Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Was just an idle suggestion, delete the things if you want. 

I expect to still be able to skunk spray people, even if it doesn't add an aff. Because it's funny.
  • The only other thing that responds to stinking in any way is Scent, but that's only stinked rooms which makes people unscentable. Stinking people are still scentable, AFAIK.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited December 2014
    Ssaliss said:
    The only other thing that responds to stinking in any way is Scent, but that's only stinked rooms which makes people unscentable. Stinking people are still scentable, AFAIK.
    It doesn't make as much sense to me, generally. Some critter sneezes on me and I start smelling like I haven't showered in a month, but if I go ahead and NOT shower in a month, I can still smell like roses? What?

I'd say give us artisan-built bathrooms. :D

EDIT: Bathtubs, showers, etc, I mean. Maybe a Jacuzzi or three... I mean it's not like we can't have objects actually powered by adding powerstones to the design... why not a whirlpool tub?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited December 2014
    @Saesh @Ieptix: What will happen to delayed cure afflictions? Will punctured aura become an instant cure or remain delayed? What is going to happen to all the regeneration afflictions? Is tendon going away or will some cures have a delayed version?  Have you guys gotten that far yet?

As can be expected: considering how monks are changing cure wise (since we don't know if mechanics will change too).

EDIT: Can we add the ability to mix multiple at once? (and fix targeting? BUY CLUMP targets rawtea it looked if available. but you have to WARES STEAM?  Can we standardize and make it WARES STEAM or WARES SOOTHINGSTEAM?)
    Punctured aura s deleted. 
  • Quick suggestion regarding the Soothing Steam: Up its decay timer. Right now it'll decay as soon as a decay-tick happens (i.e. the 1st or 13th of a month). Herbs, on the other hand, have a six-month decay timer.
  • edited December 2014
    By the way, could you guys help me compile a list of the afflictions that block standing/cleanse? (Additionally, they must only be curable via normal eat/drink/smoke/apply, not via focus body or writhe or focus mind etc) I could trawl through the wikis, but I'm a little lazy.

So far I've got:

Broken Leg
    Mangled Leg
    Amputated Leg
    Tendon
    Severedspine

I think, but I can't remember, the tahtetso ankle move also prevents standing, could someone confirm that for me please? Thanks.

• Shattered ankle stops stand but does not prone on its own, correct.

Pierced limb can cause failed standing.

Hemiplegy (double I think) prevents standing and cleanse.
  • Y'know what would be awesome? An OVERHAUL STATUS that lists A) converted afflictions (yes, I'm aware of AFFS LIST), B) the affs that they replace, and C) the affs that are about to be changed (and what they would replace). In essence, an in-game version of the table posted a page or two ago that's continually updated.
    Can we get one of the smokeable herbs cleared out before adding even more afflictions to steam curing? As it stands right now we need to have 4 pipes to cure... and chances are people that want to stay fully competitive will want artifact pipes too... and with dropping the smokeable cures from 3 to 1 anyway, there's no point in buying an artifact to have it be useless later.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Problem is...

Coltsfoot cures Anorexia, which will be one of the last to be converted (as per an earlier conversation).

Faeleaf gives rebounding, so that one won't go away.

Myrtle cures a lot of external affs, which will likely be the last to be converted.

The "easiest" way would probably be to buy your pipe rune and then get it refunded (I would assume) when the number of needed pipes are dropped to two or three. After all, Estarra has already stated that artifacts that are affected by this overhaul will be able to be refunded, and I'd assume that extends to pipe runes, vial runes and (on a personal note) keg runes.
  • We can do without rebounding :D
  • Artifact pipes are more for convenience than being fully competitive.

How do you guys feel about removing rebounding, btw?

edited December 2014
    I'd be okay with removing rebounding, assuming that physical classes are balanced around it not being a factor.

Part of what grinds my gears about physical classes, monks more than warriors, is that they're balanced taking into consideration parrying, stancing, and rebounding. There are skills and strategies that revolve around manipulating these levels of defense to your advantage, which are usually required in single combat. This is a good and interesting mechanic, it introduces a level of strategy that isn't really present in most magic classes (though the random nature of them is highly frustrating for everyone involved).

However, in a group situation, you go on turbo mode because you have a webmonkey novice with an enchantment, nullifying layers of defense that you were balanced around. Yikes. Huge damage and wounding boosts that seem intended to be a reward for intelligent and skilled execution of strategies are thrown around like candy at a birthday party!
    edited December 2014
    Saesh said:

Artifact pipes are more for convenience than being fully competitive.

How do you guys feel about removing rebounding, btw?

I'm fine with getting rid of rebounding. Might need some tweaking on warriors when it is no longer an issue. But then we get to cloud coils. Are those disappearing? If we're removing kill methods, I'd like to see options provided to the guild that will allow them to decide on a kill method to replace it.

EDIT: Arti pipes also don't need relighting and can be used underwater. It's not an issue for competitive-ness, but it does make things a bit easier to code around, too.

