Dirty player secrets

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Marcella said:

Here's my 'dirty secret' - every candidate for marriage that I've wanted ends up getting married to someone else.

Lillie isn't around very often at all because of the college. I feel awful for considering divorce, but.
    So you're like Good Luck Chuck?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I really enjoy reading combat logs where people win, even if it's against citymates.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Dirty player secret: I have no idea what OTP means :( .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:

Dirty player secret: I have no idea what OTP means :( .

One True Pairing
  • I feel like there should be a category within that that basically says "European nobility. All of them."
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Kissing cousins. They exist, but not in Lusternia.

• Qistrel said:

Kissing cousins. They exist, but not in Lusternia.

Lol someone hasn't seen Magnagora family trees.
    The playa you love to hate
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited February 2015
    Actually, Qistrel's parents are kissing cousins!

Check out the family tree. Go on.

But it's kind of an odd case. You normally can't go marry your cousin, sorry.

Qistrel said:

Actually, Qistrel's parents are kissing cousins!

Check out the family tree. Go on.

But it's kind of an odd case. You normally can't go marry your cousin, sorry.

Tremula married her (couple of greats) grandmother. Gotta keep that n'Lochli blood pure, even if you can't actually make babies.

• Tremula said:

I really enjoy reading combat logs where people win, even if it's against citymates.

But what about logs where people lose? I'm sure those make up just as many logs as the logs where people win. :D
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Kiradawea said:

Tremula said:

But what about logs where people lose? I'm sure those make up just as many logs as the logs where people win. :D
    I think I'm going to start a thread where I beg people for dropboxes of their combat logs. I just love reading them and living vicariously through you lot!

• edited February 2015
    Ixion said:

Overall I think you made lucid, logical arguments throughout. I'd presume that most people would agree with the larger points and I doubt many would fault the logic of Glom doing a NAP from a practical point of view.

However, dragging Mag over coals as Lavinya put it when you had a decent weight in members and combatants only to form a NAP with Serenwilde when you're on the downswing does indeed make Glomdoring's RP looks shoddy, weak, and makes the entire org look like a chump.

"...testament to how much Glom stretched their RP in order to maintain advantageous relations." History has shown Glom's RP to circle around being selfish and/or focused on what's best for themselves, so how much of a stretch was it exactly?

Glomdoring forming an NAP with Serenwilde was, as I already mentioned, a formal extension that largely led out of the eaf affair. Pretty sure I mentioned this in my post. "mostly due to the eaf" <-- right there. The eaf affair was pretty much a Glomdoring RP thing. As a player and PKer, you bet I would like to continue playing with Mag and Gaudi as allies (which, defacto, we were, treaty or no treaty) because I love their skills and my friends are in those orgs too. Obviously I can't speak for every single Glomdoring player, but I'd be surprised if people were more interested in buddying up to Seren than Mag. But we threw a fuss despite that precisely because we didn't want to just gift-wrap up all the fae-based RP we had and chuck it into Ironbeard's rejected presents bin.

Here, let me make it clearer to you: if Glomdoring had snubbed Magnagora like Mag was a despised weakling because Mag once tortured the fae queen, and then, years of that later, ignored the mutilating of the fae and tried to buddy buddy up with them simply because Mag was getting stronger and Glom getting weaker... now THAT would make Glom's RP look weak and make "the entire org look like a chump". I also won't speak for Mag players, but if I were on the receiving end of RP'd political tension... and then started getting bootlicked regardless of RP and for no other reason than because I was getting stronger, I would be pretty pissed off, myself.

My comment about stretching RP also refers explicitly to that. It was more specifically about how long the Gaudi-Glom treaty lasted despite all the disagreements about the eaf that were had. Less about Mag, because we didn't have a treaty, so it is an argument for those two orgs only to a limited extent, and also because, like Lavinya said, Mag apparently didn't care by that point, anyway.

Every org in this game has a self-serving RP, too. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing. History has shown Glom's RP "to circle around being selfish and/or focused on what's best for themselves"? Well, yeah, and every other org too. If you really insist on coming up with a ranking of "officially selfish" RP in orgs, sure, Glom could have a good fight for the most selfish seat... with Mag. Like I also said, snobbery is a shared RP trait between all the orgs, these two just happen to have it more openly. Of course, as a disclaimer, I'm aware that Lavinya says that Mag has been moving away from that gradually for a long while now, and I'm not going to doubt her words. But RP-wise, it's not like Glom has a monopoly on the "self-advancement at the expense of others" storyline. In actual practice, as a game, orgs do help one-another when "on the same side", I know myself and many Glom pkers were more than happy to receive and give it.

