General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Search for Steam in the software center, or run sudo apt-get install steam from the command line (I think steam is the package name, but not 100% sure).
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Already tried it. Steam shows up in the software center when I search for it, but when I click on it the software center says that there isn't a software package named Steam in my sources. I've tried installing both with the download from the Steam website (.deb package, opened with the software center) and with the sudo thingy, but Steam doesn't open when I run it with that. No error when I run the application, just a general lack of anything happening. I'm assuming that I'm doing something really dumb somewhere, but I can't figure out what it is. I had it working a while back before I had to reinstall Ubuntu because I utterly failed to install some drivers, which makes me even more confused as to why I can't get it to work now.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Do you get any output from running the steam command from the terminal?
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited April 2016
    Today I learned that I can run Steam through the terminal. I got this:

Running Steam on ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1450127196)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Googling to try and find those drivers put me here, and those instructions seem to have fixed it. I don't really understand what it did, but I'll take it. I appreciate the help.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Centipedes. :( I have a centipede phobia and there have been so many in the house lately. I was just informed that a huge one ran under the fridge last night and has not been seen again. My cat's been highly interested in the bottom of the fridge for days, so that makes me feel extra gross. I guess I have to add the kitchen to the list of rooms I'm afraid of. So that's...the basement, the kitchen, the bathroom, my bedroom...ugh. I'm running out of safe rooms. Phobias are dumb and bad and I hate them.
  • X(

and it's the wrong kind of anger too. :(
    is dead like the dodo
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Getting yourself of what feels like caffeine addiction is a fun little experience. I consume way too much of the stuff and it's messing with my sleep cycle, so I decided to get off of it. Heck it's hard <.< and I feel more and more sleepy and unfocused :(
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Getting yourself of what feels like caffeine addiction is a fun little experience. I consume way too much of the stuff and it's messing with my sleep cycle, so I decided to get off of it. Heck it's hard <.< and I feel more and more sleepy and unfocused :(
    Yeah. When I decided to kick my caffeine habit the first time (hello, relapses), I essentially slept through two entire days. I woke up, ate something, and went back to sleep. Woke up, went to the bathroom, and back to sleep.

Granted, at that point I drank approx. 2L of Cola per day, so it was one heck of a withdrawal.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I haven't had caffeine (or any sort of soda) since March 30th. Coming off of two to three energy drinks, plus minimum a liter of Coke Zero a day was rough. Good lord, the headaches. Got better after a couple of days though, I'd recommend chugging lots of water and some peppermint tea.
  • I've also found that there are two sides to the addiction (at least if you're talking energy drinks/Cola): caffeine and sugar. What I've been doing is dropping the Cola for caffeine pills; essentially, I drop the sugar addiction before the caffeine addiction, and then slowly cut back on the caffeine pills after a couple of weeks.

Granted, this method won't really work with coffee etc.

Also, I've been doing this way too often, it feels like.
  • Phoebus said:
    Centipedes. :( I have a centipede phobia and there have been so many in the house lately. I was just informed that a huge one ran under the fridge last night and has not been seen again. My cat's been highly interested in the bottom of the fridge for days, so that makes me feel extra gross. I guess I have to add the kitchen to the list of rooms I'm afraid of. So that's...the basement, the kitchen, the bathroom, my bedroom...ugh. I'm running out of safe rooms. Phobias are dumb and bad and I hate them.
    For me it's crickets.

And my gecko eats crickets. I did not think this one through.

(She currently eats mealworms because while they're still gross, they don't jump.)
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • Sylvanas said:
    For me it's crickets.

(She currently eats mealworms because while they're still gross, they don't jump.)
    Crickets in a can? At least they're dead. :D My gliders love these. 

Zarialle's first dance:
    Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.
  • My landlady bought new crickets for the geckos today (they technically belong to her son so she wants to buy their food). I hope, they don't chirp when I want to sleep.
  • Zarialle said:
    Sylvanas said:
    For me it's crickets.

Crickets in a can? At least they're dead. :D My gliders love these. 

Has to be live or she won't eat them.

Thyelleia said:
    My landlady bought new crickets for the geckos today (they technically belong to her son so she wants to buy their food). I hope, they don't chirp when I want to sleep.
    What's weird is in the past I've had batches of crickets that don't chirp and batches that did.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • Chirping crickets + frog croak = amazing sleep.

Maybe I should find me a pet frog....

And I understand, @Phoebus. House centipedes in particular freak me the hell out.

As for everyone weaning themselves off of caffeine, I'm throwing myself further into the pit, and I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
    come2mag
    Tynghall said:
    Chirping crickets + frog croak = amazing sleep.

Maybe I should find me a pet frog....

And I understand, @Phoebus. House centipedes in particular freak me the hell out.

