Simple Ideas

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited December 2014
    Both Tripping and Tripping hard actually extends balance/eq loss times, and does serve a purpose, it's not just a smiley face effect.

It also fades pretty fast, tripping hard fades slower than tripping, but they'll at most last 10 seconds after the fact.

Any forced drunkenness levels are relatively low if you have tolerance built up. I don't believe they'll last up to 30 mins after a fight, maybe 10-15, but 30 is exaggerating it quite a bit. Plus, you can just heartstop and boom sober.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Synkarin said:
    Both Tripping and Tripping hard actually extends balance/eq loss times, and does serve a purpose, it's not just a smiley face effect.

It also fades pretty fast, tripping hard fades slower than tripping, but they'll at most last 10 seconds after the fact.

Any forced drunkenness levels are relatively low if you have tolerance built up. I don't believe they'll last up to 30 mins after a fight, maybe 10-15, but 30 is exaggerating it quite a bit. Plus, you can just heartstop and boom sober.
    So... spend 300k essence to be 'boom sober'? Good plan. As to tripping hard lasting 10 seconds? What? I've sat through 25+ minutes of M&M telling me how it saved me from seeing a giant smiley face. If it also increases balance/eq loss times, then there's a problem.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    It's only 100k essence if you're smart about it.

For some reason, you're the only person in this game that has terrible luck on things working with them.

Tripping has a 33% chance to cure itself every weed tick, Badtrip has a 10% chance to cure itself every weed tick. Weed ticks happen every couple of seconds, so a badtrip lasting 25 mins is grossly exaggerated or gross badluck.  

This really goes the same with drunkeness, I just simply don't believe you because I've tested this extensively and from what I've seen, against people with artifacts and full tolerance, comes nowhere close to the claims you make in regards to being drunk (and no one else has backed you up on these either).

It also doesn't make any kind of sense that the second you learn what something actually does (when you had no idea before) it's suddenly a problem, where none existed before. You don't lose more bal/eq now that you know what it actually does vs before when you didn't, it's been the same the entire time. You should actually test skills and figure them out before making comments about 'ways to fix them'

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Is there any reason the wigs are still around? Also:

You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at an animated wig.
    You connect!
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    An animated wig rolls his eyes at you and splurts, "Pfffft."
    An animated wig runs away, waving its wooden arms.

I'm getting the feeling all those wigs are supposed to be marionettes, but they somehow escaped conversion.
  • Arena cures drunkenness too. No essence loss required.
  • edited December 2014
    Riluna said:

Arcanis said:
    Okay, this is a request and an idea in one, because I personally find this really painful to have around.

Could we please make it that things like Burnout still fade away with time (timer) when we are logged out and away? I mean you got burned out and decided rather than waiting the next 30+ minutes, you'll go do something useful, right? No...it seems you -have- to stand around (likely idling) to wait for it to fade away. Why? If we could please just make it tick away even when offline, that would be great.

Truth be told, I'd love if this could be applied to all negative timed symptoms, but im not sure how plausible it would be seen, examples:

- Drunkness (Honestly if someone is very drunk, it should be plausible that they can decide to logoff and go do something useful while their character sobers up).

- Astral Insanity (same thing)

- High (smiley faces etc.)

Though these dont inhibit your ability to still play in the game as much, they are still quite annoying.
    I cannot say I'm remotely enthusiastic about the idea that somebody could just log out to negate the peace time they get when I sic Avechna on them.

Even for the stuff you mentioned, meh. Ego burnout is completely avoidable, even when influencing stuff way above your level, and I even like the idea that it's harsher than bashing deaths. Outside of that, influencers really do have things easy. Talk to people or something, if you're burnt out.

And everything else you listed are things you willfully do to yourself. You can eat your timer for that stuff.

Im not sure how Avechna got pulled into this, but the peace time alone on that is to...offer the individual relative peace from someone. I see it as the same deal if they are there or not.

As for Ego burnout, it is more common than you think for Psionic users. Have someone hit your ego to 0 (same for healers I assume)? Burnout. Have high damage come at you with a forcefield? Burnout. Afterwards, You just stand there for the next hour or so twiddling your thumbs wondering what to do. You could go hunting...but you would be doing so not only at a disadvantage and missing some key abilities (forcefield for example), but also you'd be pretty vulnerable. No Psionic user wants to be caught with their abilities burnt out.

Drunkiness can be caused by several ways, and yes generally is from our own use, but we do so for reason. Want to see leprechauns? Drank while bashing for defense? Sipped a poteen? Ran into a Minstrel? Took absinthe while dreamweaving? etc.

Oh and Insanity...now there's a treat. Who doesnt love that. Dont think I even need explaining on this one.

