Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• edited August 2014

Siam said:
    Skill message changes don't need to be envoyed, IIRC. I think you can talk to your guild and then your patron about it.

Llandros said:
    Um.... please don't start changing every skill and aff message in the game just because. 

Instead of wrecking systems left and right you can always just gag and replace the text with whatever you would like to see.

Well yes im sure the administration would take into consideration how much a mess changing skill messages can cause to systems and wouldnt change things willy-nilly. Admittedly though, simply changing a skill for yourself isnt very fun or practical. In the end, you know in your heart it is still what it was, just you personalized it for yourself only. Besides, changing a message like Swoop isnt about how it interests you personally, it is about the message that comes with the skill itself, a representation of the class you choose to dedicate your character to. Thus, why I said I wish Swoop was something much more..well 'more', since it should be representing the terror of crow, rather than just "pulled up into trees, heart stops".
  • Arcanis said:

Well yes im sure the administration would take into consideration how much a mess changing skill messages can cause to systems and wouldnt change things willy-nilly. Admittedly though, simply changing a skill for yourself isnt very fun or practical. In the end, you know in your heart it is still what it was, just you personalized it for yourself only. Besides, changing a message like Swoop isnt about how it interests you personally, it is about the message that comes with the skill itself, a representation of the class you choose to dedicate your character to. Thus, why I said I wish Swoop was something much more..well 'more', since it should be representing the terror of crow, rather than just "pulled up into trees, heart stops".
    I read what you wrote and understand where you are coming from. It is a good idea that should never ever be implemented. 

It will 100% end up with people gaming the combat system under the guise of arpee. Strict oversight only means that it will take a little longer before people are changing their attack messages to look like aff lines or emotes. It will happen. People will do it. Bad times will be had by all.

• I don't think you understand at all what he meant...pretty sure the personalizing bit was in reference to gagging messages to replace with your own fluff, not a suggestion!
  • 9 ikons to go and I've completed my Magnagora/Earth collections.

• Tomo said:
    I don't think you understand at all what he meant...pretty sure the personalizing bit was in reference to gagging messages to replace with your own fluff, not a suggestion!
    Except he said exactly the opposite of that.

Why would he think there would need to be admin supervision on his personal gagging and replacing text on his own mud client? Not to mention he specifically stated that gagging it with your own fluff was insufficient and gave reasons why the crow message should be allowed to be changed. So, kinda seems like a suggestion.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    As far as I can tell,  he was saying that there wouldn't be admin approval of changing  the real crow text, in response to your first remark. For clarity, he could have mirrored your formatting by putting his first sentence in its own paragraph, but who... cares?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Llandros said:
    I read what you wrote and understand where you are coming from. It is a good idea that should never ever be implemented. 

It will 100% end up with people gaming the combat system under the guise of arpee. Strict oversight only means that it will take a little longer before people are changing their attack messages to look like aff lines or emotes. It will happen. People will do it. Bad times will be had by all.
    There's this skillset that exists... not sure if you've heard of it... it's called Dramaturgy. (Then there's illusions that I'd gladly love to see gone, too)

Granted, Dramaturgy is limited by the fact that it is an emote message and as such can be colored in a particular fashion and systems made to very easily ignore text that arrives in that particular color scheme.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Gah! I can't come up with a scene for climax
  • Oh my, I mustn't have come off quite clear. My comment was in reference to your idea of being able to personally change what an ability looks like via triggers. What I meant to say was that that wouldn't really feel satisfactory. It would generally be just a 1st person message change.

As for the Concept of customizing 3rd and 2nd person attack messages, I fully agree that would be murder ( get it? Crow. Murder! Punny).

P.S: certain people are already attempting to use dramaturgy's custom capabilities to game combat systems by mimicking attack messages, which is completely against the original concept of dramaturgy and will just bring out a painful new side to bard combat.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I never knew Dramaturgy lines were classed as emotes, that makes the whole thing a lot easier to deal with.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

TIL if you have a TF and a TDF, you still end up with your skills nerfed, and they don't cancel each other out.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Lerad said:
    It would certainly be nice, but I personally think it's a little too much work for too little reward. Changelogs are one thing, you make a change, you update it in a changelog. That can be integrated as part of the action process. Whereas a quest status list would mean someone would need to constantly keep an ear open for someone complaining that a quest broke, and then update/flag it as such. And if no one complains, or the complaints are too soft to be heard, then the list would be incomplete, inaccurate anyway.

