Real World Raves

Comments

• I got lots of owl related things for my birthday. And new running shoes. Feels like I am walking on clouds :)
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Rialorm said:
    I am now the registered owner of a side business. Looking to do freelance (web) development. I already got a few leads, and even a project idea I need to investigate if it has any marketability. I'm still a bit "whoah, how did that happen", but it's a good feel and that tells me I am on the right track :) With some luck and of course some hard work, I might be able to leverage this into reduced days at my main job or even becoming my main occupation one day. No running before I can walk but damn the prospect of that sure sounds awesome to me right now. 

(Yes, I know being your own boss isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but after nearly 4 years of being miserable in office jobs I think I'd rather take the risks of self-employment than the misery of office politics. And for now, as a side business, I get to try it out without losing my security. Win-win.)
    The main advice I would give is to not panic if it takes you a long time to build a client base! I had so many months where it felt like I was just yelling into a vacuum to no avail. And so much of it is about who you know, as well. Most of my clients came to me through friends. So it's also really important to take advantage of your own friends (hi) and the ways they can help.

Good luck!
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited April 2014
    hue, wrong thread.
  • Tax season is finally over.

And there was much rejoicing.
    Stangmar - Retired

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Expected delivery date: April 29th to June 1st
    Date of arrival: April 16th at 12:10 PM

Hello, red wig, my friend! :)
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    I attempted to cut my hair and, it being my first time, I borked it! Yes, friends, I broke my hair! Another thing to add to the list. A rave because it's my hair and I borked it, no money spent.

Also means I get to use my pretty new wig!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    My son loves the original Pokémon series. Which, after Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Special Agent Oso, and the like, is an excellent change of pace. Especially since I keep finding myself getting sucked into it.
  • Java may be a pain, but I love C++ so much right now. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Psh. Java is so much better. Automatic memory management, cross-platform, speed through JITC, plenty of built-in packages... What's not to love?
  • edited April 2014
    Those are good* arguments for the JVM. Now how about some for the Java language. >.>

* Except for the part where deterministic destruction is pretty much way more awesome than garbage collection.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

• Ieptix said:
    Those are good* arguments for the JVM. Now how about some for the Java language. >.>

* Except for the part where deterministic destruction is pretty much way more awesome than garbage collection.
    I honestly haven't coded much in C, so I can't point to any real "this is why the Java language is better than the C language". The real reason I didn't continue coding with C was because A) memory management (not sure if that has changed since, oh, 1995) and B) compiler availability (ditto). I always found Java to have a pretty straight-forward syntax though, and if there's ever anything you need to look up, there's always the freely available javadocs to turn to. The fact that the same people who create the language also provide a free compiler and runtime just makes it that much better; there's no need to try to find a compiler that's both good and free. Am I biased? Probably a whole lot. But that's why I use Java instead of C.

And sure, memory management can always be improved. But thanks to the fact that the GC works in the background, newbie programmers can just completely ignore the memory management aspects of coding. You don't need to know how to assign memory to write a simple "hello world" program, and frankly, in most cases you can just let the GC handle it all with little to no drawbacks. It also cuts down on memory leaks, since you don't have to deallocate memory either. Would it be awesome to have some kind of "dispose of this and immediately free the memory it's hogging" function? Yes, yes it would, especially when trying to optimise your code to be as fast as possible.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Zouviqil said:
    Java's syntax is more complicated than Greenlandic. Hate Java. </3

Rave: In 2 hours and 15 minutes, I will have survived this planet for twenty four years.
    ...Our will you?
    >:)
  • My pot roast came out delicious! My friend loved it and devoured it and I am so happy. The cheesy cornbread went over fantastic as well. I love cooking for people. :3 And I still got 4 tubs of meat/veggies and two tubs of cornbread to eat at my leisure. Happy happy.
    Also rave for my friend because she made me a happy writer's crossstitch. It now has a permanent place of my desk. :3
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Zouviqil said:
    ... I'm raving again I don't care if that breaks forum etiquette.

It's so easy to forget sometimes when you're in a shit situation that there are people who love you. I mean. REALLY love you. That they are there for you, that on a day that is normally miserable, that was supposed to be particularly terrible this year, they will make it a million times better than you could have possibly ever been prepared for.

Flowers, gifts of other various sorts, singing happy birthday to me. I didn't do anything to deserve it, to deserve friends like you all. I was supposed to be alone and depressed today.

So, again. @Ried, @Tarkenton, @Svorai, @Hiriako, @Tacita, @Karlach, @Rialorm, @Aerdiya,@Anita, and @Siam. Thank you guys. So much. You're all the best.
    OHMYGOD. I hope you received it! :) I was at the office and sneaked out...I sent it and it didn't come up on my sent items D: I worried about that.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Is the screen cracked?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    No. That's the default background
  • I did a double take because I was sure for a moment that was a cracked screen. Way to scare someone.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • The Lusternia Forums have been taken over by babies and this makes me so happy  :x

• Celina said:
    It's heeeeeeeeere image
    Congrats!  And welcome to the awkward struggle that is Windows 8.1(though it's not really that bad). 
    Stangmar - Retired

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Stangmar said:
    Celina said:
    It's heeeeeeeeere image
    Congrats!  And welcome to the awkward struggle that is Windows 8.1(though it's not really that bad). 
    I was able to obtain a free copy of Windows 8.1 through university, though I am holding off as long as possible from upgrading from Windows 7 >_>
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?