Simple Ideas

Comments

• way to retain players everyone. Well done indeed.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited November 2014
    Holy hell - If you can't take criticism and disagreement in your life, you're gonna have a bad time. No one said it was a dumb idea, just that they didn't think it was that big of an issue.

You're free to disagree and criticize anything I say, but I'm going to stick to my arguments and unless you say something that convinces me otherwise, I'm going to continue on my merry way. Nobody is trying to be elitist, nobody is trying to chase away players, I'm just simply stating my opinion on things. If you can't understand that and you can't discuss anything without getting your panties in a bunch at the first sign of disagreement, then we're probably better off without you. 

Edit: And lets be honest, if your best response to not liking the idea is because 'so and so wants to be elitist', you don't have much ground to stand on anyway.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ladies, ladies. You're all pretty.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    ...my feedback is now considered off-topic, got it.

Idea: Allow overwriting of sorcelglass applications on normal vials, not just artifact. Reset the decay timer and all, that would be pretty sweet.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • FIGURINELIST command, that list all your figurines, their level, decay and how much esteem they are holding.

Pleeeease.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Niun said:
    FIGURINELIST command, that list all your figurines, their level, decay and how much esteem they are holding.

Pleeeease.
    itemlist figurines
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Neos said:
    Niun said:
    FIGURINELIST command, that list all your figurines, their level, decay and how much esteem they are holding.

Pleeeease.
    itemlist figurines
    My saviour!
    Eritheyl said:
    Dude, you tagged my attempt to defuse the situation with humor off topic. I don't want to hear it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Shaddus said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Dude, you tagged my attempt to defuse the situation with humor off topic. I don't want to hear it.
    I did? Must've been a misclick on my phone :(
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Damn fat fingers!
  • edited November 2014
    I'd just like to first give a thank you to @Ieptix for putting in the Mountain Observe capability which has made scaling -much- more enjoyable.

Now I'd like to give some other suggestions for environment interaction. Since the introduction of the new weather system, we have been influenced by the many different types of weather affects upon us and our travels, however since this is still generally new, there are few abilities (shamanism aside) that interact or counter such things. Suggestions below along with some random ones.

BEASTMASTERY:

Thick Coat: increase the coat of your beast, providing it with the warmth to travel through cold/snowy terrain unhindered. (when mounted, cold wont slow down movement speed) (Can add ability to travel through heat as well).

Enlargen Wings:  Prerequisite of wings. Enlargen and strengthen the wings of your beast, allowing it to ascend and fly in even the harshest of weather conditions (can fly in high winds).

Increase Bulk: Prerequisite of Balance. Increase the weight of your beast, enhancing your resistance to forced movement when mounted as well as increasing affects based on weight.

Additionally, could we make a slight tweak to have it that when you BEAST SUMMON or BEAST WHISTLE your beast over, it immediately begins to follow you, rather than having to regain balance (beast whistle in this case) to order it to? I know it is small inconvenience that doesnt really cause much issue, but just a small request.
  • Don't think increase bulk is a good idea. It'll have quite a big impact on combat, and that's not even shaman combat.

The other two would be nice, though you'll want to consult shamans and see if they should be disabled when in combat so as not to screw with shamans using weather.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'd like to see these things diminish the effects considerably, but not remove them. Having tried to traverse through heat and gale, finding my movement speed reduced 90%, I think the effects of cold/heat/wind can be too extreme, but I like that weather has effects. Maybe have these abilities reduce the effects down to 10%, which is enough to be noticeable once in a while, but won't really slow you down.

On bulk: ^What he said.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Arcanis said:

Additionally, could we make a slight tweak to have it that when you BEAST SUMMON or BEAST WHISTLE your beast over, it immediately begins to follow you, rather than having to regain balance (beast whistle in this case) to order it to? I know it is small inconvenience that doesnt really cause much issue, but just a small request.
    Usually I'll just trigger it to SM ADD FREE ORDER "whatever" FOLLOW ME
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited November 2014
    Arcanis said:

BEASTMASTERY:

Thick Coat: increase the coat of your beast, providing it with the warmth to travel through cold/snowy terrain unhindered. (when mounted, cold wont slow down movement speed) (Can add ability to travel through heat as well).

Enlargen Wings:  Prerequisite of wings. Enlargen and strengthen the wings of your beast, allowing it to ascend and fly in even the harshest of weather conditions (can fly in high winds).

Increase Bulk: Prerequisite of Balance. Increase the weight of your beast, enhancing your resistance to forced movement when mounted as well as increasing affects based on weight.

I doubt we'll see either of these. First things first, we already have a demigod power - weatherproof to mitigate the effects of cold/warm weather. On top of that, there are artifact runes that you can attach to pieces of clothing that do the same thing.

Second thing would be the wind. There is an artifact that allows you to calm the wind in a location for an amount of time, x times/day. Sorry, that's as best as you can do in regards to flying.

Third thing, on balancing - Again, there are artifacts that increase one's resistance to forced movement. Give a bigger boost to movement resist to beastmastery and who'll be buying said artifacts?

EDIT: I also doubt you understand the way slower movement in cold weather works. Ever been on a motorcycle going 90mph while not dressed warm? Try it sometime, see what that does for you.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    The tempest brooch allows you to fly in high winds, with a longer balance time.

Anyway, I think weather slowdown effects are pretty dumb and would love more ways to overcome them. Especially wind.

It doesn't really help shamans, so very little combat impact, and really just a general pain in the ass

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited November 2014
    It does help shamans some. Seems like it'd be easy to have fierceweather provide a certain amount of "protection piercing" or slowdown intensifying and lower natural effects across the board if it's such a problem.
    I'm still not sure why weather was implemented in the first place.
    Iirc, there were three reasons: the old system wad complicated at the back end, the old weather was totally ignored, and they thought a weather worker skillset would be cool and needed to change 1 and 2 to do it.

• Shaddus said:
    I'm still not sure why weather was implemented in the first place.

Enyalida said:
    Iirc, there were three reasons: the old system wad complicated at the back end, the old weather was totally ignored, and they thought a weather worker skillset would be cool and needed to change 1 and 2 to do it.

The problem with that was that the old system was actually a nice aesthetic..and the new one is just a general pain. I believe Iosai basically was in charge of the entire thing and built it from the ground up as well as had plans for it, but with her now gone, I think weather is just stuck as it is.

Shaman combat would really not be affected by helping move better or fly through weather. If (and I am speaking on the idea that there are shaman combatants) a shaman was trying to utilize a weather status, they would be using cold for shivers (thus cold) & heat for sweat. A shaman really wont be depending on things like blizzard blinding someone since weathersight negates that, or movement issues since any form of Bix can thwart that, let alone galloping. A shaman will generally have weather at a stage where they can cast poisonfrogs, lightning or snowmen, all else is pretty pointless.

My idea would not only provide a means to travel through harsh weather (which, let's be honest, should already exist as a practicality to life in the Basin) as well as making Beasts more useful for utility reasons.
    I'm not necessarily espousing any of those three ideas myself, nor supporting in general the current weather system, that's just the impression I got from working with Iosai testing bugs and submitting ideas when the system/skillset came out.

Yeah, I know how shaman combat works (being one of said shaman combatants, I actually flexed back into it three-ish days ago). Part of the payoff for the frankly large power and time expenditures required to use the weather-based abilities is a general slowing of enemies in the demesne, which druids are otherwise most poor at of all the melders. Saying that weather slowing has no effect at all on Shamans is false, it's one of the  perks the tert has over the other choices.

Your idea is fine, have someone submit it as a report! As one of the two envoys whose guildskills would be affected by weather changes, I'd be 100% happy to support some more ways to mitigate weather appropriately... with some mechanism to counter that mitigation specific to shamanism (like fierceweather, which is further limited to demesne and is subject to lust).
  • The old weather system was pretty lame. "Whoo, the wind blows. You feel cold." "Uh, okay."

I rather like weather actually having a proper impact. Slowdowns are perfectly fine, a minor inconvenience that would induce a shrug unless you're having such a bad day you'd explode at the slightest provocation (in which case it's better to log off and take a nap)... until it's like 90% slowdown, and then it becomes near unplayable levels of pain-in-the-ass.

All we need is the ability to turn that 90% into something more manageable at will, like by wearing proper clothes (helps give tailoring a point outside of aesthetics too, another good thing about new weather) would be very nice. Only problem is, even with the most proper clothing, the 90% doesn't get much better. Tweaks to the tailoring warmth system if we don't want to add things to beastmastery would be nice. Make warmth actually have an impact that things like weatherproof and the artifact can stack on top of, and cut down the slowdown to a manageable level, and also add in negative warmth to counter heat. Some things like that would be nice. Then maybe I'd retire Lerad from being an exhibitionist after all these decades.

Druids have briars, so not really that poor at slowing movement through a demesne

I think we're really digging deep to say that weather slowing movement is really a big deal for fighting as a shaman. Sure, it may help once in a blue moon, but you'll probably never notice if the effects were suddenly ninja-removed.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited December 2014

I would notice. I instantly noticed that Chade had an unusually high amount of weather mitigation back when he played and a lot of extra mitigation (the runes, the demi power) came out, it makes a pretty big difference if you're chasing someone through your demesne, far far more difference than briarwalls.

Changes to clothing warmth would be a good way to attack the problem, though that might actually make things more difficult and tedious for hot temperatures and seasonal changes. The overall effect wind has could be looked at, as it's the hardest to currently mitigate. It might also be worth requesting that the upper natural caps on wind speed be lowered in most area most of the year, so that certain areas aren't consistently blowing gale-force winds. If there is interest admin-side in tinkering further with the weather system, those 'normalizing' changes could  even be subject to short-duration semi-random "Weather events", making travel more difficult but only for short periods instead of full seasons.

EDIT: It would also be worth it to have lessons in Environment give automatic 'weather reduction' scaled from inept to trans. 
    Could we please have the owner of these marionette curios show when PROBE'd?
    I think you're definitely exaggerating how much slower move speeds affects shamanism combat

Briars will help you out much more anytime, having to writhe takes 1.5 secs for contort or 2.5 for writhing (2 secs if they summer/tiph)

at 86% slowing (26% hot temp, 60% wind), I'm moving at 1 room a second with only adroitness up and wearing cement socks (should counter each other, but full disclosure) , so I'll move faster through a demesne with weather effects up than with briars. I can also include more move+ stuff, like sandals etc to bring that number up. Yeah, you can probably slow people down somewhat more, but you'll still be better off with briars, they'll have to stop after moving each room, they won't necessarily stop after each room with weather movements.

As I said, it wouldn't really affect shamanism combat at all, they still have options to slow people down from leaving, it's really just a big annoyance and more ways to mitigate it (or it's removal entirely) would definitely be welcome.  

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Just casting briars will not in any way make you have to writhe after every single move. I haven't done any rigorous testing of the rates of wall spawning (I might now), but I'd estimate that you're likely to hit 1-2 briarwalls before you leave a demesne, 5-6 room moves. It's not practical to go through the entire demesne and manually cast a briarwall on every single exit.

Shamanism options to slow people leaving (besides weather) are all negated by climbing up before trying to move, they're all ground-only and do not hinder that type of movement. 

More ways to mitigate and generally interact with the weather would be fantastic, I agree. There is no reason that has to be done in such a way to impact Shaman demesne weather.

PS: Also, there are some other minor effects of weather that are easily forgotten. In really hot terrains, for instance, natural, over-time hunger attrition is doubled. I don't think anyone would have ever noticed that, if Iosai hadn't come out and mentioned it.
  • Could someone create HELP LOGINNOTE, please? Can't find documentation on it in the helpfiles. Should be useful to have.

Could we possibly have a config to default inventory to the column form? 

I'm so going to alias that in on my side, it's so much better.
  • Inventory in column form? Are you talking about II, or have I missed something?