Simple Ideas

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    For something that take a lot of coordination and agreement to set up, covenants don't really empower us to assist each other, it just makes GT a less lonely place. That in itself was nice I'm sure for those empty guilds with little lost novices, but it didn't make it easier to actually help with anything tangible.

• Probably not so simple a suggestion, but has there ever been consideration of adding double authentication to the game to make things more secure? I think it could benefit us if we could have a system of 'authorized computers / connections' so that when you log in from another location you have to verify that it is you (though an email link for example). Would mean players who log in from a VPN don't get a false positive because they seem to have travelled across the world suddenly. And would also mean that if someone in another country gets hold of your game login they cannot do anything unless they also control your email.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • The problem is, how would Lusternia know what computer we're connecting from? Sure, it can get a rough estimation of location by IP, but those are never better than city, and can fail, and I think it costs a bit to use such a service.
  • Ssaliss said:
    The problem is, how would Lusternia know what computer we're connecting from? Sure, it can get a rough estimation of location by IP, but those are never better than city, and can fail, and I think it costs a bit to use such a service.
    It would use IP and thus wouldn't be super accurate, but it would mean that if you connect from a vastly different place it gets flagged at least. I believe that is how Facebook and others go about it. The other alternative would be to have double auth through an authenticator or something but that may get way too complicated to implement.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • In case you didn't realize, it already tracks where you last logged on from. Displays "your last login was from domain blah" every time you log on, in fact.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Can we add a slight caveat to the newbie introduction when the fates explain Glomdoring?

It refers to Glomdoring as "the tainted forest" and should probably mention that bringing this up is an exceptionally sensitive subject and big no-no. So before any newbies get hounded out for conflicting information, it might be worth explaining the whole "false memory" aspect.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    Can we add a slight caveat to the newbie introduction when the fates explain Glomdoring?

It refers to Glomdoring as "the tainted forest" and should probably mention that bringing this up is an exceptionally sensitive subject and big no-no. So before any newbies get hounded out for conflicting information, it might be worth explaining the whole "false memory" aspect.
    I think just about every city and commune has an issue with the way the cities and forests are being presented in the newbie introduction. If Glomdoring gets a rewrite, everybody else should get one, too.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    edited June 2014
    Parua said:

Karlach said:

I think just about every city and commune has an issue with the way the cities and forests are being presented in the newbie introduction. If Glomdoring gets a rewrite, everybody else should get one, too.
    It's not so much a rewrite, it's more an explanation that if you join Glomdoring, don't go walking around calling it the tainted forest. Reason being is for genuine newbies (the people this whole thing is for) they're going to walk in, make one faux pas because they trusted what the fates told them, and the reaction is never pretty for that one.

A giant rewrite isn't necessary for that, a line or two at most.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Karlach said:
    It's not so much a rewrite, it's more an explanation that if you join Glomdoring, don't go walking around calling it the tainted forest. Reason being is for genuine newbies (the people this whole thing is for) they're going to walk in, make one faux pas because they trusted what the fates told them, and the reaction is never pretty for that one.

Or you could not jump down their throat when they make the mistake. It's not like newbies are that hard to spot. Take them aside, explain nicely, problem solved. Pretty sure Mag isn't terribly happy with being the 'evil' city either, so eh...

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Daraius said:
    It'd be better if the game was better represented by the intro, in general.
    Admins' face when:
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited June 2014
    Hey, we tried. :)

But here's an idea: no slimed slivvens at the Vesteran Stage, ja feel?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited June 2014
    Karlach said:
    Parua said:

Karlach said:

Except that's a line or two that, again, every other city and commune would also like. So I must repeat myself: if Glomdoring gets it, everybody else should get it too.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
  • I don't think it's that big of a deal. Having a newbie saythink we're the tainted forest every now and then just means there's a chance to get people to defend against that attitude. (And also the chance for delicious S&M - er, I mean, re-education roleplay with the newbie)

But since Parua's so adamant, I want to argue that Glomdoring has always been special, so if we get to make a change, we should be the only ones to get to make the change, just because.

edited June 2014
    Feel free to actually suggest a small change you'd like in other org descriptions rather than eyeing up the neighbour's stuff and going "I want it too!"

• I tried to get changes made to the Cacophony help file. You know, the part that lists all the instruments in the game instead of talking about the guild. Yeah, that part. 

Two months of rewrites and several tantrums later, you'll notice that it hasn't been changed.....

So, good luck with that.

• edited June 2014
    Karlach said:
    Feel free to actually suggest a small change you'd like in other org descriptions rather than eyeing up the neighbour's stuff and going "I want it too!"
    I can't exactly speak for the other organizations, but I know that myself, and at least a few other people would prefer to see Serenwilde referred to as the True Forest or something along those lines. I personally, am not the greatest when it comes to this sort of thing, but I do know that the current description is lacking and not the image we (at least some of us, I can't speak for everybody) want to present to newbies.

I'm not trying to be a petulant child, there was actually some talk about this right after the newest version of the intro came out, but nothing ever came of it. I simply took your re-raising of the topic to advocate again. 

