Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Influenced around 30% of Titan today. The trudge continues.
    See you in Sapience.
  • Synkarin said:
    Honestly, I think snub is fine as-is. 

There's only a certain subset of the population that abuses it and those people will get their kumuppins. I always find it humorous when someone snubs me, especially if it's to get in the last word.
    Comeuppance?

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Iytha said:
    Also worth noting: you need the food.
    Requires no food if you have the cooking trade active.
  • Qistrel said:
    Arcanis said:
    hmm, now @Estarra I know you're a smart person, and I am pretty sure you knew that bringing in the Wonderbelt, after the drama and debates that occurred with introducing the wonderhorn, would surely cause an even bigger uproar this time. So im personally curious as to the decision to bring in another wonder item, when it was clear the playerbase is tired of these crazy treasures that add an already oversaturared element to combat?
    I don't think it was entierly her choice. I'm guessing, but I pretty sure there's pressure from higher ups to keep making wonder items that will actually drive credit sales.
    Well, having a lesson sale (which as has been discussed, doesn't seem worth it) at the same time as a "special currency" sale was probably the ire directive. The specifics of the wonder item would be up to Estarra and the like, mostly because it seems that the other games have different mechanics for theirs. Some are also giving them out for every fifty credits as well.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celina said:
    Comemuppets

I've watched enough videos on the internet to know where this is going.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Celina said:
    Comemuppets

I know he's right, but the disagree button has the appropriate facial expression, and I'm sure as hell not clicking Like.
  • Shaddus said:
    Celina said:
    Comemuppets

Swedish Chef Pöpcørn time?
  • Twytch said:
    Influenced around 30% of Titan today. The trudge continues.

If you think that is a trudge, then dont try getting end-level in a place like Achaea (unless you heavily invest in it). You'll quit the first day.
  • I agree with the one way snub, there is a person who has me snubbed and I've no idea what I even did to piss said person off enough that they wanted to snub me. Only discovered I was snubbed after trying to ask them a question.
  • God damn it, a protege of mine retired and didn't transfer me back my poteen >:|
     Zsavrai - centre of the Necropolis

This person needs to join Ysav'rai.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So crafting here is already really touchy and frustrating with having to submit rejected things on fresh designs for there to be any hope of them getting approved.

But this? This is the most pedantic and ridiculous rejection I've yet to see, and I have no idea what will make you guys happy. 
    Ranah said:
    So crafting here is already really touchy and frustrating with having to submit rejected things on fresh designs for there to be any hope of them getting approved.

But this? This is the most pedantic and ridiculous rejection I've yet to see, and I have no idea what will make you guys happy. 
    Post it and we can try to help.
  • edited February 2016
    Proper grammar, guidelines, and a bucket of your salty tears makes the Mortal Reviewers happy.
  • Examined:
    This blackened iron armband is simple and nondescript, bearing no
    adornments and scuffed from use. It is comprised of four wide segments,
    each attached via iron links.
    Comments:
    The Charites have returned your proposed design for further revisions. See DESIGN LIST <cartel>. The 
    following comments were made regarding the design:
    In line 2 of the Examined, "comprised" should be "composed." Thank you.

That's like telling someone they need to use lilac instead of pale purple. 

• Daraius said:
    the Charites follow specific rules of usage and style
    So could this maybe be catalogued in full somewhere convenient?
  • edited February 2016
    Every source I've looked at has concluded that it is largely a stylistic choice and no one can say WHY it is wrong other than some people don't like it. It is a point of contention that there are different camps that disagree with it, but no diffinitive ruling outside of purists. 

So, if there is a specific camp we're supposed to write within, give a resource, give some context, not just 'use lilac instead of pale purple which are similar and communicate the same concept but are slightly different depending on your specifics."
  • Ranah said:
    Examined:
    This blackened iron armband is simple and nondescript, bearing no
    adornments and scuffed from use. It is comprised of four wide segments,
    each attached via iron links.
    Comments:
    The Charites have returned your proposed design for further revisions. See DESIGN LIST <cartel>. The 
    following comments were made regarding the design:
    In line 2 of the Examined, "comprised" should be "composed." Thank you.

