Real World Raves

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Technically, the election won't be over until  the electors in each state vote on December 19, and the results read aloud at the Joint Session of Congress on January 6.

Yes, we have a complicated system.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Short of a candidate being incarcerated or assassinated though, the votes cast today should decide the issue. Thank God.
    It's actually kind of amazing how many contingency plans are in place in case elections don't go smoothly. Many of them have never had to be used, but they're in place anyway. I was fascinated reading about how the electoral college works, and what happens if no candidate receives the necessary 270 electoral votes.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Everiine said:
    It's actually kind of amazing how many contingency plans are in place in case elections don't go smoothly. Many of them have never had to be used, but they're in place anyway. I was fascinated reading about how the electoral college works, and what happens if no candidate receives the necessary 270 electoral votes.
    Is the contingency plan "switch to a sane system"? Cause in that case, I'd happily vote for a third-party candidate (if I were a US citizen)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    It goes to the US Senate, for those who don't know, where a Senate vote determines who wins. At this point, it's usually an entirely political decision, and the last time this happened was Hayes? I can't even begin to predict how the current Senate would vote.
  • To be fair, much of the insanity that is associated with the US Presidential election is just a byproduct of various things, the 24-hour Media Cycle being a major contributor.

There are plenty of flaws with our system of electing public officials, but it's in place the way it is due to plenty of debate and compromise along the way.

CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and their ilk weren't brought on by debate and compromise. They were forced down upon us by our corporate overlords! :P

Actually, if neither candidate wins 270 electoral votes, the House of Representatives votes for the President. But each representative doesn't get a vote--each state delegation as a whole gets one vote. The Senate votes separately for the vice-president, one vote per senator. The fact that for president, the states have to vote as a delegation and not as individuals, adds an extra twist to the process.

• I have to say this election has spawned some excellent memes in the last day or so. Thanks for keeping me amused (I am also amused by indignation that I dare be interested in the election as a non-american by some folks on facebook).

Seriously glad to see the end of this election, boggles my mind how you guys manage having such a long campaign period!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• To be fair, the system is doing exactly what the founding fathers intended for it to do - preventing, at every step of the process, the rabble from directly electing officials. Technically we pick our leaders, but they didn't trust the masses, hence this convoluted system.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Dylara said:
    I have to say this election has spawned some excellent memes in the last day or so. Thanks for keeping me amused (I am also amused by indignation that I dare be interested in the election as a non-american by some folks on facebook).

Seriously glad to see the end of this election, boggles my mind how you guys manage having such a long campaign period!
    That's all my boyfriend can comment on, haha. "How can you Americans deal with this long of a campaign period? How do you stand it?"
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Breandryn said:
    To be fair, the system is doing exactly what the founding fathers intended for it to do - preventing, at every step of the process, the rabble from directly electing officials. Technically we pick our leaders, but they didn't trust the masses, hence this convoluted system.
    And it used to be even worse. Back when the states were founded, the idea of the sovereignty of the state (not the people in it) was even stronger. Many states didn't even have a popular vote. Many state legislatures elected the electors.

• Sylandra said:
    Dylara said:
    I have to say this election has spawned some excellent memes in the last day or so. Thanks for keeping me amused (I am also amused by indignation that I dare be interested in the election as a non-american by some folks on facebook).

That's all my boyfriend can comment on, haha. "How can you Americans deal with this long of a campaign period? How do you stand it?"
    Canada just had its longest election  in.. I don't even know how long, and it was awful. This has been building longer and man how are you guys no sick of it? Lol

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

I'm curious, since I've been reading up on the electoral college system and the history of elections in the United States, do other countries have weird/odd provisions in how elections are handled, or how representatives are chosen?

• Well, there you have it folks.

• Yea there's a fair few countries that have required opposition or ethnic based positions. 
  • Australia is a bit interesting but it's mostly because people believe that we vote for our prime minister. They don't change very often... except in the last ten years, but ultimately it's just whoever has the most support from the reps. Conventions are also kinda weird I guess? Australia is a monarchy. So like technically, the queen appoints our PMs/ministers, calls our elections, declares war for us, gives permission for laws and stuff. It's convention that her reps, the governors, act on the advice of the relevant parliament but they legally don't have to and in some cases haven't or have done something different instead.
  • I was bummed last night and went to bed early. My boyfriend has been texting me pictures each hour today to keep me cheered up of cute puppies, kitties, otters and octopi!!!

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I swear to God chicken soup is a secret recipe for a potion of lesser Restoration.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I've been talking with people and I'm feeling so much more optimistic about life in general. My new job starts in 9 days, and I get to look forward to insurance, more money than I've ever known what to do with (I get to buy new, cute clothes!), and finally getting out of retail. Sure, I'm still technically customer service, but I won't have to interact with people any more than I do in Lusternia, through text. I'll get to colour my hair again, and everyone at the office I'll be working in has been super nice and they were thrilled when I showed up at the interview for the job I got, the receptionist remembered me and everything. The people at Domino's are so excited for me, and my general manager is doubly happy that I told him I'd like to keep a few small shifts because I like them. 

Things are tough, but it's looking like I'll be in a better place to take care of myself, since my support network is 10/10 and I'll be able to focus on myself and look into getting therapy and medication that I'm realising I desperately need. All the people who regularly interact with me through Lusty, both IC and OOC have understood and have stayed by me, and I feel very blessed to have you guys. Thank you so much, especially @Portius. I don't know what I would do without someone so calm and level headed.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • @Tremula It's so empowering when you get out of one of those ruts. There's still shit to deal with but you're in a poisition where you can actually deal with it. I don't know if I could have got out of my rut without subsidised meds and counselling but you've done an amazing job.
  • The hostel has quite good free WLAN...and a room where I can drink as much tea, water or coffee as I want....and it has cute 1,40m beds with curtains.

Only downside is, that I always forget something while travelling....in this case PJs...and it's a Sunday evening so no chance to buy some <.<
    Raves for @Falmiis and @Synkarin cracking me up tonight. Also for Fantasy Football. Which has been absurdly fun and I'm glad I've been roped into it. (PS: @Phoebus is unstoppable.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    You can use Falmiis to try and trashtalk me anyday, but much like your trashtalking, you will still lose.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    I look forward to the sting of your bitter, salty tears. :3
    Daraius said:
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Facebook ads gave me something cool for once.

@Siam
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I have a brand new series of tubes in my house.

Hello again, internet!

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."