General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Doing pretty much anything defies mani/pedis. I just give up.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    My husband has talked with me about Lusternia on and off over the past couple years, coming up with character ideas for himself and whatnot. He said he'd probably play if I still did. But now that I'm playing again, I asked him if he wanted to play, and he said no! I asked if it would help if I made a new character with him, and he said no! :( But. But! 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I keep trying to get my wife to play LotRO with me, and I get the same response :( . Both I and her best friend are sad penguins about it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited July 2015
    @Phoebus did you tell him Lusternia lets you play as a dog man? That's like a major draw for some people.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    @Daraius I just told him, and he doesn't seem to care. Dogmen aren't going to do the trick this time, I'm afraid.

He actually played for a very short time in Glomdoring, so he had something to do while we were on vacation last year, but his poor guy was deleted due to inactivity. He did have fun, but just felt lost, hence his comments on playing if I did as well. But I guess maybe he didn't mean it? :( I don't know. I am sad.
  • Phoebus said:
    @Daraius I just told him, and he doesn't seem to care. Dogmen aren't going to do the trick this time, I'm afraid.

He actually played for a very short time in Glomdoring, so he had something to do while we were on vacation last year, but his poor guy was deleted due to inactivity. He did have fun, but just felt lost, hence his comments on playing if I did as well. But I guess maybe he didn't mean it? :( I don't know. I am sad.
    If he comes to glom I will send him a message about how to get around, so he does't get lost(I send it to all our newbies).
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Siam said:
    This is why I live under a rock. I loathe getting attached to people. I need desks to slam my head on. I need tables to flip. I should go ahead and build a house on a deserted island. /rantover
    #houserocksrule
    #needabiggerrock
    ?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited July 2015
     sometimes you've got to say. of a person - "there goes an asshole"

then leave it at that.

----------------------------
    not anyone in lusternia.
    is dead like the dodo
    I just spent the last of the money in my bank account on medicine to help with the physical symptoms of my stress. For some strange reason, I feel as though my stress isn't going to be abating anytime soon. 
  • Phoebus said:

if Dogmen aren't good enough Catgirls should be! there are Catgirls everywhere!
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

Backed up the files of the secretary's computer to an external hard drive, wiped the internal one (it was running Windows XP), and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. Success! No problems with the installation.

Just everything else after that.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Drivers I imagine?
    Probably. For some reason, Windows would install the driver for the external HDD, and for all intents and purposes recognized its presence, but refused to have it show up in the Explorer or let me access it. I had to use my Puppy CD to boot into that and then transfer the files over where they belong.

Then the printer wouldn't auto-install, so I had to find its drivers online from a website that knows nothing of user friendliness.

Then because we're not sure if there's even a Microsoft Office disc in the building any more, I've put up the excellent LibreOffice, but .docx files are tricky, so we're running into some (solvable) compatibility issues.

Finally, something appears to have gone wrong with the .NET framework, so I'm trying to fix that.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited July 2015
    @Everiine try OpenOffice. I've been using it for 6 years or so in place of Word and I love it. It also comes with a spreadsheet, a PowerPoint-esque presentation thing, and others.

The default save format is .odt, but if you want documents to be readable to non-OpenOffice users you can always save them as .doc or something else as well. 

Oh and it's free and open-source.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Libre office is OpenOffice not owned by Sun. Same basic program.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah, LibreOffice (when I last researched it) seems to be on a faster upgrade / improvement track because by its license it can appropriate any change made in OpenOffice, whereas OpenOffice cannot do that with changes made in LibreOffice.

That said, I still use OpenOffice myself.  They're basically two forks of the same common code.
    They are. Libre Office was born out of the dissatisfaction with the companies that owned OOO, who were stifling community contributions, and the fear that OOO would cease altogether or be sold into a proprietary software. So they created the Document Foundation, forked the OOO code, and created LibreOffice.

I've been using LibreOffice for years, and love it. But it has some trouble with .docx files, which is what the secretary here saved everything in.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ever had one of those really emotional, heavy days where things just all snowball and weigh you down and make you want to cry? I had one of those days today. Thought I was going to embarass myself a few times. Lusternia drama was just the icing on the cake of what was supposed to be an awesome day but turned into a really exhausting, crappy one.

• Don't worry @everiine.  Once you get the computer sorted out, it will upgrade to Windows 10 and you'll be back in the same driver mess.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Laugh; it's the only thing you can do to keep yourself from crying sometimes. Laugh at yourself, at the just universe, at the stress and pain and grief. Point at it and laugh. That's how I've gotten through this week myself.
    Stangmar said:
    Don't worry @everiine.  Once you get the computer sorted out, it will upgrade to Windows 10 and you'll be back in the same driver mess.  
    While I did make sure the computer would get the Windows 10 upgrade, I'm holding off on doing it as long as possible. No way am I putting us through that.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I plan to wait a few months at minimum before changing over to Windows 10. I'm sincerely hoping that all of the blowback will convince them to walk back their 'You must get all updates always, suck it' policy.
    Enyalida said:
    I plan to wait a few months at minimum before changing over to Windows 10. I'm sincerely hoping that all of the blowback will convince them to walk back their 'You must get all updates always, suck it' policy.
    I've never liked the way Windows did updates. For one, it always takes for friggin' ever to "Check for updates". Two, no matter how often I would tell it to Hide an update, eventually, months later it would pop back up again as if to say, "Did you change your mind yet?" Three, it would offer me programs I had no interest in installing, "just because". No.

• I forced the update last night.  Haven't had a chance to play around yet.  UI sure looks better than 8.1 did though. 
    Stangmar - Retired

Enyalida said:
    I'm sincerely hoping that all of the blowback will convince them to walk back their 'You must get all updates always, suck it' policy.
    I just read about that... ugh.

Boy, my nice shiny GNU/Linux boxes look so much better now.

• edited July 2015
    I miss the tweets thread.

It kind of feels pointless even coming here without it.  Weep.
  • Ellowyn said:
    I miss the tweets thread.

It kind of feels pointless even coming here without it.  Weep.
    I agree, though it -has- made me give other threads a look-see. Sad part is, most of them are really old and long dead ;-;

• I have a single penny in my steam wallet, taunting me.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I can't tweet about my news post with a zillion errors, so I must declare my dissatisfaction for it instead. The price I pay for typing in the dark and being too lazy to proofread.

(PS BRING BACK TWEETS. Just delete posts, give warnings, but don't take it awaaaaay.)

Renthur said:
    I have a single penny in my steam wallet, taunting me.
    I know that feel. I have 12 cents. Rah!