The Great Lusternian Cookbook

Comments

• The recipe for The Greatest Steak Ever:

Grab yourself a pound of some good quality meat, preferably with a bit of fat on it for flavor. Season the steak with 1.5 teaspoons of salt, 1.5 teaspoons of ground coffee, and as much garlic as you're comfortable with. Let the steak sit at room temperature (covered) for about 30 minutes.

Afterwards heat up a pan on the stove (preferably cast iron, though any will do) and melt on some butter. After the butter starts to simmer, drop in your steak. Lower temp to medium-high.

Now for the most controversial part of this endeavor: flipping the steak over every 30 seconds. Normally, when grilling your steak, you don't want to flip too often else the juices will come out and you'll be left with leather. However, since the juices will just collect into the pan, you can flip as often as you want. To ensure even cooking, flip every 30 seconds or so.

After the steak is medium-rare, remove from the pan but don't turn off the heat. Instead, pour in a half cup of Cognac and another half cup of whipping cream (half-and-half works well). Whisk until the sauce gets thick, then pour over the steak.

Enjoy!

• Watching Victorian Bakers- Modern bakers challenged to use period recipes and equipment only, whilst wearing period appropriate clothing.

if you're not in the uk try using unotelly (that's what I use)

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)

• Havastus said:

After the steak is medium-rare, remove from the pan but don't turn off the heat. Instead, pour in a half cup of Cognac and another half cup of whipping cream (half-and-half works well). Whisk until the sauce gets thick, then pour over the steak.

Enjoy!
    Alternative:

Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO and 1 finely chopped shallot. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Deglaze the pan with a deep red wine, and fill to 1/4". Reduce heat to medium, then reduce wine by half.
    Whisk in 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard, then stir in a measure of heavy cream. Cook for another minute.
    Remove from heat, and stir in about 1/3 cup crumbled roquefort cheese. Sieve if you're fancy (not necessary).

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:

Havastus said:

Enjoy!
    Alternative:

Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO and 1 finely chopped shallot. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Deglaze the pan with a deep red wine, and fill to 1/4". Reduce heat to medium, then reduce wine by half.
    Whisk in 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard, then stir in a measure of heavy cream. Cook for another minute.
    Remove from heat, and stir in about 1/3 cup crumbled roquefort cheese. Sieve if you're fancy (not necessary).

Ooo that sounds awesome! I bet the mustard gives it a bit of a kick.

• A Halli Cake!

@Daraius, thought of you

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
  • Havastus said:
    The recipe for The Greatest Steak Ever:

Grab yourself a pound of some good quality meat, preferably with a bit of fat on it for flavor. Season the steak with 1.5 teaspoons of salt, 1.5 teaspoons of ground coffee, and as much garlic as you're comfortable with. Let the steak sit at room temperature (covered) for about 30 minutes.

Afterwards heat up a pan on the stove (preferably cast iron, though any will do) and melt on some butter. After the butter starts to simmer, drop in your steak. Lower temp to medium-high.

Now for the most controversial part of this endeavor: flipping the steak over every 30 seconds. Normally, when grilling your steak, you don't want to flip too often else the juices will come out and you'll be left with leather. However, since the juices will just collect into the pan, you can flip as often as you want. To ensure even cooking, flip every 30 seconds or so.

Enjoy!

I am curious about the purpose of the ground coffee. Flavor? Caffine?
  • edited February 2016
    So, my new(well, it's been 6+ months) roommate has been teaching me to cook. I've got several recipes. An egg-free breakfast bake, the best fajita's you'll ever have, arroz con frijoles negros(i am really bad at spanish so this is probably horribly butchered because I don't know where the little accent things go) (rice and black beans), bacon wrapped chestnuts, and some others. Would anyone be interested in any of these, I don't want to spam. 
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Yes, please! I love cooking and soon I'll have a usable kitchen again so I can cook ALL the things.
  • edited February 2016
    Egg-Free Breakfast Bake
    (you can probably add egg but half of our house is allergic to poultry so we haven't tried it)

Ingredients:
    1 bag shredded potatoes, frozen.
    At least 2 cups of shredded cheese(your choice)
    A tube of pork sausage(you can use like turkey but again, poultry allergy in the house)
    One Onion (chopped very tiny)

You'll need a good baking dish, a large one. Well, medium-large. And a frying pan. 