It's better to work on the assumption that all quests are working, and when you encounter a bug, report it, so that it can eventually be fixed - bugs getting squashed does notify you, after all, if you reported it.
    For me part of the problem is the bug list is just too big of a black hole where bugs often doing with quests get lost. Incoming bugs are checked and assigned, from there it could be tied into the QUEST command as possibly down with a date. If you look under QUEST and see something that is long outstanding then at least going in you have some idea it is down.

Even failing that there seems the need for something along the lines of a quest flag for a bug. So that the senior admins can do reports and filter for possible longstanding unresolved quest problems (perhaps something like that already exists).

It does seem a shame that the core system doesn't have more robust quest support, but Lusternia's staff is stuck with what they inherit from corporate.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I miss Crumkane and Jadice.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    What are gods?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Munsia said:
    What are gods?
    Awesome.

<3 Shikari (and others).
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    God disfavors are the worst.

I wish they'd just offer their order members a chance for a promotion in the order or a long truefavor if they settle the dispute themselves, instead of going around throwing their weight around and messing up people's ability to play a game.

It's a game, while it does provide a unique RP perspective, you could provide your order members the same RP perspective by letting them handle it, and giving your order members a boost, instead of taking away from someone else.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Perhaps instead of nerfing stats and skills, disfavors could instead make a target free pk for members of their order for X amount of deaths (X determined by how much essence the god throws at you).
    I think context really is necessary, sure it's possibly better for your mortals to do the work, but you also need to have some way of dealing with direct insults and challenges to your Divine superiority.

There may be a perception of unnecessary overreach, but ultimately if you got TDF'd you did something to piss off a God that probably wasn't necessary. If it was an opposing Divine just spin it as "They need their gods to fight their battles for them / mark of pride, taking one for the team" etc. It sucks to have a stat nerf and skill nerf but it doesn't break the game.

I realized today that I am an unrestrained racist....in Lusternia. Which is funny to me because I'm the person who gets incredibly offended at racist jokes IRL
  • I really thought @Nocht was going to kill me since we lost the hamster hunt

It's true, I really am you.
  • Naime said:
    I really thought @Nocht was going to kill me since we lost the hamster hunt
    I was on a mission.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Munsia said:
    I realized today that I am an unrestrained racist....in Lusternia. Which is funny to me because I'm the person who gets incredibly offended at racist jokes IRLAr
    Arguably, Lusternia has actual races with actual differences, and IRL doesn't, which makes a pretty big difference.
  • There are differences. They're just a bit more subtle.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2014
    Iasmos said:
    There are differences. They're just a bit more subtle.
    I believe the word you are looking for is "superficial," not "subtle".  Some "differences" are not subtle at all (which tends to be what enables RL racism), but when examined they are not really differences at all.

Subtle, to me at least, implies that there are differences beneath the surface that could justify treating another race differently if you delve deeply enough, but people can't (and shouldn't) really be categorized like that.
  • Some are superficial, yes. Some are subtle, as in unseen, like genetic predispositions to certain conditions.

I don't think we should get into a discussion on RL racism here, even if we all agree it's a bad thing.

Anyone know if Karma Justice works in PvE? For reference here's the tooltip:

o The Karmic Blessing of Justice
        - All damage against you from others is partially returned.

• Karlach said:
    Anyone know if Karma Justice works in PvE? For reference here's the tooltip:

o The Karmic Blessing of Justice
        - All damage against you from others is partially returned.
    I have been told it only works on players, that Karma Justice is basically the same as Lesser Justice Domoth blessing.
    This aetherflare is going to fire the moment we all log off.

Seriously flares, where are you :(

• Karlach said:
    I think context really is necessary, sure it's possibly better for your mortals to do the work, but you also need to have some way of dealing with direct insults and challenges to your Divine superiority.

There may be a perception of unnecessary overreach, but ultimately if you got TDF'd you did something to piss off a God that probably wasn't necessary. If it was an opposing Divine just spin it as "They need their gods to fight their battles for them / mark of pride, taking one for the team" etc. It sucks to have a stat nerf and skill nerf but it doesn't break the game.

Like many other things, that which works in a larger population game can be excessive in a smaller pop one.
    Lendren said:
    Munsia said:
    I realized today that I am an unrestrained racist....in Lusternia. Which is funny to me because I'm the person who gets incredibly offended at racist jokes IRLAr
    Arguably, Lusternia has actual races with actual differences, and IRL doesn't, which makes a pretty big difference.
    Like fur...

FUR SUPERIORITY. 
This discussion has been closed.