Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I beg to differ

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celina said:
    The same reason Marcella/Arcanis attacking trees doesn't prompt the Shadow Court into action. Starting fights doesn't make people want to talk peace with you
    They've already started the fight. You're just elevating it so the IC will notice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just realise that the Iron Council really doesn't care what Marcella and Arcanis do until it impacts them.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I mean, I have raided Seren for 5+ RL years and it hasn't encouraged them to really push for peace.
  • Shaddus said:
    I still don't see why Glom doesn't just raid Nil/Prime Mag non-stop until the Iron Council does something about Arcanis.
    It's because they are held as minority opinion holders and counter-raiding would be seen as creating more persons like them. 
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited July 2015
    Or, you know, someone could actually just say something ICly.

Still so far, I've received the one tell Ssaliss sent me months ago about Arcanis, and he was handled, but then a bunch of Glomdoringers attacked back, so why would I hold Arcanis back?

Lerad sent me a tell when I was on vacation, and no contact since, so I assumed it wasn't important (I only know it was about Arcanis because he said something to me on the forums)

And Crek complained about Marcella's attack on Kraai, which led to her last warning ever until given the Revan banishment.

No one has ever said anything about Arcanis outside of the one time Ssaliss sent me a tell.

Editted: Oh yeah, Celina spoke to me, and Arcanis should not be attacking or instigating Glom in any way since as of a week and a half ago.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    And the time y'all were beating the tar out of Seren, and Marcy went after Cercis during a lull. So I proceeded to chase her away, into the Mag squad that showed. I was just stoked I got a response from you.

Though I thought *that* was the last strike.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Silvanus said:

Still so far, I've received the one tell Ssaliss sent me months ago about Arcanis, and he was handled, but then a bunch of Glomdoringers attacked back, so why would I hold Arcanis back?

Lerad sent me a tell when I was on vacation, and no contact since, so I assumed it wasn't important (I only know it was about Arcanis because he said something to me on the forums)

And Crek complained about Marcella's attack on Kraai, which led to her last warning ever until given the Revan banishment.

No one has ever said anything about Arcanis outside of the one time Ssaliss sent me a tell.

Editted: Oh yeah, Celina spoke to me, and Arcanis should not be attacking or instigating Glom in any way since as of a week and a half ago.
    (He just sends Camberre to do it for him now-- five more trees, at least, earlier today)
    I don't recall the specific incident Tarkenton, but I'm not surprised that I had given her another chance.

A little insight into my thinking process towards punishments. I do not want this game to be empty and devoid of life, I want to continue to enjoy this game, but I have felt like it has been dying for a long time. If I feel like the person would quit the game entirely if I kicked them out of Magnagora, I'll do whatever I can to try and find a way for them fit in, and avoid removing them from Mag entirely (and by extension, Lusternia). There is no doubt in my mind that if Marcella lost Magnagora for basically good, that she will never log in again. The difference is now, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

(And Xenthos, I have no way of knowing this. I am rarely if ever here at the same time as those early American raids, and I have no idea what goes on in them. If no one ever says anything, I will never know).
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Enyalida said:
    Agreed, remove the power generation, remove the elder reverting mechanism.

Edit: and also replace with some other removal method that's similar to statues.
    That would just make it worse, not better. I had to explain to a novice today that we (the characters) don't protect the trees because they generate power, but because they represent an important part of (Seren) forest lore. As players, there isn't any compelling mechanical reason to upkeep them (or to attack them, as @Celina pointed out). They generate power each day, but who really cares, at the end of the day. That's what makes it frustrating, it's hard to counter reliably, and is a noninteractive kick in the rp nuts: there is no reasonable recourse and it's done best by avoiding any kind of conflict. Making them the same as statues doesn't really fix anything, because people who are so inclined would still take them down, and forests would still have more reason to care about them than statues of random people. It would make it somewhat less trivial to chop them on a whim, especially if the change also allowed adding runes to them all, but meh. Drop or remove the power generation, and all but remove their destruction entirely. Passive power generation can be changed to something active and unique, if the generation disparity afterwards is a problem For instance (top of the head) : what about a 'Grove type' change? Sacred Trees no longer can be carved into totems and no longer generate power passively , but they always die eventually, as part of their natural cycle. Druids can establish tracts of land they tend to (using demesne rules for shape/size? ). Any nature user can plant nuts in prime territory, each spec gets some ability related to growing them. The druid is important because they spend power to make the grove immune to chopping with a power upkeep (like totem Renew). -woods could replace the runing mechanism with a new class skill that enchants trees to hinder intruders. Bards could get an ability that let's them predict the rate of tree growth/death. Wiccans could get some kind of pixie/feather bonus that makes them better at doing the power quest to generate nuts, and so on. Depending on the rates and abilities, it wouldn't be to onerous to upkeep, everyone could play a part, and some kind of active power gain related to the trees could be introduced. Or even a modest passive one, based on how many tress are elder, which would require teamwork and moderate effort. There are unlimjted ways to fix the problem, but AFAIK there hasn't ever been administrative will to do anything about this, or recognize it's a problem.
    I don't see how you choosing to justify or explain a certain thing to a novice one way or another is relevant here. Moving on..

