Help Test the Newbie Tour; Receive 10 Bound Credits!

Comments

• Acrune said:
    My biggest suggestion is to force the order of what the newbies do, for example, the "Start the quest" thing doesn't make sense if you didn't ask about teleporting first.

Also, I can't figure out how to get past the "Can I magically teleport around the land?" question. I keep asking and doing what it says, but it doesn't go away as a choice.
    Its the repeatable much like the history and help options. Perhaps it should be a one time thing or somehow marked as a non-requirement.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I think they only work from inside Newton.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Figured out the teleport thing, it was horribly unclear that I had to do a quest. Had I not wanted the 10 bound credits I'd have quit.

Typo 15 vs 20

You say, "How do I increase my knowledge of skills?"

Atropos of the Shears says, "Your nexus keeper is able to teach you many things. I suggest learning up to rift in the planar skillset."

[HINT]: Teleport to your nexus using the teleport skill TELEPORT NEXUS. There, you will find Meleris. To use lessons, start by LEARN 15 PLANAR FROM MELERIS. This will put 20 lessons into your Planar skillset.

• Okay, so I have done most of the intro now. I would like to see some of the options go away after you have done them, Atropos still has the options "I would like to know more about the history of Lusternia" and "How do I get more help?" even after both of those options have been activated multiple times. I had some issue with the Shadow quest, and ended up having to kill the shadow twice, the first time I killed it, I received the backpack, the second time, was when I accessed the help system, a shadow appeared in the room with me and I had to kill it. Another issue I am having is finishing the intro, right now I am stuck on the Old Homestead quest, I have found what appears to be the only room the quest references and still it wont let me search the area, now I am not sure if this is because I have already learned search in discernment or if this is because of a flaw in the game.
  • This introduction is far to slow, drug on for way too long and most of the time was too vague, and more often than not was not at all helpful and I find most of it to really just get in the way. Out of all the introductions Lusternia has tried, this one is my least favorite, had this been the intro when I started I probably would have quit. I am still rather partial to the original intro Lusternia had, it is now and will probably always be my favorite, it was not to slow, you learned the basics of the game and you didn't get bogged down with unnecessary information or information overload.
  • Porthos said:
    Okay, so I have done most of the intro now. I would like to see some of the options go away after you have done them, Atropos still has the options "I would like to know more about the history of Lusternia" and "How do I get more help?" even after both of those options have been activated multiple times. I had some issue with the Shadow quest, and ended up having to kill the shadow twice, the first time I killed it, I received the backpack, the second time, was when I accessed the help system, a shadow appeared in the room with me and I had to kill it. Another issue I am having is finishing the intro, right now I am stuck on the Old Homestead quest, I have found what appears to be the only room the quest references and still it wont let me search the area, now I am not sure if this is because I have already learned search in discernment or if this is because of a flaw in the game.
    I absolutely agree about the room for Old Homestead. When it referenced using LANDMARKS and PATH WALK I was kind of expecting to use LANDMARKS and find it listed. It wasn't, instead I had to use my previous knowledge (yes meta gaming omg shocking) to go to Ackleberry Highway. Again using that OOC knowledge, I knew which room was new. Earlier I posted the room number for those can walk to vnum rooms.
  • Also for those that completed it and wondering. I made the simple stupid mistake of swapping to main character and trying to use the TOURGIFT command. Turns out, have to be on the character that did the tour and input main character. Thus in example: TOURGIFT Shaddus  ((No relation, I am not a Shaddus alt....or am I?))

GOOD JOB Admins for installing that failsafe in there.
  • I'm having a lot of trouble getting past Atropos, I'm down to: 

Any tips?
  • Did you do the Old Homestead quest? If not, I listed the vnum of the room and it's general location in a prior post on the first page.
  • edited August 2013
    While I'm beating my head against the desk trying to figure out what to do next, more feedback:

