Comments

• edited November 2014
    Cranberry Crunch Salad

Makes 10 Cups

Toss into food processor and pulse together:

1 pack fresh cranberries, about a 1/2 1lb

1 C walnut halves, toasted

1 C cashews, toasted

Don't over do it. Leave the mix slightly chunky. 

Transfer into a large bowl and add:

4 C mix of apples, red anjou pears, jicama diced

Some sliced red seedless grapes, to taste (optional)

1 C  pecans, pieces or chopped

1/2 - 1 C unsalted pistachios, pieces or chopped

1 1/2 - 2 C celery, thinly sliced

1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced

3 green onions/chives, sliced

2 Tblsp mixed herbs (oregano, marjoram, tarragon, thyme, basil, parsley, vietnamese mint, rosemary etc) finely chopped

Zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime

Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Sprinkle of cinnamon/ginger (optional)

1/2 C fresh orange juice

Dash red wine or welches grape juice or pomegranate juice (optional)

1/2 C good quality light maple syrup or birch syrup

1/2 C good quality olive oil

Toss well and let marinate for at least 2 hours in fridge, strain excess 'dressing' and save for something else.

Serve as is or with mixed greens of choice and garnish of pomegranate seeds/whole cranberries.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Dilly Dressing

Ingredients:

3/4 C good quality spanish olive oil

1 or 2 drops of sesame seed oil

2 Tblsp tamari

1/4 C lemon juice

1 C water

1 Tblsp fresh dill, or more to taste

1/2 C flat leaf parsley, chopped

1/2 C cilantro, chopped

1/2 C sunflower seeds, roasted, soaked then drained

1 C hemp seeds, shelled

1 tsp garlic, chopped

1 Tblsp jalapeno or preferred pepper, seeded and chopped

3/4 tsp kosher salt

1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

1/2 - 1 avocado, optional (adds creaminess, but browns)

Directions:
    Stick everything into a blender and blend until nice and creamy. Store in a jar in the fridge.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Here is something for paleo dieters. I am not one of them, but my coworker sent me this recipe and it blew my mind. It's expensive to make, since there's not really any getting around the price of nuts, but it's worth breaking the bank to make these at least once.

The Best Nut Bars You've Ever Tasted
    Difficulty: *
    Prep time: 40 minutes
    Cool time: Overnight

Ingredients

3 cups of your favorite nuts and seeds (I used pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. I would have used millet instead of sesame seeds because I love the crunch of those little pellets, but I couldn't find any.)
    1 cup dried cranberries (You can use raisins or any dried fruit, I'm sure. Like I said before, we always have a huge bag of Craisins at my house so I use those whenever I need dried fruit.)
    2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (You'll want the finely shredded stuff, not the kind that looks like grated mozzarella.)
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (I didn't know this was a thing until now, and while I'm positive you can substitute it with almond or even peanut butter, I wouldn't recommend it. Sunflower seed butter has such a unique flavor I can't imagine these bars being nearly as good without it.)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation

1. Toast all the nuts and seeds together at 350 F for 10-15 minutes, jostling the pan a little midway through. You can toast the coconut at the same time on its own tray, but watch it carefully and agitate it regularly so all of it toasts evenly. It's done when most of the flakes are golden, and it'll likely be ready before the nuts' time is up. Let the nuts cool to room temperature before moving on. 

2. Pulse the nuts and seeds in batches in a food processor. You want pieces of all different sizes, but nothing larger than a whole pistachio.

3. Stir together all the nuts and seeds, the toasted coconut, and the dried cranberries.

4. Heat the coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, honey, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it's smooth and bubbly. Add the vanilla extract and pour it over the nut mixture in a big bowl, then stir everything together until everything is coated in delicious honey-sunflower sauce.

5. Press the mixture into a parchment-lined 9x13-inch dish, and really pack it in. Pop the whole thing in the freezer overnight. In the morning, slide the big rectangle of nutty goodness onto a cutting board and slice it into whatever shapes you like. I cut mine into 1.5x5-inch bars, but bite-sized squares might be fun too. They lose a little structural integrity at warmer temperatures, so it's best to keep them refrigerated. Makes a great, surprisingly filling protein-packed breakfast.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Ok, revive time!

Here is a simple cake. So simple anyone can make it.

You take a box of white cake mix. Yes the pre-made you add eggs, water and oil too.

