Lusternian Divine AMA

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Gurashi said:
    Noted! Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I am curios - I have read/heard that Mysrai had a different appearance, originally (unless I'm totally wrong). Is this true? And if so what spurred the Anubis-like appearance they are rocking currently? 
    Mysrai is a shapeshifter, yes, as seen in the Book of Igaso (commented down below for ease of not-googling/clicking links. While it may seem like a random one to pick out for aesthetic reasons, this form is incredibly steeped in lore that I cannot wait for people to advance far enough to discover - heartbreaking, awe-inspiring, and just a little bit terrifying. I can say with no spoilers and absolute certainty that it was Their travel, wherever They were, that caused this Aspect to rear its fluffy head.

- @Ayisdra

Coming up with new forms is a very interesting process simply because of the amount of freedom and creativity Mysrai has. Due to the uniqueness They present, there is almost an "anything goes" style of liberties you can take. For the Shofet, the first part of creation was determining the name - it went through a lot of iterations where I toyed with using titles closer to Pharaoh, but I felt these were TOO regal for what This Aspect intended. After a bit of research and talking with some friends who are well-versed in Hebrew, they helped me choose Shofet, which (as Shulamit has pointed out) is the "judge" from the book of Judges, and carries with it a sense of divine authority and destructive wrath, along with powers that cross normal well-defined lines. Really perfect for Mysrai!

I'm unsure about retiring any of the Aspects, but I do know that some are less likely to be seen than others, and most all of these are dependent entirely on how the story goes. The Doom of Spires, for example, is less likely to see the world, as is the Manifold Adjudicator.

Second was Mysrai of the Mysterium. We were never sure of Mysrai’s true form, for Mysrai changed gender, weight and height as though they were clothes. The only constant were Mysrai’s eyes which were always enormous pools of darkness within which flickered a field of shifting constellations, as though you were looking into the vastness of space. Rumour had it that Mysrai wasn’t even a stargod, but rather was one of the ancient primal gods who had the ability to change shape. I recall asking Mysrai once what his or her true form was, but Mysrai only laughed and said, in that weird, echoing voice, that any who saw the true form of Mysrai went mad. For the Triumvirate, Mysrai appeared to be a short, shapely female with long aubergine hair tied back in a fierce knot, and swathed in a robe that shifted from colour to colour.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • Petition to make the eggplant (aubergine) the official vegetable of Mysrai's Order.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Mysrai said:

The Doom of Spires, for example, is less likely to see the world

Well that's good.  :#
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    Mysrai said:

The Doom of Spires, for example, is less likely to see the world

Well that's good.  :#
    And all you had to pay was the canine god being in your opposing city! ;)
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • This one is for any Divine who wants to answer. What is your favorite event, area, or NPC (not necessarily your own but could be) and why.
  • Gods who have joined in the last ...year or two, was your current org your first choice? If not, what was, and why?
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • Do you ever have an ephemeral take on a God role... but then change their mind after a while of playing and wish they had taken another role? Do you allow your Divine players an option for changing if they're (god forbid) absolutely miserable or uninspired? 
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• Gurashi said:
    Do you ever have an ephemeral take on a God role... but then change their mind after a while of playing and wish they had taken another role? Do you allow your Divine players an option for changing if they're (god forbid) absolutely miserable or uninspired? 
    Yes, people can and have changed role if they've discovered their god isn't a fit anymore! It's not something we let people do lightly - it's as rigorous as process as taking up a role in the first place is - but it does happen.
    Art by the wonderful Gurashi.
  • Aonia said:
    Unfortunately, answering that question is going to be quite loaded both for us and you. It's very difficult for any of us to answer the question without leaving either one organisation feeling rubbish they missed out, or the organisation we are in feeling bad that they weren't our first choice.

When people come up to the Havens, they do so with a huge variety of thoughts about their chosen god role and corresponding organisation. Some come up with no idea at all, some come up with an idea of themes, some come up with a corner of lore they love - very, very few come up with a definite role they want to go to that they then stick to the whole time. As a result, the vast majority of ephemerals go through phases of being interested in a variety of organisations. That journey is a wonderful thing to watch.

So in that sense, no one goes to their first choice, because their first choice is almost never their final choice. And that final choice is what matters most - volunteers being happy where they are has a strong impact on how productive they are and how long they remain.
    I more or less expected this answer, and I understand.  
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited December 2019
    Choros said:
    Gods who have joined in the last ...year or two, was your current org your first choice? If not, what was, and why?
    I'll actually give an odd answer to this one, even though I fall out of your criteria (3 years ago). I never joined the Havens intending to be an Anomaly, and explicitly said in my application that I wanted a godrole, being open to almost any org. I didn't really want to even become a coder at first even - I wanted to take the standard builder route most gods take. The only reason I'm an anomaly at all is because of an odd chain of events involving me almost quitting the ephemeral process halfway through, becoming a coder, and Iosai stepping down near the end of my time as an ephemeral.

Uzriel said:
    This one is for any Divine who wants to answer. What is your favorite event, area, or NPC (not necessarily your own but could be) and why.
    NPC: This is a tough one. Given divine priests get fleshed out so much more than other NPCs, it's hard not to pick them, and I really have to say it's a tossup between Sebitti and Ruin for me.
    Area: Meliashmora. I just like the atmosphere really - plus the fact that the entire quest is designed as a theatre performance is amazing.
    Events: Lovers. Black Sun. Guild reformation (though I prefer some orgs more than others here admittedly, but I won't say which).
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Uzriel said:
    This one is for any Divine who wants to answer. What is your favorite event, area, or NPC (not necessarily your own but could be) and why.
    NPC: Gorky Hardbottom - because he's Glomdoring's true patron.
    Area: Crumkindivia - for the Doughboy Monstrosity
    Event: The False Gods and the Dreaming - I loved the opening script for it where we had all the Elders and Estarra gobbled up by the Soulless.
  • This isn't meant to get details and particulars, but generally speaking, how did everyone successfully say good-bye to their mortal characters? That's always felt like the hardest thing lots of potential volunteers would have to do, letting go of their babies.
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • Uzriel said:
    Most of the obviously favorited NPC's I've never heard of, in my little tainted Mag bubble. But what I am getting out of this is that I clearly need to quest in Meliashmora.
    Same. I've spent a long time avoiding learning quest things - they're my weakness. I've been better since a certain NPC scolded me about a particular quest though.

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• Do any of the Divine ever get bored and submit public designs for mortal use?
  • Do any of the Divine ever get bored and submit public designs for mortal use?
    As much as we'd like to sometimes, no, we don't allow divine to submit designs for mortal use. The exception is new templates when we release them, which we try to keep generic-ish.

We do often design things for guildhalls or events however, and very occasionally just for ourselves (I have a few designs sitting in the divine cartels just rotting because I needed to get them out).
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Two questions, for any who want to answer:

Which of the Divine keep a clean versus cluttered inventory?

And also what do the Divine do with all the gifts given to them? (i.e. paintings and food)

pronouns: they/them
  • This may have been asked before, but if we wanted to ask an NPC a more detailed lore question, what's the best way to do?
  • Aonia said:
    The vast majority of what she (and her priests) are given is deleted. Otherwise her inventory would be full of macarons.

You mean Ruin doesn't actually eat handfuls of macarons at once? :D