Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Shaddus said:
    Dear design reviewers. If a watch has leather in it and it isn't mentioned in the description, it's likely because IT HAS A BAND AND I DON'T WANT TO EXPLAIN "THIS WATCH HAS A PLAIN LEATHER BAND" IN EVERY DESIGN I MAKE. 
    +1
    +1
    +111111
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Shaddus said:
    Dear design reviewers. If a watch has leather in it and it isn't mentioned in the description, it's likely because IT HAS A BAND AND I DON'T WANT TO EXPLAIN "THIS WATCH HAS A PLAIN LEATHER BAND" IN EVERY DESIGN I MAKE. 
    Don't have a plain leather band? Make the band just as interesting and describe the band in as much detail?
    LAG.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I shouldn't have to describe the band every time. That's like saying I have to describe what shape the gems are cut in on a ring every time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Siam said:
    LAG.
    Oh...it wasn't just me! It screwed up my timer bad :(
    Munsia said:
    Siam said:
    LAG.
    Oh...it wasn't just me! It screwed up my timer bad :(
    I kept getting feed from the game but I couldn't input commands.

#bringShikariback 

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Can we all just agree that the PANTS emote is the best emote in the game, beyond Ebonguard's bodyslam

edited April 2014
    Bodyslam (ohyeah) isn't ebonguard, it's a clan emote.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    and OHMAN!

#bringShikariback 

• Shaddus said:
    I shouldn't have to describe the band every time. That's like saying I have to describe what shape the gems are cut in on a ring every time.
    No, it's really not.

There are such things as fabric bands for watches, and you can make the band more interesting than a simple leather band. Leather comes in different colors, shapes, sizes, etc.

Not mentioning/describing the band is just lazy.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    I appreciate the fact that you think I'm lazy because I focus more on the face and inner workings of a wristwatch than I do the band that holds it on.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Whoa, whoa. I can see both sides of this, but let's get real here.

If you put the comms in, you should detail where they're used. That's sort of common sense, which is exactly why it's also a design guideline. Just...just don't put the comms in next time? I think you'll be okay.

#leavereviewersalone
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I've seen designs before that have comms that aren't explicitly detailed in the design that weren't rejected. This rejecting for not specifying exactly where the comm is used is a new fad and I don't particularly like it - it's overly picky. Who cares if it costs the designer extra to make a design with that platinum in the comms they didn't mention? There is nothing in the guidelines that say the commodities must be outlined clearly in the examined. But, every material mentioned in the design must be accounted for in the commodities. Are we going to start seeing designs rejected for having 2 onyx in the commodities when the design says the ring has only 1 large onyx on top? Or vice versa?

BECAUSE COMMSINK.

#bringShikariback 

edited April 2014

Lavinya said:
    Who cares if it costs the designer extra to make a design with that platinum in the comms they didn't mention? There is nothing in the guidelines that say the commodities must be outlined clearly in the examined.
    2. The commodity count should be sufficient for the design type. Also, as you read the design, a commodity should be included to account for every material and hue (if there is an associated material or tint that can be used) mentioned. EXCEPTION: Only food commodities are required for cooking, even if a hue, bowl, spoon, platter, et cetera is mentioned.

Logically speaking, one should naturally assume that the rule goes both ways. Arguing that we uphold the opposite just...strikes me as somewhat petty, I don't know. Maybe I'm just an elitist bitch, but this "new fad" has been around as long as I've had my fingers in the pie.

/unsure

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Eritheyl said:

Lavinya said:
    Who cares if it costs the designer extra to make a design with that platinum in the comms they didn't mention? There is nothing in the guidelines that say the commodities must be outlined clearly in the examined.
    2. The commodity count should be sufficient for the design type. Also,
    as you read the design, a commodity should be included to account for
    every material and hue (if there is an associated material or tint that
    can be used) mentioned. EXCEPTION: Only food commodities are required
    for cooking, even if a hue, bowl, spoon, platter, et cetera is
    mentioned.
    The guideline is the opposite of what we're talking about here though. It is saying that every material mentioned in the design, must have a correlating commodity. It makes sense of course to only use what you mention, but it should NOT be grounds for rejection. And that is the issue.

• That only specifies that you need to have a comm added (if such a comm exists) if you describe it in the examined. Not that every comm added must be described to the last detail in the examined.