Follow the directions, except instead of water, use ORANGE soda. Yes, Orange soda. I suggest you hand mix it in a deep bowl.
    Bake as the instructions tell you to.

I love cream cheese frosting, so I suggest this, and enjoy!

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • This is debatably alchemical. Also, my evening experiments in amateur bartending are disappointing me.

Take a whipped cream dispenser. Add one can peaches (sans juice), two cinnamon sticks, two bags chai mix, and two inches of fresh ginger root chopped fine. Add to canister.

Fill the dispenser with Buffalo Trace bourbon until materials are covered. Seal canister, add nitrous cartridge, screwing in until cartridge hisses, indicating gas has been released. Shake for sixty seconds, then add second cartridge. 

Allow the canister to sit for a minute, then vent nitrous gas slowly with nozzle pointed towards ceiling. Congratulations, you have turned good bourbon into Fireball through the magic of cavitation.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited February 2015
    Why would anyone do that to good bourbon? :( What a waste :((

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I was trying to make peach chai infused bourbon. Added way too much cinnamon.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • Maybe I will share my banana wine recipe with you. Or my mulberry one.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.

• Avocado and spinach salad

For one portion

Ingredients:

1 diced avocado
    2 cups of washed and cut spinach
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1/4 cup of red vinegar
    1/2 cup of red beans

Put everything, except the olive oil and the red vinegar, in a bowl and stir.
    In another container, stir the olive oil and the red vinegar until they form a thicker, slightly homogeneous  sauce then spray it on the salad.
    Stir and serve.

Excellent as a light meal or as a side dish. I personally eat this with rice and fish. :)
  • Isluna said:

Maybe I will share my banana wine recipe with you. Or my mulberry one.

Please do!
  • Also looking for spent grain recipes. I have maybe ten pounds of flour?... I am still grinding.

• edited March 2015
    Arien's Full Moon Smoothie Bowl Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of steel cut, raw oats
    2 teaspoons of honey or raw honey
    1/2 cup of frozen raspberries
    1 whole banana fresh or frozen
    1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk

Toppings for your smoothie bowl:

A handful of poppy seeds
    A handful of walnuts or almonds
    Half an apple, granny smith or Honeycrisp sliced
    A handful of shell-less pistachios
    A handful of dried cranberries/cherries/blueberries
    A handful of pomegranate
    A bit of chopped dates or sultanas
    A handful or serving size of granola
    A handful of dark chocolate semi-sweet chips
    Raw honey drizzle
    A spoonful of lemon curd

Add ingredients into your blender, starting with the liquids first. Chop up your banana and blend it in. Or you can chop it up and mix it into your smoothie bowl for more texture. You can use as much or as little liquid as you like. You can also use water or non-fat yogurt instead of coconut milk but I find the coconut milk makes it creamier. You can drink it as is, or you can pour it into a bowl and eat it with any of the toppings above. This can basically work with -any- sort of fruit, it depends on what you want that day, or what you're craving for spice wise. I've done banana peach with cinnamon, blackberry and strawberry with mint. Just be creative here, put anything in as long as you know it benefits your body. I haven't tried this with chia, but I'm pretty sure it would be okay if you had the chia soak overnight.

If you have any leftover, you can put it in a freezer safe cup or ziplock and pull it out overnight when you need a quick breakfast to keep away your coffee or strange food cravings in the morning like I get a lot.

Enjoy!
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • edited March 2015
    Avatar Arien's Amazing Sweet & Spicy Tea

While I don't know if my @Lisaera is a tea fan (I hope you are), I hope some of you will try this out. I'm also posting for @Daraius who might want to translate this delicious recipe for the Golden Serenity Teahouse.

It's just a trip to Thailand in your mouth, it's good for your body, it's good for what's IN YOUR BODY. And I have been on such a kick lately for things that really benefit me and make me feel better after recovering from a horrible cold. If you want to see the benefits of tumeric and black pepper just click here and here.