• edited December 2014
    You could move rebounding to a skill. There are plenty of things getting slashed from those areas so moving herbal solutions in that direction wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Have it be a no eq/bal used but needed action and give it like a cost of 5 mana or something very minor. It could fit in high/low magic and maybe even take the summer/tipheret slot if they are to be cut when entanglement stacking is removed.

• I've considered removing cloudcoils as they don't really fall into the same bucket as some of the other unique mechanics guilds actually depend on as a kill method. The options are fixing them, which hasn't been done via the envoy process so I'm not particularly inclined to go this route, or removing them. 

We won't be providing "options" for most of these mechanics other than giving the envoys the opportunity to envoy solutions or replacements. If it deemed necessary that Aeromancers need that secondary option outside the usual psionics kill methods, I'm certainly open to whatever you come up with. 
    Llandros said:
    You could move rebounding to a skill. There are plenty of things getting slashed from those areas so moving herbal solutions in that direction wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Have it be a no eq/bal used but needed action and give it like a cost of 5 mana or something very minor. It could fit in high/low magic and maybe even take the summer/tipheret slot if they are to be cut when entanglement stacking is removed.
    I'd say you want it lower than that in the skill tree... but that could certainly work.

• I'd certainly be up for making various defs into commands instead. Kafe, fire, frost, etc. The big problem is putting them in a skill where they're still easily accessible and not needing a 300-lesson dump to get them.
  • I assume charismatic smile will still cure disloyalty?
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    On rebounding - There is a very noticeable difference when facing someone who uses rebounding and someone who forgets to upkeep it. It is also very much needed to cope against monks. Depends on how much of a makeover warrior/monks are getting, but if physical classes overhaul is just considering removing a few afflictions and not getting into wounding/affliction rates and damage levels, then I would say the rebounding mechanic should be kept. Llandros' idea of moving it to a skill to eliminate need to smoke would be fine though!

If overhaul is considering wounding/affliction rate/damage levels, then sure, could do without, and would eliminate the need for people to create/copy auto-razers.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'd love to see a lot of the randomness of warrior combat get simplified. Between stance/parry, rebounding, natural misses, and RNG-based wound afflictions it makes it pretty burdensome from the warrior's standpoint (and it can get complicated from a system level to figure out parry strategies).  But of those mechanics rebounding is probably the most manageable to deal with. I'll note that warriors got nerfed with Rivius' envoy report to change group wounding, and I was hoping that that would open the door for some relief on all of these other "miss" mechanics. Will have to think about it some more, in any case.
  • edited December 2014
    Actually, monks are very rarely affected by rebounding if the monk knows what he's doing. Monk raze is integrated into their combos, and do not have as high an opportunity cost as the warrior raze-slash (cleave-equivalents). It's just a matter of coding in rebound tracking or highlighting.

I don't mind seeing rebounding taken away and warriors rebalanced around the lack of it. It'll also allow new entrants to the combat scene to not have to take it into account, though of course, rebalancing warriors around no-rebound is easier said than done.

• Rebounding can go away, honestly I think the fact we often rely on it says Knights are the theoretically most OP (4 defenses, plus RNG on the attack and they still kill people).  Rebalance to not use rebounding. 

Do NOT put it in another skill or it won't change anything. Rebounding doesn't use herb balance right now anyway, making it a skill would just add another mandatory skill but not otherwise change anything.

With the exception of nekotai, rebounding does noticably change things. I have a huge difference between razing and no razing, and guilds like ninjakari can't raze and ninshi at the same time, there are a number of changes that come into play if you have to raze.

Cloudcoils can poof!
    Malarious said:

Cloudcoils can poof!
    If Aeros get another kill method in aeromancy - sure.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    because cloudcoils happens so often, they obviously need another kill method

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.

Synkarin said:
    because cloudcoils happens so often, they obviously need another kill method
    The point is - they -can- happen in theory. Right now things are frozen due to overhaul, but I had some ideas on the matter to envoy. But either way, I don't see why any kill method needs to be removed due to removal of an affliction.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    All I'm saying is you're not losing much by removing the cloudcoils, and another kill method is certainly not required to replace it should that be the case. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Seems pretty clear to me that every guild gets at least 2 kill methods.  Does removing cloudcoil reduce it to 1 or 2+?
    edited December 2014
    Daganev said:
    Seems pretty clear to me that every guild gets at least 2 kill methods.  Does removing cloudcoil reduce it to 1 or 2+?
    1... and then everyone is pretty much locked into TK.

DW hasn't counted as a kill method for ages.
    Runes is horrible in that regard... but hey, you can get lucky with repeat runes of the same type.
    TP is well... maybe it can be done in a group fight... otherwise, forget about it.
    Even TK can easily be countered into nothingness... but that's besides the point.

I guess there's always phantomspheres, but uhhh.... after the boost from 4 to 8, they are hardly a viable kill method. Not that they've been one unless it's a group chasing you around through your meld and failing to hinder your mobility.