I dont see why it would be viewed as a bad thing to have such timers tick away while offline. Technically what these negative effects do is bench the player and make them wait for it to clear while they can do little. Why not simply allow them to have these effects wash away when they decide to go make dinner or go to a class? I personally got psionic burnout today and took my character to my manse, I logged out and went to my classes, I came back, log in, and find my character still has burnout. Does burnout truly need to be designed around the mechanic that the player -has- to sit there waiting it out? I dont see the sales point in this as a game.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Being burned out puts you more or less on even footing with everyone with a different tert, it doesn't put you out of the game. Dreamweaving and runes have no appreciable PvE functions, for instance.
    Synkarin said:
    It's only 100k essence if you're smart about it.

For some reason, you're the only person in this game that has terrible luck on things working with them.

Tripping has a 33% chance to cure itself every weed tick, Badtrip has a 10% chance to cure itself every weed tick. Weed ticks happen every couple of seconds, so a badtrip lasting 25 mins is grossly exaggerated or gross badluck.  

This really goes the same with drunkeness, I just simply don't believe you because I've tested this extensively and from what I've seen, against people with artifacts and full tolerance, comes nowhere close to the claims you make in regards to being drunk (and no one else has backed you up on these either).

It also doesn't make any kind of sense that the second you learn what something actually does (when you had no idea before) it's suddenly a problem, where none existed before. You don't lose more bal/eq now that you know what it actually does vs before when you didn't, it's been the same the entire time. You should actually test skills and figure them out before making comments about 'ways to fix them'
    I'm assuming we're talking about different tripping hard affs. I'm talking about the one that seems to come from hitting illuminati with psychedelic aura (Considering that is the best defense to put up there, every illuminati, I guess?) and that seems to do nothing but show you smiley faces for the next 25-30 minutes. I'm assuming that one doesn't increase balance loss... because if that one does, too... there is a problem. If it doesn't, everything's fine.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Enyalida said:
    Being burned out puts you more or less on even footing with everyone with a different tert, it doesn't put you out of the game. Dreamweaving and runes have no appreciable PvE functions, for instance.
    Except the whole "lose experience like you died" part, and the "have defenses you can't use" part, and the "have a whole tertiary you can't use in either PVE or PVP" part. No offense, but that's not even close.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Altrea said:
    So uh, not that things like sparwho or rpwho actually get used, but perhaps for the sake of usefulness, something like TRADEWHO that people can add themselves to if they have a trade so people can find them? Maybe even searchable with something like TRADEWHO [ARTISAN/COOKING/Etc.]

Not sure if this has been suggested before, and I'm sure there's something dumb in this idea somewhere.
    Sweet Jesus yes. Flailing blindly for artisans is the worst.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Uh... sure you're not still confusing being shattered by an influence attack (from a denizen) and being burnt out? Hitting 0 ego (and being shattered) does not burn you out, and vicea versa. Only using a psy ability that uses up ego and having that bring you to zero causes burnout, last I checked. 

edited December 2014
    I'm assuming we're talking about different tripping hard affs. I'm talking about the one that seems to come from hitting illuminati with psychedelic aura (Considering that is the best defense to put up there, every illuminati, I guess?) and that seems to do nothing but show you smiley faces for the next 25-30 minutes. I'm assuming that one doesn't increase balance loss... because if that one does, too... there is a problem. If it doesn't, everything's fine.
    Yeah, no, pretty sure they are the same aff, except you're unlikely to get a bad trip from psychedlic aura. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet I'm not, and 25 mins is still a gross exaggeration.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited December 2014
    Enyalida said:
    Uh... sure you're not still confusing being shattered by an influence attack (from a denizen) and being burnt out? Hitting 0 ego (and being shattered) does not burn you out, and vicea versa. Only using a psy ability that uses up ego and having that bring you to zero causes burnout, last I checked. 

Using any ability with an ego cost has the same effect, the burnout from Healing and Influence are identical. I would assume psymet is the same thing, but I don't actually know anything about it. The only place "being shattered" comes from is debates. The rest is "burnout".

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Idea: Have things like POINT STAFF and other similar abilities that can be done one room away work like slinging runes

To sling runes at someone in an adjacent room, you just SLING <rune> AT <target>. It automatically slings it in the proper direction and everything, so long as the target is one room away

Currently, pointing staff works as POINT STAFF <target> <direction>, making it a pain in the rear to code an alias or macro for if you want to hit from an adjacent room
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
    Synkarin said:
    Yeah, no, pretty sure they are the same aff, except you're unlikely to get a bad trip from psychedlic aura. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet I'm not, and 25 mins is still a gross exaggeration.
    I'll make sure to time properly. It seemed a long time last time it happened, to the excess of 25 minutes, even... was chatting for quite a long while on a clan and kept getting the M&M saved you from seeing a giant smiley message (Btw, what purpose do THOSE serve if the affliction actually does something else entirely?)... but seeing that I never actually timed it, will just have to make sure to do so next time. If memory serves, it is also the same aff that comes from smoking weed, no?

• edited December 2014
    I would love if Ikons could be sorted by init/cooldown/power/ability.

I know I can just make the lists myself, but it would be nice if the IKON LIST already had a thing. I would also like to be able to delete whole ikon lists without having to do it one by one.

Edit: So, it seems you can only make 5 custom lists. So, making the sorting myself doesn't work game side.
  • >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #458 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ieptix the Anomaly                  Date: 2014-12-16 21:52:41

o LOGINNOTE APPEND <text> has been added, which appends a single line of
       text to the end of your login note.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

So this is pretty neat. What're the chances we could get this extended to, say, scrolls?
  • Avechna being brought up for this is amusing, because I understand Avechna peace already ticks down while logged off.
  • Web interface to allow for curio trading while offline, or at least asynchronously.  OR allow for trading through shops / new Curios Market.  You know, small simple ideas :D
  • Akyaevin said:
    Avechna being brought up for this is amusing, because I understand Avechna peace already ticks down while logged off.
    Oh? I wish I would have known that when I got hit with it, lol!

I just thought it fit in with Arcanis' idea because of the negative timer. If that's how it already is, that's a pity, but I guess there's nothing to change anyway. :)

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Allow people to use aethergoop to transform their Censers to another type!

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    Allow people to use aethergoop to transform their Censers to another type!
    Good luck. I tried to get that back when goop censers were originally released. No cigar.

• Re attrition: I believe the general consensus is that these are unpopular mechanics. Whether we can use that to change the mechanics is the current discussion. Unpopular doesn't always equate to unnecessary. I have my personal opinions regarding this mechanics, but a dozen other (more important) things that I am using my limited time to work through. So I'm on board with you on these in general, but it's a long term goal. 

Re logging off timers: Um no.

Re burnout: It's fairly easy to avoid in most cases (just stop using psionics/healing when you hit a certain threshold of ego. You can even code for this.) and is the accompanying risk for using extraordinarily powerful skills like healing and forcefield. Features like these are designed as balancing factors, and don't really count as such if you can just log out and go to work and come back as if nothing ever happened. Things like burnout reduce your effectiveness in PK for relatively short period of time because of a choice you made, and is intended to punish you (for lack of a better word) for making that choice. Logging out to make a sandwich is not much of a punishment. 

Re astral insanity: This is a choice you make to benefit from higher than average exp gain that literally comes to you. You don't even have to move! So...probably not going to happen either. 
  • Did it change that pysonics can force a person to burn out and that is how they "kill" them?
    Daganev said:
    Did it change that pysonics can force a person to burn out and that is how they "kill" them?
    Uh, Telepathy's instakill requirement is that an enemy needs to be under 50% ego.... nothing to do with burn out.

• Has putting quotes around a word to indicate that that word is not to be taken literally, go out of fashion while I was gone?  This is twice somebody has responded to my word in quotes as if I meant it literally.

Many years ago, I was forcefully burned out by someone, I'm asking if that is still possible or not.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Daganev said:
    Has putting quotes around a word to indicate that that word is not to be taken literally, go out of fashion while I was gone?  This is twice somebody has responded to my word in quotes as if I meant it literally.

Many years ago, I was forcefully burned out by someone, I'm asking if that is still possible or not.
    Modern... "journalism"... uses quotes in titles to emphasize a word as if it were bolding or italicizing the word. So that may be part of it.
  • edited December 2014

Saesh said:
    Re attrition: I believe the general consensus is that these are unpopular mechanics. Whether we can use that to change the mechanics is the current discussion. Unpopular doesn't always equate to unnecessary. I have my personal opinions regarding this mechanics, but a dozen other (more important) things that I am using my limited time to work through. So I'm on board with you on these in general, but it's a long term goal. 

Re logging off timers: Um no.

Re burnout: It's fairly easy to avoid in most cases (just stop using psionics/healing when you hit a certain threshold of ego. You can even code for this.) and is the accompanying risk for using extraordinarily powerful skills like healing and forcefield. Features like these are designed as balancing factors, and don't really count as such if you can just log out and go to work and come back as if nothing ever happened. Things like burnout reduce your effectiveness in PK for relatively short period of time because of a choice you made, and is intended to punish you (for lack of a better word) for making that choice. Logging out to make a sandwich is not much of a punishment. 

Re astral insanity: This is a choice you make to benefit from higher than average exp gain that literally comes to you. You don't even have to move! So...probably not going to happen either. 
    @Saesh

But isnt the very basis of these mechanics that someone is out of commission for a time, rather than punished to sit in a corner? Mechanics like this, in which do -not- tick away when logged out, are what encourage if not endorse AFKing. In truth, I rather prefer not to afk, but if I am guaranteed that my character -has- to remain signed in for 30 or so minutes as punishment until burnout fades...then I may as well play along and leave him afk in a manse while I go to class...which is a concept I thought the admin were attempting to make players cut back on (afk in general).
    Afking is allowed in manses now

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Did something change in which timers while offline, are technically feasible now?  I always thought the resources for that was a bit too much.

However, if perhaps instead of a timer, these things triggered off of day change events, it would be possible.