    Retired.
  • Ok, well... I mostly read theology books. Most recent one is "Can a Smart Person Believe in God?" 

But it's not very good and so far making me glad I didn't  spend money on it. Easy read, though.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
    Kethaera said:
    Ok, well... I mostly read theology books. Most recent one is "Can a Smart Person Believe in God?" 

But it's not very good and so far making me glad I didn't  spend money on it. Easy read, though.
    What's the level of smart it's talking? A smart person as in scientist, or just an actual smart person....
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited June 2014
    Ignore me.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Shaddus said:
    As for me, I'm reading this one book. It's written by a doctor and it's about fish. One or two of them swimming around together, and then there's a red one, and a blue one.
    This one?

Started reading Glen Cook's The Black Company series a couple days ago.
  • Munsia said:
    Kethaera said:
    Ok, well... I mostly read theology books. Most recent one is "Can a Smart Person Believe in God?" 

What's the level of smart it's talking? A smart person as in scientist, or just an actual smart person....
    An actual smart person, defined by "high IQ"(which is a fairly useless and vague standard of measuring high intelligence, I.E., one of my first problems with the book). However, the author most often mentions scientists as being those smart people, so it's a little of both. Most ideas in the book aren't well-defined nor particularly well-written.

...That said, I think I enjoy reading books I dislike almost as much as books I like. Criticizing is fun.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Isune said:
    Started 'The Book Thief' after stealing it from a friend (ironic?). Liking it so far!
    I picked this up a couple of years ago after being intrigued by the cover and the first few pages. Very good book, such a powerful subject but written wonderfully and in such an odd way as in from the viewpoint of Death. It carries my favourite line of Death wondering if anyone ever got injured from the Nazi salute and dryly remarking that no one had ever died from it, except for the forty million people he picked up.

I'm currently reading (between Educational Policy textbooks): NOS4R2 (or NOS4A2 in America) by Joe Hill. Intrigued thus far.
    Also just bought The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman for the wife.
  • Ieptix said:
    Shaddus said:
    This one?

Started reading Glen Cook's The Black Company series a couple days ago.
    Oh, I read those. I couldn't really get into them, though; your results may vary. It just seemed to me like it was trying really hard to impress with excessive violence and DARKNESS.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• edited June 2014
    Lillie said:
    It just seemed to me like it was trying really hard to impress with excessive violence and DARKNESS.
    ...what else would one want out of life a book?
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    The Silence of the Lambs!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback