General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Xenthos even those I'll have. OR someone neuters their pollen, I don't care. I'll have them all. I'll have a pretty bonfire and invite like minded people, I guess. Birch tree only.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    The past 18 days have been unkind to me. If it bleeds in-game please thwap me on the head. I probably deserve it.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Forgot where I put purse this morning. Left late. Missed bus by 1 minute. Ran to second bus stop. Missed bus by 5 minutes. Spent fifteen minutes hoofing it back to car. Got attacked my mosquitoes. Car is low on gas.

Whoever thought scheduling me for an 80 minute morning commute was a good idea: I hate you.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I hate comparing my attitude now to how it was a few years ago. I'm so much more negative than I used to be when I'm talking about things and other people, and I get frustrated so much more easily. I still love everyone and everything just as much, but what I express doesn't show it at all. I miss being someone whose words matched their feelings. It's like there's some poisonous filter between my mind and my words that I can't get rid of, and I hate it. 
  • edited April 2016
    The past few weeks of work have been straight hell. Unnecessary pressure from everywhere to develop and deliver on a product which is meeting its already very aggressive schedule. There have been hiccups along the way, but for the most part things have been progressing smoothly. But you'd never know that if you talked with my boss or the business team we're building this web application for. The stress has been atrocious, which accounts for why I've been absent from Lusternia (and much of my real life) for a while now. Today, however... Today was the icing on the cake -- for better or worse.

For those who might not know, I work as a mainframe/web developer at a large financial firm in the Corporate Actions Processing group. My team maintains a very large, very complex accounting system that exists on a couple IBM zSeries mainframes. It's glued together with COBOL, sweat, and a lot of prayers. For the most part, it works as intended, and the business group that uses it to get their work done are very efficient. However, doing all of your work on a 3270 terminal is not as efficient as it could be, and the business would like to move the front-end of the system to the web. Obviously, with a system this large and complex, we can't move every bit of functionality over at once, thus we're moving it piece-by-piece.

The first piece we are moving is the Municipal Bond Prepayment system, which is a relatively straight-forward process that tells the user how much money the firm is expected to pay out on a given day, which companies are expected to pay out either cash or shares on that day, and which accounts are expected to receive a payout. Three nested layers which flow together nicely.

The first layer, the Payday Summary dashboard, is basically finished. The second layer is the Event Detail dashboard (which shows which companies are paying out on said pay date), and the third layer is the Account Detail dashboard. This development sprint, I was assigned to finish an HTML mock-up of the Event Details dashboard, while my counterpart was assigned the HTML mock-up of the Account Details dashboard. While both look similarly, they show completely different sets of data. I even created wireframes showing how the two pages should look (complete with some mock data to demonstrate some basic functionality).

Earlier today, my counterpart was hosting a conference call with the team to show the work that he's done with the Account Details page. However, upon initial showing of his work, it was discovered that he mocked up the Event Details page instead, which is what I was assigned to accomplish.

It gets better.

It was clear that he was, at first, looking at the correct wireframe design for the Account Details page, as the header and functionality components were correctly laid out. The data, though? Totally different than what was supposed to be shown. One would think that if you were going to display account information on the page, you'd be displaying account-relevant fields! But no! They weren't to be found! Needless to say, we were all dumbstruck by this. Throughout the sprint, during our morning stand-up meetings, my counterpart told us that things were going well and progressing fine, so we had no reason to believe there was an issue. Unfortunately, it looks like we were wrong! It looks like we're going to have to babysit my counterpart and make sure that he's doing everything correctly, because goodness forbid he follow directions clearly!

The ONLY saving grace in this situation is that we weren't scheduled to demonstrate the Account Details page to the business group. That will be done after the next sprint, which is two weeks away. So we have two weeks to fix this mess before we show it off. What the business doesn't know won't hurt them, but we're definitely going to have to figure out what the hell went wrong during this sprint, and how to prevent it from ever happening again.

Ridiculous!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited April 2016
    Waking up to go into work at a time when I'm usually going to sleep. I-)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited April 2016
    The last time I went to the hair dresser, i was charged a pretty penny (about the price of a fancy main course in a fancy restaurant - no drinks) to get it done.

