The Great Lusternian Cookbook

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Chopped Liver & Herby Eggs

These two recipes come passed down to me from my aunt in Germany.

Chopped Liver (Serves Six)

Stuff you need:

1 lb calf liver or chicken liver
    3 eggs
    1 big yellow onion
    2 purple shallots
    3/4 C vegetable oil
    1-2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

What to do:

Fry up the liver in a generous amount of oil for 15 min on med heat or until cooked through, but not dry. (Firm and brown outside, slightly pink insides) Remove the liver, but don't drain the oil from the pan and set liver aside to cool. Grind the liver in a meat grinder into a bowl. Follow it with one of the shallots to make sure the grinder is clear of meat. Finely mince the second shallot and add it to the liver mix.

Mince the big onion finely and fry it in the same pan and oil as you cooked the liver in for 40 minutes (yup 40), on low heat until golden brown.

Put the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook the eggs for 10 minutes, then remove to an ice water bath to cool. Peel and chop the eggs finely.

Add 3/4 of the chopped eggs to the liver and shallot mix, gradually stirring in the fried onions until fully incorporated. Mix in spoonfuls of oil from the frying pan bit by bit, until you get a creamy texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with remaining 1/4 of chopped eggs. Chill in fridge. Serve cold as an appetizer with bread or chips.

Herby Eggs

Stuff you need:

6 hard boiled eggs
    1 raw egg
    1 Tblsp unsalted butter
    1 Tblsp goose fat
    4 leaves of curly mint, chopped very fine
    6 sage leaves, central vein removed, chopped very fine
    Salt, black pepper to taste
    pinch of crushed/powdered porcini mushrooms
    tiny pinch of powdered ginger

Sauce:
    1/2 tsp crushed saffron steeped in 1/2 Tbsp hot water
    2-3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 1/2 Tbsp good quality honey
    2 raw eggs

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350F

Peel the hardboiled eggs and slice them in half lengthwise. Carefully spoon out the yolks into a separate bowl. Mash the yolks and mix well with the chopped herbs, salt, pepper, porcini and ginger. Stuff the hollow egg whites with this stuffing.

Whisk all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

Melt the butter and goosefat together in a pan. Place the eggs stuffed sides down into the pan and fry for 2 min. Gently flip over to stuffed side up and fry for a couple more minutes.

Transfer eggs to an oven safe dish (you can save the butter/goosefat for frying up potatoes later), spoon sauce mixture over everything and bake for 10-15 min until set.

Serve warm.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • edited December 2016
    @Orventa does pig's liver work? if I can't get calves liver? Is this a side dish or a main dish? Can you eat this with rice? What can you do if you don't have a grinder ? just a knife and a chopping board? Would a motar and pestle work?
  • edited December 2016
    @Ordassa Any liver can work, but if you can get chicken livers that would be the best substitute. Pork liver has a stronger flavor, but if you have it go for it. You could totally eat it with rice, on toast, in a sandwich. It's like a cold spread basically. If you don't have a grinder, do you have a blender or food processor? A mini food processor can be got from some pharmacies like CVS sometimes. Mortar and pestle would be a lot of work and not the right consistency I think.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
  • i have a 2 speed hand blender. nothing else. @Orventa
  • edited December 2016
    That might work if you minced the cooked liver first! @Ordassa

• @Orventa this is a good budget recipe! by cook onions on low heat, do you mean caramelize? start with a cold pan?
  • edited December 2016
    The pan should still be warm from frying the liver first. @Ordassa

• @Orventa ok! :) thank you
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2017
    My coworker casually mentioned that the only things he liked about his college meal plan offerings were the Rice Krispy treats made with Froot Loops. It occurred to me then that you can use ANY cereal instead of Rice Krispies.  :o

Enter S'mores Bars (which I realize is not an original idea, but just hush up and make the recipe)

6 cups of Golden Grahams cereal, crunched by hand or smashed in a bag, but not obliterated by, for instance, a food processor
    1 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup dark chocolate chips, frozen

1. Microwave butter for 45 seconds, add marshmallows and stir (preferably with a silicone spatula) to coat. 

2. Microwave buttery marshmallows for 90 seconds, add cereal and chocolate chips and stir until well mixed. Maybe the chocolate chips will melt, maybe they won't. It's good either way.