Ingredients:

1 teabag of Peppermint Tea
    1 teabag of Chamomile Tea
    Unsweeted coconut milk/Soy milk to taste [optional]
    2 teaspoons of ginger
    1 *teaspoon of tumeric
    Several dashes of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of raw/processed honey to taste

Steep your teabags together, the longer the more pronounced the flavour. Pull the teabags out, and add your ginger, tumeric, pepper and honey - Give it a good stir! Add your coconut milk, or whatever you like - If you don't like the taste or the calories you can go without. It's just as good! Drink up for calming relaxing feels, then go take a bath or shower and have pleasant dreams. It cleans you out, it gets you focused. It's my go to drink now. And super cheap too!
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
    Wait is that really a tablespoon of turmeric in one cup of tea? @-)
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:

Wait is that really a tablespoon of turmeric in one cup of tea? @-)

Erk. Definitely not. Editing that. <.< It's a teaspoon. Or as I like to call it, several shakes.
    -
    -
    I write things
    edited March 2015
    I stole a peppermint tea bag from work just to try this AND I LOST IT ON THE WAY HOME SOMEHOW. Will report back once I find it. In the meantime, here's one of my inventions. It's a pancake that's not nutritionally barren.

Oatmeal Flax Pancake
    (yes, singular, because I can only make one perfect pancake at a time)
    Difficulty: *
    Prep time: 1 minute
    Cook time: 8 minutes

1/2 cup uncooked oats (not steel-cut)
    2 T flax seeds
    1 T sugar
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    3 oz milk/buttermilk
    1 T oil (neutral or nut, not olive)
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation

Heat a 9" nonstick pan over medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Combine all the dry ingredients in a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet Personal Versatile Countertop Magician, and process until everything is ground and combined. Add the wet ingredients and process again until you have a batter. Pour it into the heated pan and jiggle it to make sure it fills the bottom of the pan. Start heating another, larger pan over medium heat, also sprayed with cooking spray.

When bubbles begin to form in the batter, the edges are set, and the batter in the center isn't completely liquidy (about four minutes), run a spatula around the outer edge and shimmy the pan to loosen it up. Carefully invert the pancake into the second heated pan and continue cooking until it's done (about another four minutes).

Slide your big, hearty, high fiber pancake onto a plate and enjoy with something healthy like fruit compote and yogurt!
    I used to make cakes.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Most simple recipe ever, that turns oatmeal into something that I actually find enjoyable to eat, instead of a chore.

Ingredients
    Oatmeal (however much you like.  I do a serving, about half a cup.  I recommend steel cut oatmeal over the quick/old fashioned rolled oats.)
    Milk (enough to cover the oatmeal)
    A container with a lid to put in your fridge overnight

Procedure
    Put oatmeal in container
    Pour milk over oatmeal until it is covered, plus half an inch or so
    Put lid on container
    Put container in fridge overnight
    Pop lid from container, add things, devour

Possible Things
    Honey, various fruits, chia seed, flax seed, bacon, etc.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I don't know why oatmeal has such a bad rap. Was everyone's mother (or guardian) totally incapable of making oatmeal properly, or something? 

I made some really good savory oatmeal once, that had kimchee, siracha, and soy sauce. 
    My mom didn't make oatmeal. She bought the packets, and us kids made it ourselves. It was predictably horrible. I'm going to go digging for some savory oatmeal recipes now.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The real trick is to toast the oats before doing anything else to them. This is good for sweet oatmeal too, imo. Just slap a bit o butter into the saucepan first and throw down the oats for a few minutes, stirring to brown.
  • Cross-posting my St. Pat's recipes here:

St. Paddy's Feast: Guinness Lamb Stew, Leek, Spinach & Potato Boxty, Soda Bread, Stout & Bailey's Cream Cheese Brownies

Some alternative offerings beyond the traditional American-style corned beef & cabbage. ;)

Slainte!
    --------------------------------------------
    Stew: (Serves 10)
    4 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch cubes
    3 Tblsp kosher salt

1 Tblsp fresh ground black pepper

1/2 C all purpose flour
    3 Tblsp veg oil

2 1/2 C thinly sliced leeks, white and light green bits only (rinsed thoroughly of dirt and grit)

2 C sliced carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch coins

2 Tblsp minced garlic
    1/4 C tomato paste
    1/8 tsp anchovy paste
    3  12 oz bottles of Guinness extra stout (Can sub Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale)

6 - 8 C lamb, beef/veal or chicken stock, depending on how thick you want the stew to be in the end

1/4 C pearl barley
    1/2 - 1 C quinoa
    2 bay leaves

1/2 C chopped flat leaf parsley
    2 Tblsp fresh thyme leaves

1 lb new potatoes, peeled and quartered
    1 lb rutabegas, peeled and quartered (can sub turnips)
    10 oz bag frozen pearl onions

What to do:

Season lamb with 1 1/2 Tblsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp of the pepper. Dredge in the flour and dust off the excess.