I think you were being a little unnecessarily aggressive with your tone in this, edging on abusive, and I don't think that my responses to your posts, which really just amount to "Hey, we want this too," really warranted the language you used.
  • edited June 2014
    Just present the two forest communes in the following manner:

1) Serenwilde - The Prey

2) Glomdoring - The Predators (Sorry, but @Shikari is just badass.)

Fixed.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    When an Illuminati makes a homunculus, make it take the race from a person's racehat instead of their true race.  That'd be nifty.
    Brona said:

2) Glomdoring - The Hunters (Sorry, but @Shikari is just badass.)
    Shikari doesn't hunt, Shikari kills.

• Charune is the Hunter. Shikari is the Predator.

Exactly, hunting implies the possibility of failure.

Iasmos said:
    Charune is the Hunter. Shikari is the Predator.
    So what you're saying is....
    Charune hunts.
    Shikari.... predates?
    *sunglasses*
    *insert proper YEAAAAAH*

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I know people have forgotten about this topic but the slivven get everywhere. Making them non-aggressive doesn't change the promotion at all! It just annoys everyone. Please make them non-aggressive, the spam they make just by moving is suffering enough. Why make them aggro!
    Retired.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited June 2014
    If I'm going to leave my signature as it is, I feel like I should actually post a full idea to go with it, so here we are.

Give experience points for publishing books.

REASONING: Helps make culture relate to the rest of the game a little more. Right now it's basically its own little thing, and I'm all for anything that links it to the rest of the game even a little bit. Plus, it removes the opportunity cost from writing, in that spending X hours writing no longer means giving up X hours of bashing experience. As a minor bonus, it provides an alternative to bashing (Influence is not an alternative to bashing. Influence is bashing without afflictions or death.) for the people who aren't into that part of the game.

In terms of numbers, make every 1000 word published give experience equal to the average experience gain of a demigod bashing for three hours.

REASONING: I'm making an estimate here and guessing that the average words written per hour here in 333 or so. Putting the experience gain for writing at the average rate as equal to bashing at the average rate puts bashing and writing on par with each other for experience gain and prevents speed creep. This hopefully prevents the people who are concerned with making experience gain faster or easier from thinking things are getting work. Some people (myself included, in the interest of full disclosure) will write significantly faster than that and get writing experience faster as a result. That's alright. Some people bash faster than others, too. Both systems reward people for being good at them, so they're still on par with each other.

You might want to make experience scale with level, but I think that adds complexity for little to no actual benefit. The advantage to that would be that you could make it so writing is on par with three hours of bashing at the player's current level, which would mean that writing is always on par with bashing, and never better or worse. But given that demis can take nondemis bashing anyway and that there's so much variation in lower level bashing speeds between newer and older players, I don't think it's worth doing. It's something to consider if you really want to make sure that there's no increase to the rate of experience gain, though.

Make a prestige win give a second experience reward equal to the one for publishing.

REASONING: If you don't do this, the system will reward writing fast far more than writing well, in terms of experience (the culture system is the opposite way, so this might not be a terrible thing for balancing the two skills out a little) and this would help reduce that effect, if you want it to be reduced.

A book's editor also gets experience for the book, equal to one quarter of what the author gets.

REASONING: Editing takes time and effort too! There's a risk of editors getting assigned to books for the experience and not actually doing any editing, but that vastly reduced the odds of the book winning prestige, so there's an incentive not to do that. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Finally, give the experience when a book passes the review period and starts giving library points, not immediately after it's published.

REASONING: Pretty much everything else with the library works this way. Keeps things simpler and reduced the possibility for confusion if we keep everything triggering at once. Plus, this means that a successfully critiqued book doesn't give experience, which adds security against exploitation. Anything that shouldn't be in the library won't give experience, so you won't have people putting in inappropriate things for easy leveling.

EDIT: Doing stuff on the stage should give experience for the same reasons, but the numbers for writers/directors/actors are a lot more complicated and I'm not sure what I'd do with them.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Honestly, I'd love to see more things give experience. Harvesting, planting, crafting, basically everything. A "good" way would be to assign a gain per second, and then give that much per second of balance lost (probably before modifiers, so people with harvesting gloves would get experience twice as fast due to harvesting twice as fast).

Yes, this opens up some potential for abuse (for instance, sitting in a manse AFK continually shredding and recreating the same piece of clothing), but these people should become relatively obvious to the admins to pick off.
    Ssaliss said:
    Honestly, I'd love to see more things give experience. Harvesting, planting, crafting, basically everything. A "good" way would be to assign a gain per second, and then give that much per second of balance lost (probably before modifiers, so people with harvesting gloves would get experience twice as fast due to harvesting twice as fast).

Yes, this opens up some potential for abuse (for instance, sitting in a manse AFK continually shredding and recreating the same piece of clothing), but these people should become relatively obvious to the admins to pick off.
    Well, if it's done in a smart way, it won't be a problem. Try farming levels on WoW from mining alone, for instance... 10xp per node might be good at level 1-5.... but at level 30, it means you're going to need to mine several tens of thousand nodes to get a level.

• Yeah, the experience would definitely be lower than bashing (for instance, 30 essence per herb harvested would, for me, equal about 100k essence per hour; hardly comparable to bashing). But even so, people have been AFK farming for less.