* Monolith sigil prevented me from teleporting to the collegium - should probably have a hint about that and what to do in that situation. I feel like if you tell someone to do a command, it shouldn't fail in the intro.
    * Once I got to Atropos I was used to choices vanishing from the list before moving on to the next one, but couldn't figure out how to make the rift choice go away, and was reluctant to move on to the next choice
    * Kind of a weird answer: 
    You say, "How do I graduate to senior through collegium quests?"
    Atropos of the Shears says, "You must complete at least four quests at the Empyreal Academy in order to advance to a junior."
    * I dont think asking about the collegium went away until I checked GUILD STATUS

Also, something I noticed about Celest's collegium quest - When curing the paladins, I got  "A battered merian paladin bleeds profusely from open wounds." and there wasnt a hint on what to do about it, like there is for everything else.
  • edited August 2013
    Fennox said:
    Did you do the Old Homestead quest? If not, I listed the vnum of the room and it's general location in a prior post on the first page.
    None of the fates have mentioned it, that I've noticed...

Edit: Went to the room, doesn't seem to have changed anything
  • Why does learning 15 planar from [REDACTED] put 20 lessons in the skillset?

I'm told to teleport collegium, then greet Grutina, so it might be nice if the teleport took me to the person I'm supposed to greet.
    Oops, typo! Fixed to say 15 lessons!
  • Just a couple things that erked me that may or may not have been addressed in previous posts. No, I didn't read all of them.

I think what the process requires to advance should be outlined more, made more obvious. Like the second thing I did when I started was register, poof Clotho is gone. I probably missed a few things? I'll never know.

On Lachesis, she requires you to complete a quest and say something on CT. You arn't specificly told you need to do this either. I was seriously sitting there for half an hour trying to figure out how to progress before I came to the abrupt conclusion that maybe I HAVE to say 'I've stepped out of the portal of fate' on CT. And what do you know? Shadow battle and Atropos.

The ruins thing would of been horribly confusing if I didn't have prior knowledge of that room being there. It helps that you can LANDMARKS to it, thanks for that. But I swear that a collegium mob told me my destiny was somewhere on the southern road, then Atropos tells me Ackleberry road, that was the most confusing part (sadly, I forgot to log it). I don't really understand why the room is hidden from the highway though? Seems like more unnecessary confusion.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Acrune said:
    While I'm beating my head against the desk trying to figure out what to do next, more feedback:

Also, something I noticed about Celest's collegium quest - When curing the paladins, I got  "A battered merian paladin bleeds profusely from open wounds." and there wasnt a hint on what to do about it, like there is for everything else.

From the choices you've got left on Atropos, you need to do the rift thing. At some point in the question she'll give you an example about earwort, if you actually do it, the question should go away.

The paladin needs you to give him chervil. Telling him to clot doesn't seem to work, I've tried it.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Acrune said:
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting past Atropos, I'm down to: 

Any tips?
    So the answer was doing IR - again, this is not at all clear.
  • Oh, is THAT what that room was for? I found it about a week back, and was quite confused, since it didn't seem to actually have a purpose. Interesting.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • Fennox said:
    Porthos said:
    Okay, so I have done most of the intro now. I would like to see some of the options go away after you have done them, Atropos still has the options "I would like to know more about the history of Lusternia" and "How do I get more help?" even after both of those options have been activated multiple times. I had some issue with the Shadow quest, and ended up having to kill the shadow twice, the first time I killed it, I received the backpack, the second time, was when I accessed the help system, a shadow appeared in the room with me and I had to kill it. Another issue I am having is finishing the intro, right now I am stuck on the Old Homestead quest, I have found what appears to be the only room the quest references and still it wont let me search the area, now I am not sure if this is because I have already learned search in discernment or if this is because of a flaw in the game.
    I absolutely agree about the room for Old Homestead. When it referenced using LANDMARKS and PATH WALK I was kind of expecting to use LANDMARKS and find it listed. It wasn't, instead I had to use my previous knowledge (yes meta gaming omg shocking) to go to Ackleberry Highway. Again using that OOC knowledge, I knew which room was new. Earlier I posted the room number for those can walk to vnum rooms.
    I just finished this part, and it's quite possible it was added after you did it, but the RUINS landmark leads straight to the homestead room.
  • I like the idea of being able to travel around the world rather than stuck in a newbie realm, and of having a personal guide that responds to keywords...