Compelling mechanical reasons to attack them. It reduces defenses as totems are forest 'version' of statues. It causes players to spend time and attention on them, burdening your enemy's available time to do other things. It generates massive amounts of power, passively. That sounds like a lot of mechanical reasons to me.

It has been -heavily- argued in the past. A lot of city-folk were really frustrated at the admin who kept trying to convince us that it was fair.

So long as elders are tied into totem defense, there needs to be a way to remove them. Every org can even have its shield and every discretionary power removed (i.e. necromentate, star, hart, etc). Permanent, indestructable totems make no sense whatsoever.

Celina said:
    2015/07/18 00:00:10 - The Shadow Totems added 2025 power

That's a million power over 481 days. Considering the benefit of amassing power is ONLY in raising ascendants, of which even communes can realistically have three active at any time (which no one has currently), the overblown value of totems towards the contribution of a literally infinite resource isn't a real excuse grounded in reason. 

That being said, I figured removing easy harassment of non player objects with the only objective being creating more work for players through overt conflict avoidance would receive fairly unanimous support. I don't really care about the power, it can be removed. I've played long enough to acknowledge power generation is a hilariously meaningless topic when comparing orgs. Magnagora has Lavinya and Arimisia, Celest has Xena only. The implication that it's the power generated by totems that's causing some imbalance in power generation...which can only lead to ascendants...which only have pk value is pretty lolzy considering who the vernal ascendants actually are right now. Perceived imbalance, as it turns out, is a far cry from actual, practical application.

Players always surprise me!

edit: Honestly if we're going the it's unfaaaaaaaaaaair for cities route, I'd like a not blockable archway to each raidable city plane please! 
    That's at least 8 million free power (and I assume much more for serenwilde) over the course of this game's lifespan. To say that amassing power is only for ascendancy is naive, and completely false. Discretionaries are a huge deal. If the forests did not have that power gain, I am confident the guard amounts and placements would drastically change. Those from forests really have never had to worry about it. In contrast, take a peek at Gaudiguch. Due to wanting a few guard clots, they have almost a net ZERO power gain. They have to expressly choose between the guards/defenses they want, and gaining power monthly. Forests have never had to make that choice realistically.

Also, even if you look exclusively at ascendants, you wildly omit the occurrences of raising and then descending someone to a vernal demigod repeatedly. You get more flexibility in your VA based on player activity (How many people have been sad that their VAs have gone MIA?). You also get -mutliple- vernal demis which have an extra 50 demi powers weight. Multiple players with aegis/destro/etc- that's certainly significant.

Many were VERY upset over the Nifilhema plot which was 125,000 power stolen from each forest, yet you sideline a 8,000,000+ passive power gain?
    ------------
    I am glad we all can at least agree that elders in their current form are just grief-worthy, and silly. Totems need a removal method without question, but elders are just a troll :(

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Eh, is nbd to me. Just thought I'd throw it on the list, proof that us lying, duplicitous, why we never talk to you ic gloms do try to follow the proper route, rather than only come crying to the forums. Which, tbh, the whine, she said he said, and everything else the last day or two has been delicious. Do keep it up over the weekend guys. I needs my soaps.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited July 2015
    Discretionaries are free with a single bubble, which every org has had for the majority of the time since the free discretionary construct became a thing. Then we had the creation of conquest pools to severely mitigate the cost of guards. Glom, in all of its totem OPness, always picks up the free discretionary construct first. Furthermore, discretionaries are only 500 per use, which are not frequent unless abused by the lazy. What cities don't have to worry about is discretionaries on prime due to how forests and totems work in comparison to how cities work. 

The Master itself generates 7k power, the drums an additional 1k, while the guards we currently have (more than usual due to elders being chopped down) cost 2400ish to maintain. That any city is somehow net neutral because of guards means they are wildly overpopulated with guards.

I mean, these aren't abstract numbers. Costs and prices are all quantifiable things. You can't just put information out there that is easily contrasted with a few powerlogs. 2k power a month really isn't a spending spree of free power and oodles of extra ascendants. Celest and Mag could both raise active PK combatants to take advantage of aegis/destro/whatever, but they aren't, so in the actual application of power, this extra 8 million is bumpkiss. 

I wasn't upset over Nifilhema stealing power, to my recollection. I'm not responsible for the opinions of others. 

But again, we can remove the power gain if people are that upset over it, it's not a big deal. THAT BEING SAID, if equity with cities is the big hangup, I would like to see all the city players overwhelmingly support archways that can't be blocked in any way between all their planes for much easier raiding.  I don't see that happening so this can't really be about equity between forests and communes.

edit: I will also point out that city folk rarely admit that totems are far inferior for defense to statues. Most totems are actually entirely useless. Statues are actually fantastic defenses with just a sole or small handful of defenders. The nature of totems allows defenders to wander forests freely without fear of any actual defense but the odd random totem bonded here and there. There are exponentially more unbonded totems than there are bonded totems. This idea that forests have had some hilarious advantage of the years is monkey doodie.
  • Celina said:
    I would like to see all the city players overwhelmingly support archways that can't be blocked in any way between all their planes for much easier raiding. 
    Let's do it.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yeah I'm fine with it too.
    Magnagora vote for it as well

(It also makes Nil unmeldable, right?)
  • Sounds good to me. Split the difference with us. Pay Mag (Seren can pay Celest) 4 mil power to balance it out and you can have your own archway. #teamwork

• edited July 2015
    I'm definitely down for removing totem power generation and making totems work mechanically the same as statues.

Keeping the status quo is fine on theory when we don't have people whose sole purpose with raiding is to try and harrass newbies just because people told them how stupid they really were and chase them out of the game, as Arcanis has literally, repeatedly, admitted to doing. However, if we can't have nice things, like differentiation between cities and forests, and religious RP of protecting trees because we have people who would abuse it, so be it. 

Since having such differentiation is only going to be abused, do away with them. No power generation for totems. Cutting them down requires channeled action, putting them up requires a sketch of an Avatar, all totems can be runed. Outlay can be wood and clay or marble or whatever is equivalent. Nuts dropped by the forestal nexus should provide power equivalent to the difference between essences dropped by ethereal mobs and elemental mobs, and be similarly boosted by sands'd aspects. Archways at the Faethorn leading to Elemental realms should also lead to Cosmic realms when on Elemental, and nexus distort doesn't prevent transversing through them.

Problem solved. I'll even write a report for it next cycle if Celina doesn't.

Edit: Also, unmeldable comic planes sound good to me too.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Sounds good, make cosmic unmeldable and move all the smobs out of special exits and we've got a great report here.
  • Also ask for 2 more avatars and reduce the strength of them to balance them out. #XionInitiative
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2015
    Haha, what? No, chopping elders does not reduce forest defense. By definition, the only totems that can possibly be chopped are those that are not runed and cannot be runed. Runed totems don't revert. You appear to have no understanding about how totems contribute to defense: The answer is 'not at all' as they are now. I'm actually not even sure if totems can be bonded to when Hart is dead: it's a stag skill ability. The truth is that statues function well because you're getting hindered every single room. Getting hit by one totem (if you're unlucky/stupid/have no scout) once on the way in or out with no guard stack does squat.

No, they doesn't generate 'massive amounts of power'. They generate the same amount of power as having 2-3 aether rings (1000 each), or some villages (assuming you use your discretionaries and they're not already free), or fewer if you have a good wildnodes score. They don't generate in quantity, the advantage is that it's dependable. In the old days sure,
    power was harder to get. It's really not as stupendous as you make out.I'd be totally willing to have it toned down or removed, who cares?

The 8 million lifetime number is not useful for anything, because the slow drip happens over so long. I'd be interested to have someone go through the politics news to see how many each org has actually raised over time. Look at it this way: Glom gets an extra vernal (1.5 mil assuming you have two and descend one first) once every 620 days? Almost every other real life year!

This assuming that everyone has equivalent other power gains, and that all of those are totems 100% of the time, as elders make less. Also, that every totem is carved using powerstone, and not power drawn from the nexus.

Hahaha haha, guard clots what? Did you just make the case that forests have an advantage with guards because of free power when most of the cities can count their entrances on one hand? Our guards are useless. Totally and completely useless at doing anything but discouraging people from being in that one room, whee. We only keep most of them for easy midbie bashing, otherwise why bother? To keep people out would take an astronomical number of guards, forests have a LOT of exits.

Simple three pronged test:
    Does a chopping mechanic benefit you in any substantive, mechanical way? Answer: nope. Doing so does NOT slow down defense somehow, and runed totems are utterly pathetic anyways. There isn't any way to get enough people to bond enough totems to cover even half of the entrances to the forest, or a third at that. It makes us gain a tiny bit less power for a little while, and you get nada.
    Does it generate interesting role-playing? Answer: well, I don't think so. For the lost part, the people who chop totems down do so as covertly as possible and are hard to engage in punitive roleplay. If you can't mechanically stop them, they will just meet any attempts at role-playing about it with increased threats, see Svana.