Chop your onion, toss it in a frying pan.
    Cook that sausage and onion together until fully cooked
    Toss that into the baker
    (preheat oven)
    Cook the potatoes according to the bag(how we do it is different but it's also kinda hard to explain so going with package instructions works just as well)
    Toss them in the baking dish
    Add cheese. All of the cheese. Well, most of the cheese. Mix everything up really good, drizzle more cheese on top.
    Shove that sucker in the oven. 350 F for 10-15 minutes.
    Remove and enjoy.

It's kinda greasy, but really yummy. Also feeds like 4 adults.

Fajitas!
    (this recipe was ganked from online and improved upon greatly)
    What you'll need:
    For the marinade:
    4 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    For cooking:
    2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into large pieces to fit on a grill or broiler pan or in a ridged grill pan

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 assorted colored bell peppers, sliced thin
    1 large red onion, sliced thin
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Tortillas
    Salsa and/or Gaucamole
    Sour cream
    Shredded cheese

Do the marinade like a day before. Preferably at least a good 8-12 hours. The longer it sits, the better it will be. Mix up the marinade, and add the meat. If you've got more meat, do more of the marinade. I tend to use a half more of everything. You can use lemon juice, but lime makes it way better.
    So when you're ready to cook, take the steak. You can grill it, or a griller pan will work. We use a George Foreman grill, it works great. Also, you can broil them under your broiler. You want the meat medium to medium rare. Then find a nice cutting board and lay the meat out, let it rest.
    Then grab a frying pan and toss the second bunch of garlic in the pan and heat that up. Slice the onion and peppers and toss them in the frying pan with the olive oil. Cook until done. Usually, when the onion has cooked, the peppers will be done as well.
    By this time the meat should have rested enough so you slice it up, thin slices, across the grain. 

Time to make your fajita. Just toss everything in a tortilla until you're satisfied it'll be delicious.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • @Kaalak the coffee grounds are for flavor. They burn ever so slightly and it tastes excellent!

• Cool! Thanks!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Cooking this today. Wish me luck!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Cooking this today. Wish me luck!
    Oh my god that looks amazing.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    TIL that the recipe is really good, but don't overcook the meat. It gets salty and turns into meaty mush.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    For anything slowcooker, the tougher the better imo.
  • don't drink the gravy! :P eat with rice.
    is dead like the dodo
  • Meemaw's Chicken Soup.

1. Prepare and serve an elaborate meal of roast chicken, stuffing, gravy, and the vegetables of your choice. Or, get one of these rotisserie chickens from the grocery and just eat the meat with your fingers while standing at your kitchen counter. Your call.

2. Strip all the remaining meat off the chicken and store in the fridge in large chunks. Don't be squeamish, get in there.

3. Fill a huge stock pot with water. Add the desiccated chicken carcass, and any skin/gristle/congealed drippings at the bottom of the pan, etc.

4. Add carrots, celery, onions. No need to peal these or remove the skins, just roughly chop them (1-2" pieces). Use the leafy tops of the celery or the pale bottoms, the ends of onions. If your carrots still have their green tops, just throw them all in the pot. If you have any other wilty veg in your fridge, feel free to throw that in too - leeks and shallots are nice, but anything that isn't starchy will do well.

5. Along with a couple of bay leaves, add 3 tablespoons of kosher salt, and a generous amount of ground black pepper, and a tablespoon of thyme. If you have a bouquet garni that you like, feel free.

6. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 36 hours straight. If you do not wish to leave the stove lit overnight, you can take it off the heat and restart it in the morning. Stir very occasionally.

7. Sieve, reserving only the liquid.

>> If you have more than 3 quarts of stock at this point, you can freeze it.

8. Chop more finely: 1.5 cups each onion, carrots, celery, and re-add them to the strained stock.

9. Simmer for an hour or two. Add salt/pepper to taste.

10. Add 2-3 cups of egg noodles (any sort), or 2-3 cups of cooked rice*, and the chicken you reserved earlier (diced).

11. Simmer for another 20 minutes, or until pasta/rice is cooked to your liking.

*If you use rice, cook it separately 2:1 with this stock instead of plain water. Do not add uncooked rice to the soup.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Everyone is clamoring for...

