Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Today I'm glad that Manteekan isn't rude enough to sometimes just stare at me and shake his head.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited February 2016
    @Estarra I know this has been discussed many times but can we please make snub a one way mechanic only. Just because someone chooses to ignore me doesn't mean I want to be barred from hearing what they say while I'm in the room with them. It it is group to it wrecks the role play. The reality is that the mechanic just get abused when it acts as a two way mechanic. 

Just do I am clear on how I think it should work. Player A snubs Player B. Player A cannot hear player b and player b cannot direct any communication (tells emotes etc) to player a. Player B can however hear what Player A says while in the room and can hear what Player A says over aethers.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    There are people who use snub to avoid players who OOCly harass them. Those players I think have the right to cut someone off if they need to. Is it ideal? Of course not. But neither is toxic human behavior.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Still mightily annoyed with the wonderbelt. The auto-shield just makes it harder to secure an already-difficult-to-secure Meteor kill. Ugh, what a broken combat philosophy this game has.
    See you in Sapience.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Twytch said:
    Still mightily annoyed with the wonderbelt. The auto-shield just makes it harder to secure an already-difficult-to-secure Meteor kill. Ugh, what a broken combat philosophy this game has.
    It ain't the combat philosophy, it's the corporate one. The wonderbelt, like all wonder items, is a money grab. People pay for things that help them win. Powerful things help them win. Therefore, even though it's horribly broken and unbalanced, the company will create it, people will buy, and everyone who has money and who wants their money is happy.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Sylandra said:
    There are people who use snub to avoid players who OOCly harass them. Those players I think have the right to cut someone off if they need to. Is it ideal? Of course not. But neither is toxic human behavior.
    The thing is, it would cut them off. You would never ever hear anything from them, but it is extremely frustrating in a group setting to see a one-sided conversation. And let's face it, 95% of people misuse the mechanic.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    FYI, the best wonder item is the cornucopia. I've gotten more crystals out of that than anything else and it will definitely pay itself off over time. The 2nd best is the pipe if you can make it to the 20 power. The belt is only if you want to help PK, but "getting good" is way more valuable than any artifact.

TL;DR in order of general use: cornucopia > pipe > wand > horn > belt > wings

Do the belt if all you really want to do is help PK, but it's less valuable than getting good.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I'm fairly certain that the creation of new wonder items is being dictated from corprorate as some of the other IRE games get similar items in the same months. Achaea has talisman pieces, for example.

The exact mechanics seem left up to the game designers, but it is a bit pointless to make wonder items that aren't powerful, otherwise less people will buy them. It is a lot of money after all.

• Leolamins said:
    @Estarra I know this has been discussed many times but can we please make snub a one way mechanic only. Just because someone chooses to ignore me doesn't mean I want to be barred from hearing what they say while I'm in the room with them. It it is group to it wrecks the role play. The reality is that the mechanic just get abused when it acts as a two way mechanic. Just do I am clear on how I think it should work. Player A snubs Player B. Player A cannot hear player b and player b cannot direct any communication (tells emotes etc) to player a. Player B can however hear what Player A says while in the room and can hear what Player A says over aethers.

It used to be if you typed "ctells full" or whatever you could see all conversation and participants on a channel. Is this no longer the case? You are correct, snub filters (blocks) realtime aether chat.
  • Kaalak said:
    Leolamins said:
    @Estarra I know this has been discussed many times but can we please make snub a one way mechanic only. Just because someone chooses to ignore me doesn't mean I want to be barred from hearing what they say while I'm in the room with them. It it is group to it wrecks the role play. The reality is that the mechanic just get abused when it acts as a two way mechanic. Just do I am clear on how I think it should work. Player A snubs Player B. Player A cannot hear player b and player b cannot direct any communication (tells emotes etc) to player a. Player B can however hear what Player A says while in the room and can hear what Player A says over aethers.

It used to be if you typed "ctells full" or whatever you could see all conversation and participants on a channel. Is this no longer the case? You are correct, snub filters (blocks) realtime aether chat.
    A particular person in Magnagora (who said 'moo' often), milked this mechanic a lot when I was warlord.  Making claims on the aether that I couldn't hear and hence respond too.  It may have changed but it has been like that for a long time.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• edited February 2016
    Leolamins said:
    Kaalak said:
    Leolamins said:

A particular person in Magnagora (who said 'moo' often), milked this mechanic a lot when I was warlord.  Making claims on the aether that I couldn't hear and hence respond too.  It may have changed but it has been like that for a long time.