That's like telling someone they need to use lilac instead of pale purple. 

As others have said. It should be composed. It is a subtle difference, comprised speaks of parts of something while composed speaks of what something is made of. Look at how things are defined. Comprised is defined as 'to contain' while composed is 'to make up'. You don't say 'it is contained of ...' you say 'it is made up of..'
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited February 2016
    The way I see it, "comprises" means "contains" or "consists of", so if you say "comprised of" it then becomes "consisted of of" which would be wrong.

Although let's be real, there are approved designs with much more glaring mistakes.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited February 2016
    It's quibbly bullshit for a system that let through a violin that thought it was a viola sometimes and was made out of aborted fetuses. Like, nevermind 'glaring mistakes', there is no high road "well actualllly~" when that design is a thing. 
  • edited February 2016
    Eritheyl said:
    As a note, berating the players who volunteer their time to even potentially approve your shit is not the way to go about this sort of thing.

If you really think you're right, message the Charites. Don't bitch on the forums. Thanks.
    Ranah's design was rejected by the Charities directly (as it says. if the reviewers reject it, it says 'the review panel' or something of that nature unless they have changed things)

edit: Not that really changes your point about messaging the charites. But recently, we have seen how bitching on the forums gets the attention of the admin to things that might have gone unnoticed
  • Eritheyl said:
    As a note, berating the players who volunteer their time to even potentially approve your shit is not the way to go about this sort of thing.

If you really think you're right, message the Charites. Don't bitch on the forums. Thanks.

That's a mod's decision not yours. Making something public that affects everybody is always a good idea. If I can find it, I should post the leather based design that had a good paragraph of rejection based on "him knowing how to make leather armor" iirc. In truth it was an admin, now gone who had an axe to grind and knew my alts. For a solution try resubmitting and making sure you ask for non-mortal reviewers. And Kalnid is right. If there is a common manual of style, like the details of the snub mechanic, it needs to be public.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Kaalak said:

That's a mod's decision not yours.
    Cool bro, thanks for your input.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • You are very welcome!
  • If voicing frustration and disagreement with something = berating, then I'm sorry.

However, this was a Charite rejection, not mortal run of the mill volunteer. It was a straight up 'change stylistic' thing with no context or reference - what camp of literary thought the Charites expect things to be written from for styles that are argued by scholars, or even just "if you want to use comprises, use this phrasing, for your current phrasing use this other word." 

I know you like/defend the system as is, but for me it's really frustrating and unwieldy with the lack of good documentation and what seems like really pedantic rulings, on top of a mechanical limitation that does not seem to actually benefit the game with its population (the 'if you rejected something you can't approve it on resubmission' thing, since mortal reviewers are hand picked and not just a 'pay a fee and sign up' process). 

There isn't a clear place to go for this other than just airing the vent here. I've not heard of any crafter community channel or game-wide clan to ask questions on, just these splintered cartels which don't necessarily have anyone around to help with. 

• edited February 2016
    Eritheyl said:

From my brief time reading over these forums, I would conclude that the majority of what happens here is bitching.

As someone who has worked in similar positions, I don't know that you should continue volunteering if criticism gets you down so easily; especially in a post that involves interacting with a passionate community.

My opinion, of course, is comprised of my own personal feelings and isn't objective at all. It's still a dick move to get a volunteer down.

It's probably a dick move to try and berate anyone, I guess, and I don't think retaliatory bitching is much better than bitching itself.

edit: I just realized that 'Charites' was an admin. I thought it was some kind of player crafting org thing. I'm kind of a noob.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I don't volunteer any longer. And this isn't a 'passionate community', it's a lot of bitches that want to bitch. Myself included.

I'm not going to apologize for calling things as I see them. Bye.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
This discussion has been closed.