Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Gasp. :o
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I also love alfredo sauce
    Oddly enough Kidney beans, alfredo bacon sauce, and rotini go together
  • Karlach said:
    No, I get sad when people totally miss my god awful pun punchlines but that's it.
    Your punchlines, if you will.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Ieptix said:
    Karlach said:
    No, I get sad when people totally miss my god awful pun punchlines but that's it.
    Your punchlines, if you will.
    Y'know, that one was almost as bad as his usually is.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited August 2014

Karlach said:
      a passive aggressive sarcastic like flag!
    This is my favorite kind of flag! Though sometimes most of the time my likes are genuine.

• Explicative
  • edited August 2014
    "Your eyes water as a fresh plume of tainted smoke pours out of a vent, causing you to gag and sputter violently as it seeps into your lungs."

Tempted to find all of the lines like this that I can and make triggers to replace them with something more lore/immersion friendly >_>. I mean Reyl is Viscanti, she IS taint, and she was born in a city where tainted fumes are pretty much a way of life lol. I don't mean to criticise the builders because i really admire their work but there are certain times where room descs and ambients 'force' a reaction that isn't IC for a lot of characters. It's probably too much work for the divine to make a system that checks for undeath or race or whatever before playing an ambient but that would be really cool. You could do other stuff specific to other races too, like lobos smelling things other races wouldn't smell, or merians feeling dried out in the desert, or something hehe
  • I would say it's the other way around. If it was written in as an ambient, it's canon, and trying to RP your character as being "immune" to tainted smoke would then be, at best, a harmless lie, or to bring it to its exaggerated conclusion, power-playing.

Now, it's a different matter if it was stated explicitly in lore that Viscanti are, as a rule, immune to tainted smoke of all kinds. That would mean there is a contradiction in lore when ambient messages apply to all Viscanti, and that one or the other should be edited so that things are consistent again. However, I'm not quite as familiar with the admin's writings on Viscanti and the taint, so I can't say if this is indeed the case, but I'm quite sure that Viscanti as a race are not uniform, and it's entirely plausible (or rather, quite clearly implied) that not all Viscanti have to be immune to tainted smoke.

Lastly, there's always the far-fetched explanation that the particular vent the ambient is describing happens to have been sabotaged by a Celestian who injected some Light-inducing particles to the smoke it expels, causing Viscanti, and all sentient creatures in particular, to retch as their body rejects the disgusting foreign substance. Obviously, editting the ambient to describe so would be the more reasonable action to take in this case, not to mention it would be amusing.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    This Year In Review is going to be a challenge.  @-)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Just blame everything on a time loop, it appears we're stuck repeating the past two years and that experts are putting their brains together trying to figure it out.

Or something.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    When in doubt, blame @Ileein.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited August 2014
    @lerad there isn't THAT much viscanti lore, but what i've found (alongside pretty much everything in the geomancy skillset) leans more towards a pretty serious degree of immunity, ie:

and also HELP VISCANTI includes
    ADVANTAGES:
    o Can breathe poison gas upon reaching level 50.
    o Regenerate health and mana while in Tainted land, level 3.
    o Immune from poison gas.
    o Resistance to poison damage, level 1.

so yes in my mind something like the exhaust from the broadcast centre wouldn't bother Reyl. The trash chutes in the waste facility are another matter entirely, however.
    I think I'm beginning to be amused by the fact that they had to send painting instead of the real thing...
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Lasts longer.
    I think it's more of a rarity thing, it's okay. I'm glad I'm popular enough to you guys
  • I thought you were supposed to give a person a horse's head, not a cow's. (I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me.)

• looking through some of the past class reports, and the responses by players given to them...just makes me facepalm. I honestly wonder how these people got the creditials to become envoys...
  • I think, mostly, it was a "nobody wants the job, but the Patron picked this guy."

• Elanorwen said:
    Lerad said:
    I would say it's the other way around. If it was written in as an ambient, it's canon, and trying to RP your character as being "immune" to tainted smoke would then be, at best, a harmless lie, or to bring it to its exaggerated conclusion, power-playing.

Now, it's a different matter if it was stated explicitly in lore that Viscanti are, as a rule, immune to tainted smoke of all kinds. That would mean there is a contradiction in lore when ambient messages apply to all Viscanti, and that one or the other should be edited so that things are consistent again. However, I'm not quite as familiar with the admin's writings on Viscanti and the taint, so I can't say if this is indeed the case, but I'm quite sure that Viscanti as a race are not uniform, and it's entirely plausible (or rather, quite clearly implied) that not all Viscanti have to be immune to tainted smoke.

Lastly, there's always the far-fetched explanation that the particular vent the ambient is describing happens to have been sabotaged by a Celestian who injected some Light-inducing particles to the smoke it expels, causing Viscanti, and all sentient creatures in particular, to retch as their body rejects the disgusting foreign substance. Obviously, editting the ambient to describe so would be the more reasonable action to take in this case, not to mention it would be amusing.
    There are plenty of messages that don't make sense in the end. Like a crow user gagging as he/she watches another crow user nomming on carrion off their nest. I mean come on, you do it TOO. Of course, it could be the wrong sort of carrion... like you're very much into deer and elfen meat, while the other person likes his cow and chicken.... but I doubt that would cause a gagging reaction either.
    I always thought about that idea, and how peculiar it was that, as Crow user, I was getting a line of myself gagging as I watched someone else eat from their nest. I always had it put aside that one day I'd ask if Crow users and Undead would get a message of "your mouth waters as you watch <blah> devour the carrion from their nest" or in the case of undead or crow eating a corpse "mouth waters as you watch <blah> devour <corpse>", or something along those lines.
    Find clan helps from 2007 that need either severe updating or deleting, but... they're so old! In internet years, that's an eternity!
  • edited August 2014
    Actually now that I think about it, several abilities in crow, and generally all old skills, could seriously use some upgrading. I admit it was a let down when I used my first swoop, you expect it to be more frightening.
    You mean, new messages?
  • Enyalida said:
    You mean, new messages?
    yep
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Skill message changes don't need to be envoyed, IIRC. I think you can talk to your guild and then your patron about it.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Um.... please don't start changing every skill and aff message in the game just because. 

Instead of wrecking systems left and right you can always just gag and replace the text with whatever you would like to see.

• Reyl said:
    Is fixing broken quests one of those things that can't happen until the overhaul is finished? Because every time I get excited and decide to work one out, everyone tells me it's broken, and not to bother. And all the quests I DO know work, I know this because other people have them well and truly under their control...
    That's kinda the thing though. Why should anyone have to guess if a quest is broken or was broken and has been fixed?

Is Icewynd broken? Is Forsaken broken? Is the Aetherepic broken? Who can say?

Couldn't we get some sort of status flag in the QUEST command?
  • It would certainly be nice, but I personally think it's a little too much work for too little reward. Changelogs are one thing, you make a change, you update it in a changelog. That can be integrated as part of the action process. Whereas a quest status list would mean someone would need to constantly keep an ear open for someone complaining that a quest broke, and then update/flag it as such. And if no one complains, or the complaints are too soft to be heard, then the list would be incomplete, inaccurate anyway.

It's better to work on the assumption that all quests are working, and when you encounter a bug, report it, so that it can eventually be fixed - bugs getting squashed does notify you, after all, if you reported it.

• it really is so hard to tell though. Like, trying to determine whether an NPC is not offering a quest because the quest is broken, or whether they are not offering the quest because you have to greet them at nighttime in winter or whatever. I don't want to waste the admins time and distract from real issues by sending erroneous bugs every time I'm just doing something wrong.
This discussion has been closed.