3. Press into a 7 x 11" dish and allow to cool to room temperature if you have the willpower to wait.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited February 2017
    Stromboli!

Makes 14-16 slices, 2 strombolis. This is good for big parties and such.

Commodities:
    1 lb ground pork
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1 Tblsp Italian seasoning
    3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    3/4 tsp red chile pepper flakes (more to taste)
    2 Tblsp Italian parsley, chopped
    1 Tblsp fresh basil, chiffonade*
    8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
    1 large roasted red pepper, sliced into thin strips (approx. 1/2 C) canned or jarred is fine, be sure to drain well
    1 large sweet onion diced (approx 1 1/2 C)
    1 Tblsp fresh garlic, minced
    Minced salami or pepperoni sticks, to taste
    4 Tblsp olive oil
    1 C pizza sauce
    1 C mozzarella, shredded
    1/4 C parmesan, grated
    2 Tblsp yellow cornmeal
    Flour for dusting and rolling
    1 1/2 loaves pizza dough, thawed if frozen (I use the kind from Whole Foodz)

* Lay your basil leaves in a stack and roll them up length- wise into a cigarette shape. Cut into thin slices. This is what is referred to as a chiffonade of basil. It’s done to keep the basil from turning black around the cut edges and also makes for a nice presentation.

What Do:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place an ungreased cookie sheet on the middle rack. If your cookie sheet has a rim, place the sheet upside down on the rack. That way you can slide the stromboli onto the sheet easily.

In a large sauté pan over high heat, add 1 Tblsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir in the minced garlic and cook an additional minute.

Crumble the ground pork and beef into the pan. Add the Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook until the meat is browned and cooked through, approximately 7 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. You need this mixture to be as dry as possible. Extra moisture will make the crust soggy!

Mix in pepperoni bits, parsley, basil and sliced red pepper. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Place the same sauté pan back over high heat and add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Once pan is hot, add the sliced mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushroom are browned and all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough to an 11” X 24” rectangle.

Cut dough in half width-wise and spread each half with the prepared pizza sauce. Add a layer of the meat mixture to both pieces of dough, making sure to take the filling out to the sides and bottom. Leave a 1 “ border at the top of the dough to help make a better seal.
    Next, add a layer of mushrooms and then a layer of mozzarella.

Starting at the bottom, roll up the dough into a tight cylinder shape. Fold the sides under and place on a sheet of baking parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Make sure that the long seam of the roll is on the bottom. Cut 4 – 5 slits into the top of the roll to allow steam to escape. Brush each roll with the remaining olive oil or melted butter and sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese.

Slide the stromboli with the parchment paper onto preheated cookie sheet.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Serve hot or at room temperature with tomato dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce:

2 Tblsp olive oil
    1 C  sweet onion, chopped
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 C red wine
    1 – 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes
    1 – 10 oz can diced tomatoes with chopped chilies (Hatch green chile brand is my favorite)
    1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste with roasted garlic
    1/4 C fresh basil, chiffonade

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onions, salt, pepper and cook for 5 min or until onions have started to brown around the edges.

Add the red wine and cook until the wine has reduced by 1/2.

In a bowl, rough chop the whole tomatoes.

Once the red wine has reduced, add the plum tomatoes with their juices, the diced tomatoes with chilies and the tomato paste. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the fresh basil and cook an additional 5 min. Taste and adjust the seasonings with additional salt and pepper as needed.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2017
    Cilantro Marinara Sauce (for pizzas, pastas, or dipping)

1 6oz can of tomato paste
    1 15oz can of diced tomatoes (fire roasted if you like)
    1 8oz can of tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2 teaspoons of minced garlic
    1 Tablespoon of sriracha or chili paste
    1 Tablespoon of oil (neutral flavor or sesame)
    2 Tablespoons of orange or cranberry juice (optional, but substitute water if you choose not to use juice)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, stems and all (more if you really love cilantro like I do)

1. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree everything, then heat over medium. This makes a pretty thick sauce, so feel free to add water to thin it to your preferences. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited March 2017
    Mango Coconut Crème Brulee

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 C coconut milk, chakoh brand
    1/2 C coconut syrup, the kind you can pour on waffles and pancakes
    2 C cream
    6 egg yolks
    1/4 C sugar
    1 Tblsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 C toasted coconut flakes
    1/4 C caramel sauce/dulce de leche
    Cane sugar
    Rice crispies
    Large ripe mango, halves diced small

Directions:

In a 2 qt sauce pan bring the cream, coconut milk, coconut syrup and vanilla up to a simmer. Remove from the heat and drizzle the cream mixture into the egg yolks slowly as you whisk them, this prevents the yolks from cooking. Place 1 Tblsp coconut flakes in the bottom of each brulee dish with a small amount of mango, and pour equal amounts of the cream mixture into each dish. Place the dishes in a pan that you can pour 1/2” of water into.

