Simple Ideas

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Phoebus said:
    Can we get buffs that aren't counting show up in red or have a mark next to them or something on bodyscan? All the numbers together like that sort of blur together a bit when I try to scrutinize them, so it'd be nice to have an immediate way to see if something's not helping.
    This idea is less simple than you think.

Let's say you have a 1/2 buff, a 1/4 buff, and a 4 1/5 buffs.

Based on your request, one of the 1/5 buffs would be marked in red because that is the one that is not helping (the 1/2 applies first, then the 1/4 applies second, getting you to 2 levels, then three of the 1/5s get applied).  However, in this case you could lose one of ANY of those six buffs and still be at your cap of 5.  Highlighting them all in red doesn't do much good either, because then everything is highlighted.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Xenthos said:
    Phoebus said:
    Can we get buffs that aren't counting show up in red or have a mark next to them or something on bodyscan? All the numbers together like that sort of blur together a bit when I try to scrutinize them, so it'd be nice to have an immediate way to see if something's not helping.
    This idea is less simple than you think.

Let's say you have a 1/2 buff, a 1/4 buff, and a 4 1/5 buffs.

Based on your request, one of the 1/5 buffs would be marked in red because that is the one that is not helping (the 1/2 applies first, then the 1/4 applies second, getting you to 2 levels, then three of the 1/5s get applied).  However, in this case you could lose one of ANY of those six buffs and still be at your cap of 5.  Highlighting them all in red doesn't do much good either, because then everything is highlighted.
    Yeah, that's true. Maybe a thing by the total indicating that you aren't benefiting from some of the buffs you have? It would just be nice to be notified in some way at a glance, but I don't know what the best way of going about it would be.
  • Can we get the ability to blend more than 1 steam at a time? Unless this is a thing that I haven't figured out yet.

• Create more languages outside of the racial languages to learn. These are a minor, easy addition and offer roleplay opportunities and something special for Bookbinders. Fae language, as an example, would be a neat little addition. Maybe even a demonic tongue for Nil.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Fae language, learnable only by bookbinders, would be a bad, not-little addition. Otherwise yeah. Also, make language learning not bookbinder-only. 
  • edited January 2016
    Enyalida said:
    Fae language, learnable only by bookbinders, would be a bad, not-little addition. Otherwise yeah. Also, make language learning not bookbinder-only. 

Why would it be a bad addition? You didn't really say why. Languages are a universally learnable thing and Bookbinders are students of language. I'd support broadening languages to everyone, but Bookbinders need something besides origami (only two of them really being useful) and magictome.

Wiccans and Druids don't have a particular monopoly on knowing and understanding the fae. They simply have the greatest amount of communion with the realm that they hail from. It's the same as, as an example, if an angelic tongue existed and angels/the Supernals spoke it. It doesn't take a Celestine to understand the ways of the Supernals. Celestines just probably have a greater idea of the nuances behind them and they can debate them more readily as it is their primary focus of study. However, language isn't something that is particularly difficult for anyone to fathom.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It would be a bad addition because there is a lot of roleplay tied up in gradually learning ("phonetic") fae language and incorporating those language fragments into org roleplay. Suddenly bookbinders can just 'learn' it wholesale, erasing the need to or point of discovering and roleplaying knowledge of the language, rolling back literal years of some people's rp. I'm not one of these people, and it's absolutely not a guild based thing - so I don't necessarily have real skin in the game here. In fact, Druids have almost no direct relation to anyone who speaks fae! The difference between fae and a theoretical supernal language is, as pointed out, that there is a long tradition of roleplaying and discovering/learning parts of the fae language that would be quashed by every commune bookbinder (nevermind every city bookbinder) suddenly having more command of the language. 
  • edited January 2016
    Enyalida said:
    It would be a bad addition because there is a lot of roleplay tied up in gradually learning ("phonetic") fae language and incorporating those language fragments into org roleplay. Suddenly bookbinders can just 'learn' it wholesale, erasing the need to or point of discovering and roleplaying knowledge of the language, rolling back literal years of some people's rp. I'm not one of these people, and it's absolutely not a guild based thing - so I don't necessarily have real skin in the game here. In fact, Druids have almost no direct relation to anyone who speaks fae! The difference between fae and a theoretical supernal language is, as pointed out, that there is a long tradition of roleplaying and discovering/learning parts of the fae language that would be quashed by every commune bookbinder (nevermind every city bookbinder) suddenly having more command of the language. 
    I can state from personal experience as a Shadowdancer that the only real roleplay surrounding learning the Fae tongue is bits and smatterings here and there for rituals and established history. I've not seen any Shadowdancer go into real depth about it nor heard of any Moondancer doing anything particularly detailed with it either.

