General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I got a fabulous coffee grinder for Christmas and then broke my French press this morning while the beans were grinding.  =((
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Not sure "dissatisfaction" is the word for this, however, I've debated for some time whether I was going to write this or not, but now it's just therapeutic to get it off my chest. I've been in an absolute pissy mood now for several months, and while I can't justify taking it out on people, I can explain at least why.

A bit of backstory first, my Dad had a series of strokes that started in August 2001 that continued through to Easter the year afterwards, along with developing MS, this took him from being physically active on an every day basis to permanently disabled from the waist down and in a wheelchair, needless to say this was a huge hit to his outlook on life.

He'd remarried the year before, and in his early days of hospitalisation and mobility, left the finances entirely in his wife's charge, an arrangement that continued on afterwards, he looked after the home once he learned to get around (or at least the downstairs of it, he hasn't seen the upstairs in 11 years.) the house and the village he lives in.

There were always worrying signs, she was asking different family members to borrow money which we never knew about each other, and Dad never knew about any of it, borrowing and debt was never something he ever got into. Yet at the same time they were always spending, holidays, Christmases, trips out. We knew Dad had income from his work pension due to retirement, as well as benefits for his health problems, when she lost her job through redundancy it was the main income of the house for quite a long time.

Fast forward to this year, and my Dad became more despondent whenever we talked, I missed his 60th birthday meal due to transport being shut down by a blizzard that lasted 2-3 days, and instead spent the week with him afterwards, and he never wanted to talk about how he felt or what was on his mind. Then at the end of July when I was at my Mum's for a local event we got a call off my Brother. Dad and his wife had gone out to a BBQ the day before and come home arguing, she'd walked out the house and the last anyone had seen of him was him going out into the street asking her to come back and talk. He was found when she returned home lunchtime the next day, having overdosed on his medication. He was in a coma for three days, but that entire time we had no idea when he'd actually wake up, in the meantime truths started coming out, I'd learned she'd been having an affair and everyone local knew, he'd written a suicide note which she hid from us and told us an extremely cut down version to not implicate herself in any wrongdoing or what he wanted doing with his property.

The day after he came to, she told him she was leaving him. My Mum helped my Brother clean the house up for my Dad's return home, when they got upstairs (which looked an absolute shit hole where her son was living, who wasn't paying rent despite Dad being told otherwise) they found unpaid bills totalling up to several thousand pounds on utility and the mortgage and final warnings and court summons coming in. She'd taken the money he'd intended to be put aside to pay for everything, and spent it on luxury and frivolity, in short she'd used my Dad like a rich girl uses her Daddy's credit card, and was leaving home now she'd maxed the thing out. Shortly after he came home, she issued divorce papers on grounds of his behaviour and went in for half the house.

I'll note that house he bought after my parents divorced in 1993, and bought himself off his own money long before she came into the picture, she had her own place she'd conveniently sold to her daughter months before.

So my Dad came home, and was given someone from the local council as support, not for his mental health, but to help pay his bills after he'd been to court. Meanwhile he was still in love with his wife despite everything she'd done, and just wanted to talk to her, she refused his phonecalls and changed her number, he'd go in his wheelchair several miles to the school where she worked and she'd avoid him. This went on for a few months (not that anyone actually told me until early October, but hey) until I was going to go down and spend time with him, while my Brother and his partner stayed with my Mum for a week for a break. The day this was decided (mid October) on details however my Dad had written a note to which my Brother and I have never seen, left his back door unlocked and open, and taken the several mile journey to the school where she worked, he then proceeded to stab her several times before turning the blade on himself.

The first we knew of this was the local paper (who has been nothing more than a festering boil of raw shit constantly digging this story up with nothing articles when there's been nothing to write for a good couple of months, with inaccurate details to boot) reporting a stabbing online, before the police had even been to notify my Brother. My Dad was in a coma again for several days, he didn't actually wake up out of it before his wife was discharged and home, that's the last we know of her, she's out and about and walking in the village but neither my Brother or I have seen her. When my Dad came too his speech was entirely slurred, he had no movement in his limbs and he could only respond in one word answers, he'd had another stroke.

However we only learned that through nurses when my Brother was requested by the hospital to take his medication, once he came to, he was under arrest and in police custody in the hospital, for nearly a month none of us could see him, speak to him or ask about his condition, even face to face with the staff who knew who we were. Eventually it was clear he wasn't a threat to anyone, even himself, and he was given conditional bail (not allowed to leave the hospital, which isn't a problem because he can't leave his bed without help) and his condition improved. He could converse properly, he regained motion in his upper right side, but his left arm was still having problems, and still is to this day.