But like others noted, it's very confusing what you're supposed to do to complete many of the tasks, like speaking on the newbie/city channel and checking IR.  Maybe a whispered hint as a reminder, or just making all the tasks more clear.  Guide should say when to check GUILD STATUS.  Also, completing one of the collegium quests can require a mending vial, but there's no suggestion about how to get one of those... and it can be pretty tough to get that as a 'new' newbie.  Maybe a task to get an empty vial and fill it from a keg?  And I don't see much point in forcing a random quest to be started/completed(at least I think that was part of the task?) if you're supposed to do the collegium quests, too. 

I think it's better than the current newbie intro, though.  As a semi-new player myself, I didn't get much out of that one.  
  • edited August 2013
    I've only gotten up to Lachesis so far. 

1)The existence of collegium quests should be made clear and should come before the Newton Quests. 
    We want the players to interact with their communes or cities, not hare off questing at first.

2)I agree with the points here. It's a little confusing as to what I'm supposed to do next at times. A little direction is needed. I liked the fact that the game prompts you in the old intro. 

3)LANDMARKS command should be told to the player AFTER They've teleported to the Nexus. Not before at the portal of fate. Everything is too far to walk to. 
    is dead like the dodo
  • I just rushed through it then -
    ======================
    It's a bit slow between instructional frames, and when the map instructions are up, we don't have a map - this might be a bit confusing.

To quote: "It is Clotho's sister, whose name is Lachesis." - we don't know who either of these people are yet, or the names of any erstwhile siblings they may or may not have.

Answering our age must be inexplicably in numerals. Maybe add a HINT when we say our age verbally?

It might be because I save my client information or something, but when Lachesis explains MAP and CONFIG MAPVIEW ON, it seems redundant, because we've already been taught about the map in an intro frame.

The End of the World store stocks nothing, and perhaps ought to be removed.

K SHADOW does not target the shadow - Sending: punch shadow // Nothing can be seen here by that name. We have to click on the yellowed text to combat it.

Wearing clothing in the tutorial does not qualify you for ACHIEVEMENTS. Tested sipping - no achievements seem to function during the tutorial at all.

I quote:  "What you see are paths that may be," says a female voice crackling with age, and you know instinctively that it belongs to the eldest of the fates, Atropos.   -  Fates should be capitalised.
  • Lachesis the Weaver says, "Wear the backpack, Wyliam. It once belonged to you, I believe. I do not believe we have seen the last of the shadow so keep your wits about you."

Missing a click link for wear backpack.
  • Odd updating on guide. Doesn't seem to update room list in UI until forced look.

Teleport artifacts. Sounds like anti-advertising. Placing them in a room that soon.

The Pool of Stars.

This location is flooded with shallow, crystal clear water. Meeting in the radiant heart of New Celest, the broad city streets come together in a large, open plaza of marbled stone. Rising in the centre of the plaza is a structure of noble and luminescent pillars which suspend a round, ring-shaped platform twenty feet above the light-studded surface of the pool below. The atmosphere within the structure and around the pool bristles with a warm, electrical energy, giving a slightly disorienting sense of dizziness and euphoria. A gradually ascending stairway winds its way about the inside of the pillars, leading towards the upper level of the structure and offering a bird's eye view of the pool. An enormously wide circular pool, as dark as the night sky, glitters softly between the columns. His form suffused with soft light, the Keeper of the Pool of Stars stands here attentively. A statue of Unitos stands here, memorializing his noble spirit. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. A platinum eye sigil is here. There are 2 palm sigils here. An imposing sword of radiant white metal has been driven deep into the ground in a silent statement of intent. A simple basket woven from densely packed hemp lies here. There are 20 archons of Eternal Light here.

You see exits leading north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest, and up (open door).

Meleris doesn't show by name on a room look.

Walking around via paths makes multiple Atropos in the UI list.

• Could you give the option to redo the tour? The guide disappeared after the shadow was killed. I got the pack though proceeded to start the Mag collegium quest as I had no guide to carry on with the intro tour. It would be a shame to make a mistake with the intro tour and not be able to restart it...
  • edited August 2013
    Auginorus said:
    I just rushed through it then -
    ======================
    It's a bit slow between instructional frames, and when the map instructions are up, we don't have a map - this might be a bit confusing.