• edited February 2015
    That's a lot of verbose regurgitation on the matter. I offered my personal opinion in regards to two very particular points. Rather simply, the former is pointing out, from an obviously different perspective than yours, that NAP made Glom look incredibly weak given current status of Glom's martial power. Currently, it is an objective fact to claim such status. If Glom had not been so abrasive and uncompromising in stronger times, I think others would not focus in on the contrast as much.

The latter is pointing out a glaring hyperbole. You made it sound like Glom is the paragon of generosity and flexibility, when in reality it's nothing different than Glom has always done- whatever it wants to further its own ends. Also, the "Well, yeah, and every other org too" argument is moot and poorly constructed. I have not rejected or denied what other orgs may or may not be doing.

Edited for clarity-
  • I like watching people I dislike, including city mates who have pissed me off, dying on aethersight. It's like a sort of retro-active retribution. You called me an asshole, and karma decided you had to die 5 times in a row.

Gets me through the day.
  • edited February 2015
    That's a lot of verbose regurgitation on the matter. I offered my personal opinion in regards to two very particular points. Rather simply, the former is pointing out, from an obviously different perspective than yours, that NAP made Glom look incredibly weak given current status of Glom's martial power. Currently, it is an objective fact to claim such status. If Glom had not been so abrasive and uncompromising in stronger times, I think others would not focus in on the contrast as much.

The latter is pointing out a glaring hyperbole. You made it sound like Glom is the paragon of generosity and flexibility, when in reality it's nothing different than Glom has always done- whatever it wants to further its own ends. Also, the "Well, yeah, and every other org too" argument is moot and poorly constructed. I have not rejected or denied what other orgs may or may not be doing. 

Edited for clarity-
    Uh, there's a slight discrepancy I'm a little confused about. When you say Glom is weak with this line:

"... does indeed make Glomdoring's RP looks shoddy, weak ..."

I interpreted it as you saying that Glom's "RP" seems "weak". Am I picking up on the wrong words, or reading them wrongly? My argument was about how Glom has been consistent in its RP. The "contrast" between Glom's diplomatic actions when it was stronger and currently is RP-driven - ie, there has been no change in it. My argument was about how Glom has been RPing (diplomatically), based on the same RP concepts previously as it is now, still. So I believed that my argument is in line with your perspective about RP. If I'm misunderstanding, I apologize. I wasn't trying to dislodge your argument by talking about something else.

If, in fact, you're just saying it makes Glom look "weak" as in a PK capability... well, that's the truth. Glom doesn't have enough activity to contest successfully in larger (or even smaller) conflict events at the moment. I'm sure the lack of Glom presence shows that well enough. I don't think diplomatic actions, either in snubbing Mag previously or in a NAP with Seren show or doesn't show that.

Lastly, I most certainly did not put Glom on a pedestal in terms of generosity while putting down other orgs as being selfish. I've even said that being selfish (I personally would prefer a nicer term, like "self-advancment", as I used previously) is not neccesarily a bad thing in an RP sense. Glom has always done whatever it wants to further its own ends in RP.

If, again, I was misunderstanding, and you're talking about the PK and conflicts like revolts, then it's another matter. Personally, I've always tried to reciprocate favors done by whatever org Glom is allied to politically. If Mag (or any player, actually) has the impression that Glom PKers are selfish and hoarding conflict rewards for themselves, that's unfortunate.

Edited to show who I was replying to.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    We ought to just chop off Maeve's hand/arm with the brand, guys. I think the admins not removing it YET is because of Future Plans looming in the distance. Who knows, removing the brand someday might lead to the release of Gun Mages/Slingers.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

@Alaksanteri, I hate to be -that- guy, but why exactly did you disagree? Pectus is most definitely Tremula's great-great grandparent through Enoch. (Pectus -> Zada -> Shiawase -> Enoch -> Trem)

• Lerad said:

Ah, good. For a second I was confused at why you were complaining about Glom's actions as if they were unreasonable and specifically out to screw with Mag with your original post, when it clearly wasn't the case.

It is unreasonable to demand the impossible. There were also aspects of unreasonableness with regard to the eaf. A certain amount of unreasonableness from all parties is to be expected. I get that you used 'and' and agree.

What I found a bit baffling about the eaf was the lack of good faith to get people to even see Gloms side.
    I hate seeing my essence going down. I just want to inflate it to infinity.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Yes, let's 'chop off' Maeve's brand - it's on her neck.
    Maeve and Laeroc need to churn out more baby fae!

#bringShikariback 

• edited February 2015
    Tremula said:

@Alaksanteri, I hate to be -that- guy, but why exactly did you disagree? Pectus is most definitely Tremula's great-great grandparent through Enoch. (Pectus -> Zada -> Shiawase -> Enoch -> Trem)

A mistake where I might have clicked on the wrong thing while scrolling probably. I am not going to get involved in your twisted family affairs... :p
  • edited February 2019
    -