Help Test the Newbie Tour; Receive 10 Bound Credits!

Comments

• Maybe it would be better if the Fates sent representatives instead of going themselves? Then everyone could see the representatives and that the newbie was talking to them and not to us?
  • Clotho
    ------

At the start with Clotho it wasn't obvious that I had to GREET GUIDE, click on next option, do what it says, repeat till done. I don't think it's obvious that you need to keep greeting her (or scrolling up and clicking through). I'd have found a paragraph with more explanation helpful

The prompts from the old intro were good, so if you do nothing for a while it would say '"GREET GUIDE to continue your journey" or just have Clotho say "When you're ready, GREET GUIDE to ask me more."

I like the pop ups, like the map explanation.

Is there a button to recenter the map? My map vanished a few times but came back when I moved (Chrome browser). Rooms with stairs aren't obvious on the client map.

Clotho disappeared after just doing REGISTER, SCORE, STAT, LOOK, so I didn't get to ask the other questions, like how to move.

Lachesis
    --------

A reminder to keep greeting her would help me. "Sentient creatures often have something to say. Start the conversation by GREETing them. GREET GUIDE to speak to Lachesis and continue your journey." There's already lots of great tips like these in Newton but without the reminder some won't get there.

After I'd killed the shadow it took me a while to GREET GUIDE again and realise there were new options.

The shadow arrived for the second time right after I spoke on the city aethers. fighting the shadow could distract from interacting with the city if there's a reply..

Atropos
    -------

I logged out and when I logged back in I had a journal. Asking Atropos about the journal she tells me to try and read it. When I did it was disappointing when there's nothing in it. It'd be better if she commented to say something like "Your adventures are yet unwritten, these pages are yours to fill."
  • Elgara said:
    Hello, I've run into a problem. I've got my journal already - I've had it since the Portal of Fate, and I've not been told to do the homestead-quest at any point. I've done everything else though.

When I GREET GUIDE, I have these options:

I click on the first option:

You say, "What do I do with this journal?"

Atropos of the Shears says, "Why don't you try to read it?"

[HINT]: Type READ JOURNAL to see what is written within it.

You see nothing written there.

-

And that's it. Nothing happens.

Edit: Turns out I need to go to the ruins on Ackleberry road - but no where at all in the tutorial was I told to go there, or how to get there. I asked on Newbie why it wasn't working and was told my Ssaliss to go there!
    Ok I have gotten to this point and I am at the room even though I've had my journal since the start of the intro. Everytime I read the journal nothing happens is there another ruins other than the room listed that I can't find?
  • You shouldn't have your journal yet - that's a bug that I'll fix now.
  • Bug list:
    After using TELEPORT NEWTON newbies get prompted with this message: "[Notice]: You are heading to the Newton Caverns: prepare to battle finks and gnomes and get started on a grand quest! If you get stuck, ask for help on the NEWBIE channel." where NEWBIE is a link. Clicking it just sends 'newbie' which is rather useless.

The Room Menu is not very good at updating itself when you kill finks and get finks - it requires that you LOOK or move in/out before it will update. Also, it has a tendancy to fill your "mobs in the room" list with whatever's following you. Like, say Lachesis. I suppose this is more of an issue with the HTML client than with the intro, but it's a thing I noticed.

All in all, I like this intro much better than the old one. It doesn't have to annoying "wait to be prompted to do things" and "you cannot do that yet, the tutorial isn't ready" messages, you don't need to do SPEEDUP repeatedly to get through it at a reasonable pace and it shows things that are much more important IMO, than the old tutorial did.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I wouldn't mind seeing an option to speed up the rate that the Fates speak at.  I know when I went through it, at the end with the journal it felt like FOREEEEEEEEEVER.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I haven't gone all the way through yet, but I agree. I started getting really confused, because things would happen with no apparent cause... and then I realized it was responding to something I did 30 seconds ago. 
  • Odd addendum, Bards starting out in the Hallifax collegium are told this:

Ambassador Horotep says, "By touching the instrument, you will see what rooms you need to visit to tune the instrument. Turn the instrument in each room to tune it to the aetheric vibrations."

[HINT]: TOUCH INSTRUMENT to see what rooms you still need to visit in order to tune the instrument. Find the rooms and TURN INSTRUMENT in each room. When all rooms are visited, the quest will be complete.

touch instrument

You reach out and touch a wooden lute.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Not necessarily "odd," but could definitely be confusing.  That's just the lute that you pulled out of your pack to start with getting in the way of the actual instrument.