I asked for 'short, layered and simple'. he deliberately gave me - 'I barbered my own hair with the kitchen scissors over the sink with my non-dominant hand and had an accident with the electric razor' :/ I am never trusting my local hairdresser again or any other salon. Not without a plan.. Its going to take me a YEAR or more to grow it out and get it fixed, right after I spent a year or two growing out my hair just so I could trim it down to a decent hairstyle!

Hey! it's not like I'm asking for the impossible buddy, just a hairstyle that's neat, doesn't get in my face and looks reasonably good on me.

Nope! it's all over the face, impossible to tie back and it'll be a pain to fix. I -really- hate getting ripped off. It's the principle of the matter that irks me the most and not the money. As in "hahaha! you're too stupid, I'm smarter than you! hahaha! I don't respect you as a person! HA! so I do this when you trust me to do my job" :/ storming back there won't get me very far, i thought it looked okay right after he finished and (figuratively) signed off on it. A week later, I find out it's not, after it has grown out a bit. yep, I feel like a dimwit.

(although, it might have been because I got snappy and rude with his wife for asking too many nosy questions. it's a local neighbourhoodish establishment. I cannot stand busybodies. my life, my business. if I chose to share, it doesn't mean you can gossip it all over the place. My only regret is not deflecting her questions in a better way or finding a polite but firm way to discourage her questions. Bonus points for being able to roast her nosy butt without leaving an avenue for retribution)

it's been -more- than a few months and I'm still steamed.
    X( X(
    is dead like the dodo
  • If it helps you feel any better, you may just be going through the usual cycle of "Women When They Get Their Hair Cut."

"Yeah, I like it."
    "I think I like it."
    "What the fuck have I done?"
    "It might be okay."
    "No it's not."
    "It's really not."
    "I want to get my hair cut that way again, it looked so cute."
    come2mag
    Man, you gotta pay attention to what they're doing when they're doing it, and call them on it if they start trying to do something crazy. This woman tried to give me a mullet, once. She had a mullet, and I think maybe it was one of those deals where the only way to get rid of the curse is to pass it on to someone else? Anyway, whatever the reason, she was acting like she was done after cutting half of my hair, and I had to awkwardly remind her that I wanted all of my hair short, not just the front of it. "Oh right, haha, of course..." Don't try to play it off! You tried to mullet me!

Anyway the point is, don't just sit there thinking "omg" when they start veering off course, speak up! If you don't realize you hate it until they finish, speak up then and try to get it adjusted to something more in line with what you wanted! It's your hair, and you have the power to object to your haircut. You're not stuck with what they give you unless you keep quiet.
  • @Tynghall I'm not that type of female. As a rule of thumb, all my haircuts usually end up looking the same, no matter what I specify. so I've got pretty damn low standards as far as hairstyles go. Nevermind following the latest fashion trends. 'aint nobody got time for that!'

Neat and out of my face is good enough for me.

My bangs are layered in the worst way possible, so I've got wee baby hairs getting into my eyes everytime I try to do something. the back is layered and uneven. I couldn't do a regular pony tail after the first week. It was dreadfully uneven, more like a loped off square tail than a graceful curve. Sides aren't the same length. best damn description = shaggy.

not what I asked for! Plus he isn't a young inexperienced hairstylist either. He's got...well over 20 years of experience. there's no damn excuse. He knew what he was doing, and did it.

(sorry lusternia, I just had to get this rant off my chest!)
    is dead like the dodo
  • Ain't nobody gonna be upset about you venting that. I'm sorry to hear about your shitty hair stylist.
    come2mag
  • edited April 2016
    @Tynghall thanks! it does make me feel a bit better reading that.

@Phoebus next time I will. To heck with the local values of 'politeness'. I've got a big mouth, and i'm going to use it.

Also I don't know why I kept quiet! grrrrrr....
    is dead like the dodo
    edited April 2016
    Sylandra said:
    Daraius said:
    Waking up to go into work at a time when I'm usually going to sleep. I-)
    @Sylandra, bb, I love it when you piggyback off my posts to get some of those sweet sweet likes, but could you please at least throw one my way when you do it?  ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Feels weird to "like" your pain but ok.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    That pup did improve my morning. :)
    I used to make cakes.

After years of "umMMMMM GOOD ENOUGH?" I'm trying to actually learn a way of drawing wings on a humanoid that, y'know, actually makes even a little bit of god damn sense. This is dissatisfaction because no matter how many times I look at wings and draw the skeletal structure and whatnot, my brain just cannot completely wrap itself around the foldy flappy mechanics of it all. On an actual bird it's easier because you can refer to real life examples and work out how it all goes, but slapping some on some dummy's back and trying to make it even remotely logical is...argh.

I knew I couldn't get away with the "McDonald's arches with some scribbly-wibblies in them" approach forever, but it was a good run while it lasted. Time to actually learn a thing.
  • @Phoebus i have the same problem too.

Try to model it as a 3D figure in your own head as you look at it and when you draw it.

Also are you just venting or asking for advice?
    is dead like the dodo
    @Phoebus, bb, I love it when you draw McDonald's arches with scribbly-wibblies on them, but could you please focus on drawing cute dogmen in nice clothes instead?
    I used to make cakes.

Xeria said:
    @Phoebus i have the same problem too.

Try to model it as a 3D figure in your own head as you look at it and when you draw it.

Also are you just venting or asking for advice?
    Just complaining. I've got the resources, I'm just frustrated by how difficult it is to get myself to absorb the information! I kinda struggle with thinking about things in 3D space, which can be...a bit of a hurdle when it comes to drawing.
    Daraius said:
    @Phoebus, bb, I love it when you draw McDonald's arches with scribbly-wibblies on them, but could you please focus on drawing cute dogmen in nice clothes instead?

Ok, but I still can't draw dogs.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Ugh, why does @Daraius get all this fanart and I don't. :(

Maligorn said:
    Have you tried being a cute pupper with good fashion sense?
  • edited April 2016
    I got yelled at by a drunk 21 year old last night because he asked me if I though he was attractive and I told him he was an angry fetus.
    edited April 2016
    Phoebus said:
    Maligorn said:
    Have you tried being a cute pupper with good fashion sense?

He did try that for a little while, actually! I was planning to make some cupcake based loboMali fanart but I never came up with a good excuse to tell my coworkers when they asked what I was doing.
    I used to make cakes.

• @Daraius pass it off as Zootopia fanart?
    is dead like the dodo
    Good thinking. I could probably even put in a fake order for the cupcakes I have in mind and nobody would bat an eye. :D Now if only we weren't short staffed, I could set aside some time to play around with decorations without feeling too guilty.

Speaking of.. This weekend I had to take over the baking shifts, which meant showing up for work at 4:00 am on Thursday and Friday, and 2:00 am on Saturday. The disruption of my sleep schedule was rough, but the worst of it all was Saturday night. I'd planned to see a double feature of Zootopia and Jungle Book at this drive-in theatre. It was going to be a totally unique, fun, experience for me and my sister, and we left in time to arrive within fifteen minutes of the gates opening. After a 40 minute drive and at least an hour waiting in a line of traffic to get in, we ended up being about 10 cars too late to get in. :((

I used to make cakes.

• edited April 2016
    @Daraius that stinks!

I bet you could get a lot of mileage out of 'zootopia fanart'. Think of all the lusternian characters with fur you could do!
    is dead like the dodo
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    But then people will realize they don't look anything like the characters in Zootopia and assume he is a creepy furry.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Psh! as long as he puts nick and judy in there somewhere, it'll be all fine
    is dead like the dodo
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Here's my dissatisfaction: installing things in Ubuntu.

I might be an idiot. There's a very real chance of that. I'd go so far as to say that it's likely. I spent three hours today trying to figure out how to install the Linux client for Steam. I have the Windows one working through PlayonLinux. That was easy. I'm good at installing Windows programs in Ubuntu. But things that are supposed to run natively? Not so much.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.