Place the brulee in a 275F oven for 20-25 minutes until the brulee are set and jiggle when you move the pan, if they seem to be watery allow 5 more minutes and check again. Allow to cool before serving. Dust the tops of the brulee evenly with cane sugar. Using a blow torch or the broil setting on your stove, allow the sugar to caramelize slowly to form the crust on top.

Drizzle each dish with caramel sauce and garnish with toasted coconut and rice crispies.

• edited March 2017
    Cheese fried rice (aka use up leftovers: cooked or raw)

for one. (20mins + prep+ clean up)

heavy duty pan/wok for extra high heat.
    frying ladle.
    chopping board
    knife

cooking oil
    garlic (half head per person - rough mince)
    yellow onion (to taste. julienned)
    cheese (block cheddar, mild/bitey .5 cm slice  -diced)
    shoyuu/soya sauce (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon. >5ML)
    oyster sauce (1/2 teaspoon. optional.)
    1/2 us cup cooked over night rice. (left over take out rice also ok.)

optional
    meat (sausages, mince, hamburger - any protein. leftover cooked meat also ok)
    vege (any - hard veg - better. leftover also ok)

heat wok/pan (med heat)
    prep garlic
    heat oil (med low)
    prep onion

add garlic to wok, stir fry 30secs
    add onion to wok - saute until just turns translucent. leave in wok.

=============================================================
    [optional. if using raw protein+veg                                                                              ]
    [add protein, stir fry until 50% cooked. repeat for hard veg until color changes.                            ]

flavor rice with  shoyuu + oyster sauce. mix well.
    add to wok. stir well. coat rice with oil.
    turn down heat to low.
    leave wok. stir occasionally to prevent sticking and burning. - you want to dry it out and make it crispy.
    clean up  + wash up . watch wok/pan .stir fry rice  to prevent burning. but mostly leave alone until crispy enough to your taste. scrape pan/wok for crispy bits!
    finish clean up.

[optional. if using leftover cooked protein+veg from past meals                                     ]
    [add cooked protein, then veg. stir fry and mix with rice,  till veg + protein are warmed through. ]

make well in rice. add cheese- make sure there is no contact with the wok/pan.
    wait till melty.
    stir fry until cheese is mixed well with rice and crispy.
    serve and eat!

adjust recipe to taste - i freestyled everything. your mileage may vary. do not add -any- extra liquid.

• edited March 2017
    Pineapple Macaroons

Makes 24

Ingredients:

3C sweet, shredded coconut
    1/2 C dried pineapple, chopped fine
    2/3 C sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 Tblsp flour
    Pinch kosher salt
    1 large egg, room temp
    4 oz semi-sweet or white chocolate, chopped

What Do:

1. Combine coconut, flour, pineapple and salt in  a mixing bowl.

2. In another bowl, whisk egg, condensed milk and vanilla extract together.

3. Add the liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until incorporated.

4. Using a tablespoon, or mini ice cream scoop, spoon batter onto a greased cookie sheet. You can use baking parchment or silpat too. They look nicer if they're as orblike as you can manage. Leave at least 1 inch between macaroons in all directions.

5. Bake the macaroons in a 350F oven until golden brown but moist inside.

6. Put macaroons on a rack to cool.

7. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over simmering water.( Don't let the bottom of the bowl touch the water) Neatly dip the bottoms of the cooled macaroons into the chocolate and place on baking parchment. Drizzle more chocolate over the tops using a fork or small spoon. When the chocolate has fully hardened they're done!

To store: Put in airtight plastic container.

