Real World Raves

Comments

• Phoebus said:
    Bread bread bread. More bread. I hate the feeling of dough sticking to my hands, but I love to eat bread I made myself. Everyone should make bread. 
    Have you tried stretch-and-fold through the first rise instead of kneading?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited August 2016
    BIG BIG rave.

2 months ago, my fiancee and I made the first big step towards my shifting to the USA, what is known as a 129F petition.  I finally heard back - IT WAS APPROVED *happy dance*

Granted, I still have a long way to go before the visa itself is approved, but one of the biggest hurdles is out of the way (the requirements are quite strict, needed to supply a LOT of proof to show her and I are in an active relationship and have met within the past 2 years for a significant timeframe.)  Next up I need to get a police clearance and medical examination done, then in around 4-6 weeks I will have the big interview at the US consulate. 
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Talan said:
    Phoebus said:
    Bread bread bread. More bread. I hate the feeling of dough sticking to my hands, but I love to eat bread I made myself. Everyone should make bread. 
    Have you tried stretch-and-fold through the first rise instead of kneading?
    Haha yeah, I just always seem to screw up and make my dough way too sticky at first and have to adjust it down to a point where it's not making me weep in gooey agony. My sense for flour-to-water balance is improving though, the dough I was working with yesterday was a lot more cooperative right off the bat.

I really like how easy it is to see where you're improving and where you still need work with bread. I learn a little bit more each time, in a way that is immediately apparent and satisfying, and then I get to eat it afterwards! Truly, all hobbies should have edible results.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Or you could use bread that doesn't need kneading: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

The lazy college version of that recipe is to dump everything inside a pot, mix vigorously, wait overnight, and just shove it into the oven. The lidless bake stage requires more time if you do that, but it works. Does stick to the side of the pot very much after it's done, though.

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • edited August 2016
    Distant Worlds is coming.  <3<3<3<3<3<3

Sylvanas said:
    @Phoebus I mean this in the most loving way possible:
    Hah. I assume these sorts of things were made sarcastically, and probably there are people who would roll their eyes at the fact that I treat "cooked food by myself and it turned out nice" as an achievement, but I don't care, I'd rather be happy with the fact that I'm trying and succeeding. Heck yes I'll choose to unironically celebrate basic competence. :+1:  It's better than hating myself all the time.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I have been driving and driving and driving all week, and my back and my neck remember exactly how long I have been doing it. Y'all better appreciate the people in your life who help you move places.

Here's the rave: it's done. I'm a homebody until further notice, aka Monday.  B)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Rancoura said:
    @Dylara and @Lyora are awesome ladies :smiley:
    Woo! 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I made croissants. Butterdough is a pain to work, but the rewards are oh so fluffeh.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • House sitting is usually a pretty nice gig, but this past week has been so gross, wet, and hot I have never been more happy to be done. You know what I'm doing tomorrow? Not getting up at 6 a.m. to walk a fusspot dog, that's what. :D
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Dark launching a back-end service related to our payment providers at work. Super stressful (if something goes wrong we lose millions) but catering today is sushi and our boss is taking us out for drinks and a puzzle room later this week if we don't flub up. Motivation! But seriously, days like this are the best work days, even if I won't be home until who knows when :p
    After months of my brain refusing to let me draw anything, I managed to put a very rough, unfinished sketch of Baiken in my sketchbook. There are so many problems with it, but it exists, so I'm happy. Hopefully this is a sign I'm recovering from this slump and not just an anomaly.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Because our couch was starting to break and our venerable Dumpster Chair was finally having trouble keeping up, we bought a recliner and a reclining couch.

I don't care what else is going on in my life right now, for the next few hours, life is goooooooood.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Okay, no more fear. Plunging through my project recklessly, and instead of thinking in terms of 'what do people expect me to do' I'm doing whatever I am most compelled to do. It beats being paralyzed into doing nothing.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Someone hacked a test server so today has been hellish. Remoted in before I even showered and now I've been neck deep in work since I got in - 3pm and haven't even had lunch yet :(

BUT ALL IS WELL because when I got in I discovered that over the weekend we got a new water dispenser with SPARKLING WATER as an option. I have no idea why but this has made my month.
  • I haven't noticed it myself, but others have commented on me losing weight and looking slimmer. Even though I don't feel any lighter, it still makes me feel a little good about myself.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Change blindness is a cruel mistress. It's hard to notice any gradual change, and God knows I fall prey to that a lot myself and end up feeling frustrated at lack of progress. Stick with it though, it's great news that you're reaching your goals!
  • Lehki said:
    I got an extra chicken nugget in the box when I got fast food today. Sometimes it's the little things
    I wont lie, that would make my day too.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Hooray!
  • Dylara said:
    I got the job. :) happy emoticonhappy smiley emoticon
    So we have a positive and negative between you and Cyndarin. Based on the law of averages that means I'm left hanging forever.

Damn.