To quote: "It is Clotho's sister, whose name is Lachesis." - we don't know who either of these people are yet, or the names of any erstwhile siblings they may or may not have.

Answering our age must be inexplicably in numerals. Maybe add a HINT when we say our age verbally?

It might be because I save my client information or something, but when Lachesis explains MAP and CONFIG MAPVIEW ON, it seems redundant, because we've already been taught about the map in an intro frame.

The End of the World store stocks nothing, and perhaps ought to be removed.

K SHADOW does not target the shadow - Sending: punch shadow // Nothing can be seen here by that name. We have to click on the yellowed text to combat it.

Wearing clothing in the tutorial does not qualify you for ACHIEVEMENTS. Tested sipping - no achievements seem to function during the tutorial at all.

I quote:  "What you see are paths that may be," says a female voice crackling with age, and you know instinctively that it belongs to the eldest of the fates, Atropos.   -  Fates should be capitalised.
    It seems you're doing the OLD intro, not the new one. 

Edit: While I'm sure they like feedback on the old one, the new one is the one that needs the most feedback here, which is completely different the old one (read previous posts!)

Edit #2:
    Barrin said:
    Could you give the option to redo the tour? The guide disappeared after the shadow was killed. I got the pack though proceeded to start the Mag collegium quest as I had no guide to carry on with the intro tour. It would be a shame to make a mistake with the intro tour and not be able to restart it...

GUIDE CALL should bring your guide back if they disappear / not there to begin with. They'll stick with you until you GUIDE DISMISS / complete the intro.

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    edited August 2013
    Strands of glowing multi-hued thread suddenly rise up before you, wrapping together to form a female form. Burning in a flash of bright light, the threads fall away to reveal Atropos the Shearer of Destiny.

There really should be a comma after Atropos.

Anything else I wanted to say has been said elsewhere by others (especially that I think there should be a prompt/reminder to encourage you to do the things that move the Fates on to the next one, e.g. completing a quest for Lachesis, as I wasn't sure what to do!).

Oh, and when you use the HTML client it currently warns you that the intro is linear, unlike the game itself, in one of the pre-game popups. May want to change that once the new intro is in!
  • I think I love it. It definitely feels more up-to-date and engaging, and while it was quiet when I tried it seems like it might encourage novices to talk more? I liked the idea of finding the old home - I feel that the intro is a missed chance to drive home the emotional impact of the lore. How is one supposed to feel about having surrendered their whole life for a new and ideally better one? Sometimes I forget that's how all our characters begin - answering the questions relating to that contributed a lot to my grasp of my character - not that I have anybody to RP with about it :P
  • edited August 2013
    The shadow apparently has infinite life unless you newbie kick or punch it.  I hit it with ten minorseconds to no avail.  Five kicks later, and it's dead.  Seems odd that skills a new person may have learned aren't able to kill the shadow.

Also, the flash client seemed really laggy for me, occasionally taking five seconds to update after giving it input.  May wish to see if it's possible to further optimize it or something.  Was definitely missing Mudlet, though I am running Xubuntu so its flash plugin may make a difference.
  • Further thoughts:

I definitely had my journal before finding it in the ruins, because I accidentally gave it to one of the collegium people. I think it may have been in the backpack, although I don't remember exactly.
  • I have just had that same problem, but it was not in the backpack.

I also managed to get the Atropos of the Shears says, "That is the treasure that will unlock your destiny, Alkot! Quickly! Read what is upon its pages." message while in an aethermanse taking the quick way to the highway. When I got to the room there, SEARCH gave me a message saying that it was not the time search for things
  • Think the hidden room needs to show up on the in-game map, or at least have a breadcrumb trigger like the other hidden rooms (see: Serenwilde geography, Nintoba Naos.) Not sure if newbies will even know to be looking for secret exits like that.

Otherwise, do enjoy the tour guide aspect and getting into the world right off. Might benefit from an option to ask about earlier information, as some of the stuff disappears after it's triggered.