Heat
    2 Tblsp oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven on high heat. Sear the
    lamb in batches on each side until nicely browned. Take out from pot
    with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add 1 Tblsp oil, carrots,
    leeks, 1/2 Tblsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Sautee the veggies for about 3
    min, scraping the bottom of the pot to get the good brown bits.

Stir
    in garlic, tomato and anchovy paste, and cook for 2 min. Then pour in
    the 6 C broth and 3 bottles stout to deglaze the pot, scraping again at
    the bottom.

Stir in the barley, 1 tsp pepper, 1 Tblsp salt, thyme, bay leaves. Add the seared lamb cubes.

Bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 1 hour.

When
    an hour has passed, add the potatoes, rutabegas, onions. Keep cooking,
    partially covered until the lamb is nice and tender for about 45 min.
    Add the quinoa during the remaining 20 min.

If the stew is too thick, add more broth.

Fish out the bay leaves, add the parsley and adjust the seasonings. Simmer 5 more min.

Serve with a grating of aged irish cheddar on top and Soda Bread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leek, Spinach & Potato Boxty:
    2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and quartered
    2 C finely sliced leeks, white and light green parts only (rinsed thoroughly of dirt & grit)
    1/4 chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
    1/4 tsp kosher salt + salt for boiling the potatoes
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tblsp unsalted butter, Kerrygold or Pulgra brand
    1 large chicken or duck egg
    1/4 C all purpose flour
    4 Tblsp rendered goose fat or duck fat/schmalz (sub vegetable oil if you're counting calories)

Wasabi/Horseradish Chive Sauce for Boxty:
    1 C sour cream
    1/4 C + 2 tsp chopped chives
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp wasabi powder
    1/4 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

What to Do:

Put the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring this to a boil and cook until potatoes are cooked through.

While the potatoes are boiling, make the sauce. Whisk together all the ingredients and put in the fridge until ready to serve.

When the potatoes are ready, drain them and put them through a food mill or mash them with forks until they're smooth.

Heat
    the 2 Tblsp butter in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat, add
    leeks 1/4 tsp salt, black pepper to taste and saute until soft for about
    5-8 min.

Add the cooked leeks, squeezed spinach and egg to the mashed potatoes and stir everything until well mixed.

Make
    8 equal sized cakes/patties from the mash, about 1 1/2 in round and 1/2
    in thick and lightly coat each one in flour. If the potatoes seem too
    soft to form into cakes, add a little more flour to stiffen things up.

Heat
    2 Tblsp of the goose fat in the nonstick pan over med heat, then once
    it's hot add 4 of the boxty cakes. Brown them on both sides. (You might
    need to lower the heat once you flip the boxty to make sure they cook
    all the way through.) Once you're done with the first batch, transfer
    them to a wire rack over a baking sheet to keep warm in a preheated oven
    while you finish making the remaining 4.

Serve with sauce on the side.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Soda Bread: (Makes 1 loaf)
    2 3/4 C all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 Tblsp dark brown sugar
    1 tsp kosher salt
    2 Tblsp unsalted butter, Kerrygold or Pulgra brand, cold, cut into small pieces
    1 1/4 C buttermilk or 1 1/4 C plain Goat's milk kefir (I prefer the goat's milk, since that's what I usually have on hand)
    1 large egg, beaten with a tsp water for eggwash

What to Do:

Preheat your oven to 375F

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and sugar. Mix well.

Add
    the butter and work into the flour with your fingertips and hands,
    working towards little peas of butter mixed throughought the flour.

Pour in the milk and mix until just incorporated. Dough should be soft and sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a floured work area and gently work the dough into a 6 inch or so round. Don't overwork it.

Place the dough round onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the surface of it with the egg wash.

Take an oiled knife and slash/slit the top with an 'X' or initials or other simple design if you like.

Bake for 30-35min or until golden brown.

Serve with lamb stew or sliced thickly and toasted with butter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brownies:

Cream Cheese Layer:
    2 - 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
    2/3 C sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp Bailey's Irish Cream
    1 1/2 C mini semi sweet chocolate chips
    Espresso Powder for dusting

Main Layer:

4 eggs, room temperature

3/4 C sugar

8 oz bittersweet chocolate, Guittard brand chips or discs

4 oz white chocolate, Guittard brand chips or discs

6 Tblsp unsalted butter Kerrygold or Pulgra, cut into pieces
    3/4 C flour

3/4 C cocoa powder

1 1/4 C Guinness stout

What to Do:

Preheat the oven to 350F

Beat the cream cheese in a mixer until smooth.

Add the 2/3 C sugar, 2 eggs, vanilla, Bailey's and mix until combined. Fold in mini chocolate chips. Set aside.

For the main layer, beat the 4 eggs, and sugar in a clean bowl in the mixer until everything's light and fluffy.

Melt
    the bittersweet and white chocolates together with the butter over a
    double boiler (or slowly and carefully in the microwave), stirring
    periodically until melted and smooth.

Take the chocolate off the
    heat and cool sightly. Slowly incorporate in small amounts into the egg
    mixture. (You don't want scrambled eggs!)

Sift together the 3/4 C flour and 3/4 cocoa into the chocolate mixture.

Whisk in the Guinness.

Grease
    a baking dish with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, making a
    slit in each corner so the parchment lays flat. Butter the parchment
    paper. (This makes it easier to get the brownies out of the pan.)

Fill
    the baking dish evenly with 1/2 of the brownie batter. Top this with
    the cream cheese layer. Then add remaining brownie batter.

Drag a
    small knife through the pan to make a swirly design through the cream
    cheese and brownie layers. Don't overdo it or it will look muddied.

Bake
    the brownies for 40-50 min. Test the brownies with a toothpick in the
    center of the pan. Normally you want it to look clean, but in this case,
    a small amount of batter should stick to the toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are over cooked. They're meant to be a tiny bit fudgy.

Cool the pan on a rack. Then place in the freezer for 1 hour. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper.
    Freezing the brownies makes them easier to cut.

Serve with a dusting of espresso powder/cocoa and a nip of Irish coffee.

• Also, I have updated the first post of the thread to include the link to the old forums recipes :)

• Daraius said:

I stole a peppermint tea bag from work just to try this AND I LOST IT ON THE WAY HOME SOMEHOW. Will report back once I find it. In the meantime, here's one of my inventions. It's a pancake that's not nutritionally barren.

@Daraius I AM WAITING MOTHERPUPPER. ^.^

Now, that aside, a quick recipe for a delicious lunch item.

Also known as Arien's Absolutely Amazing Avocado Concoction.

Ingredients:

2 pieces of rye bread (Brown or tan, both are good too)
    Sea Salt
    One avocado
    Cherry or Heirloom Tomatoes (Any kind of tomato)
    Goat cheese or feta cheese

Optional:
    Roast Chicken bits, or Chicken Deli Meat
    EVOO (Extra virgin yadda-yadda)

Directions:

Halve, and slice your avocado flesh, extract from avocado skin. Add your salt and flesh into a bowl. Mash with sharp implement for chunky deliciousness. Toast your rye bread, pan fry your chicken and season with anything (greek/curry/whatever).  Take your two toasted rye, split avocado mixture and put on each like mountains of green butter. Then add your tomatoes that you have cut in half or quarters, then layer with chicken, then add your cheese.

Stuff your mouth, make yum yum sounds and enjoy.

-
    -
    I write things
    I was with you until rye. May have to put on sourdough.
    edited March 2015
    Daraius said:

Will report back once I find it. 

Whaddya know, I found it.

I think you either have really big tea cups or really tiny measuring spoons because I used 1/4 tsp of turmeric and 1/2 tsp of ginger in my cup and.. Well I didn't find it very pleasant to drink. Sorry. X_X
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:

Daraius said:

Will report back once I find it. 

Whaddya know, I found it.

