Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• Yes they can.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    How is anorexia cured, at the moment? Just focus mind? No smoking?
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    It will be cured by lucidityslush when it's all done for overhaul and focus mind until that gets removed

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    So, in theory, isn't this an upgrade while anorexia is getting switched over? Since anorexia blocks eating/drinking for now, that means focus mind is it's only cure?

Shockingly, as long as impatience exists, this change shouldn't have a big impact on Nihilists.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Silvanus said:
    So, in theory, isn't this an upgrade while anorexia is getting switched over? Since anorexia blocks eating/drinking for now, that means focus mind is it's only cure?

Shockingly, as long as impatience exists, this change shouldn't have a big impact on Nihilists.
    when it's converted, anorexia won't block lucidityslush (the cure for anorexia) and the aff to block lucidity slush won't be introduced until later. So it'll still have two cures, focus mind and lucidityslush. It will block all other sipping though. 

It's a downgrade because you won't be able to stop curing of anorexia besides stacking tons of mental affs (which are still cured by focus mind as well). Though I suppose not needing asthma anymore can be considered an upgrade.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I need to discuss it with Estarra and Saesh, but since I overlooked this particular issue, I may leave out anorexia entirely for now and convert the four cure-blocking afflictions all at once later down the road.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • That might be a better idea. We might want to keep lock mechanics as-is, and then when most of the other supporting infrastructure is in place, convert the entire locking mechanic into the new system.

Whether that's possible or not... well, unforseen problems will always crop up, but we can handle those one at a time, I guess.

• Players always finding flaws in our plans. And we would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Saesh said:
    Players always finding flaws in our plans. And we would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
    Does that make @Shuyin Fred, @Lerad Shaggy, @Xenthos Scooby, @Synkarin Velma, and @Silvanus Daphne?
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Silvanus said:

Anorexia could always be cured with smoking. Smoking is not blocked by anorexia.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • whatcures anorexia
    The affliction "anorexia" has the following cures: focus mind and smoke coltsfoot

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone happen to have a link to the original overhaul proposal? Estarra references it in the race section for the original post, but I can't find it.

Elanorwen said:
    Silvanus said:

Anorexia could always be cured with smoking. Smoking is not blocked by anorexia.
    We were talking about when anorexia gets switched over to the overhaul system and is cured by lucidityslush, @Silvanus was clarifying because he didn't realize anorexia wouldn't block lucidityslush. So when it's converted it won't be cured by smoking.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Smoking is spiritual now right? Just rename anorexia and make it some sort of spiritual malady and leave it on smoking. Keep current effects.
  • Balance requires that the "Stop people from curing Internal Afflictions" and "Stop People from curing Mental Afflictions" effects be separated.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    The first part of this week's Overhaul update has gone live. Dementia
    has been replaced with clumsiness, and hypochondria with paranoia. In
    addition to the affliction swapping, the following changes have also
    been included, either due to redundancies or phasing out:

-----------

GLAMOURS - COLOURBURST

Syntax: WEAVE COLOURBURST
    Damage Type: 100% Magic
    Damage Source: Magical (Cha)

You can weave light into powerful bursts of prismatic colours, which
    will confuse and confound your enemies and blister away their flesh.
    There is also a chance that you will randomly weave a second colour,
    causing twice the mental chaos. If your victim is not blind, they will
    take greater damage from indigo colours, and suffer twice the number of
    colour effects.

Red: Paralysis
    Orange: Stupidity
    Yellow: Dementia
    Green: Epilepsy
    Blue: Recklessness
    Indigo: Damage
    Violet: Clumsiness

-----------

Two colours with the same affliction now?
  • Typo.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • o The Phobia ability in Telepathy has been removed.

This...could cause some problems. Phobias was a big part of the stream of mental afflictions telepaths could give, additionally because phobia was generally random but gave rather useful afflictions. Any plans on introducing abilities in replacement?
  • The idea of the overhaul is to cut down on afflictions. We don't want to introduce more afflictions in replacement.

The ideal end result is to have a combat system where the same potency is available with less afflictions. Telepathy will probably need to be tweaked if removing phobias will reduce their ability reach strategic combat goals.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Lerad said:
    strategic combat goals.
    I needed this laugh. Thank you.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Well, yeah, maybe Telepathy doesn't even have strategic goals that are reachable at this point anyway, I don't know. In which case, adding replacements to phobias probably won't solve that either.

• edited November 2014
    Lerad said:
    The idea of the overhaul is to cut down on afflictions. We don't want to introduce more afflictions in replacement.

The ideal end result is to have a combat system where the same potency is available with less afflictions. Telepathy will probably need to be tweaked if removing phobias will reduce their ability reach strategic combat goals.

I did not mean to introduce new afflictions, but to provide some replacements for the removal of Phobia. Phobia could also be used on the Sub and Id channel, meaning a common telepath tactic was to Phobia, Mindblast, Phobia for damage and two random afflicts. It was quite helpful in reaching the goal.

Lerad said:
    Well, yeah, maybe Telepathy doesn't even have strategic goals that are reachable at this point anyway, I don't know. In which case, adding replacements to phobias probably won't solve that either.

Telepathy was once quite potent when dominate + debating was used (admittedly it was a bit abusive), however even till now Telepathy was still viable. Aquachemantics Telepaths are perhaps the best set for the kit.

I wouldnt mind in place of removing some of its potency that a few utilitry abilities were placed. Telepathy was always considered much weaker than its sister skill of Telekinesis in terms of defensive (And even offensive frankly) use. Forcefield is perhaps the most potent Mage defensive buff, with a mage easily gaining a 5000-6000 damage buffer. I wouldnt mind if telepaths (not to state to create a copy) gained something alongside this concept. Perhaps a small mana shield around them that would absorb 1000 points of damage. This is all of course just wishful brainstorming.
  • A lot of this is just going to have to go through the envoy system. They do what they can with switching things out when reasonable but this is fairly complicated and will require discussion.

• The assortment of fear affs didn't build to any particular strategy (other than vestiphobia being annoying). As a result, we removed the phobia/fear related afflictions. In this example, "common strategy," does not mean, "good strategy." Throwing spaghetti at a wall style affliction strategies are not something we can really account for balance wise.

I'm not interested in adding anything to telepathy defense wise, especially along the lines of large health buffers. To be entirely honest, it's a hard sell that mages need much of anything right now in terms of large buffs.

• Saesh said:

The assortment of fear affs didn't build to any particular strategy (other than vestiphobia being annoying). As a result, we removed the phobia/fear related afflictions. In this example, "common strategy," does not mean, "good strategy." Throwing spaghetti at a wall style affliction strategies are not something we can really account for balance wise.

I'm not interested in adding anything to telepathy defense wise, especially along the lines of large health buffers. To be entirely honest, it's a hard sell that mages need much of anything right now in terms of large buffs.

Are you able to get stats on how many characters are trans in which skillsets?

• Daganev said:
    Saesh said:

The assortment of fear affs didn't build to any particular strategy (other than vestiphobia being annoying). As a result, we removed the phobia/fear related afflictions. In this example, "common strategy," does not mean, "good strategy." Throwing spaghetti at a wall style affliction strategies are not something we can really account for balance wise.

Are you able to get stats on how many characters are trans in which skillsets?
    Odds are those numbers don't mean anything at all. I mean, Ssaliss is trans hexes...
  • I don't. Ieptix might, I'll ask when I see him if he doesn't read this first. Though I will say how many players trans any given skill isn't much of (if at all) a driving factor behind how we change things. Too many variable to account for regarding why people choose their skills.
  • Saesh said:
    I don't. Ieptix might, I'll ask when I see him if he doesn't read this first. Though I will say how many players trans any given skill isn't much of (if at all) a driving factor behind how we change things. Too many variable to account for regarding why people choose their skills.
    I would assume the numbers are only meaningful without additional data  if they they are extreme. i.e. 80/20 split, or a 50/50 split.
  • Ehh, even then it's iffy. I don't have the numbers, but it's a safe bet to say there are more healers than astrologers, yet astrology actually offers more in terms of killing capability than healing for PKers. They just reperesent wildly different approaches to combat, and comparing them next to one another doesn't tell me much other than that they are very different.

Tertiaries are weird like that. There are obvious outliers in both directions, those that are the obvious winners (i.e. tarot) and those that aren't (i.e. Crow for warriors) but for the most part I don't know if the numbers really tell us much other than the really obvious.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:

I wouldnt mind in place of removing some of its potency that a few utilitry abilities were placed. Telepathy was always considered much weaker than its sister skill of Telekinesis in terms of defensive (And even offensive frankly) use. Forcefield is perhaps the most potent Mage defensive buff, with a mage easily gaining a 5000-6000 damage buffer. I wouldnt mind if telepaths (not to state to create a copy) gained something alongside this concept. Perhaps a small mana shield around them that would absorb 1000 points of damage. This is all of course just wishful brainstorming.
    If you're a faeling, sure, you really need the buffer as a mage. Then again, the way combat is set up at present, everyone goes for the giant hp bombs to try and get the kill. Still, psi burnout is rather more a case of adding insult to injury when you're going to die anyway. Enjoy 1 hour of having 1 less skillset available to you. I guess what I'm trying to say is... this is a combat overhaul... i.e. aimed at PvP. Bringing up forcefield in the discussion is rather a bad idea imo because forcefield is a silly ability to use when you're fighting. Sure, it's awesome for bashing, but otherwise all I can say about it is... 'meh'. You'll either end up tanking the damage anyway, in which case there's something more useful you could've done with the psi balance or you'll end up not tanking the damage in which case you can suffer through death and psi burnout.

As to mages not needing buffs... well, okay then, I'd love to hear a good, surefire strategy for pulling off a heartburst 1:1 before a warrior can get crit head wounds.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.