That sounds issueable. I've had immature players try to get my alts in trouble in Mag by doing similar things in room when I had them snubbed. Third parties alerted me to the situation and in one and only one case the offending player was talked to.
  • edited February 2016
    I don't see why the snub code couldn't be "toggle-able" for a snubee to see a snuber's in room says, emotes etc. Thus the snuber is protected as designed but can be held accountable by a snubee for attempting to abuse the mechanic. Edit: this is bullshit. This is a common problem so there HAS to be a better coded solution out there. Why can't I find an example.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Lavinya said:
    Sylandra said:
    The thing is, it would cut them off. You would never ever hear anything from them, but it is extremely frustrating in a group setting to see a one-sided conversation. And let's face it, 95% of people misuse the mechanic.
    Okay well cards on the table. I snubbed someone once for what felt very close to IC/OOC stalking. Speaking for myself I would very much dislike it if this mechanic were changed to what is being described.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I see a lot of people complaining about Lusternia, don't see many of them stop playing even though "they're ruining this game."
  • Sylandra said:
    Lavinya said:
    Sylandra said:
    Okay well cards on the table. I snubbed someone once for what felt very close to IC/OOC stalking. Speaking for myself I would very much dislike it if this mechanic were changed to what is being described.
    I don't understand the reason for the dislike.  What I have suggested does not change the way snub would work for you snubbing someone.  You would never hear from them and they are prevented from interacting with you.  You get to choose to ignore them which is your right.

My issue is that snub also gives you the right, at your choosing, to say the person must also ignore you in return.  That is not fair.  It is not a right you and I should have.  It means you are limited in being able to participate in events where the snubber is present and participating (because you cannot hear what they are saying to gods).  If you hold a voted leadership position you cannot hear what that person is saying to others, even if it is in character roleplay against you.

• Chirbo said:
    I see a lot of people complaining about Lusternia, don't see many of them stop playing even though "they're ruining this game."
    Did you miss the retirement from Lusternia thread and how some people were very vocal and eager to leave? Why do you think Zvoltz started a thread about guild overhall to shrink the number of guilds? A growing population of happy players would not require that solution. 
  • edited February 2016

Chirbo said:
    I see a lot of people complaining about Lusternia, don't see many of them stop playing even though "they're ruining this game."
    Er, for some people lusternia has been part of their lives for years if not over a decade. So it is in no way surprising that people might hold out even though they're complaining, maybe they hope there will be change in time, maybe there's also a level of training (we have seen more than a few times that complaining on the forums can result in changes)

And, from a customer service POV, its one of the more valuable behaviors, because yes another option is to stop playing. Instead they're coming to a public space to state what they don't like rather than just disappearing without offering the feedback.
  • edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:
    Lavinya said:
    Sylandra said:
    Sylandra, please understand I am speaking from a position of empathy when I say I appreciate what you experienced was wrong and you should be protected in that cause but I disagree with your conclusion on the methods because that conclusion is one-sided, and I mean that mathematically.  For perspective some players have had to get familiar with HROs (Civil Harassment Restraining Orders) and become familiar with criminal and civil statues because of individuals who have played Lusternia. My point is you are not alone, and I am attempting to express empathy with you over whatever situation you experience. 

"Leolamins said:
    I don't understand the reason for the dislike.  What I have suggested does not change the way snub would work for you snubbing someone.  You would never hear from them and they are prevented from interacting with you.  You get to choose to ignore them which is your right.

My issue is that snub also gives you the right, at your choosing, to say the person must also ignore you in return.  That is not fair.  It is not a right you and I should have.  It means you are limited in being able to participate in events where the snubber is present and participating (because you cannot hear what they are saying to gods).  If you hold a voted leadership position you cannot hear what that person is saying to others, even if it is in character roleplay against you."<---quote ends here, fuck you forums formatting. 