Language isn't something that you don't just understand because you're not a part of the organization either. A Celestian can just ask, 'Hey. What does nai'Dorin mean?' Member of Glomdoring explains. Tada, you just learned a bit of fae tongue. There's no arcane requirements to any of the languages (except Divine) technically and only a mechanical restriction. If I recall correctly, the Divine language is blocked roleplay-wise because it's painful (and outside of their mental perspective) for mortals to speak, much less hear. It can be read because Bookbinders are versed in language and reading it isn't quite the same as saying it aloud.

It would be different if Wiccans had spent a long length of time establishing roleplay on their own regarding the fae tongue, but I've never seen nor heard of any such thing. Don't see the issues with city bookbinders being able to learn it either. Language is, again, one of those culturally universal things.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Languages really would need to be divorced from bookbinding if languages like Fae, Celestial, Nillian, Necrot, etc. became learnable, if for no other reason than it would mean that the largest portion of, say, Celest would be unable to mechanically understand the language, while J'o Sch'mo the lucidian in Hallifax is fluent.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **

Luce said:
    Languages really would need to be divorced from bookbinding if languages like Fae, Celestial, Nillian, Necrot, etc. became learnable, if for no other reason than it would mean that the largest portion of, say, Celest would be unable to mechanically understand the language, while J'o Sch'mo the lucidian in Hallifax is fluent.
    That would be Celest's fault for not having smart bookbinders like Hallifax. I don't see this as a problem.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Include a really long, inconvenient honor quest to find a tutor to learn the language. Ideally two, one from the perspective of learning an allied/sacred language and the other from a know-thy-enemy perspective. Then add in an artifact so people who hate quests can buy their way around that requirement if they really want to.

Keeps it apart from bookbinding and limits availability some, so that it's mostly people with a strong relationship for/against a group that learn the languages. And then it adds more languages, which pleases me greatly.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Portius said:
    Then add in an artifact so people who hate quests can buy their way around that requirement if they really want to.
    And you lost me.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Look at me double posting.

I would really like to see arenas not strip outside drunkenness, if possible. The whole 'get 50 poteens and enjoy the perks with no drawbacks whatsoever' thing is absurd, imo.

-

• Speaking of arenas, I'd like to be able to join outside arena events and be deposited back to the room that I joined from instead of dropped at the staging area/spectator stands of that arena.
  • Talan said:
    Replace the feminine city rank "Marquessa" with "Marquise."
    Replace the feminine city rank "Earless" with "Countess."

And if you really want to make me stop twitching, swap the leader ranks so that Prince is below Grand Duke, as would be correct where these titles are used.

The Countess one might be difficult, since under a Conquest Government, the feminine title for a Council member is Countess.

HONOURS @Feyda
    She sits on the Freedom Council of Gaudiguch as a Countess.

• Different government styles, so the two will never come in contact with each other in the same org.

Alternately, since conquest is already using the French with "Marquis," replace the council positions with Comte/Comtesse.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited January 2016
    I would actually love to see some new ranks for the cities. One of my favorite things in Lusternia is the fact that expanding as an org changes your org's full title and changes the CL. Sadly, communes don't get to change their city ranks but I think there's potential there.

However, I agree with Talan. Grand Dukes were of higher rank than Princes. It is kind of weird to see. Although, in the Russian monarchies, they were roughly the same rank or translated to be similar. I guess it's subjective.

Edit: Actually, I'm half-tempted to spend some time in redoing the ranks and submitting them as a thread on the forums if there's any interest.
  • I'm not asking for my ideal org. I'm asking for a typo fix, and I'm trying very hard not to be offended that the male titles are real titles while the female ones are made-up nonsense words.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Well I mean....most of Lusternia is made up nonsense words. I wouldn't take any offense to it.
  • Thanks for the advice, dude.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Anytime gurl.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    It took me a while to realise that the first Earless-titled person I met was meant to be a female Earl, and not trying to make some sort of joke. I was like 'that is the stupidist thing ever, everyone knows female Earls are Countesses'. Upon which I discovered that they actually don't.

I also remember someone insisting on using the Baroness title for herself even though she was an Earless.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Mmmm, I may have met my match in Drag Queen GIFs.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Be nice to the Americans though, they don't have people with fancy titles that make little sense scaling in importance as a result of being born to a specific family, so it's easy to get stuff 'wrong'.

Earless is still silly, it should be replaced with something that doesn't make it sound like you have run out of earwort.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I'd like to be able to buy "grab bag" curio packages, which just have a chance to give you a curio from any set (same as how the curio roll for the wheel works). Would be fine if they were only available in single piece packages for 3cr each, but I'd be happy with 100 piece containers for 200cr too.
  • Nienla said:
    L. Sadly, communes don't get to change their city ranks but I think there's potential there.

Of course not, we don't live in dirty cities!
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim: