General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Insurance is just generally terrible like that. You just buy it and pray you never have to use it.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited April 2016
    The very concept of insurance really steams my broccoli, but once I realized the typical cost of a hospital visit and the fact that driving is statistically like the most dangerous thing you can do, I got over myself and joined the club. We humans have created the most ridiculous economy.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited April 2016
    I think insurance is great, for things like renters, home and medical. I don't typically get the insurance plans for phones and minor stuff like that.

I was especially thankful for my medical insurance last year, when my wife had our second daughter and said second daughter ended up in the hospital with a bad bladder infection at 2 months and it  didn't cost me a dime because we already hit our max out of pocket during the labor. Spending 10k is a whole lot better than the 60K+ I would have spent without it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I've had too many broken bones, and my family has needed way too many surgeries. The medical odds have never been in our favor. I shudder to think how some stuff would have gone without insurance.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Renter's insurance is stupid cheap. Like $7 a month, if that. Insurance is a stupid concept until you need it, and then it's not so bad.

Rant: I was set up with this guy last night through a mutual friend. He was stunning. Stunning.  I've dated some pretty boys, and he was just ridiculously good looking. And he was a huge pokemon nerd. We had a great time at the bar (he got a little too drunk), made out because that's what you do at gay bars. Just a sexy, sexy man, and he was in to me.

He is moving to Columbia next week.

F.M.L.
    Well weren't you looking for a change of pace for the next chapter of your life?
    I used to make cakes.

• That does not include Columbia
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Columbia? Or Colombia? Very important difference.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods

???
  • Eyebrow shenanigans always give me pause.  Like when Mama Burke stole Yang's eyebrows.

• Since my heels are still sore from the blisters and my hip and ankle keep hurting, I had to run the 5k version of the virtual race instead of the 10k one I had planned. In the end, I did not get the time I wanted and my ankle started hurting even more. So off to the orthopaedist I go since I have to be fit for this year's first real 10k.
  • edited February 2019
    -
    Feeling ill. Drinking an ungodly amount of tea, but still feel woozy. Need to finish things but don't have the brainpower to. Welp.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited April 2016
    Very sorry to hear you are all feeling unwell.

I suppose it makes my rant look like child's play, but I hate waking up at 4 in the morning, and not getting home till at least 7 - 730 in the evenings. Today was my only day off in the workweek, and I'm not ready to start another 6 days. At least the work ain't too bad. Plumbing is mostly easy money. Just tiiiiiired.
    come2mag
  • My 'burb is like a small town village, despite being a major 'township' and less than an hours drive away from the capital city. Everyone knows just about everyone, or will soon within five minutes of getting on the internet.

I feel like I can't stick my face out my house without it being commented on, facebook'd and reported, even if it's just grocery shopping or taking my dog to vet.

*hermithides*

anyone esle have the same problem?

I really have no patience or inclination for village politics. Let me just buy my food in peace, smile make small talk if need be and leave k?

is dead like the dodo
    One option is to block things on FB you don't enjoy. I now have a policy where if I'm about to friend someone out of obligation, such as a friend's romantic partner, I first ask: "Are you compelled to get into arguments on facebook with people who disagree with you, regardless of whose wall the post is on? Because I have friends with wildly divergent opinions, and I don't enjoy watching them fight on the internet." Sometimes people have said "I can't promise I won't do that" so I've said "All right, then maybe it's best we stay friends in person and not online."
    Daraius said:
    I've never had Facebook and I've never seen it contribute positively to the lives of anyone around me.
    I used to make cakes.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Hey, Facebook is the only thing letting me pretend I'm still involved in the lives of people I knew years ago. I don't know how people maintained the illusion of friendship before social media.
  • @Sylandra it's not that kind of situation.

where I live, people have traditional (asian) and conservative values. They need to know who you are, where you're from and what kind of family background you have. There's a robust gossip grapevine in place. It's a series of interconnected small communities with the rural village mentality. Everyone thinks they know everyone's business. If they don't, they think they should  because they have a right to it. the internet makes information dissemination easier and quicker. What you do in public (and not so public) is fair game.  Where I live is geographically small, compared to where you live. It can be hard to get away from people!

I don't have this problem online as i've controlled for the most part what I post and where. I don't use facebook or social media much, except as a place to collect content streams for idle browsing/ keeping up with the news.  If all this nonsense just took place on facebook and the internet, I'd be mightily relieved because it's there, and It can be tracked. It can be blocked and reported. This? Out of my hands and driving me cray cray.

:| Even in lusternia I'm wondering, who is connected to whom and how do they tie in to me and where I'm at. It's a damn small world.
    is dead like the dodo
    Ah, I see. I understand that to some extent. I grew up in a small religious community, and having grown a lot since then, it can be odd to come back to my hometown and feel like I've changed a lot since I was the kid people thought they knew. I definitely agree about Lusternia being very small town, though - it's like a village! When I started out I thought things were way more anonymous than they actually are.

Best of luck to you, though. Privacy is so important, I hope you find some measure of it.
    Daraius said:
  • edited April 2016
    @Sylandra thanks!

mostly, I'm just wondering if the grass is greener on the otherside, in other parts of the world.

If this is a universal problem, I want to know in what form does this manifest and why.
    is dead like the dodo
    I think wherever you are, you wonder where it's like somewhere else. My partner moved all around the world and never really formed 'roots.' He's always sort of wished he had a place where he knew everyone, where everyone knew him, and where he could easily catch up on current events. I had the opposite situation where I got tired of being in a place where I knew everyone, so I moved elsewhere. There are pros and cons to both I think, it's figuring out what you like and value.
    Daraius said:
  • edited April 2016
    @Sylandra yep. I suppose so. It's universal human nature.  The way your partner lives, it sounds like fun to me.

I'm curious, and I want to do some myth busting. It is as they say out there?
    is dead like the dodo
    Honestly, I think he finds it very lonely in retrospect. He's not sure he wants that kind of life for his future kids. You wind up with a lot of friendships and family relationships that are strained by distance, and that can be painful sometimes. Again, grass is always greener.

My dissatisfaction: this weekend was not at all the productive free for all it was supposed to be. :(
    Daraius said:
  • @Sylandra I think, it also depends on what stage in your life you're currently at and your general temperament too.
    is dead like the dodo
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    My sleep's been really erratic this month, with extended periods of staying awake broken up by short naps, then an all-day hibernation after a couple days when it gets to be too much. I know exactly why, too, and that makes it even more annoying. It'll either get better soon, or worse; I guess I'll find out when I get there.
  • As I logged onto Lusternia today, I realized that I've really got no reason to be logging onto Lusternia anymore. The game itself just... isn't fun. I've no passion for anything that the actual game has to offer, and trying to socialize is just exhausting. For the longest time I've kept returning simply because of the players, but no matter what I can't shake the feeling that I don't belong. And trying to interact with people with that feeling pounding the back of my head like a sledgehammer just... isn't enjoyable.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Internet issues, during both an interesting discussion AND watching act 7 of Homestuck. Screw you, net.

Apologies to @Malarious and others.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I promise, birch trees, I'll find you and end you all. Stupid allergies :-(
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Aeldra said:
    I promise, birch trees, I'll find you and end you all. Stupid allergies :-(

Serenwilde grows birch trees. *point that way*