Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• You lecture Kaamo Lakeheart on the dangers of civilisation, against which the Serenwilde protects.
    Kaamo Lakeheart slaps his knee and declares that, by the gods, the Village of Rikenfriez should 
    follow the Free Forest of Serenwilde after all!
    Shouts rise up from the Village of Rikenfriez, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Free 
    Forest of Serenwilde.

^_^ Haven't had one of those in a while
  • RE: Gail, Alts, and Helping Novices

Personally, the creation of Gail the character kind of ruined the joke. However, all novices, regardless of being an alt or a true newbie, should be welcomed and taught properly. Unless the newcomer specifically says he/she can do fine on his/her own, I take some time to tell them how to do basic stuff (especially the Planar college quest).

• I feel like I missed a story arc here... What's all this mention and attention to 'Gail' recently? Was there a npc or...

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Arcanis said:
    Lol, random ending at random unscheduled time. True Lusternian fashion.

Least i'll have this to remember my kara:

He walks with the truefavour of Karagash.
    You were there, participating o.o. You were definitely gathering foam with everyone else.

Also, I just realized that the seals haven't been broken yet :o
  • Raeri said:
    I feel like I missed a story arc here... What's all this mention and attention to 'Gail' recently? Was there a npc or...
    As far as I know, it's just Gaudiguch shenanigans that has apparently spread.  :D

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Is there a quest to help the Higher-Gods-that-are-really-just-dreamweavers?

• Can't belieeeeve nobody's pieced together the Conclave and posted a log. Greatest god meet ever and since forever.
  • @Drocilla:I have what I heard, did we all hear different things?
    LIke a puzzle?

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Eodh said:
    RE: Gail, Alts, and Helping Novices

Personally, the creation of Gail the character kind of ruined the joke. However, all novices, regardless of being an alt or a true newbie, should be welcomed and taught properly. Unless the newcomer specifically says he/she can do fine on his/her own, I take some time to tell them how to do basic stuff (especially the Planar college quest).
    I do this,=Doubleplusgood.

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    @Drocilla:I have what I heard, did we all hear different things?
    LIke a puzzle?

[DATA REDACTED]
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tylwyth said:
    @Drocilla:I have what I heard, did we all hear different things?
    LIke a puzzle?

Yes. I had suggested someone from Glom keep our segment to assemble it all. We could only hear what our own Gods said, and they could only hear their own as well. Well, except Hoaracle at least. That guy apparently has a voice.
    And to add: What frustrates me most about this event is that a lot of time and effort was made to make it both fun and memorable for all players. Large scale battle to end it and get back to ourselves, it was pretty great. The foam issue was frustrating, but we were working around it. Then, the event concludes with a mechanical "Haha, gotcha! No recognition for you!" No matter how much effort you put in or how much you participated, if you failed to hit even one of the Gods without knowing this was a requirement, you ended up with (at least, this is how it feels to me) a slap in the face.

I strongly feel that for the first time at least, everyone who hit at least one of the gods should have received the credit. Write the extra requirement later in an announce post so players know about it, but please don't conclude events with new mechanics that undermine and sour the whole thing. It was completely unnecessary to do so. :(
  • Could we get a log of the entire event for those who missed it? I couldn't stay up till 5 AM every night. Also, all I heard of the conclave was @Drocilla and @Hoaracle throwing shade at each other.
  • Y'know. Looking back, I was early on pushing for Hallifax to try to get someone to momentarily attain a state of neither Perception nor non-Perception through the Beauty and Knowledge domoths, which is a reference to one of the Formless Realms of Buddhism. Instead we get Nirvana, one of the Heavens of Buddhism. I like it.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    edited December 2015
    Drocilla said:
    @Xenthos, you have been told already by @Darvellan to issue and see what happens. Just because it happened that way does not mean that we intended it that way. We do miss things in the grand scheme of things, it sucks but it happens.

From a mechanical point of view, it was not possible to prepare this in such a way as to have varying shades of involvement rewarded/acknowledged by the quest system just for the release. What would have been enough? Too many variables. Nor was it possible during the event to gather names of people "contributing enough" and adding those to a live reward list because, even though a few of us were present (and some Europe based and staying up to ungodly hours), everyone had a job and we were scurrying back and forth breathlessly enough as it was. Some were smashing down the highways, some were quadruple checking restoration prep (both code and manual stuff was needed), some were overseeing the puzzle, some were possessing mobs, some were on foam duty making sure it kept respawning, etc.

