Artifact Ideas

Comments

• Well, CGT reaches across all planes, dunno if that was mentioned.

• Breandryn said:
    Well potionlist was just an example. Learning planar is another one - you have to invest lessons just to properly use CT or GT. You have to invest lessons just to have the full social part of the game unlocked.

Think how that sounds to new players.

It's probably best to move this to its own topic because it's pretty far reaching, but one thing that could be a focus for this particular quote is moving the onus more onto the experienced players.

Adding in a lesser version of omniscience into demipowers could help out those who want to be helping out novices. Creating rewarding minigames that are easy to stop and start that might encourage people to stay closer to prime or even log on for longer periods. Which in turn could lessen the need felt by novices to have those abilities
  • edited January 2017
    Breandryn said:
    Well potionlist was just an example. Learning planar is another one - you have to invest lessons just to properly use CT or GT. You have to invest lessons just to have the full social part of the game unlocked.

Think how that sounds to new players.
    As a new player, I will tell you that this is the most off-putting thing about your game.

Even when it isn't true (because the website is saying that 80 people are on), the impression that I get about the game is that it's -empty-. No one is on any of my channels, no one is available to talk to about questions, and there are only ever maybe 15 people in the entire world visible on WHO. It's a very isolating experience.

That said, I have met some great people here that have made me want to stick around. My opinion is simply that someone should rethink (or just remove) all the offplane and cloaking gem mechanics that make the game seem perpetually like a ghost town.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Some of us like being ghosts. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • CWHO and GWHO should probably just be upgraded to show offplane people. Cloaking gems don't affect those anyways, so planes shouldn't either. There's enough room next to the CT (on|off) column to put a PLANE (on|off) to show if they're on the same plane as you.

Cloaking Gems themselves are a bit trickier, since they provide a real value, just not to making the game seem populated. And since I just got one, I really don't want it taken away. Maybe they could be changed so they work the exact same off-prime (removed from QW|BW|WHO|CLWHO|etc entirely) but on-prime you show on the various QW|BW|RW|CLWHOs that never show location anyways, and on WHO proper you simply always just show your title, even with thirdeye on? It seems like that would solve the ghost-town problem, since Prime would never seem desolate unless everyone is actually off prime, but it would still provide the main value - on prime you can't be found by WHO and thirdeye, and off-prime it's still like you're not there.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Cloaking gems should just mask your location from qwho, they shouldn't remove your name entirely.

Removing your name entirely is a nice luxury in a game like Achaea, but Achaea has more active players on at 3am than Lusternia gets at prime time. It's big enough to deal with the fact that its upper crust doesn't show up on who. A small game like Lusternia or Imperian doesn't have that luxury, though. They don't have enough players to go around hiding them.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maybe cloaking gems should only work off-prime.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Dylara said:
    I would be very sad if my gem no longer hid me on prime, making it so an enemy has to scry (or the like) me to find me is the main reason I bought it. The people who need me (newbies) can see me on CW/GW anyways since I'm rarely off prime. I would strongly prefer we just showed all online people and what plane they were on on CW/GW instead of nerfing the gem. Gemmed people still count on the QW count, we just count as off-prime folks.
    This. And a waste of my 400 credits. :(
  • Dylara said:
    I would be very sad if my gem no longer hid me on prime, making it so an enemy has to scry (or the like) me to find me is the main reason I bought it. The people who need me (newbies) can see me on CW/GW anyways since I'm rarely off prime. I would strongly prefer we just showed all online people and what plane they were on on CW/GW instead of nerfing the gem. Gemmed people still count on the QW count, we just count as off-prime folks.
    The gem should still hide your location. It just shouldn't completely remove you from the qw list. The count is basically meaningless, because "48 players who might as well not exist as far as you are concerned" isn't functionally different from "0 players" from the perspective of a new player.
  • edited January 2017
    Karsav said:
    Dylara said:
    The gem should still hide your location. It just shouldn't completely remove you from the qw list. The count is basically meaningless, because "48 players who might as well not exist as far as you are concerned" isn't functionally different from "0 players" from the perspective of a new player.
    You know the gem can be turned on and off, right? Some people just like to stay hidden! I know that's not nice on a new-persons view, but like others have said, if they're on Prime, then they still show up on CWHO/GWHO/CGWHO if they're a teacher in the collegium etc.

EDIT: Corrected spelling, still possible mistakes.

2nd EDIT: It would be nice, however, if like Stratas said: Stratas :
    CWHO and GWHO should probably just be upgraded to show offplane people. Cloaking gems don't affect those anyways, so planes shouldn't either. There's enough room next to the CT (on|off) column to put a PLANE (on|off) to show if they're on the same plane as you.

