General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Why are quests just allowed to break down and fall apart? Yes, I understand coder resources are limited. Yes, I know the people who wrote them originally might not be around. But leaving bugs around for weeks, months, or years is just BAD.
  • Love when an app that I paid for goes free.  LOL Swiftkey.
    Stangmar - Retired

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    So, my main PC finally has overheated for the last time I think. The power (I think) won't stay on. I turn it on and after a few moments it turns itself off. THe CPU fan is on so it's not that. I smelt a distinctly hot metal (motor?) smell before it went down. Kinda stressed now cause that PC is my life and I won't be able to afford another one anytime in this century.
  • Apply canned air to the fans and check the CPU for thermal paste.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Munsia said:
    So, my main PC finally has overheated for the last time I think. The power (I think) won't stay on. I turn it on and after a few moments it turns itself off. THe CPU fan is on so it's not that. I smelt a distinctly hot metal (motor?) smell before it went down. Kinda stressed now cause that PC is my life and I won't be able to afford another one anytime in this century.
    My last PC had a similar, mysterious fate. In lieu of buying another, would you be able to have it sent off somewhere for inspection at least? Still not ideal, but if you're lucky the cost will be at least a bit less than starting fresh.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    edited June 2014
    I see nothing around the cpu and I did air it down. It starts up, and even gets past the main loading but just as it goes to load the windows login, it shuts down....

The good news is I actually own 2 pc's that are both fully equipped with my system.. The problem is my roommate has been practically given said PC to use to game on and I feel it would be exceedingly rude for me to say 'No they're both mine, I need that to play Lusternia'. 

I feel that I might...become...a casual x.x
  • What, if they're yours swap them and tell your roomie to fix the other one.
    Cause we're all in dire straits for cash...
    It's not the HDD. Put it in another pc and it booted up just fine. The CPU has white stuff on it but it's not creamy or thick and it's just a fine layer that scrapes away at the nail. That's the only other thing I can think of. I've had power issues with these supply units before but they also ALWAYS blink when they're broken....this one is not blinking and stays on solid the whole time. I don't know how to exactly narrow down that it IS the cpu however before purchasing one.
  • could take it to your local box store (I advise against Best Buy), and they can diagnose your problem usually for a set price. When my computers liquid cooling went out (I didn't know that was the problem at the time) it did the same thing you are describing and it ended up running me about $150 at Staples to get fixed all together. If you are sure it is an overheating problem, you could try new cooling and if you know someone who can put it all int for you it'd save you.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Arcanis said:
    I  generally dislike reply posts that attempt to belittle the person with terms like "little <person>" and "we are amused by your antics" and "You wont even stand in a spot to fight meh!". Seriously..try to be more creative in your disagreements. Your post does the opposite of your intention, in that it makes -you- look bad, rather than whom you are directing your commentary at.
    IC I call people 'little' only when I'm a Wildewood, to remind them that I'm damn huge as a wildewood. Racial RP, one of the only good things about -woods.
  • @Munsia: Since you have two machines, swap the PSU on both and see if your machine stays on. If it does you know it is the PSU. It sounds very similar to when I had one fizzle out so it wouldn't surprise me if it were that. No guarantee but a good starting point and will save you a trip to a store where they will basically do the same anyway.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Just had to send management a mail because the lead dev called me a "child who needs constant handholding so she can do her job". This after getting berated lately for not asking for help quickly enough and wasting time. Yeah dude, I don't care you are a star programmer, you treat your colleagues with respect and if there is a problem you tell them and we talk about that. I'm done with dreading going to work because of the way things are going lately. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Was going to say, sounds like psu to me. Just because prior ones blinked doesn't mean this one will.
    Tarkenton said:
    Was going to say, sounds like psu to me. Just because prior ones blinked doesn't mean this one will.
    It's not the PSU. I hooked up the PSU from my other PC and it still did it, and that PSU is brand new.
  • Munsia said:
    Tarkenton said:
    It's not the PSU. I hooked up the PSU from my other PC and it still did it, and that PSU is brand new.
    overheating
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• down where I'm at, it's so hot that even the inside of my house offers no relief.  I think it's got to be 35 degree celcius PLUS even on a cloudy day. 

Excellent weather for laundry but not much else. 

I live in the tropics. I'm used to average temps  of 30-34 degrees celcius over the course of the day.
    is dead like the dodo
  • It gets over 40 here easy.
    Stangmar - Retired

• This seems to be the week of sick animals and vet visits. First, Donnatella developed a tumor in her cheek that needed checking, and just now my roomies and I found an injured field mouse while taking out the trash. We took it to the vet clinic and they said that they'd try to mend her leg and if that does not work, put her down.
  • Woken up at 3 am this morning by the sound of banging and pounding on the door.  I ignore it for a few minutes, then it changes to the sound of forced entry in the back.  I walk out into the living room, gun drawn.  

Turns out it's my landlord's f****ing ex foster kid, who decided he wanted to sleep over.

Thanks for alarming me at 3 am you little bastard.
    Stangmar - Retired

edited June 2014
    So, I screwed up my ankle taking a walk today. I stepped into a snake hole and my foot went sideways inside of it. It aches terribly so much so that I can't even stand up from my recliner, and everyone left the house. I'm thirsty, I'm hungry, and I gotta pee :((
  • edited June 2014
    Drink your own pee - then your 3 problems go down to 1.

You're welcome.

Edit: Technically 4 problems down to 2 since your ankle is still borked.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Boil it first though, least that's what Bear Gryllis seems to suggest.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

8-|
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited June 2014
    Munsia said:
    8-|
    If it's good enough for Madonna...

Edit: Side effects may include strange taste of fashion, urge to adopt third world orphans, and awkward makeouts with popstars in a pre midlife crisis.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• This must be how Obama feels. All I try to do is help, and this is my thanks.
  • Munsia said:
    So, I screwed up my ankle taking a walk today. I stepped into a snake hole and my foot went sideways inside of it. It aches terribly so much so that I can't even stand up from my recliner, and everyone left the house. I'm thirsty, I'm hungry, and I gotta pee :((
    Did you hear a popping sound when you borked it?
    Horvath said:
    Munsia said:
    Did you hear a popping sound when you borked it?
    No I didn't hear anything. I fell! But it clicked all the way back...tbh I can normally click my ankle though.  I had to walk a half mile home after that.
  • @Munsia well, I sprained my ankle once whilst tripping and sliding on it, and it made a gnarly popping sound which I later learned was the sound of one of the tendons being snapped, so as long as you didn't hear a very audible pop and you have little to no swelling, your ankle should be okay.

If you had heard a cracking sound, on the other hand, that would mean it was broken. But you heard nothing, so I don't imagine you have much to worry about, at least.