The important question: For the mechanical and role-playing benefits, if any, does it unduly burden players? A mechanic can be a pain in the ass, but if it's important enough conflict, that van be okay. In this case the answer is pretty clearly yes. :c

No one is, or ever seriously has, argued that the power generation should coexist with permanent perfect totems. The argument. Entire is usually that the power generation isn't worth the hassle and isn't a comparable trade for the defensive totality of statues in keeping minor groups or singletons out.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Ixion said:
    Also ask for 2 more avatars and reduce the strength of them to balance them out. #XionInitiative
    Only if we reduce the number of spheres/fleshpots and buff them to be at the same strength as the Supernals/DLs.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Why not leave totems as they are. Why not just have chopping(NOT mulching) a tree require 10 power(which can't come from stones) and a 10 second balance loss?
    That should give us enough time to come up and kill/hinder them.

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Why not leave totems as they are. Why not just have chopping(NOT mulching) a tree require 10 power(which can't come from stones) and a 10 second balance loss?

Killing/hindering is possible at current. You can (providing you have a bard) Blanknote and perfectfifth before they can recover balance from cutting. I assume you can land an entangle before then too.
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• Taevyn said:

Tylwyth said:
    Why not leave totems as they are. Why not just have chopping(NOT mulching) a tree require 10 power(which can't come from stones) and a 10 second balance loss?

Killing/hindering is possible at current. You can (providing you have a bard) Blanknote and perfectfifth before they can recover balance from cutting. I assume you can land an entangle before then too.
    That's a pretty big if right there. It doesn't take many seconds for them to cut down a totem, and it's not a channeled action. This means that even if someone does show up and starts fighting them, they can (assuming there's no direct threat) just keep chopping down the totem and then turn to kill the attacker. Or just escape. Frankly, I think turning totem chopping into a, say, 10-minute channeled action would probably be the most efficient. People can still do it if they want to, but it's no longer the "Oh, there's no one around this minute, let's go and chop down 10 elders".
  • What systems out there are keeping up with these crazy changes? I died to something stupid last night, so I need some protection
  • As a mag, you can probably ask around for the system that Mags use and maintain. Akyaevin, maybe, is the one maintaining it? Not very sure.

Alternatively, Vadi maintains m&m, which is more or less up to date. Though it might take him some time to fully catch up if a lot of overhaul changes start to get implemented all at once. Message him or visit his website.

• Most hilarious tweet comments I have seen in a loooong time. +1 to all for comedy

Some hilarious points I'd like to focus on:

1. Totems are NOT an essential need for forests. The only totems you need are the ones you can bond and put runes to, other than that, the others are just being used for free power every day. Please stop making it as if we are cutting off your oxygen supply. At most, the main problem with totems is probably that they scream out when they are chopped, else people wouldnt be complaining as much (or know -to- complain as much).

2. @Shaddus shockingly enough, isnt me chopping the elders. Go figure at ignorance!

Lerad said:

Keeping the status quo is fine on theory when we don't have people whose sole purpose with raiding is to try and harrass newbies just because people told them how stupid they really were and chase them out of the game, as Arcanis has literally, repeatedly, admitted to doing. However, if we can't have nice things, like differentiation between cities and forests, and religious RP of protecting trees because we have people who would abuse it, so be it. 

3. Your over dramatics is as always appreciated for its good humor @Lerad, thank you.

Tylwyth said:

4. Because Totems are an easy resource to have around as is, not to mention you also get power from having trees, so you arent losing out. To try and ask for it to be made even easier is laughable and bordering on moronic.

5. Lastly, to those stating "Chopping elders has no benefit to them!" Wrong. We actually were chopping elders to get lumber and thus use that lumber to make some nice gold, which previously I was directly depositing to Magnagora. Myself and 'cohorts (as you like to put it)' saw it as a great way to make benefit of the useless forests. Now we just deposit the gold in an account and are seeing how much can be made.

:*
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Silvanus said:

He was just in Glom being a jerk over 24 hours ago.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited July 2015

Silea said:
    Like why do we even feed Arcanis anymore? If we don't name drop him he won't have an excuse to be the twat he is on the forums.
    Here come the abuse flags.

She has a point

Siam said:
    Silvanus said:

He was just in Glom being a jerk over 24 hours ago.

Again wrong....does anyone in Glom actually have valid information or are they just whining for the sake of it? I havent touched in Glom itself in weeks. However, only yesterday Glom members raided Nil, which resulted in some of our own attacking etherglom and glom itself (not myself but meh). Seems the problem lies on your end.
This discussion has been closed.