Daraius Shevat's Perfect Buns
    Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cook time: 12 minutes
    Difficulty: *

Ingredients

9 ounces warm water
    2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
    1/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt

Preparation

1. Dissolve yeast in water, add sugar and oil, and let stand for five minutes. I do all this in my stand mixer, but any medium sized bowl will do.

2. Whisk in egg, then stir in flours and salt (or just add these ingredients while running your mixer with the dough hook attachment). You'll get a soft, slightly sticky dough. Knead in mixer or by hand on a floured surface for another five minutes or so until the dough is stretchy and not as sticky. With whole wheat flour, it won't become completely smooth.

3. Break dough into 9-12 roughly equally sized pieces. Obviously the fewer buns you make, the larger they'll be. Knead each piece individually a little and form it into a compact little ball for hamburger buns, or roll into a cigar shape for hot dog buns. Preheat your oven to 425 F, place the dough balls on a parchment or foil-covered baking sheet and let rest under a towel for ten minutes.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes depending on the size of your buns (12 for big buns, less for small ones). Let them cool on a rack, and enjoy as soon as you'd like.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Hey y'all. You want some meat for my buns?

Meat Burgers
    Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cook time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

2 pounds ground meat (I did one part pork, two parts beef, but I bet you could use turkey, chicken, or lamb)
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pureed onion
    2 Tablespoons fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons of dry herbs (Basil and oregano are always fine choices. Cilantro is my favorite, but not everyone likes it)
    1 Tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
    salt and pepper (about a teaspoon each)

Preparation

1. Whisk together everything except the ground meat, then mix the meat in with a spoon or rubber spatula. Try not to play with it too much, just ensure everything's properly mixed together.

2. Form patties. I have a set of semi-spherical measuring cups that make it a breeze to measure things that I want to shape into patties. The 2/3 cup did the trick for me this time. Whatever tool you use, you ought to get eight or nine patties out of this much meat.

3. Grill or pan fry until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F (71 C). If you don't have a thermometer, go buy one and hope your burgers don't burn while you're out shopping.

4. Serve on my perfect buns with lettuce, pickled onions, avocado, and cheese. 
    I used to make cakes.

• edited June 2016
    My crab cakes

Makes around 10 patties and takes around an hour to complete.

Ingredients:

300 g unshelled crab meat or crab-flavoured goberge
    1 can of tuna
    1 cup maize
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup finely sliced spinach
    1 egg
    1 spoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 spoon dry mustard
    1 spoon garlic powder
    a few pinches of salt
    a few pinches of pepper
    flour

- Mix everything in a bowl, except the flour. 

- Pack patties out of 2-3 scoops of the mix. 

- Dust the patties with the flour and place them on a baking tray. 

- Bake at 300F for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Then flip and bake for another 20 minutes or until lightly brown.

Forgive the bad lighting of the pictures...

Before going in the oven :

Final result :
  • edited June 2016
    Since today is Whanau Day in DC, thought I'd post a family recipe for hangi/kalua pork

Home-style Party Pig (Oven-baked)

What you need:

A good, fat capped pork shoulder, skinless, 2 lbs
    Ti Leaves, fresh, for wrapping (optional if you can't get them)
    Chile Sweat Liquid Smoke,  2 tsp
    Shoyu, 4 oz
    Water, 1 C

Dry Rub:
    Granulated garlic, 2 Tblsp
    Brown sugar, 1/2 C
    Cumin, 2 Tblsp
    New Mexico Red Chile powder, mild, 2 Tblsp
    Kosher salt, 1/4 C
    Freshly cracked black pepper 2 Tblsp

What to Do:
    Season your baking dish with a bit of oil.
    Score into the pork across the fat cap into cubes, but don't cut all the way through the meat (this will make it easier to tear into later)
    Mix dry rub ingredients together and rub all over the pork shoulder
    Put the pork fatty side up in a baking dish, tall enough to hold the liquid etc.
    If using Ti leaves, slide them around the sides of the pork's perimeter, like you're making a bird's nest, then place 1-2 leaves semi-loosely on top of the fat cap to cover. Don't line the bottom..
    Whisk together water, shoyu and liquid smoke
    Carefully pour liquid into baking dish
    Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350F for 2-3 hours until it's fall-apart tender.
    Unwrap foil and leaves, reserving leaves.
    Drain 80% liquid and set aside, keeping warm.
    Shred the pork!
    Slowly reincorporate the liquid while fluffing the meat with forks until you get your preferred consistency of moisture
    Adjust seasoning if needed
    Serve pork on fresh leaves, covered with reserved cooked leaves if for some crazy reason you can't dig in immediately.
    Excess liquid can be used for gravy or soups later

• Since it's getting hot and muggy, here are some cold fruit soups!