Recently he was given two pieces of news, his older (by 4 years) Brother passed away from lung cancer, he'd only been diagnosed in August, and that he was being charged with attempted murder. While the police and the hospital could provide provisions for him to be there, the combination of both, his condition and medication/physio was leaving him exhausted, and he simply didn't have the strength to be there. For me as a kid, my Dad was the toughest man I knew, he'd taught me how to play golf, and forgot I was left handed right up until the point he took a 7 iron to the face which broke his nose, he got up and walked home with me and drove himself to the hospital bleeding the whole time.

But I also remember him being a kind, thoughtful and conversing man, and the events of the past few years, and especially everything that has come to light has broken the man I grew up admiring. Not a day goes by where I haven't found myself feeling shit over it at some point, and a fair few hours of sleep simply haven't come. Quite frankly this has been (outside this game, you guys are awesome) the worst year I've had by any considerable length, and I'm about to head off and spend a couple of days seeing my family, before flying away to Oslo to be with friends and drink the rest of it away.

I thought I'd write this after Christmas had passed so I didn't depress the shit out of anyone, but if you've had a bad year this year, I know how you feel. Here's to 2014.

Happy new year folks.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

-.- typical.

The galeforce going through the area right now means it's not safe for us to even drive out the valley, let alone the rest of the way south. So I'm around for one day more it seems.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I never would have guessed any of that, and I don't know what to say. Hoping that you can get see your friends and family soon, and that the new year is better.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I would feel bad liking that post, so I'll just say hope this year is better for you man.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Good grief, that must have been awful and nothing you could do, either. Have a better new year.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Little bit of dissatisfaction...one word to sum it up.

Holidays. 

Stop existing :-w
  • Had my first experience with a neti pot today.

I'm convinced they were invented by a guard at Guantanamo Bay.
    Stangmar - Retired

edited December 2013
    I don't expect this forum to have many F1 fans, but my my childhood hero on the track had a serious accident skiing yesterday and is in a very bad way right now.

Come on Schumi, keep pushing.

• Stangmar said:
    Had my first experience with a neti pot today.

Hold your head forward enough and breathe through your mouth. If not, yes then it is sort of like self-inflicted waterboarding. Done well it does really clean the crap out of your nose and sinuses. I personally just seek my relief in breathing essential oils as I don't own one. 

Also, @Morkarion, many many hugs and you really deserve a better 2014 :( 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Morkarion said:
    I don't expect this forum to have many F1 fans, but my my childhood hero on the track had a serious accident skiing yesterday and is in a very bad way right now. Come on Schumi, keep pushing.
    I'm not into F1, but I am somewhat of a car guy and I heard the news yesterday.  I really hope he pulls through.  

Stangmar - Retired

• Lying in a dark cold meadow, about to be dragged over it by a bunch of cub scouts whose task it is to 'rescue' me. Though they seem to have gotten lost, since they didn't show up yet. I'm starting to freeze... @ Mork: also hugs from me. I wish you a better 2014
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    edited December 2013
    Having to keep secrets. I hate it.
  • Colds suck.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited December 2013
    Stuck with no internet access until january 4th, got paid this morning and went to the landlords office expecting to be able to top up my account only to find he left earlier than advertised originally.

Am not the only person irritated by this - know of a few other people in the building who can not pay other bills that were due. They plan to contest any late fees they may get due to his not being there as advertised.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • My blender broke D:

Now I can't make cheeze sauce ):
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Zouviqil said:
    Having to keep secrets. I hate it.
    There, there. To ease your mind just whisper it in my ear. Don't worry, I can keep a secret.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Stangmar said:

My wife swears by those things, but I refuse to even try it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Shaddus said:
    Stangmar said:

My wife swears by those things, but I refuse to even try it.
    I've heard they're really not all that good for you at all in the long run...but yeah. I would never.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I've seen enough House to see where this is going...
  • RIP Uncle Phil, you were the best father figure on TV.

Stangmar - Retired

Been through large international airports three times this week. Only now do I think about turning streetpass on on my 3ds.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Yet another year rolls past and still the same stuff that's been going on. At least I got my anger management under some control, but... eh well, welcome to depression week being that it is another birthday that I just don't feel like celebrating and will be forced to celebrate with relatives that don't understand the meaning of the word no.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • My government is burning books

http://boingboing.net/2014/01/04/canadian-libraricide-tories-t.html

What? Just... KJDFKJFDSKJGajdkgaskdjgaskdgjJSGfjd;fh
  • Who reads anyways? 
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Ardmore said:
    Who reads anyways? 
    Clearly none of us.
  • I am beyond furious and disappointed with Chicago Public Schools. Your solution to the weather is to open 90 minutes early, are you insane? My HS and College are both closed and they NEVER shut down for the combined 9 years I attended them. 

Worse still my mother is a CPS teacher. Who now would have to drive to work in this. And be at work early enough for a 630 open. No, just no.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    How the hell do you wake up children early enough to go into school that early?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    How does starting school earlier help? I'd think later would be the key.