I think you either have really big tea cups or really tiny measuring spoons because I used 1/4 tsp of turmeric and 1/2 tsp of ginger in my cup and.. Well I didn't find it very pleasant to drink. Sorry. X_X
    I'm pretty sure you're right. No worries, it's all a matter of taste.  :) I'm not really into lots of sugary things and I found it pretty sweet. Thank you for trying it though. Being adventurous can be good for Hallifaxian experimentation.
    -
    -
    I write things
  • Grandma's Rouladen

1 pile of the cheapest steak you can find
    1 - 2 large onions  -or- onion powder
    1 bottle of mustard -or- mustard powder
    1 pile of uncooked bacon
    1 bag flour

Additional Supplies
    1 spool of butcher's twine -or- 1 pack toothpicks
    Deep baking dish -or- Crockpot

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

For the steak you have two options, you can either get a meat mallet and pound it thin -or- you can have it cut thin at the butcher to start with (just never tell grandma you didn't beat it into submission).

Slice up your onions and separate the rings. If you have picky eaters (not counting people with allergies) who wrinkle their noses and whine eww at the idea of eating baked onion and you aren't the type to give -the look- and tell them to be grateful for what is put in front of them, you can substitute onion powder.

Lay out your steak and smear a thin layer of mustard over one side.
      -If you are using mustard powder and onion powder, mix in a little water to make a paste and smear the paste on the steak.

Lay strips of bacon over the steak until the meat is covered - usually 3 strips will do, no overlapping.

Put down a few onion rings, usually 3-4 will do. Alternately, if you are using powder and haven't already applied with the mustard, you can sprinkle that on now.

Roll up the steak and tie it with butcher twine or pierce with a few strategically placed toothpicks.

Put the steakroll into your bakeware of choice and repeat the steps until you've run out of steak.

Place baking dish in oven and cook for approximately 45 minutes, or if using a crockpot turn it on and go to work.
    When meat is fully cooked, remove all of the rolls from the bakeware and add a tablespoon or so of flour to the drippings.
    Whisk thoroughly and continue adding small portions of flour, working each in fully until you have gravy.
    Put meat rolls back into the bakeware, and turn oven or crockpot to warm.
    --

In my family, this is served with a side of mashed potatoes (made from scratch) and my grandmother's stuffed cabbage. If you're rolling with the mashed potatoes, these can be made while the meat is initially cooking. If you're going to cheat with them and use instant, you can whip that up while the meat stews in the gravy.

Fair warning, this is a very rich meal and I take no responsibility for death through sudden heart attack or too much num.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Quick and Dirty Chicken and Mushroom

Ingredients:
    1 chicken breast / 2 people
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I use one low sodium, one normal of the Campbell's) 
    1 cup rice
    2 cups water
    seasoning for chicken (any commercial seasoning works, I use a steak rub)
    Chili powder or cumin
    sea salt
    black pepper

You Will Also Need:
    1 med or large pan
    (1 casserole dish or meat loaf dish)
    1 med or large pot

This recipe goes one of two ways, and leave a lot of room for tinkering to taste or style.

The quickest method is to use a large pan to cook the chicken using your favourite cooking oil. Season it as you cook, I like to use a little bit of garlic powder and cook in oil, water, or butter depending on my mood. Once the chicken is cooked through, turn the heat down, drain off most of the oil, making sure to leave a thin layer at the bottom. Add in both cans of condensed soup with only one can of water, stir it all together, then bring it slowly back up to just before a boil. Drop it back down and let it simmer and thicken, adding in your seasoning to taste.

The method I prefer is to use a small pan to sear the chicken in a bit of oil or butter, with the seasoning on the meat itself. In the casserole dish, add the soup and water and mix them together with the salt and pepper, while everything else goes on the chicken. Once the chicken is seared on all sides and has started cooking, transfer it from the pan to the baking dish, place in the oven at at least 375 and cook for about an hour. This depends on how long you let it cook in the pan, but the idea is to let it cook in the oven rather than the stovetop. I use 400 for 45 minutes, but it might be safer to use a lower temperature for longer.

With either method, in a seperate pot prepare the rice, but leave it mostly unseasoned. Once the chicken and mushroom is ready, it is served over the rice to allow the rice to take on the flavour of the sauce. I like to serve steamed green beans with this dish, but any green vegetable is fine, or no side dish at all. As with any dish, season to taste once it reaches the table.
    edited March 2015
    Enyalida said:

The real trick is to toast the oats before doing anything else to them. This is good for sweet oatmeal too, imo. Just slap a bit o butter into the saucepan first and throw down the oats for a few minutes, stirring to brown.

You know, I'm already fan of oatmeal, but this tip changed my world. Thank you.  :x
    I used to make cakes.