Simple Ideas

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I always pronounced Soll like Saul.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Is it time to discuss the cot/caught merger?
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Shaddus said:
    I always pronounced Soll like Saul.
    It's actually pronounced, "Throatwobbler Mangrove".

That aside, if it's at all possible, can the % to the next skill level for veneration show up in CULT STATUS? Not necessary, no, but I think it would be a nice touch.

• We arent supposed to point people to HELP NAMECHANGE? When did that start? News to me.
  • Imagine if you were new to the game and some player who is 90000% of your might starts telling you that you need to change your name, or you get issued by a player saying your name sucks/is inappropriate/is a rip off of some obscure anime from 15 years ago when spelled backwards. That's not a good first impression for new players to get and our guides are trained in how to handle poor names while maintaining the best customer service. Really, unless a name is a swear word or an offensive epithet, there's no real reason to take the naming policy into your own hands. This has been the policy for at least the past five years, if not more.

From HELP NAMES:

N.B
    --------------
    Players should not ask newbies to reconsider their names unless they are offensive in nature. This
    is the purview of the guides and the guides only. Please also note that the guides are governed in
    their namechanging decisions by their own set of guidelines and standards as dictated by the
    administration. Please bring any complaints or concerns about namechanging policy to the attention
    of the Moirae, -not- to individual guides.

• edited February 2014

• I find it poor form to put that information in HELP NAMES, a scroll I have never read, instead of in HELP NAMECHANGE. 

Why would you put related content it a different location? That is just confusing. 

Simple idea: since envoys are suspended, can we have overhaul stuff listed publicly in the same place?

This:
    There are no current (pending & finalised) envoy reports.

makes me sad. :(
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It makes me sad, too.

I had one up there for a bit to keep it from looking that way... but then it automatically submitted itself.  You know, when we're not supposed to actually be submitting anything.

Oops?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Malarious said:

Simple idea: since envoys are suspended, can we have overhaul stuff listed publicly in the same place?

HELP 50?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Iasmos said:
    I made an alt one time with a ridiculously long name, just for fun. I was told by a guide that I should change my name because it was difficult to pronounce. He offered to help me choose a new name, and he suggested one that was very close to the original and only one character shorter, so...  :-?
    That's extremely poor form, and I hope you complained about it to someone. 

One time  a looooong while back, I made a Geomancer alt named Geius. I had someone try to force me to change my name or leave the geomancers because they thought it was "too related to greek mythology" or some crap.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited February 2014
    Shaddus said:
    Iasmos said:
    I made an alt one time with a ridiculously long name, just for fun. I was told by a guide that I should change my name because it was difficult to pronounce. He offered to help me choose a new name, and he suggested one that was very close to the original and only one character shorter, so...  :-?
    That's extremely poor form, and I hope you complained about it to someone. 

One time  a looooong while back, I made a Geomancer alt named Geius. I had someone try to force me to change my name or leave the geomancers because they thought it was "too related to greek mythology" or some crap.
    Unless they were someone in a senior position such as GA or GM and there was a mandate against that kind of name, they should have minded their own business. (To be honest, IMO even GA's/GM's should defer OOC issues such as names to guides or administrators)  As said earlier, players have no place demanding that other players change their name, that is the purview of the guides and administrators, since it is an OOC matter outside of the scope of the basin.

If I were in your place, I would have taken it up with the guild admin or ISSUEd myself/them if they persisted in their demands since it could potentially be considered harassment.

In the case of a guide, if you are unhappy with their conduct, your best course of action would be to ISSUE yourself or contact the Moirae.  Don't ISSUE Skein/Spindle/Bobbins.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    Thanks, Kagato.
  • I remember that someone was bothering me to change my original name, because Juno is apparently a real life name. Honestly, I appreciate the naming policy that leaves it up to admin.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    A dreamweaver that is fully rested, has control up and goes to sleep on purpose should never be auto-woken up... makes it a bit of a pain to enter dream form, especially if having a bit of local lag.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Please add Korue's whips to the possibilities for exceptional presents. I believe there's already a few artifacts close to their value in there, and anything that might increase the chances of seeing someone using a whip other than the divinus whip is a good thing in my book.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    All I'm saying is that unless an Admin posts mechanical evidence of numbers vs mobs and increases/decreases in stuff...no mage should be using a whip unless they're unarti'd or just want a cool factor
    Munsia said:
    All I'm saying is that unless an Admin posts mechanical evidence of numbers vs mobs and increases/decreases in stuff...no mage should be using a whip unless they're unarti'd or just want a cool factor
    Or they want to bash an area that is resistant to their damage types, but weak against something else? Pretty sure a fire whip will do much better than say staff-ing with cold against Icewynd for instance. Not everyone has poison/asphyx/blunt

• Elanorwen said:
    Malarious said:

HELP 50?
    No I mean ideas for changes and such, I would assume they keep a log of things they plan to change or possible problems. I do not mean help files listed when they announced them
    How about requiring 10 vote weight before contesting for any position?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    edited February 2014
    I've never had 10 vote weight... even when I was GM and logged in for hours at a time every day.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Something higher than 1 would be nice. Seems to be a mag trend right now. 
  • edited February 2014
    Munsia said:
    Sort of Munsia but only in very specific circumstances, namely if you're a Mugwump with a decent boost to intelligence and a level 2+ magic damage rune and DMP buffs to your damage type which give you at least 10% more damage to your type over your whip damage type.