• edited March 2017
    (stupid easy) dinner for 1 in 30 mins (5-10 mins cooking time) aka basic asian food.

basic spinach stir fry

spinach  -washed- 200g
    garlic
    cooking oil (vegetable) 2-3 tablespoons
    dried shrimp  1 teaspoon
    salt & white pepper

soak dried shrimp .save water
    chop garlic
    heat oil in wok /skillet on high
    add garlic, stir fry 30 secs on med heat
    add shrimp. save water.
    stir fry shrimp 1-2 mins on med heat.
    add  spinach
    coat well with oil.
    stir fry 2-3 mins
    add shrimp water
    simmer to desired softness
    salt to taste

meat omelette

1 egg
    50g mince/ground pork
    cornflower 1 teaspoon
    soya sauce 1 teaspoon - to taste
    cooking oil

add cornflower and soya sauce to mince. mix well and leave to marinate 3-5ish mins
    beat egg well until color changes. no froth neede.
    add to mince. mix well.
    fry on med high heat in skillet until golden brown and crisp around edges
    serve with  a dash of soya sauce

eat with both with rice
    (yum!)

• edited April 2017

Happy St. Stupid's Day!

• I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
  • edited May 2017
    Bulgogi Sub (Kind of like a cheesesteak) Serves 4

Courtesy of recipe swap with campus cafe friends and adapted for the home cook.

Ingredients: 
    1 1/2 lb rib-eye steak, sliced thin like for a cheesesteak, deli style
    1/2 C Ginger-Soy Marinade (recipe below)
    1 large, beefy tomato, sliced
    Lettuce leaves
    1 C Coca-cola
    Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
    2-4 slices gouda cheese, quartered
    2 Tblsp butter, melted
    4 large soft french bread/baguette style hoagie rolls
    1 Tblsp olive oil
    1 red onion, julienned
    2 Tblsp soy sauce
    2 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
    1/4 C kewpie style/sweet mayonnaise
    2 tsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp minced garlic
    2 Tblsp sesame oil
    2 Tblsp kimchi
    Cilantro, optional

Marinade:
    1/2 yellow onion, quartered
    1 Tblsp minced fresh ginger
    1 Tblsp minced fresh garlic
    1/2 C soy sauce
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1/4 C mirin
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 C Coca-cola
    1/4 C sesame oil

What do:

In a food processor, mince the yellow onion. Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, and spices, and blend well. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the cola, then whisk in the sesame oil to emulsify the marinade. 

In a medium mixing bowl combine the rib-eye steak, marinade and cola. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 min- 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make the onions: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and warm for 1 minute.  Add the red onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the onions caramelize. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Now, make the sauce/spread: In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, kimchi, rice vinegar, and garlic. Pulse and then drizzle in the sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Cook the marinated steak on the grill or grill pan, turning constantly with a spatula, for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned nicely but still soft. Transfer to a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Brush the rolls with butter and toast cut side down until golden.

Lightly add the sauce in a thin layer, or to taste, on the bottom half of the roll, add lettuce, add hot meat, tomato slices, add slices of cheese and some of the caramelized onions, drizzle more sauce or garnish with cilantro if desired. Repeat with three other sandwiches.

Enjoy!

• Aquarium Cookies

• Hawaiian Chutney

Stuffs:
    1 can whole pineapple rings-drained, or if you're super lucky to get it, 1 pineapple core, fresh
    1/2 tsp lemon zest
    1/tsp orange zest
    1 large jalapeño, de-seeded and diced
    2 C sweet onion, diced
    1 C gold raisins/sultanas
    1 Tblsp chopped mint
    1 Tblsp chopped Thai basil/holy basil ( can sub with another Tblsp of mint)
    3/4 C diced green bell pepper, or a mix of other colors if you want more variety
    1 Tblsp lemon juice
    1Tblsp passionfruit/lilikoi juice, more to taste (optional)
    2 Tblsp honey, more if needed
    1 C light brown sugar, packed
    3/4 C cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt

What Do:

Heat grill, or grill pan.

Slice core if you have one into 1/2" rings, otherwise take canned rings and baste both sides in honey. Grill both sides of each ring for 2 min per side. Remove and let rest in a dish for 5 min, juice will sweat out, this is ok.

Chop rings into 1" chunks and dump these along with any juices into a medium-large sauce pan with remaining ingredients. Bring all this to a boil and let simmer for about 1 hour, or until chutney thickens. Taste, adjust spices. Pour into prepared jar(s) or container and let cool.

