Simple Ideas

Comments

• Approach 1: Sleep in a manse.

Approach 2: Sleep in your orgbix room.

Approach 3: Sleep in a room with a chandelier and have someone watch over you, waking you if a dreambody enters.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    How many dreamweavers have you had to fight off to begin with? Pretty sure the only DW on our side these days is one of the Aquas... can't recall which one presently.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    How many dreamweavers have you had to fight off to begin with? Pretty sure the only DW on our side these days is one of the Aquas... can't recall which one presently.
    Lost count of how many times I was caught unawares because I didn't find out everything I could about a certain thing.
    Retired.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Or just sleep but with your curing system (including in game curing) on. Dreamweavers aren't very dangerous to non-novice characters, if you have rudimentary aff curing/kafe+insomnia keepups going.
  • Can we nerf the ingame weather? Whenever I go to Icewynd I should not have to be told via my FORECAST that 'Your movement speed is slowed down 50 percent due to low temperature, and 90 percent due to low winds'. So, I'm moving at -140 percent of my regular speed?

Is my maths wrong, because it seems like I shouldn't be able to move. Any more and it'd make me walk backwards. Blizzards are not fun either. So blizzard, slow movement, can't use map, have to sip fire (EVEN when my character has every clothing slot filled) ... it's not fun at all. Just get away with it all together, lower the lesson requirement for the relevant skill, or nerf it 140 percent.

Retired.
    edited February 2014
    Wear a coat! Really, it helps.

EDIT: Also, you need to have your clothes padded out for it to give you appreciable warmth factor. The problem is that there's a whole druid skillset that hinges on having the weather hinder people from running away :P.
  • There are ways to counter the weather, so you should look into warmer clothing or learning more Environment.

Also, the formula is probably: (NormalSpeed * 0.5) * 0.1 = CurrentSpeed

• edited February 2014
    Enyalida said:
    Wear a coat! Really, it helps.
    I'm wearing -everything-. Hat, gloves, backback, belt, suit, boxers (Ladies ;) ), socks, boots, coat, cloak, scarf, blanket. Haezon is an ad for the stay puft marshmallow man.

"Damn it, Ray!"
    Iasmos said:
    There are ways to counter the weather, so you should look into warmer clothing or learning more Environment.
    I've done all of this, and the relevant environment skill is second-to-transcendant.
    Retired.
  • edited February 2014
    Beast with trotting is the single best thing to increase movement speed @Haezon. Once you reach Demigod buy the WeatherProof power, that's also a massive help.
  • Chade said:
    Beast with trotting is the single best thing to increase movement speed @Haezon.
    I shall take that on board, as I have a beast. Trotting also doesn't seem very high. But this all requires lessons which I don't have and I have more priority skills to invest in.
    Retired.
    edited February 2014
    Padding! Padding multiplies the heck out of your warmth factor, check your CLOTHING LIST to see how warm you actually are. Remember, Icewynd is the coldest place in the game, by a large margin, cold enough to cause problems for soulless.

In this case, the culprit actually looks to be the high winds, which I usually try to lower any time I'm flexed into Shaman, for flying-on-the-plains purposes. There have been some calls to monkey around with wind slowdowns, or to add some kind of defense against wind slowing, but nothing went through.

So yeah, even with celerity, you aren't going to be flitting around the mountains of Icewynd, period. With some warm clothes, you can avoid the freezing ticks, though!

EDIT: Of note, being a Shaman actually doesn't help at all against being slowed by weather, except by letting you shift towards more gentle climes, which usually isn't enough to make a difference.
  • edited February 2014
    I did ask for a shaman, but none was available. What would be helpful as well is if there was a map of icewynd for such an occasion. Caffrey's map is incomplete in this regard.

Still though, blizzards in other parts are also annoying, and don't seem to add anything except annoyance. I am quite happy to RP a blizzard if the environment says so, but to be forced to do so? Uncool.

EDIT: To be honest @Enyalida, I wouldnm't have minded the slow speed if the blizzard was removed. Just... everything piled together at once... too much.
    Retired.
    Haezon said:
    I did ask for a shaman, but none was available. What would be helpful as well is if there was a map of icewynd for such an occasion. Caffrey's map is incomplete in this regard.

Still though, blizzards in other parts are also annoying, and don't seem to add anything except annoyance. I am quite happy to RP a blizzard if the environment says so, but to be forced to do so? Uncool.

EDIT: To be honest @Enyalida, I wouldnm't have minded the slow speed if the blizzard was removed. Just... everything piled together at once... too much.
    What would you replace weathersight with, then? It is the almost-trans ability in Environment.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:
    What would you replace weathersight with, then? It is the almost-trans ability in Environment.
    Why replace it? Move it down. It's not exactly a world-renowned ability to see through weather. Alternatively, put a skill lower down which allows you 50-80 percent chance to see a map or probe an item once you have it, with the percentage rising (Perhaps) the more you have in environment. Just please think of the people who don't have weathersight :(
    Retired.
    edited February 2014
    Don't know what to tell you there, it's what blizzards have done since before I started playing, and being 'forced' to participate with the setting of the game isn't anything  particularly new.