Obviously, if you make a throne that has 1 of every single gem and your examined description says, "This is a normal, plain throne." then there's some problem and it should be rejected. This is, however, a case-by-case rule, and not one that should be blanket applied to every single instance. Neglecting to account for 1 commodity, especially if it is a common sense commodity, should not be grounds for rejection.

Lerad said:
    This is, however, a case-by-case rule, and not one that should be blanket applied to every single instance. Neglecting to account for 1 commodity, especially if it is a common sense commodity, should not be grounds for rejection.
    Unfortunately, case-by-case rules do not work in the design system. It's either 'yes', 'no', or 'Charites save us'. We could start flagging every design missing a commodity for divine review, but I'm sure that would be even worse than the current situation!

-

• edited April 2014
    I'm sorry, what? This is a case-by-case rule because it is not explicitly stated in the rule list. If it is explicitly stated in the rule list, then there is a clear yes/no answer. Since it is not, there is also no clear yes/no answer.

You do not blanket apply rules that don't exist to every single design. You also do not let loopholes through just because it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the rules list. This is what it means to be "case-by-case".

It is not a set rule and has never been one that I've known about it. In fact, I have never seen designs rejected for it until very recently.

edited April 2014
    I concede, I'll be the bad guy this time.

But the next time the Charites and/or other admin reject designs citing the same unspoken-but-evidently-still-very-much-recently-in-place-rule-that-might-not-really-be-a-rule, well...we'll tackle that when next it comes up!

(for once, I'm not being sarcastic. I'd like the issue to be a little more definitive as well, from my side!)

-

When it comes down to it, the Charites can arbitrarily reject any design they wish for any reason. That's sort of their domain.

Designers cannot and should not make up rules on the fly to reject designs. I fully understand that my designing capabilities and skills are nowhere close to the people who go through designs. That doesn't mean my designs aren't good enough, or should be rejected simply because the approver doesn't like the design or how it's laid out.
  • Eritheyl said:

Lavinya said:
    2. The commodity count should be sufficient for the design type. Also, as you read the design, a commodity should be included to account for every material and hue (if there is an associated material or tint that can be used) mentioned. EXCEPTION: Only food commodities are required for cooking, even if a hue, bowl, spoon, platter, et cetera is mentioned.

Logically speaking, one should naturally assume that the rule goes both ways. Arguing that we uphold the opposite just...strikes me as somewhat petty, I don't know. Maybe I'm just an elitist bitch, but this "new fad" has been around as long as I've had my fingers in the pie.

/unsure
    Actually, that's pretty much what logic doesn't state. Just because A leads to B does not automatically mean that B also leads to A. All lions are cats, but not all cats are lions.
  • Quality roleplay in Lusternia is going through a severe depression.  Everyone is feckless, prosaic, and treat all IC dialogue as an opportunity for meta commentary.  

Keeping it real for a hot minute: learn to roleplay.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

It's like if I create a throne made of bones and I add in 10 different creatures to use. I don't have to mention every single creature I've added.

Also, there are simply some things you assume with designs. If you use gem/sand in a watch and it's not mentioned, you assume it's for a glass/crystal face. If you use powerstones, you assume they're used to power the device, make light, or generally make this item moderately magical looking. If you include leather in a watch design, you assume it's for a band unless said otherwise.
    Tetra said:

Quality roleplay in Lusternia is going through a severe depression.  Everyone is feckless, prosaic, and treat all IC dialogue as an opportunity for meta commentary.  

Keeping it real for a hot minute: learn to roleplay.
    Welcome back.
    edited April 2014
    Shaddus said:
    It's like if I create a throne made of bones and I add in 10 different creatures to use. I don't have to mention every single creature I've added. Also, there are simply some things you assume with designs. If you use gem/sand in a watch and it's not mentioned, you assume it's for a glass/crystal face. If you use powerstones, you assume they're used to power the device, make light, or generally make this item moderately magical looking. If you include leather in a watch design, you assume it's for a band unless said otherwise.
    ...its arms, bleached a milky white, echo the dying screams of the poor merian fellow given up to this artistic cause, whilst the seat, stoic and uncaring like dead elfen whose bones now grace the posteriors of those who commissioned this throne to being, is polished to perfection...

#bringShikariback 

• edited April 2014
    You know, I had a design returned because they wanted me to add Silver for something like "silvery trails of spider webs" given that "silvery" is just something resembling silver and second, I already had added silk as a commodity.

Or that other time when a design was returned 3 (Three) times because of molten-moulten-molten disagreements between reviewers.

Just so annoying at times.

This discussion has been closed.