Watermelon Berry Soup (serves 1-2)
    1/2 seedless watermelon, those small Dulcinea types are good for individual servings
    16 oz strawberries, hulled
    12 oz raspberries
    2/3 C orange juice
    1/2 C sugar
    Squeeze lemon juice
    2-3 C other fruit to garnish (diced melon, mangoes, blueberries, blackberries etc)

What to do:
    Trim the bottom of the melon half to keep it stable when sitting on a flat surface, but don't cut too much
    Carefully hollow out the melon half, try not to make a hole in the rind
    Blend all ingredients except those meant for garnish until smooth
    Taste and adjust for sugar or more lemon juice, if needed
    Pour soup into melon bowl, save remaining soup for refills
    Chill in fridge until ready to serve
    Garnish with other fruits on top or around the base of the bowl, plated

Strawberry-Mango Soup
    1 C vanilla soymilk (or other type, almond, hemp, coconut etc.)
    1 lb silken tofu, rinsed gently, then cubed
    2 C diced mango, as ripe as possible
    3 C strawberries, halved
    3/4 C sugar
    1-2 Tblsp popping juice boba, lychee or mango flavored for garnish
    Juice 1 lemon

What to do:
    Blend all ingredients except boba until smooth.
    Taste for sweetness/acidity and balance as needed.
    If it's too thick for your liking, thin it out with a little soymilk
    Top with boba
    Serve chilled

edited November 2016
    Taco Pizza y'all. This utilizes some prepackaged spices and sauces which I'm generally not a fan of, but it's mostly homemade.
    Prep time: 75 minutes (prepare toppings while crust is rising)
    Cook time: 30 minutes

Crust

3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. masa harina (corn flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 package of spicy taco seasoning
    1 3/4 c. warm water
    2 Tbsp. oil (olive, vegetable, or even sesame)
    2 1/4 tsp. yeast

Dissolve the yeast in the water and oil while you combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water and gently stir until you have a kind of shaggy dough. This isn't one you need to knead -- you're just working it together until the dry bits are incorporated. Apply some oil to your hands, rub the dough ball down, and transfer it to an oiled bowl to rise in a warm place (even a very slightly warm oven) for about an hour. The following steps can all be done while the dough is rising.

Sauce

15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
    6 oz. can of tomato paste
    15 oz. can of red enchilada sauce
    1 package of mild taco seasoning
    1/2 c. water
    2 T. oil
    1 tsp. coriander
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 T. minced garlic

Combine and cook over low heat. Use an immersion blender if you like a smooth pizza sauce.

Toppings

15 oz. can of corn
    15 oz. can of black beans
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1 red onion
    1 red pepper

up to 1 lb of chicken, cut into strips
    2 Tbsp lime juice
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp chili powder

shredded mozzarella cheese
    queso fresco
    cilantro
    avocado, diced

Heat up corn and beans over low heat. Saute onion and red pepper with some salt and black pepper. Marinate chicken in lime juice, soy, and spice mixture, then saute until cooked through.

Assembly

Line a half sheet pan with foil and oil the bottom and sides. Gently smoosh the dough into the pan, spreading it as evenly as possible into all corners, then bake for 10 minutes at 400 F. After ten minutes, spread as much sauce as you like in the middle of the crust, leaving up to an inch around the edges. Sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese and the onion and pepper mixture. Bake for another ten minutes. Add the chicken, as much beans and corn as you like, and crumble the wheel of queso fresco all over everything, then bake for a final ten minutes. Garnish with diced avocado and fresh cilantro. 

I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Taco Pizza y'all. This utilizes some prepackaged spices and sauces which I'm generally not a fan of, but it's mostly homemade.