With the current weather system, there is a large amount of rhyme and reason with the map/exit hiding effects. They only are possible in certain areas, some of which only during certain seasons, and are not necessarily likely in those areas, unless someone is trolling you - but there aren't many shamans because blah Shamanism.  IIRC, the previous weather system was almost entirely random, as far as anyone could tell.

EDIT: Also, if we nerf weather again, can we buff shaman weather plz?
    edited February 2014
    Haezon said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Why replace it? Move it down. It's not exactly a world-renowned ability to see through weather. Alternatively, put a skill lower down which allows you 50-80 percent chance to see a map or probe an item once you have it, with the percentage rising (Perhaps) the more you have in environment. Just please think of the people who don't have weathersight :(
    I'm also thinking of the people who spent lessons transing environment. After perceive, there really isn't much good in the skillset, and perceive is situational. Weathersight is something of a reward along the way, and is a good perk when added to attune. Chop is useful to have for a mage, but yet another situational ability for everyone else. When would a warrior care that much for chopping trees, unless it's to assist a friendly mage in meld-breaking? Fluidswim is useless with the existence of waterbreathe/waterwalk. Tumbling is good for combat, I'll grant you that, but nowadays I've found a use for it less and less often. After that, it's all nothing all the way up to attune? Yes, I'd like to see weathersight replaced with something equally useful if it were to be moved down/removed.

EDIT: Something else to consider in regards to blizzards:

Syntax: AEROCAST BLIZZARD [DEMESNE]
    This can be cast in a single cloud location or throughout your demesne. You can raise a snowy blizzard that will hide exits and freeze your enemies.

Technically, I haven't really paid that much attention to see if someone who has blizzard up will be able to conceal exits from someone with weathersight, so I could be totally wrong there, too... but the thing is, a blizzard hiding exits is not any kind of big deal with the existence of mappers and what-not... as to the IC repercussions, you can forget about enforcing it in any fashion beyond the mechanical one. I've had troubles with stuff like that myself in other games... where I got lost in a sandstorm and almost died five times while stumbling around and trying to find my tankier friend... but it was possibly some of the most fun I've had in that particular MUD.

To make a long point short... if you could see through the blizzard without a special ability, are you going to RP-walk into an icedigger pit because your character couldn't IC-ly see the pit? I doubt it.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Attune itself is worth transing Environment, just saying.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Morkarion said:
    Attune itself is worth transing Environment, just saying.
    Yes, but nothing else between attune and say tumbling has any worth at all... and let's face it, the skillset is very lacking in certain regards. Skills like sewers and rooftops, for instance, are rather useless in that 4 out of the 6 orgs don't have sewers, and as far as I'm aware at least 3 don't have rooftops either. Never mind that nobody these days actually earns their gold with rats. Pretty much, most use sewers get is when people try to get into Muud that way.

Sewers also lets you get into the gutter from the rift in the top.

I agree though, environment as a skill set is particularly lacking, but as long as attune exists, you'll still want to trans it out of principle. You'll just pick up a bunch of *bleh* along the way.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Miniiiiiskiiiiill
    What I'd like to see is the unleash staff/cudgel ability not needing me to specify which staff I'm trying to use. That might be something to report as a bug, even. I have my shield/grip runes on my cudgel as that is what I put them on all the way back when I was a Hartstone, so I have trouble every time I try to unleash staff (Not often, but still there) in that I need to unleash staff<number> rather than it working the same way as point staff and tune staff do in that it knows which staff it needs to use for the skill.

The staff that a person has summoned is kept somewhere in the database as it is, in that if I misplace my staff for any reason and then try to summon a new one, I get the same object returning to me (I even had that happen once after tossing it in the nexus because it was the 11th and I had 0 months left on it), so it should be quite simple to default to that item instead of having to specify which item I am trying to unleash.

• Just as a side note, unleash staff is freaking awesome!

As for your simple idea Elanorwen, I'd even be tempted to bug that. Sounds like a real hassle.
    Speaking of staffs and such, I'd love domoth items to become imbuements on your current gear, instead of extra stuff you need to wield and wear.

Morkarion said:
    Speaking of staffs and such, I'd love domoth items to become imbuements on your current gear, instead of extra stuff you need to wield and wear.
    Or just be objects that you do not need to wield/wear to use. Should be useable while in your inventory.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Only if you can sit on domoth thrones too
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Using the TONGUE emote on a Kethuru tongue should make them DEEPKISS you.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Use Mudlet's map. That doesn't vanish with weather and had Icewynd in it. Or you can take it upon yourself to update the map of the Basin since Caffrey is no longer about to do that. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:
    Use Mudlet's map. That doesn't vanish with weather and had Icewynd in it. Or you can take it upon yourself to update the map of the Basin since Caffrey is no longer about to do that. 
    Give me a few details, if you know any, of the program she used and sure, I'll have a go. Just use photoshop and a bit of copy and paste.
    Retired.
    Shuyin said:
    Only if you can sit on domoth thrones too
    Well, that sounds like a plan... except a few of them aren't exactly thrones either. There's a pool and what-not, too