• Karsav said:
    Dylara said:
    Knowing if someone is on prime or not is important for any sort of offensive thing (domoths, possible raids, etc).  Finding out a person's location isn't hard (as a number of scrying things can tell you there), but it has a cost to it. The point of the gem is to remove your name from the non-org who lists.

As I don't play other IRE games, do people just raid places regardless of who is online or not? Over here, knowing if X people is online and on prime decides it for some people.

That said, and I realize I haven't been a new player in a long while, what do you think when you see that (20 people onprime and) 50 people are offprime, why do you think they 'don't exist'? Instead of seeing the total of '70 people online right now'
  • Ayisdra said:
    Karsav said:
    Dylara said:
    Knowing if someone is on prime or not is important for any sort of offensive thing (domoths, possible raids, etc).  Finding out a person's location isn't hard (as a number of scrying things can tell you there), but it has a cost to it. The point of the gem is to remove your name from the non-org who lists.

As I don't play other IRE games, do people just raid places regardless of who is online or not? Over here, knowing if X people is online and on prime decides it for some people.

That said, and I realize I haven't been a new player in a long while, what do you think when you see that (20 people onprime and) 50 people are offprime, why do you think they 'don't exist'? Instead of seeing the total of '70 people online right now'
    There's also the continent limit on who, which can be potentially handy for people trying to do stuff outside the basin.

Though, do we need to touch who is cwho and gwho show everyone regardless of distance if they're in your org? There doesn't seem like there's much of a difference.

Though would adding continent be useful? Like if you're on the same plane then instead of their plane you see their continent.
  • I like the flavour of ctells and planar distance. And I don't think gems should change where qwho is concerned. But cwho and gwho, yeah, it needs to be made visible with a parenthesis showing the plane the person is on. If anything, it would help heighten the sense of flavour about planar distance.

• Whats difference between qwho and who?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Whats difference between qwho and who?
    Qw, or quick who, just shows the names of people on your plane and a count. Who showas a list of names, plus titles, and if you have third eye,  where they are.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Aethernexus Module - 500 credits.

People in the room with the module may link to it to draw power, like an actual nexus. Each link draws four power from a random collector on the ship. The pilot may spend an amount of power to cause anyone who dies aboard the ship to conglute at the ship's nexus, lasts for one hour.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Wand of Illusions
       - This wand allows the casting of the basic illusion spell by
         anyone. However, the equilibrium time for casting by a
         non-illusionist is longer than that of the standard illusion
         spell. In the hands of an illusionist, however, the casting time
         is shorter than normal.
    I know this was an old auction artifact, but can we get a wand that we can do improved illusions with? Give it a long balance time so it's not viable to use in combat, I love using illusions for RP.
  • Sylandra said:
    Some of us like being ghosts. :(
    Then learn necromancy.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited January 2017
    1) Artifacts that you can put things into and will count as if they are being WIELDed by me (does not work for weapons / shields).
    2) Artifact that lets you select a tradeskill that is gated on having certain prerequisite skill(s).  Could just make the game think that you have these skills at 0% inept, if that is the easiest way to do it.
    3) Artifact that lets the user keep switching their wonderitems as much as they want instead of 1x per day, until something is found that is liked-- also allows the user to save 1 description per wonderitem (so can always go back to the one you liked the most).
  • EMP rune - this artifact doubles the rate at which your power is restored from your reserves and once per RL day allows you to draw a burst from your reserves to to restore you immediately to 10 power, provided you have enough in your reserves to draw to 10.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Aetheric Lockbox - stores artifacts and allows you to enjoy their effects as though they are in your inventory/worn.
  • edited January 2017
    Gem of Powermastery

- Allows user to transfer power to the gem from personal reserves
    - Power can be drained from gem to a city nexus
    - Power can be drained from gem to another player (like energylink without the waste)

Maybe include a gold sink option for players to buy power for absurd amounts of money. Think of the whole market this could create! People farming power to sell (mostly to @Lavinya).
  • A uniweapon that transforms into your current class's weapon (in a way that allows all weapons to be customizable and that can share a single shield/grip rune) or bashing weapons (like whips)...

Enchantment item that allows you to store all the enchantments in one place (instead of being spread out on jewelry).
    Or an all in one item that has all of the enchantments on it that doesn't consume charges when you activate an enchantment.

• Bauble of the Curio Collector: Decreases the chance of rubbing common curios into goop by 50%. Decreases the chance of rubbing rare curios into two normal curios by 50%.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Wtf you guys, a lot of these ideas are literally just QoL improvements that should just be coded into the game.

We need more combat-worthy stuff like:
    -artiesigils
    -wonderitem cooldown refresher artie
    -telescope that gives you hints on when the next revolt/flare/nodes comes, give or take