Simple Ideas

Comments

• Xenthos said:
    Kethaera said:
    It can be spammy, depending on the person. Neat part is being able to customize the bits in parentheses and concealing some of the clothing.
    I'm currently mentally envisioning what mine would look like on a line-by-line basis.

It scares me.
    You scroll my screen XD
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Being able to rescue people cross-continent please.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Is there a particularly good reason why guild champions can't advance people outside the collegium?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited June 2014
    Rivius said:

Is there a particularly good reason why guild champions can't advance people outside the collegium?

Same reason GA can't promote people to protector?

It's not part of the job. Just have the other leaders promote you to secretary
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited June 2014
    I don't think that's a very good reason. There's things that are specific to each guild leadership position, but the other 2 guild leaders, secretaries and undersecretaries can all do this job. I don't really see a good reason why the champion cannot as well...
  • Because the Champion position has no inherent responsibility to do so. The position comes with being in charge of a combat path, but  there is no need to blend the role with that of a Guild Administrator.  The only thing the Champion position is "supposed" to do is save other guild members and be an example of how to fight as that class.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    In this time, unless you're in the ur'Guard, when it's just your guild leadership + 1 or 2 more people ever online, I think it would be best to share some privileges (at the very least, being able to advance a guild novice). I'm pretty sure no one would be boneheaded enough to vote for someone to GC who can't determine when a novice is ready to be advanced, even if they're the best combatant in the world.

• I was pointing out that it shouldn't be an inherent ability to the position and should be resolved by what @Shaddus said.  If they want the ability, get appointed to the Secretary position.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I get that. I disagree. But at least it is an easy fix.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I remember my first GC position and being surprised that they can't promote novices, too... it's not more than a nuisance especially after you know that the situation is a problem. Grab your GA by the throat, have them appoint you undersec and problem is pretty much solved at that point.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Can GA's set enemy status/fines without protector/security?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Karlach said:
    Can GA's set enemy status/fines without protector/security?
    Not that I'm aware of... then again, have never been a GA

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited June 2014
    Maligorn said:
    In this time, unless you're in the ur'Guard, when it's just your guild leadership + 1 or 2 more people ever online, I think it would be best to share some privileges (at the very least, being able to advance a guild novice). I'm pretty sure no one would be boneheaded enough to vote for someone to GC who can't determine when a novice is ready to be advanced, even if they're the best combatant in the world.
    Even I didn't manage to escape being appointed Undersec. (Though I held out for a long time.)

I think GAs can set enemy status and fines, because guild leadership would be able to do that. For the city/commune they definitely can't without Security.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ilthilior said:
    Maligorn said:
    Even I didn't manage to escape being appointed Undersec. (Though I held out for a long time.)

I think GAs can set enemy status and fines, because guild leadership would be able to do that. For the city/commune they definitely can't without Security.
    They can't activate discretionaries without security either.

Ilthilior said:
    Maligorn said:

That's likely the tradeoff then for novice advancement. Personally I dislike the fact you need to be granted permissions as a guild leader, you should have them as innate.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    Ilthilior said:
    Maligorn said:

That's likely the tradeoff then for novice advancement. Personally I dislike the fact you need to be granted permissions as a guild leader, you should have them as innate.
    I like them as they are now. it creates some method of separation regarding position in the guild. Else we'd just have 17 members on the city/commune council.
    Ilthilior said:
    Karlach said:
    Ilthilior said:
    Maligorn said:

I like them as they are now. it creates some method of separation regarding position in the guild. Else we'd just have 17 members on the city/commune council.
    You still have to have a GC make other members protector or GA make them undersec, and the GM promote. You'd still have the GC have the rescue command, as well as have Karma free kills, the GA have the means to locate all novices and the GM would still be the guild representitive.

I'm talking about personal permissions, like how you need a GA to make a GM a librarian, or a GC an undersec. It shouldn't be necessary to have to rely on each other for what is essentially red tape.

• In most cases, though, the guild is more than willing to do that for you, regardless. They already reworked it so GM and GA retain Security through elections. I mean, I could see the change of GC retaining Secretary through elections, but ultimately in an active guild, it should take less than 24 hours for you to get whatever positions you deemed you would need.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Ilthilior said:
    In most cases, though, the guild is more than willing to do that for you, regardless. They already reworked it so GM and GA retain Security through elections. I mean, I could see the change of GC retaining Secretary through elections, but ultimately in an active guild, it should take less than 24 hours for you to get whatever positions you deemed you would need.
    Also not true, like, if you resign GC, to contest Warlord, and your GM resigns GM to contest GC, so someone else an take GM.

Leaves me without Security privileges for ~5 days :(
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    ^^^^^^
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• That is why I said should in most cases.

Also I think you have the privilege to enemy as Warlord anyway.
    Ilthilior said:
     in an active guild
    Herein lies the root of the issue, some guilds do not have fully active leadership, or people who can take all the positions to run said active leadership.

This means for the 1-2 people around they're limited on what they can and cannot do.

• I thought this is what the covenant stuff was supposed to help alleviate? I mean, it happened while I was gone but in the brief scan I gave the help file that seemed to be the reasoning... so you could tie a less active guild to a more active one, in order that novices could be advanced?

could be wildly off base though.
  • Cern said:
    I thought this is what the covenant stuff was supposed to help alleviate? I mean, it happened while I was gone but in the brief scan I gave the help file that seemed to be the reasoning... so you could tie a less active guild to a more active one, in order that novices could be advanced?

That's the impression that I got too, but I've never seen anyone from a covenant give a test for advancement. Possibly because anything past the collegium there's no shared help files and thus no easy way to share standards/requirements?
  • Belibi said:
    Cern said:
    I thought this is what the covenant stuff was supposed to help alleviate? I mean, it happened while I was gone but in the brief scan I gave the help file that seemed to be the reasoning... so you could tie a less active guild to a more active one, in order that novices could be advanced?

That's the impression that I got too, but I've never seen anyone from a covenant give a test for advancement. Possibly because anything past the collegium there's no shared help files and thus no easy way to share standards/requirements?
    Perhaps some shared cvhelp where the guild leaders of both guilds in a covenant can edit help files? Perhaps it's only available to the leaders of those two guilds, even, and normal guild members are restricted to their own guild's help files?
  • There are quite a few options already. You can use projects, clans or books. Could put the books in the city library as restricted, or have copies in the guild libraries.
  • Sure.. there are options. But it would be better if it could all be contained within the covenant system itself. Maintaining the projects/clans/books when covenants change (can they? I'd assume they can) would be a bit of a nightmare, and counterproductive to the whole making things easier purpose.
    Never mind maintaining books when some alterations to the advancement system are done.

I will also add that covenant has more limitations than just that. For instance, I can't readlog for my covenant guild or vice-versa. My guild favours are worth half their weight if aimed toward a member of the covenant guild as well, so it's usually better to just leave a message with a covenant GL than spend 2 of my favours to accomplish the same result... and then we hit the readlog issue where I have no way to tell if they did give the favour out or not, etc, etc. It definitely sounded like a great idea when it was released, but it seemingly was left incomplete.