What are you reading?

Comments

• Aerdiya said:
    Oh, I love Pride and Prejudice and everything based on it (I still have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my shelf...need to read it when I have time). And Ancient Greek is lovely as well :)
    I read Pride and Prejudice at least once every two months. My copy is so worn out! It's absolutely my favorite novel for that time period.

However, I tend to the fantasy side more.
  • Hehe, same here. Mine looks a bit fringed, but that's just because I've taken it to so many places (scout camps etc.) and spent some time travelling with it.

Oh, and regarding fantasy books, I can recommend the Otherland series by Tad Williams. Though it's probably more sci-fi than fantasy.

• then I'm currently reading/listening to the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. if you're into sarcarsm. You'll like Bartimaeus of Uruk!

I'm hunting for a good classic book, that does not feature lords or ladies or and english manor or traditional like that. Any recommendations? 

For fantasy...I recommend

Seraphina by rachel hartman
    The Painted Man series by Peter V Brett ( a diff. take on demons) 
    "In the name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. that's my top recommendation to anyone!

is dead like the dodo
  • Xeria said:

then I'm currently reading/listening to the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. if you're into sarcarsm. You'll like Bartimaeus of Uruk!

Did he ever finish that? I enjoyed the first two books. :o
  • I think that there are three of them plus one prequel. But I am not sure since it's been a while since I read them. The humor was great. I should put them on my re-read list. 
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    For those looking for sci-fi recommendations: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is an amazing book about being a spaceship.

If that hasn't sold you already, I don't know what would.
  • Tacita said:
    For those looking for sci-fi recommendations: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is an amazing book about being a spaceship.

The Brainship series by Anne McCaffrey is also a pretty awesome one when it comes to being a spaceship. (I <3 Anne McCaffrey. Her series are pretty awesome, sadly, she died, but her son has been continuing some of them.)
  • Tacita said:

I really really enjoyed that book.

And no one I know seems to have heard of it or want to read it.
  • Elayde said:
    Tacita said:

The Brainship series by Anne McCaffrey is also a pretty awesome one when it comes to being a spaceship. (I <3 Anne McCaffrey. Her series are pretty awesome, sadly, she died, but her son has been continuing some of them.)
    Oh no! I had no idea she died! She and Mercedes Lackey were my first introduction to scifi and fantasy. Now I'm all sad.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Parua said:
    Elayde said:
    Tacita said:

Oh no! I had no idea she died! She and Mercedes Lackey were my first introduction to scifi and fantasy. Now I'm all sad.
    She had a stroke and died in 2011. :( She was my first real introduction as well, with the Pern novels. I'm just thankful I have read her books and thankful to her as an author for them, you know?

Do any of you happen to have a Goodreads account? If so, let me know, either PM or reply here. We can show each other our book lists. :D
  • Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey and Robin Hobb were my introductions, and I'm still sad McCaffrey died D:
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Ender's Game was amazing and honestly, really rather mind-trippy towards the end of the first book.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I knoooow. I just got sucked into the whole Ender's Saga.
    ;;)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I know a few people disliked the movie but I honestly think, considering the amount in the book they did it justice. It encouraged me to pick up the saga after watching.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    My next paycheck is going to be invested in rebuilding my Dragonlance collection.

It will be awesome.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Due to the fact the last Raymond E Feist book came out a little while ago, I decided to re-read from the beginning. I don't want to read the last one, and I do want to. I'm putting it off!! Currently I'm on Silverthorn.
  • I'm "reading" a few things.I'm currently reading  A. Lee Martinez's books, Monster more focusedly. Catherynne M. Valente's works with Deathless as the one currently reading. I'm taking a pause in reading the Incarnations of Immortality series, and need to start reading The Black Unicorn of the Landover series.
  • Right now, I'm reading the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. They are very addictive, one of those can't-put-it-down series! (Currently on the last book, Mirror Sight.)
  • Estarra said:
    Right now, I'm reading the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. They are very addictive, one of those can't-put-it-down series! (Currently on the last book, Mirror Sight.)
    Oh! I read the first one, but I haven't read the rest of them. I'm jealous! I'll have to buy them later and read them!
  • I just finished reading The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold. I did so with some regret, because it was the last of her fantasy books I hadn't read, and who knows when/if there will be more? I loved it, though (of course).

Now I am reading Belgarath the Sorcerer. This is pure nostalgia. I loved those books when I was about 14, and haven't read them since.
  • Nihmriel said:
    I just finished reading The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold. I did so with some regret, because it was the last of her fantasy books I hadn't read, and who knows when/if there will be more? I loved it, though (of course).

Now I am reading Belgarath the Sorcerer. This is pure nostalgia. I loved those books when I was about 14, and haven't read them since.
    Hmm! A new series to add to my list. :D
  • At this moment, I re-read the Horus Heresy from the beginning, as I recently gained the 26th!!! book. Tis a horridly long series, but so fascinating to learn their world, an how it is so similar/different to our own.

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll
  • WHY ARE ALL THE 40k FANS GLOMDORING
  • edited May 2014
    Red Gold of Africa by Eugenia Herbert - It's all about the use of copper in sub-Saharan Africa. I don't recommend it unless you're an archaeology/ancient metals geek like me but it is very good.

On the fiction front, I've been listening to James Marsters read the Dresden Files books on my drives between London and Newcastle and that's been fun. Going to start book four, the Summer Knight, on my return journey on Tuesday. Don't have time to read fiction atm :( But I am taking notes on what to read next from this thread so keep em coming.
  • Mkay, so I have commitment problems to my reading plans. I've ended up reading The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick lately. They're actually delicious historical fiction books about William Marshall.
  • I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the next book in the Dresden Files, Skin Game, comes out in approximately 1 week. Whee.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • edited May 2014
    Marcella said:
    WHY ARE ALL THE 40k FANS GLOMDORING

AVE DEUS MACHANICUS! AVE OMNISSIAH!

Of course, I -was- Glom... 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited May 2014
    Marcella said:
    WHY ARE ALL THE 40k FANS GLOMDORING

We really buy into the "For the greater good"

...thing the Tau have going.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• The Circle by Dave Eggers. I am having serious trouble putting this book down. I don't remember how this ended on my reading list as nobody I know has read it, but I will now recommend it to all of you who like the idea of some big social media company which could be Google or Facebook, and the protagonist who goes to work there, and all the interesting moral questions and dilemmas this brings with it.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.