Real World Raves

Comments

• I officially applied for a transfer back to Texas.

Cue stress and anxiety.
  • I officially applied for a transfer back to Texas.

Cue stress and anxiety.

You mean BBQ and hush puppies.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Salome said:

I officially applied for a transfer back to Texas.

Cue stress and anxiety.

Wait...are hush puppies a Texas thing? I didn't really eat hush puppies.
  • Salome said:

I officially applied for a transfer back to Texas.

Cue stress and anxiety.

Wait...are hush puppies a Texas thing? I didn't really eat hush puppies.
    I would consider them a 'southern' thing. But I love hush puppies. Every five or six years or so. :(
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's more a South thing than a Texas/Southwest thing - someone who has lived a while both places.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Are hush puppies really just... deep-fried batter? /:)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    No - deep fried freedom

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2016
    Every culinary culture has some form of fried dough. Hushpuppies are fried cornbread balls you feed to your dogs to keep them quiet. ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2016
    Daraius said:

Every culinary culture has some form of fried dough. Hushpuppies are fried cornbread balls you feed to your dogs to keep them quite happy. ;;)

FTFY
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Omg I love hushpuppies. So delicious.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I was SO confused. Hush Puppies in Australia are a brand of shoes. Much wtf.

• Lavinya said:

I only know them as shoes too. :-/

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    They are also shoes in 'Murica, we just love being confusing.
  • Americans are just so weird. I cannot even with you guys sometimes, and you give us grief for PERFECTLY LOGICAL THINGS, OKAY.
    Wildeflower Aramel Strongleaf says to Xiran, "My cousin's attitude to life is rather like her attitude towards cake - to have everything, and at once, and lots of it."
  • Unlike in Australia, we have time to make delicious food here in America, as we are not constantly running for our lives from the wildlife.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Fried dough and similar things are not exactly weird. It is pretty oldschool these days. Heck, even fried oreos / cheesecake / pickles have been around for years. Fried beer? That showed up a couple years ago. There is a restaurant (at least one) that will fry anything that's edible for you (pizza? Done. Sandwich? Sure! Candy? Cool. Some random thing? Why not?).

We are moving into Fair-season again, so we will get to see what the new fried craze is this year. Just googled it, apparently August 28th is when the Texas State Fair announces their finalists.
  • Texas State Fair: Come for the fried foods, leave because the hillbillies stare at gay people.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Deep fried lard.
  • Luce said:

Deep fried lard.

So I recently made jjajangmyeon with deep-fried lardons, because I lacked pork belly and had to use a leaner cut of pork. Jjajangmyeon absolutely requires the fat content in the pork belly in order for the sauce to turn out right, so yeah... deep fried pork fat.

Not exactly the same as deep fried lard, since lard pigs produce a much different sort of fat. But pretty close.

• Less than three hours and I have three days off, thus concluding my crazy busy weekend since I worked Saturday and Sunday, had the boyfriend visit Sunday night and spent all day Monday visiting family.

I am one sleepy person, three days of sleep and relaxation (I hope).

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Dylara said:

Lavinya said:

I only know them as shoes too. :-/

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ugh, yuck, what a bad color for underpants. They look like they've come pre-soiled for the convenience of those with poor personal hygiene.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    You heathens.

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I have an interview on Tuesday, it's the office I used to work in but a different department (though they work in the same room). If I get it, it's a 1 year contract. Eeee. If not, I'm getting interviews, eeee!

• Lavinya said:

They're shoes and purses here. Not whatever that weird deep fried thing is.

Do you guys seriously have to deep fry everything?
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • edited August 2016
    Is that a real question?

• edited August 2016
    If you want a more comprehensive list:

http://bigtex.com/food/choiceawards/