Crust

3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. masa harina (corn flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 package of spicy taco seasoning
    1 3/4 c. warm water
    2 Tbsp. oil (olive, vegetable, or even sesame)
    2 1/4 tsp. yeast

Dissolve the yeast in the water and oil while you combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add the water and gently stir until you have a kind of shaggy dough. This isn't one you need to knead -- you're just working it together until the dry bits are incorporated. Apply some oil to your hands, rub the dough ball down, and transfer it to an oiled bowl to rise in a warm place (even a very slightly warm oven) for about an hour. The following steps can all be done while the dough is rising.

Sauce

15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
    6 oz. can of tomato paste
    15 oz. can of red enchilada sauce
    1 package of mild taco seasoning
    1/2 c. water
    2 T. oil
    1 tsp. coriander
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 T. minced garlic

Combine and cook over low heat. Use an immersion blender if you like a smooth pizza sauce.

Toppings

15 oz. can of corn
    15 oz. can of black beans
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1 red onion
    1 red pepper

up to 1 lb of chicken, cut into strips
    2 Tbsp lime juice
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp chili powder

shredded mozzarella cheese
    queso fresco
    cilantro
    avocado, diced

Heat up corn and beans over low heat. Saute onion and red pepper with some salt and black pepper. Marinate chicken in lime juice, soy, and spice mixture, then saute until cooked through.

Assembly

Line a half sheet pan with foil and oil the bottom and sides. Gently smoosh the dough into the pan, spreading it as evenly as possible into all corners, then bake for 10 minutes at 400 F. After ten minutes, spread as much sauce as you like in the middle of the crust, leaving up to an inch around the edges. Sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese and the onion and pepper mixture. Bake for another ten minutes. Add the chicken, as much beans and corn as you like, and crumble the wheel of queso fresco all over everything, then bake for a final ten minutes. Garnish with diced avocado and fresh cilantro. 

I dunno if you've ever done it, but taco pizza is really good with a drizzle of sour cream.

edited November 2016
    Here are the desserts I made for Thanksgiving. They were a hit!

Lemon Meringue Nests
    Prep time: 30 minutes
    Cook time: 2-3 hours (mostly inactive)
    Difficulty: **

Meringue Ingredients
    4 egg whites (save the yolks)
    1 cup sugar
    zest of 1 lemon (optional)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 200 F (93 C). Clean your mixing bowl and whisk meticulously with lemon juice to remove any trace of fat. Separate the eggs being careful not to get even a speck of yolk in your whites. Set the yolks aside for later.

2. Whisk egg whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar. When you start getting soft peaks, add the vanilla, then slowly add the sugar and continue whipping until the meringue is smooth, glossy, and stiff. You should feel no grit if you rub it between your fingers. Fold in the lemon zest now.

3. Using a pastry bag (and a star tip if you have one), pipe small dollops on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then pipe a little wall around each one, forming a well. They will expand as they cook so don't pipe them too close together.

4. Bake for 2-3 hours or until the meringues are dry, rigid, and can be removed from the parchment without leaving any of the base behind. (Hopefully yours will turn out white -- I made the mistake of baking them at a higher temperature for a shorter time, which gave them a beige color) Turn off the oven and let them continue drying and cooling while you prepare the lemon curd.

Lemon Curd Ingredients
    4 egg yolks
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    zest of 1 lemon
    1/4 pound (1 stick) butter

Directions

1. Whisk together sugar, egg yolks, and lemon juice in a double boiler. Heat over medium high heat, whisking constantly. The mixture will be liquidy, then frothy, and when it's about ready it'll look like pale yellow pudding.

2. Remove it from the heat and add your butter and zest, whisking until the butter melts. Cool the curd with an ice water bath or in the fridge.

Assembly

1. When the meringues are dry and the curd is cool and you're about read to serve them, pipe or spoon the lemon curd into the center of each well. They're best eaten the day they're made. Over time they'll get softer and chewier.
    I used to make cakes.

edited November 2016
    Also: Gingerbread Cookies
    Prep time: 80 minutes (including chilling the dough)
    Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup molasses
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground ginger
    2 teaspoons ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/4 cup vanilla pudding mix
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Cream butter and brown sugar together until well mixed. While that's happening (I assume you have a stand mixer), combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

2. Add egg, molasses, and vanilla to the sugar mixture and scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated. It'll either look like a curdled mess or a sticky mess, but as long as everything is well mixed, you can start adding the flour mixture.