That newbie-lute could possibly be changed to not be able to be referred to as an "instrument".  Don't think it would break too much since it doesn't last long anyways.
  • 'odd' in the sense that it's not really on-topic. What is on-topic though:

- There were a couple of points where an extra hint would have been nice (notably the second shadow, by which point you have your second attack form and have probably used it on something, so reverting back to PUNCH|KICK SHADOW seems a bit unintuitive.)
    - Perhaps work buying back into the tutorial, having Bob sell the newbie a mending vial and some herbs for the healing quest. Or have the healing quest mobs give you herbs back.
    - I didn't notice any indication of the INV or II command, and I know they didn't point out getting your weapon/instrument from the pack.
    - It's just me, but I'd not mind having Lachesis mention that the clothes from the pack aren't the best, and that NewbieC will want replacing them.
    - I don't remember a mention of PORTALS (nor of PORTALS removing afflictions.)
    - maybe convert one of the lesson bonuses into a single bound credit, with an introduction to CREDITS CONVERT 1 TO LESSONS?
    - Can we gag the very first CT for the duration of the test? I got kind of nervous when I realized it was required, given that I always feel bad when I take up people's time on newbies who A) Aren't, and B) are going straight to the dustbin the minute I'm done with the test.
  • I was trying to figure out how to report all this but it appears pretty freeform so bleh. I'll try to be clear. And sorry if I repeat stuff already mentioned.

Anyway, I know the post requested we use the site's application but I opted to try the tour with the telnet entrance because I'm used to it and some people might not have java or what is required to play.

Anywho, general points first of all (Clotho didn't disappear because I didn't ask every question, so it took a while for Lachesis and my shadow to appear.)

It is helpful, straightforward and great to have the tutorial this way. However, it was very disorienting to have no clothes, no vials, no nothing. When I first started playing a few years ago, you got some gold, clothes and backpack, which I thought was good enough.

Also, despite being a bard, I only got my lute with my backpack and it was quite a long complicated process to get enough gold to buy an instrument. I knew you'd get gold from the collegium, but it wouldn't have been clear if it was my first time playing.

It might be helpful to have the items in the beginning, and then you get the vials later. The essentials are important (Clothes and weapon, if applicable). In short, I was left without a weapon, without gold to buy a weapon or do anything. An idea I had would be for Clotho to tell you 'You will get equipment from my sister, Lachesis' or something similar. There was also nothing about my guild or city. Help file is all well and good, but something short and to the point perhaps to help RP intensive novices to acclimatise better. Maybe they don't want to join the type of city they did join, or commune, or whatever.

When I logged out and came back in after a while, I forgot how to recall my guide and the commands associated with them. A prompt such as 'If you wish to have help from the fates once more, remember you can GUIDE CALL' might help.

I've been through the original tutorial many times, and in different incarnations. Perhaps it would be possible to keep both tutorials? Give the novice a chance to try the beginner's tutorial, or the normal level tutorial (Beginning is in shallamar, normal in the realms). People might panic if thrust straight away into the game. I always liked it in new MUDs I tried when there was a 'preparation area'.

I'm still with Lachesis now, and I asked everything. She is still here, so I'll see what happens when I do stuff in Newton.

Erm, yeah. I hope it wasn't too rambling.

Oh, just a nitpick, but calling I think it would be better to keep the opines of the gnomes and finks impartial.

A masked taurian exclaims, "Sugoi! Gorlois-kun is kawaii, uguu~!"
  • You do get clothes in your backpack.
  • Thanks for all the constructive input. We've already made a bunch of tweaks to address some of the issues (and more tweaks on teh way).

• Anita said:
    You do get clothes in your backpack.
    Only after you're done with Clotho and you've defeated your shadow. Not when you create the character for the first time, which is what I meant.
  • After I read journal and see nothing written in the pages, the next step didn't trigger.  Screenshot attached.image
  • An observation. Being most of the bugs seem to be to do with the guides or something, if i was a newbie I'd probably enjoy using it more if perhaps we could call back a guide from earlier, like have Clotho replace Lachesis in case they thought it was moving too fast and need to be reminded of an earlier point.
  • Update: When I signed back in, I can no longer call or greet the guide, but the Fates quest is still considered incomplete.
  • edited August 2013
    Like the improvements, the addition of 'what is left to do' will be helpful. I'd like to agree with the person who said maybe remove the requirement to speak on the city aether. Or make it guild or guild aether because people expect novices to bungle a few things on there, heh.

However, after doing the tasks for Lachesis, she says my shadow has returned and I must kill it. Er, it must have gotten lost on the way because no shadow has appeared and it's been a few minutes. So, stuck.

OK well it arrived after I learnt my first lessons. Or thanks if someone did something.

EDIT: By the way, if we find more bugs like ths, do you prefer them all to be posted on here or using the bug command? Or both?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It's confusing because certain events have certain requirements, but we aren't told or shown what the requirements are. We just bumble around doing things and clicking questions until we find the magic combination.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    It's confusing because certain events have certain requirements, but we aren't told or shown what the requirements are. We just bumble around doing things and clicking questions until we find the magic combination.
    It would help us a lot if you could be specific about what events are vague or causing trouble.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2013
    Well, pretty much all of it is what I think he meant. You're kind of plopped down with this guide and a bunch of bright green questions. It's clear enough that you're supposed to click them, but it would be nice if the guide said something like "I'm here to help you learn about {these subjects}. When you have {done these specific tasks}, my sisters will assist you further." 

^ Looks like this was already addressed.

I'd like to second the motion of adding an option to call back a previous guide.

Also, if it's possible, instead of having the bright green question links disappear, just make them grey and still clickable (like a clicked link anywhere else on the internet).
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Stilnor said:
    Update: When I signed back in, I can no longer call or greet the guide, but the Fates quest is still considered incomplete.
    Same thing happened to me earlier. Then I killed something and the shadow re-appeared.

Iosai said:
    You shouldn't have your journal yet - that's a bug that I'll fix now.
    It appears as if, since I quit then re-logged, my journal was created. Not sure if this is how it works, but maybe when moving to the new intro, delete their artifact journal, and have a new one made at the appropriate time?
    Is also the Shintar.
    edited August 2013
    Stilnor said:
    Update: When I signed back in, I can no longer call or greet the guide, but the Fates quest is still considered incomplete.
    I'm encountering this too. I got to the homestead and searched (despite having the journal the entire time), but reading the journal didn't trigger anything. Logged out and in again, no guide, can't call her.

EDIT: Okay, so I was given the homestead quest before graduating from Collegium. I imagine that's why reading the journal didn't do anything. When I went back and finished the last Collegium quest, Atropos appeared and told me the journal was blank, etc, and the Fates quest was completed.
    I used to make cakes.

• I had finished the 5 collegium quests but still hadn't graduated, so I waited for the graduation time to tick to zero.  Still no Atropos reappearing, even after I read journal.
  • Daraius said:
    Stilnor said:
    I'm encountering this too. I got to the homestead and searched (despite having the journal the entire time), but reading the journal didn't trigger anything. Logged out and in again, no guide, can't call her.

EDIT: Okay, so I was given the homestead quest before graduating from Collegium. I imagine that's why reading the journal didn't do anything. When I went back and finished the last Collegium quest, Atropos appeared and told me the journal was blank, etc, and the Fates quest was completed.
    I also got the homestead quest before graduating from the collegium. Reading the journal worked just fine for me. (despite having the journal long before "finding" it in the ruins) I think I technically did READ TOME, if that makes a difference.
    Don't know if this is germane to the intro, but I found the html client really, really slow. From initial character creation (with the image pop-ups) to the end I was met with considerably more lag than I got with Nexus. Those images in particular seemed to take forever to load - I thought the client was broken. 
    I used to make cakes.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The image popups are incredibly distracting and break the flow, besides also being quite startling if you weren't expecting them.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I appear to have borked it a little bit.

So I completed a quest, this made Lachesis happy. She said quick, the shadow is here again etc - but it never appeared. I couldn't dismiss her. I relogged in the hope that this would fix it, but she's now gone and when I try to call her this is happening:

You cannot call upon your guide Guide at this time.

*breaks everything*
  • I had the same message as Tacita when I tried to call my guide after returning to the collegium from the ruins, but it finally worked for me a few minutes ago - READ JOURNAL triggered Atropos arriving and the end of the quest.
  • Tacita said:
    I appear to have borked it a little bit.

So I completed a quest, this made Lachesis happy. She said quick, the shadow is here again etc - but it never appeared. I couldn't dismiss her. I relogged in the hope that this would fix it, but she's now gone and when I try to call her this is happening:

You cannot call upon your guide Guide at this time.

*breaks everything*
    This is now fixed.