Great on a toasted everything bagel with cream cheese, prosciutto/bacon and a sprinkling of nori/furikake, with kalua pig plate lunch.

• Orventa said:
    Hawaiian Chutney

Great on a toasted everything bagel with cream cheese, prosciutto/bacon and a sprinkling of nori/furikake, with kalua pig plate lunch.

Or as a dip for the crust of a Hawaiian pizza. Sounds lovely
  • edited May 2017

Baking Simple Gingerbread - 18th Century Cooking

• edited May 2017

English Muffins

Makes 12 

1 cup whole milk

2 1/2 Tblsp butter, diced

4 tsp dried yeast

2 tsp sugar 

1 egg 

3 1/3 to 4 C plain (all-purpose) flour

Approximately 3 1/3 - 4 C white cornmeal for dusting

About 3 Tblsp canola oil (or good quality lard, optional)

Preheat the oven to 320 F

What Do:

Combine the milk and butter in a small saucepan. Warm over medium Heat until the butter has melted, then pull the pan off the heat and cool the mixture to room temperature.

Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer, then add the yeast and sugar and mix until dissolved. Leave to rest for 10 minutes, to allow the yeast to activate; it should become frothy. Add the egg and flour, then beat until smooth and homogenous. 

Turn the dough out onto a work surface dusted with the cornmeal. Knead the dough by hand for 2 minutes, dusting with extra cornmeal if it gets too sticky. 

Roll the dough out to a thickness of 3/4 in, then cut out 12 rounds, using a 2 1/4 in round cutter. Place the rounds on a baking tray dusted with cornmeal.

Heat the canola oil (or lard) in a cast-iron frying pan over medium–low heat. Working four at a time, pan-fry the dough rounds for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown delicious on both sides, returning each batch to the baking tray. 

When all the rounds have been pan-fried, pop the tray in the oven and bake the muffins for 10–12 minutes, or until they crack slightly around the circumference. 

(The baking off is just to ‘finish’ the muffins, as they have already been cooked during pan-frying.) 

The muffins are best enjoyed the same day, but can be doused in butter and toasted in the oven again a couple of days later, if there are any left by then.

• Sourdough!

For any fellow sourdough lovers out there, thought I'd share this culture resource with you. Sourdoughs International.

Also, for homebrewers: EastCoast Yeast

• edited July 2017
    Cameo Pastilles from Regency Era Germany. These are handpainted!

Recipe here, in German, but maybe we can see if one of our fellow players might be able to translate for us ^^;

More here: http://kleidungum1800.blogspot.com/2014/09/romische-bonbonnieren-und.html

• shredded carrot 70-80g
    tofu 100-120g
    seaweed 3-5g
    kale 10g
    toasted ground sesame seeds 1 tbsp
    breadcrumbs 3tbsp
    salt 1/5 tsp
    soy sauce 1/2 tsp
    white pepper 1/2 tsp

Mix ingredients together, shape into balls & deep fry in oil at 160-170 Celsius
  • Pita Bread

What you need:
    4 C plain flour
    1 Tblsp sugar
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp dry active yeast
    1 Tblsp safflower oil or olive oil
    1 1/4 C lukewarm water

What to do:

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a small bowl, combine the yeast with the warm water and proof, until it gets foamy.

In a larger mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt and sugar. Pour in yeast mixture, olive oil and mix well until you get a dough.

Plop the dough onto a clean surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Put the dough in a larger bowl and cover with a clean tea cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour 30 min.

Turn out the dough and punch down, separate into 8 equal portioned balls.

Roll out each ball to a thickness of 6mm, and let rest for 10 min.

On a large baking parchment lined baking tray, place the dough rounds, evenly spaced and set into the oven for 3-5 min. until they puff up nicely and are browned at the edges.

Serve hot and puffed, or let cool, gently flatten and stack them on each other in a freezer bag to freeze for another day.

• Sad to say, but I just discovered that with the new site migration, the old 'old forums', version of the first lusternian cookbook (recipes/memories) has been lost. A bit of google fu has this sole page for posterity. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.lusternia.com/node/29494?page=1

I knew I should have archived those pages to wayback. Sorry guys :(

• I'll be posting what recipes I can salvage from the google cache in the next few posts. Sorry if any of you get multiple notifications!