3. Once you've formed a nice dough, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it for an hour or so. Roll the dough into balls just over an inch in diameter, roll the balls in granulated sugar, flatten each slightly between your palms, and then bake at 325 for 15 minutes.

These should be chewy rather than crispy, and are great with the cider I posted ages ago.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited November 2016
    Harvest Spice Bread

7 to 7 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup warm water

2 Tbsp active dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

1/2 cup plain boiled, mashed potatoes

1/2 cup potato water

1 cup whole milk

1/2 cup  quality lard or duck/goose fat (sub butter)

3/4 to 1 cup sugar

2/3 to 3/4 cup golden syrup (sub honey, date syrup for earthier taste)

2 eggs, room temp

1/2 to 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (or a mix, pecans, pistachio, macadamia, cashew etc.)

1/2 cup dried fruit of choice- optional (raisins, cranberries, currants, apple, fig etc.)

Spice Mix (You can adjust quantities to your liking)

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. mahlab/mahlepi powder

1 tsp. allspice

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1/8 tsp. ground cardamom

1/8 tsp. mace

1/8 tsp. white pepper

1/8 tsp. ground anise

Directions

In a 1 qt. bowl, mix together the warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp. of sugar. Set aside to activate.

Combine the mashed potatoes, potato water, milk, and duck fat in a saucepan and heat until the fat melts. Remove from burner and stir in 1 cup sugar and the golden syrup. Mix in 3 1/2 cup of the flour. When the mixture has cooled enough, stir in the proofed yeast. Put aside in a warm place until the sponge is light and bubbly (this will take 30 minutes to 1 hour).

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the sponge, salt, spices, nuts and fruit and 3 1/2 cups more flour. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, working in a little more flour, if needed, to make a smooth, soft dough.

Grease a large bowl and put the dough in, turning it over to grease the top. Cover with a clean towel and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk. Punch down the dough and let it rest 10 minutes. Divide the dough into buns or braid as you like. Cover with a tea towel and let rise again until doubled. Brush with melted butter or egg yolk mixed with 1 Tblsp water to glaze. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes on a well greased tray or pans if making buns. Turn out of pans to rack to cool.

Note: if you want to skip activating the yeast, you can try using SAF Gold yeast, which you can use straightaway into the sponge mix. I haven't tried this method though.

• edited December 2016
    Quick Pad Thai (15min or less)

Stuff you need:
    4-6 oz dry rice pad thai noodles

Base Sauce:
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp Red Boat fish sauce
    4 Tbsp palm sugar
    4 Tbsp tamarind paste
    1/2 Tbsp chili sauce

Everything else:
    Canola oil
    14 oz shrimp, pork or chicken breast strips, or ( tofu or seitan, cubed to bite size bits)
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 C red onion, shaved/grated or mandolined
    2 cloves garlic, sliced very thin

3/4 C mung bean sprouts
    3/4 C carrots, shredded
    1/2 C green onion, sliced into 1 in pieces
    1/4 C cilantro, stems removed
    2 tsp tamarind paste
    1 lime
    1 Tbsp sriracha
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1/4 C peanuts, crushed

What to do:

Cook rice noodles according to package instructions, usually soaked in hot water in med pot. Once cooked and drained toss with canola oil to keep separated.

As the noodles cook, put small pan on med low heat. Add base sauce ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.

Grab the largest pan you have, if you have a wok, use it! Set it on high heat, add peanuts and toast for 2-3 min, watch because they might burn quickly. Set aside in a clean bowl.

Pour 2 Tbsp oil to the big pan, make sure your ingredients are ready to go quickly.

Add your choice of shrimp, meat/non-meat. Sauté 30 sec, then add garlic, red onion. Sauté , stirring constantly for 1 min, add toasted nuts, add noodles and a little more oil if needed.

Push everything to one side of the pan/wok and add scrambled egg to cleared side. Let it cook quickly then mix it into the noodles and meat. Add sauce from the small pan and let everything mingle for 30 sec or until your meat etc is cooked through.

Add your carrots, green onion, sprouts and sauté for another minute.

Done!

Plate up, garnish with a squeeze of lime, cilantro, and any extra soy, tamarind or sriracha to taste.

Nom away.