What Leo said above is also correct. The snub system has been used repeatedly as an abusive tactic.   To the point where it is less the fault of the people involved who are taking advantage of the system, and more the fault that the system is not robust enough to function in a real world situation. 

Logically it follows there should be a system in place that fulfills both criteria. 

Now when I said "This is a common problem" I sometimes forget my audience. I mean "this is a common mathematical problem" not unlike say the Prisoner's Dilemma where I would expect formalized solutions have been worked out and likely someone somewhere has already coded an algorithm for it.  Which Lusternia should adopt wholesale because the current snub mechanic is repeatedly abused. 

I'm annoyed because I feel like I read a solution for a problem of this sort but I can't recall exactly.  
  • Chirbo said:
    I don't know, I feel like we lost more than we gained (in terms of players) due to the IRE retirement thing. The biggest gainers seem to be Imperian and Achaea.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Twytch said:
    Chirbo said:
    I don't know, I feel like we lost more than we gained (in terms of players) due to the IRE retirement thing. The biggest gainers seem to be Imperian and Achaea.
    I would be surprised if IRE aren't carefully monitoring the whole thing and watching where the retirement credits are flowing.
  • edited February 2016
    I've seen a total of 2 people actually quit lusternia who were also active players before it (retiring)
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I know I moved about 6k to imperian from Lusternia and Aetolia. Also, the IRE head man is doing an AMA on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/43vt0f/im_the_founderceo_of_iron_realms_ama/
  • Speaking of retired characters, the Illuminati still have a retired GA.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Chirbo said:
    I've seen a total of 2 people actually quit lusternia who were also active players before it (retiring)
    You've seen.
    Also like... actually active people are retiring seems like a flag, the people that are barely active or inactive retiring seems like it would indicate that these people have an interest in the medium just not the game (potentially highlighting there's a reason they don't want to play here, but given the opportunity they'll happily play elsewhere)
  • Qistrel said:
    Saying things are ruining the game is not the same as saying the game is ruined. It's incremental stuff - like, if they keep making more and more wonder items with better and better powers, it could very well ruin the game. But it hasn't ruined the game yet. I feel bad that I don't have a Cornucopia or Wonderpipe, because I'm missing out on some stuff that improves bashing, and I am worried about the wonderbelt, because it's getting very close to the slippery slope over there, but, I'm coping reasonably well without them.

Another incremental thing - we used to have credits. Then we got dingbats, which were hard to come buy, but that was ok, cause it was just credits and rarer dingbats. But now dingbats are pretty much equivalent to credits, and we have aethergoop which is the hard-to-come by currency, and wonder crystals which are a whole fourth type of currency. We've gone from two to four, which is twice the number of currencies we now have to explain to new players, and makes the game more complicated than is actually needed. And how long before a fifth currency comes out? I think proliferation of more and more currencies will ruin the game. But again, it hasn't quite gotten to that point yet.

Are my complaints invalid because I haven't left the game over them?
    And alas you forgot about the original IG currency gold...let's call it the zero currency

• edited February 2016
    Or how about way back when gem comms barely existed and every warrior weapon worth using had diamond comms so single diamonds went for credits apiece. :P
  • Can we like... Stop with the early morning revolts? It's been four in a row now and a majority of the population isn't even around to give proper contestation. I get that not everyone plays at the same time and I'm fine with an off-peak revolt every now and again, but this is a little silly.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Quick note about snub: Snub is meant as a last resort. A protection when you just cannot possibly deal with another player (for non-issueable reasons) and continue to play Lusternia. It imposes restrictions on the person using it just as much as the person it's used against. It would not be okay to snub someone, and then go on to wage an RP smear campaign against them on shared channels/newsboards/etc... 
  • edited February 2016
    Nienla said:
    Can we like... Stop with the early morning revolts? It's been four in a row now and a majority of the population isn't even around to give proper contestation. I get that not everyone plays at the same time and I'm fine with an off-peak revolt every now and again, but this is a little silly.
    But it's totally on-peak for me! (And by extension, most of the north who actively seek conflict atm) :D
    Wildeflower Aramel Strongleaf says to Xiran, "My cousin's attitude to life is rather like her attitude towards cake - to have everything, and at once, and lots of it."
This discussion has been closed.