Also, not a comment at you @Xenthos but re: events in general, I'd like to reiterate that as many admin as are active (I'm sure you can do a head count), not all will always have the time or available to be online. We'll do our best to be around but sometimes life happens and this is pre-Christmas time. As a team we put actual months into preparing this on top of regular day to day running of the game (which eats much enough time). Then during the week we had probably the most free-form event ever, so what did happen during that time was all designed and coded on the fly (and trust me something as simple as sea of despair to crystal sea took quite a few hours, not to mention blowing up Hallifax). Last year's end of year event was ran by a truly skeletal team but we did the best that we could. Similarly, we did the best we could this year and people have really gone above and beyond. 

A blog post about this is probably in order!
    Regardless of whether or not it is issued, I think it's a discussion worth having / making known to those who are part of things.  When it comes to events, it's better to be inclusive than exclusive.  The more people you "reward" for participation (even as little reward as an honours line) the more happy those people are with how things went.  Conversely, if you reward some people (by Sidd's count, 5 people total in the entire game, though that may not be accurate) and exclude the majority, you leave the rest of them with a very different impression of how things went than (I assume) you wanted to.

I mean... I absolutely enjoyed how this thing went.  It was obvious that you guys were putting in a lot of effort.  And then we end up talking about this, when (to me) there was no need to even be having this discussion in the first place if it had been tweaked just slightly for the benefit of the players who were frantically trying to figure out what to do-- and if they made the wrong decision (or even just died to lag), they were SOL.

If nothing else, consider it constructive criticism at this point.  In the future, we can save a fair bit of angst and frustration by trying to get people included in things, instead of mechanically locking them out. Edit: As an edit, I'm not referring so much to the dream foam part which has been acknowledged to have been in error, but instead to locking them out by requiring them to have hit all 6 Gods so if they missed one, even due to the aforementioned dream foam issue, then they were locked out of the quest conclusion.  That one has been stated to not have been in error, and is the one I'm aiming at.  I feel that it could've been relaxed for the first completion, and then players informed of the requirement afterwards when the quest became repeatable.

Edit 2: Using the quest system, it shows 6 people completed it out of the entire group who was working through the thing.
    the Dreamlands of Nirvana Rankings
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.    Mnemosyne                          1
    2.    Synkarin                           1
    3.    Tekora                             1
    4.    Tridemon                           1
    5.    Sondayga                           1
    6.    Rivius                             1

Doesn't that seem awfully sparse?
  • edited December 2015
    Xenthos said:

Regardless of whether or not it is issued, I think it's a discussion worth having / making known to those who are part of things.

Not in Tweets, please! There's been enough discussion that a dedicated thread is warranted at this point.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Ieptix said:
    Xenthos said:

Regardless of whether or not it is issued, I think it's a discussion worth having / making known to those who are part of things.

Not in Tweets, please!
    I have made it a thread for you.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Some days I feel like I'm just doing everything backwards and reading everything wrong. :|
  • Haven't even completed the Waystation circuit 2 yet and already I got 4 rare pieces. Incandescent Bracers why. [-O<

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You quickly unwrap a present wrapped in pumpkin paper, which sprays glittering silver dust and cheerful confetti into the air, and excitedly store the poison senso in your rift.
    You've unwrapped an EXCEPTIONAL present! Type PRESENTS to see your Gift Counter.

...in which cruel world is that exceptional??? 

5/15 presents were gold, 5/15 were poison or liquid, 1/15 was fruit...laaaaaaame. I did get 5 curios, a wonder crystal, a doll and a beep beep. I'm clearly never a good enough girl to get good presents at solstice! -shakefist jolly bundy/iron beard-

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    My best exceptional present of late had 862 argleblaster in it. Not complaining!
  • I never manage to snag any presents at all during solstice :( I'm either asleep, at work, or I just can't find any of the blasted gnomes despite running over half the basin.

Speaking of, where do these spawn? Everywhere (including indoors/underground/UV)?
  • I'm just glad gnomes exist, even if I can't find the dang things.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yeah I caved and bought a crate because I can never find gnomes. And ironbeard is jerk  [-(

This discussion has been closed.