General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited January 2016
    Yarou said:
    Fun fact: you're never more than five feet away from a spider. Ever. They're everywhere, even if you can't see them.
    I challenge that, clearly you've never lived in 1 degree weather on the east coast. Bring it, frozen little bastards.
  • Pakistan 

Australia (again)

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Pakistan is so bad the spiders look at each other and say "Forget this rot, let's make a web big enough to be a house and never go outside again".
  • edited January 2016
    Vivet said:
    Pakistan is so bad the spiders look at each other and say "Forget this rot, let's make a web big enough to be a house and never go outside again".
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/pictures/110331-pakistan-flood-spider-trees-webs/

Nat Geo said this behavior was a response to flooding. 

But then there's this shit from Texas 2015 and 2007.

"He said the last time they saw such a massive spiderweb was in 2007 in Lake Tawakoni State Park, about 35 miles from Rowlett: ""At the time, the discovery of the web was more than creepy – it was a revelation to many arachnologists. That's because spiders typically work alone to construct their webs. So finding spiders working together to build a huge web in what was more of a co-operative or 'communal' scenario was a real surprise for many experts."

That's right. Spiders spinning webs "communally". 

Also I've heard that Guam had a similar problem. The issue was snakes snuck onto planes (serious) and immigrated to Guam where they had no natural predators. Snakes then ate all the birds. No birds to fly through the forests = spiders could spin webs from branch to branch and they coated the trees in webs.   
  • Kaalak said:
    Vivet said:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/pictures/110331-pakistan-flood-spider-trees-webs/

Nat Geo said this behavior was a response to flooding. 

But then there's this shit from Texas 2015 and 2007.

"He said the last time they saw such a massive spiderweb was in 2007 in Lake Tawakoni State Park, about 35 miles from Rowlett: ""At the time, the discovery of the web was more than creepy – it was a revelation to many arachnologists. That's because spiders typically work alone to construct their webs. So finding spiders working together to build a huge web in what was more of a co-operative or 'communal' scenario was a real surprise for many experts."

That's right. Spiders spinning webs "communally". 

Also I've heard that Guam had a similar problem. The issue was snakes snuck onto planes (serious) and immigrated to Guam where they had no natural predators. Snakes ate all the birds.  N
    meh, GLommies do it all the time....
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• If we had no spiders, it would be giant flies that suck our insides from the outside and our mighty Ant Overlords would rule.

I like this alternative, thank you.

but seriously can we talk about how cute spiders' feetsies are

• Someone let me know when it is safe to open this thread again.
  • I'll post a real dissatisfaction. Yesterday morning, I pinched a nerve in my back. I went outside to preheat my car before going to work, and as I was heading back inside, I slipped ever so slightly on the ice as I was turning to head up the front steps. It's been 36 hours and my back is STILL killing me!
    Besides time and bedrest, do you guys have any advice on how to make my back feel better?

DC is expecting between 15 to 20 inches (or more) of snow this weekend, it's supposed to be one of the worst snow storms on record for the city.
  • Spiders are adorable. You're all just haters.

*channels inner Viravain*
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    People in Columbus OH did this all the time. Every year it snows, a respectable amount of snow, what I consider to be decent, normal, winter weather. And every time the weather forecast predicted snow, the nearest grocery store ran out of milk and eggs. Every time.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here

Celina said:
    DC is expecting between 15 to 20 inches (or more) of snow this weekend, it's supposed to be one of the worst snow storms on record for the city.

My wife and kids leave for FL today, and they get back next Wednesday, missing it Also, I remember last year when we were suppose to get tons of snow and ended up with a few inches. I'm holding my breath

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Hell with bread and milk. Ramen, bottled water, that cool gel in a can they use for chafing dishes to boil water with. Alternatively, frozen food. You can just stick it outside xD
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Plans near me are starting to get canceled. My own plan generally involves filling a bathtub with water and moving a lot of wood into the house so I don't have to go outside. Sucks if I have to go to work though.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Plans near me are: "Snow? What snow?" As per normal over the last few years, the storms have all shifted south and miss the theoretically-snowy-but-really-not northern New England.
    Synkarin said:

Celina said:

My wife and kids leave for FL today, and they get back next Wednesday, missing it Also, I remember last year when we were suppose to get tons of snow and ended up with a few inches. I'm holding my breath
    Yeah....but last year they didn't issue a Blizzard Watch. 
  • Celina said:
    Synkarin said:

Celina said:

Fun fact: A blizzard is defined by the wind (anything over 35mph over some period of time) and not by snowfall.
    What is fun about 35 mph winds?!
  • Celina said:
    What is fun about 35 mph winds?!
    The chilling air feels nice?
    Oh, here's this on Achaea's forums about spiders. I made the mistake of looking and am currently sitting on top of my desk with my feet off the ground because nope.

And this:

• Stop posting pictures of spiders. Only @Ragniliff is allowed to post pictures of spiders.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'm tempted to post pictures of spider bites.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Celina said:
    Oh, here's this on Achaea's forums about spiders. I made the mistake of looking and am currently sitting on top of my desk with my feet off the ground because nope.

Before I looked at that thread, I never knew the spider-tailed horned viper existed.

I thought it was a hoax at first. Super stuff! Why must this be in Dissatisfaction?!

• I managed to drop my laptop-charger, breaking it. In the evening when all shops are closed. One day before I have to leave for a job interview where I need to present stuff on said laptop. Arrrrrrgh!
  • Havastus said:
    I'll post a real dissatisfaction. Yesterday morning, I pinched a nerve in my back. I went outside to preheat my car before going to work, and as I was heading back inside, I slipped ever so slightly on the ice as I was turning to head up the front steps. It's been 36 hours and my back is STILL killing me!
    Besides time and bedrest, do you guys have any advice on how to make my back feel better?
    Yes. back warmer device thingy. you plug it in and put it in between your back and a chair you are sitting in. My parents have one.

Ayisdra said:
    Celina said:
    Synkarin said:

Celina said:

Fun fact: A blizzard is defined by the wind (anything over 35mph over some period of time) and not by snowfall.
    Well, antarctica is, not only a desert, but the  driest desert in the world.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I get home from a 9 hour shift, and my stomach decides NOW that it doesn't like what I ate today.