Mugwump's have a base 3.3 second staff cast, with a level 2 magic damage rune, 19 int and a 25% boost to fire damage I do 1156 damage to a beast (i.e. a mob I can check damage levels on which has no resistances or weaknesses to damage types). 

DPS in this case is 350.9.

As a Mugwump with a whip I attack at 3.5 second balance time and do 1068 damage with 15% extra divinus damage. 

DPS in this case is 323.64

So in this case the staff cast is definitely optimal.

Compare that to say a Faeling which attacks for a similar 1156 damage (19 int is the same as are all the other boosts) but on 3.8-3.9 second balance with staff cast as opposed to a 1068 damage whip attack at 3 seconds per attack then the damage per second for the staff cast is 304.21 (assuming 3.8 second base balance) as opposed to the whip's which is 356 DPS (i.e. slightly higher than a fully arti'd Mugwump with a reasonable INT boost).

You could definitely make the Mugwump's DPS outpace a Faeling's by boosting int by another 3 points to its max of 22 but that's fairly hard to sustain. You might also be able to do it with a Merian, particularly if you're an Aquamancer and can push up to 25 int with a level 2 equi bonus.

What I don't have the time to work out is whether a whips faster attack speed (10-11% faster Faeling vs Mugwump) would mean that critical hits would allow a Faeling to outpace a Mugwump with staffcast assuming no hindering and no resistances/weaknesses.

Basically they're situational, I use my whip for bashing anything with no resistances or divinus weaknesses and my staffcast for anything that's fire weak.

Note: Balance times are roughly averaged out since they slightly randomised.
    Where are you able to get a damage read out besides using a beast?
  • edited February 2014
    Nowhere else, just using the beast.

When I was testing whips vs destruction damage when they were first released I was using a beast to gather numbers and chatting with Iosai about tweaks etc. Iosai indicated that this allowed for a decent comparison of damage levels. Obviously it doesn't take into account hindering and struggles with the slight variation in speed so you can only use it as an indication. I also don't have exact numbers for resistance/weakness levels i.e. if a slight weakness is 5%, 7% or 10% extra damage. But barring damage numbers against mobs being included in the game as a config option it's the only way we can work out some type of DPS.

EDIT: To keep this on topic, damage numbers during PvE as a simple tweak would be fantastic. I know it's been suggested before but can't hurt to suggest it again.
    Like Aetolia has as a config, yeah, that'd be cool. Though to be fair they have a ton more interesting configs than us. 

Also though, I've tested with my beast before and I do double the damage to my beast with my staff than with a whip. 
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Incoming wave of disagrees on this post, but, simple idea:

Could we nerf the experience gain on influencing?

• Zouviqil said:

I won't disagree with it if you provide some explanation/reasoning!

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I think it'd be fairer to nerf the boost Ikons give to 2/3rds or even half.

I think one of the major issues is at the 80 to Titan branch where bashing simply is ineffective compared, unless you invest significantly more than you need to do to influence, so a bit of easy essence farming for Ikons and far less skill/artifact investment later you're churning out enough gold through esteem sales to buy Ikons and be a self sustaining xp grinder.

Base xp gain from influencing is pretty solid, having an Ikon that works as the same as a pair of golden lips, or worse lips+tonic for 24 hours (and stacks with them) is wildly out of sync.

(Ideally I'd love a place for 80-98's to bash out, because the UV tunnels, prison and keph hives stop being really rewarding, zombies and astral tear you apart without artifacts, Icewynd larva will laugh at you and pick your corpse apart and Muud is just a nono once you pass the point of no return. Remind me to get on with my plans to apply for a builder job after Ascension, I've been pondering this as well as other designs for a while.)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    edited February 2014
    Maligorn said:

Zouviqil said:

I won't disagree with it if you provide some explanation/reasoning!
    For something with no consequence of doing (find a stack of guards, sit, influence), when coupled with experience boosts, a charisma boost or two, and little to no gold investment, one can sit put and gain level after level and after level. Easily, in five hours, a novice could get to level 60. The issue is, few people go out to hunt anymore or even go to dangerous areas. The only dangerous areas I see people go to when it comes to influencing are the hives/prison SOMETIMES, Climanti, and Lirangsha. And I completely understand the notion that some people have pacifist characters.

It is possible that all that is needed is something like @Morkarion's suggestion, a leveling place for 80-98. But for now, the game is such where even warriors who like fighting and combat opt to influence guard stacks instead of going out hunting/bashing.

Maybe even increasing guard influence counters to 2 hours, 3 hours, 5 hours, something to make it less of a "sit down and camp" environment.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I don't think I've ever seen a non demi bash for xp in Lirangsha. Have you seen the stupid amount of damage and clump up those Krokani do?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!