As for everyone weaning themselves off of caffeine, I'm throwing myself further into the pit, and I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Yeah, house centipedes are the ones that send me screaming into the night, and unfortunately they're the sort that thinks my house is a great place to live. I hate all kinds of sinuous yuck bugs, but those freaking horrorbeast legs make me want to scream while puking and burning my house down. Eurgh.
  • When I moved into my old apartment, I noticed this massive leggy thing wandering around. I screamed, figured out what it was, named him George and had a roommate for a few days to a week. He was massive, like, a foot long, and too big to squish, and like hell was I touching that thing. No living creature needs that many legs, hellspawn. 

Here we get ants and spiders. It's getting warm, so we had to poison the house again. I may have been excessive with the poison, but I don't care. It's pet safe(as long as he doesn't lick the windows, which he hasn't so) and has an easy applicator. And by applicator I mean a battery operated bug poison super soaker. 
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • So, while out of work I have been working on completing some schooling (Kinesiology and Personal Fitness Trainer) I had to drop a couple years ago. My practical and theory exam for Personal Trainer were supposed to be in 2 weeks, but the person who is supposed to be my "client related case study"  informed me he is moving and won't be able to proceed... Now I have to try and reschedule my practical.
  • Demartel said:
    So, while out of work I have been working on completing some schooling (Kinesiology and Personal Fitness Trainer) I had to drop a couple years ago. My practical and theory exam for Personal Trainer were supposed to be in 2 weeks, but the person who is supposed to be my "client related case study"  informed me he is moving and won't be able to proceed... Now I have to try and reschedule my practical.
    At first, I read all instances of 'personal' as 'pokemon'. Which was mildly confusing.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • edited April 2016
    bah! I'm at that cute dog cafe with everything I need...and only have the ability to aimlessly internet!
    is dead like the dodo
    Tridemon said:
    Demartel said:
    So, while out of work I have been working on completing some schooling (Kinesiology and Personal Fitness Trainer) I had to drop a couple years ago. My practical and theory exam for Personal Trainer were supposed to be in 2 weeks, but the person who is supposed to be my "client related case study"  informed me he is moving and won't be able to proceed... Now I have to try and reschedule my practical.
    At first, I read all instances of 'personal' as 'pokemon'. Which was mildly confusing.
    Pokemon Fitness Trainer... Oh. My goodness. That is the cutest thing I've read all week. 

I wonder if that's how Pikachu went from being a neckless fatlard with a ketchup obsession to his more marketable shape?
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Xeria said:
    bah! I'm at that cute dog cafe with everything I need...and only have the ability to aimlessly internet!

I need to know more about this dog cafe concept.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • @Daraius it's a concept that started in japan. It's basically a cafe with cute animals running around. You can pet the animals as you eat your food and drink your coffee. You can also bring your own pet along to play with the animals at the cafe. There are cat, dog, owl, and hedgehog cafes in japan.

I one I went to, had only toy breeds - pomeranians, maltese, poodles, and a small bulldog -like creature. All lapdogs. I don't like yap dogs because they're really noisy and irritating but these fellows were really well behaved! if you picked them up, they'll go right to sleep on your lap. They dealt with being picked up and handled very well, and liked the attention. Though they'd be taken away by the crew when they looked liked they had enough. I'd bring my own dog but she doesn't like small yap dogs. She tends to attack them if they're not behind a fence. Thankfully she's old. (13+) so nothing comes of it.

Hey, maybe you can start one down where you're at! :P
    is dead like the dodo
  • edited April 2016
    @Daraius with a little google-fu, I found out that there's a dog cafe in LA run by a ex-KPOP trainee called Sarah Wolfgang. Is it really far from where you live?

https://www.facebook.com/TheDogCafe.LA/
    http://www.thedogcafela.com/
    is dead like the dodo
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    About as far as you can get without crossing Canada or the Pacific. :)) Thanks for the heads up, though. I actually did have a moment of wondering whether this could be a viable business 'round these parts.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited April 2016
    @Daraius since you own your own home and have dogs, i bet you could give it a go as a weekend business. Post a cover charge, make drinks and food. Invite people over via meet-up page or facebook and so on?

Do your research into your local laws first though!

Also, I'm confused. So you live in the UK? or alaska? I was under the impression you lived somewhere in the USA!
    is dead like the dodo
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    LA is on the opposite coast. So it's a pretty substantial drive or flight!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited April 2016
    @Sylandra oooooohh....
    :(|)

@Daraius that stinks! guerilla picnic's/BBQ in a scenic setting? would that replicate the feel of a cat cafe? Just make sure you've got cute critters running around?

or a pet store cafe. You feed the pets and not the humans!
    is dead like the dodo
  • I love dogs but I don't need a pack of them begging me for food at a cafe. I get enough of that at home. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Me lately: